ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SOL is not good enough to be the first single Return to archive
July 23rd, 2005 11:35 PM
Poison Dart How can the Stones even think about putting SOL out as the first single when they have at least 2 killer tracks (RJ,ONNYA) waiting on the sideline?

SOL is an ok album track (the 2005 version of Anybody Seen my Baby) but it is not good enough to be the lead single.

We don't want another episode like Bridges to Babylon where the band picked a "trendy" song (asmb) rather than the best track on the album Saint of Me.

It hurt the album then. And it would kill the new album now.

Bury Streets of Love and release Rough Justice.
July 24th, 2005 12:05 AM
Bloozehound this SOL dilemma is like when you pick your nose and dig out a real nasty, dangly booger that you can't flick off, so you then wipe it off against your jeans, but its so nasty and dangly that it sticks to you jeans, so you gotta rewipe it to properly dispose of it out of site under a desk or something, but then when you try to do that you wind up smooshing that damn nasty, dangly thing on your fingers again and you can't get it off, so you freak and make a beeline to the nearest bathroom to wash your booger fingers off, all the while looking straight down not making eye contact with anyone who might recognize you and want to shake hands
July 24th, 2005 01:05 AM
texile good analogy bloozehound - once the bugger is out - it doesn't just dissapear, its already made its mark - like this song.....its just an ugly waste.
July 24th, 2005 05:26 AM
exile Isnt everyone being a little harsh to this song?
Its not that bad....

sure it shouldnt be the single but its not that bad.
July 24th, 2005 06:13 AM
Honky Tonk Man Like Poison Dart, I also feel that Streets Of Love is a poor choice for the first single, though maybe not for quite the same reasons.

My problem with the song been released as the first single is that it's just not Stonesy sounding enough and may alienate some “older” fans. However, that could be a plus point. It's mainly kids who buy singles and where as they may be put of buying a record by some very old and un-cool rockers (In they're opinion!), if they don't recognize it as something they're mums and dads listen too, then there could be hope for the single scraping the top 40!
July 24th, 2005 06:30 AM
gotdablouse Get over it guys, this song is better than most of the stuff out there, has a killer hook and is "loose" enough (listen to the sloppy guitars and thumping drums) to please the reasonable fans.

RJ does kick much more ass of course, make a double-A like Faraway Eyes and BoB !
July 24th, 2005 07:21 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Get over it guys, this song is better than most of the stuff out there, has a killer hook and is "loose" enough (listen to the sloppy guitars and thumping drums) to please the reasonable fans.

Rough Justice is an enjoyable track. I have never disputed that, but it's hardly going to set the music world on fire.

It's better than most of the stuff out there? Have you listened to any of today's guitar bands? I’m sorry, but Rough Justice doesn't hold a candle to ANYTHING released by The Killers, the now deceased Libertines, Kasabian, Razorlight, or any other modern band I happen to like at the moment.

July 24th, 2005 08:18 AM
jb SOL is not good enough to wipe Joey's ass with,,,,if this is the single, I in all candor, know they have no concept of what their fans want.
July 24th, 2005 10:16 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Rough Justice is an enjoyable track. I have never disputed that, but it's hardly going to set the music world on fire.

It's better than most of the stuff out there? Have you listened to any of today's guitar bands? I’m sorry, but Rough Justice doesn't hold a candle to ANYTHING released by The Killers, the now deceased Libertines, Kasabian, Razorlight, or any other modern band I happen to like at the moment.

We need something in the vein of Midnight Rambler to really rip through the rock and roll scene again! Show the world that they are the best rock and roll band by far STILL!

Wishing Neo Con was going to be some kind of Sympathy for the Devil come Fingerprint File
July 24th, 2005 10:18 AM
Some Guy Not a good first single at all!

Based on this song the new album shall be called-

Bringing The Weakness.
July 24th, 2005 10:35 AM
souldoggie Why are some assuming that SOL is the new Stones single? It could well be the B-side. Perhaps Rough Justice is the A-side, or as one would call it, the new single.

Like most all new Stones tracks, or any new song for that matter, I never know how I will end up liking it, because I have to listen to the song over time. Longer then say a day or two. Often a song will grow on me, and a track that I at first didn't care for, will end up being one of my favorite tracks.

