ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Today's header Return to archive
July 24th, 2005 04:46 PM
Gazza That photo really does bring a lump to the throat...

I was right down at the crash barrier at stage centre too. Eighty thousand people were at that show and fortunately I was in front of practically all of them. Mick hosed me down twice, I think!

That feeling at precisely 6.05 pm when the curtain opened to the first bars of "Under My Thumb" and out they came within a few feet of me is something that simply cant be described.

Ireland had never seen a show like it before. For those who dont know anything about this place, Slane is a tiny village of about 500 people (but with 6 pubs!!) about 20 miles north west of Dublin, situated on the River Boyne. Slane Castle is the ancestral home of an English aristocrat, Lord Henry Mountcharles ("Lord Hank") who started letting the grounds out once a year for concerts in the early 80's. The castle grounds are a magnificent, sloping natural ampitheatre in a beautiful setting. Mick Jagger afterwards described it as the most beautiful concert venue he'd ever seen.

There had only been one concert at Slane before, with Thin Lizzy playing there the year before with some new band called U2 supporting them, but on a much smaller scale than this. There was no gig in '83, Dylan played there in '84 and Springsteen the following year so I got my 3 favourite acts in three 'Slanes' in a row. Its now a regular festival event in the calendar over here, but nothing's ever touched that one.

This was the first Stones concert in Ireland since 1965. No one in the crowd seriously believed they'd tour again after this. After all, Mick would be 39 in a couple of days time and it would surely be physically beyond him to run around a stage like that when he was in his 40's.. wouldnt it?

When they left the stage, he said "we'll see ya again some day". Quite a few wry smiles at that one, I remember at the time.

Well, they kept their promise. Twenty one years later they came back!!!

Some more from Denis O'Regan

http://www.esposedrock.com

[Edited by Gazza]
July 24th, 2005 05:46 PM
Madafaka Nice header and nice story, thank you Gazza!
July 24th, 2005 05:54 PM
sirmoonie Cool story Gazza. Tx.
July 24th, 2005 08:09 PM
LadyJane Nice memories, Gazza.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Slane Castle. It's been my dream to see the Stones play there and it sounds so beautiful.

LJ.
July 24th, 2005 11:43 PM
Mr Jimmy Hey Gazza

Thanks so much for sharing the memories... I get emotional thinking about my first time too. I really wish that more people at Rock's Off would post something, anything, about their first Rolling Stones show. I really don't care how long ago it was (tour vintage snobbery) because we all know that our first show was a very special time indeed.
July 25th, 2005 06:50 AM
luxury1 What a great shot. I am getting all crazy with nerves now.
Here's to making some more memories on the upcoming tour!!!
July 25th, 2005 09:30 AM
nankerphelge Wow! Excellent pix and neat to hear about your first time Gazza (can you find yourself in the pics?). I wasn't against the barrier, but I was about 40 feet from the stage at my first show in '81. You really cannot describe that feeling when you first see them -- it is beyond excitement -- it is nearly religious.

Goddam I have the fuckin' tingles...

July 25th, 2005 09:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Wow! Excellent pix and neat to hear about your first time Gazza (can you find yourself in the pics

no, but very friggin close. More so in the second pic (the one in my post above) if I remember right. Those monitors are in the way!
[Edited by Gazza]
July 25th, 2005 09:46 AM
nankerphelge Too bad -- that would be a neat pic to hang on the wall in the bar -- Mick, 80K people and your mug right in the front!!!

I remember they pulled that big curtain open in Buffalo and there was Mick running full tilt to the middle of the stage and he just jumped in place waving his big ol' hands to everyone. What a rush - I can still feel the tingle of that first show.

And when they finished, he said "see ya again" and we all thought NO WAY -- end of the road. Howe silly!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
July 25th, 2005 10:22 AM
Zeeta I'd fuckin kill to have been there Gazza, I'm glad you rocked it too!

Nank - it is not nearly religious it IS religious! Well for me anyway man!

Wonder where the "Mick" jacket is now I'd love that! Imagine going into your local wearing that! LOL!

Leggings optional!

On that tour Keith started to look like "mother" from Psycho! Still a cool "mother" from Psycho! haha
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)