I feel so fortunate that I have a new single by these guys, all of these years later. And I am really digging both tracks. New Stones songs, summer of '05 and I love them both. Am I lucky or what?
July 24th, 2005 10:35 AM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Not a good first single at all!

Based on this song the new album shall be called-

Bringing The Weakness.

More like "8 years to make a dump"
July 24th, 2005 10:40 AM
Snappy McJack As far as I know, RJ is the single here in the US -- don't know about other countries. According to FMQB it is the single and that's a pretty reliable source for this sort of information.
July 24th, 2005 10:54 AM
T&A I like bloozehound's booger analogy. I'm frankly embarrassed by SOL. And I don't believe RJ will convert anyone. Just a very unimpressive first coupla salvos by the lads - tsk, tsk, tsk....
July 24th, 2005 02:51 PM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:
More like "8 years to make a dump"

8 years to bring the weak dump!
July 24th, 2005 05:17 PM
Poplar
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
8 years to bring the weak dump!

now THAT is an unsatifying trip to the WC.
40 posts to go, baby. Don't Stop!

[Edited by Poplar]
July 24th, 2005 05:34 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Poplar wrote:

now THAT is an unsatifying trip to the WC.
40 posts to go, baby. Don't Stop!

[Edited by Poplar]

sup P?
July 24th, 2005 07:05 PM
Poplar
same old shit - different weekend.

get'n ready to give the stones the first spin of the day.
gonna warm up with some voodo (hav't heard in a while) then pump some rough justice.

after that - love you live.

football season looming.

July 24th, 2005 07:09 PM
Poplar

upon firther review - it wil commence with rough justic.
then - assorted stones.. followed by some Dead.

it's hot as balls here today - need some good outdoor summer tunes. phish a posibility. as is ireeness.
July 25th, 2005 09:56 AM
FPM C10 The thing that REALLY kills SOL are the "awful" lyrics. Literally. Mick uses the word "awful" 4 times in 4 lines - it's gonna make people who are grasping for an adjective to describe the lyrics auomatically come up with "awful".

Did he write this shit with Rob Thomas? Because it sounds like a Matchbox 20 reject.

Seriously, if it had a GOOD set of lyrics, it would still be bad, but as it is it's "awful".

I mean, I don't HATE "Out of Tears". I sure don't like it much but I don't hate it. With decent lyrics SOL coulda been "Out of Tears". Or - what's the ballad on B2B? The one that says poverty is picturesque?

Yes, if only Mick had been given more time to come up with a decent set of lyrics. It's just not fair.

Oy.

July 25th, 2005 10:05 AM
exile I still think a lot of people are being overly Harsh

I think both tracks are great

ALSO I feel privliged that my favourite group are still putting out albums

ok now announce the Australian Tour!!!!!!!!
July 25th, 2005 10:07 AM
jb I think we except any crap they put out and say "it's great". All I know is after 8 years, you would think the first song released wouldn't be some easy listening turd that isn't even good....
July 25th, 2005 10:25 AM
Gazza
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I mean, I don't HATE "Out of Tears". I sure don't like it much but I don't hate it. With decent lyrics SOL coulda been "Out of Tears". Or - what's the ballad on B2B? The one that says poverty is picturesque?

"Already over me".

Out of Tears is a good track (and was the song on the album that got the best reviews when it came out as I recall) and much superior to that one IMO.

Its ok, but the other 3 ballads on that album (Always suffering, plus Keith's two at the end) are much better)
July 25th, 2005 10:41 AM
gimmekeef Out of Tears on the boot from New Orleans 94 Imperial Heartbreakers is outstanding IMHO....SOL is not!
July 25th, 2005 10:01 PM
T&A Never much a fan of Out of Tears. I do like Always Suffering and the two KR ballads on B2B.

Nothing sounds as dreadful as SOL - NOTHING IN THE RECORDED HISTORY OF THE BAND!
July 25th, 2005 10:54 PM
exile
quote:
T&A wrote:
Nothing sounds as dreadful as SOL - NOTHING IN THE RECORDED HISTORY OF THE BAND!

give me a break,,,, play "Dirty Work" excluding 'One HIT'
July 25th, 2005 11:14 PM
T&A Dirty Work included.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)