ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What's better Rough Justice or Oh,No Not You Again? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
July 23rd, 2005 10:34 AM
Bitch Here's my vote

1 ROUGH JUSTICE - very cool rockin' roller
2. STREETS OF LOVE - just love a love ballad
3. ONNYA - this is a good song, funny lyrics too
July 23rd, 2005 12:09 PM
T&A do people even watch videos anymore? i haven't watched vh1 or mtv in 10 years or more.

to someone who claimed I haven't given the songs a chance. possibly. but i know crap when I hear it. i heard it on first listen with Back to Zero and Winning Ugly and I called those right. SOL is as bad or worse than those.

RJ I've heard 4 times now and I get progressively less impressed (I'm trying to like it!) with each listen.

I'm hopeful that there are much better tracks on the album, but if that's the be the case, why on earth would the boys toss these two lame-o's out as opening salvos?
July 23rd, 2005 12:24 PM
exile Rough Justice

but reserving judgment till hear studio version of OH No not you again
July 23rd, 2005 05:56 PM
Flashpoint
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I haven't heard the studio cut of Oh Not You Again, but I think that neither this song or Rough Justice are as good as the Stones last couple of rockers, Flip The Swith and Too Tight. I describe them as the last rockers as I don't beleive anything rocked about Don't Stop or Stealing My Heart.

Coudn't agree more, same thing happens here...FTS and Too Tight are incredibly strong rockers but i really like RJ though...it got me
July 23rd, 2005 06:19 PM
tumbling dice Two ones are both very good , but ONNYA is better in my opinion.
July 23rd, 2005 07:01 PM
FPM C10 I like "Rough Justice" the best of the 3 we've heard. Sounds like the Faces more than the Stones, though. Not that sounding like the faces is bad!

I'd be more psyched if it had come out 2 or 3 years after B2B, rather than 8. When I first heard it on the radio I was a little let down. It's OK but I was really hoping for more than OK. It reminds me a little of "Hang Fire" - a cool tune but not even in the top 100 Stones songs. Repeated listenings are rewarding, however. It does grow on ya.

Still, the Stones rock more than any other grandpas I can think of! I hope I'm rocking that hard in my 60s!

SOL - why the hell didn't Mick put this on a solo album? It's got a hook (I-I-I) and it's not THAT bad - a decent set of lyrics might have salvaged it. But it ain't what we were holding our breath waiting for.
July 23rd, 2005 09:06 PM
gotdablouse If there's "by the numbers" song then it's "Too Tight", completely useless, at least RJ has some edge to it, alhtough that may just be because of the shitty sound of the mp3.

It's a fun song and pretty "refreshing", more so than anything since SG !
July 23rd, 2005 10:18 PM
Bloozehound day 2

after letting the initial excitement wear off and letting it soak in a bit deeper I'll say that I don't think Sympathy or HonkyTonkWimmins are in any danger of losing their place in line over this new cut, but I'm still really enjoying this Rjustice ditty, its damn refreshing

can only keep fingers crossed that Stones have a few more surprises up their sleeve with this album

July 23rd, 2005 10:23 PM
exile
agree totally in the cold light of day after first hearing rough justice I still like it......SOL is good sounds like rainbows or some other ballad they have done.

Can someone tell me who released these songs? was it an accident or someone from the studio? or was it on purpose to get siome feedback on the new stuff.
July 23rd, 2005 10:28 PM
exile Can someone tell me who released these songs? was it an accident or someone from the studio? or was it on purpose to get siome feedback on the new stuff.
July 23rd, 2005 10:48 PM
T&A these mp3's come from folks recording off of radio promos sent to select Europe/USA radio stations....
July 23rd, 2005 10:51 PM
Soldatti Day 2:
I love RJ, I can't stand SOL.
July 23rd, 2005 11:40 PM
Poison Dart I hate Streets of Love because I think it's going to kill this record that has at least 2 great songs (RJ,ONNYA) on it.

I want this album to go to #1. And I fear that people will judge the entire album by this mediocre ballad.
July 24th, 2005 02:31 AM
beer streets of love could have been saved, i think. the melody isn't bad at all. but the lyrics are fucking dreadful. how can ya say the word "Awful" four times at the beginning of a ballad? But then again, lyrics have never ever been a strong point for Mick And it hasn't really mattered.... With a few exceptions anyway.

And i still think RJ rules, and I cant wait to hear the studio version of ONNYA

-
July 24th, 2005 02:41 AM
Poplar
quote:
beer wrote:
I cant wait to hear the studio version of ONNYA-

hell yeah.

July 24th, 2005 05:31 AM
exile
quote:
beer wrote:
I don't understand how any Stones fan could hate RJ. It easily kicks the shit out of anything off of Bridges or Steel wheels.

Of course it's not on par with their best, but I think it is a big step in the right direction.

I totally agree Beer!
July 24th, 2005 09:37 AM
John Wood I also think Streets of Love is going to kill this album but maybe there is nothing to save if this is the best of the new songs I don't think I want to hear anymore. Although Rough Justice does rock.
July 24th, 2005 11:00 AM
wgwalsh Mr. Ian noted LIES meets ALL DOWN THE LINE. I dunno 'bout y'all, but those 2 tracks are real kickass IMHO.

ROUGH JUSTICE is a breath of fresh air as is OH NO, NOT YOU AGAIN.

STREETS OF LOVE would make a good B-side like THROUGH THE LONELY NIGHTS which did not appear on the official album release of IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL.

Hopefully, the fodder is left on the cutting room floor.

Remember MJ's b-day is July 26.
July 24th, 2005 11:28 AM
corgi37 Jagger's ridiculous phrasing kills SOL.
July 24th, 2005 11:35 AM
Jumping Jack RJ is like ADTL meets RTJ. Short, sweet, and kickin ass w/ some wicked slide. This is the real deal ladies & gentlemen. If RJ doesn't want to make you grab a drink and turn the knob you are too boring to be a Stones fan any more.
July 24th, 2005 11:45 AM
sirmoonie I must be too boring to be a Stones fan anymore.

Comparing Rough Justice to anything from Exile strikes me as either blasphemous or completely missing the point from the get-go. RJ is canned and generic, something the Stones can do in their sleep. They probably did. And that rooster "cockssssssss" deal - parody yourself a little more Mick and you'll make the Howard Stern show yet!

It is fast though. Rough Justice, that is. They play the guitars like real fast.
July 24th, 2005 11:52 AM
Jumping Jack The video for RJ needs to be a performance piece with them kicking the shit out of it on stage and a bunch of drunk, heavy chested young gussies in the front row totally digging it!
July 24th, 2005 12:33 PM
gimmekeef Once I burned to a cd and played RJ in my car and stereo I began to like it!...It does get you goin...And ONNYA studio version and live should really kick some ass....I'm wondering if SOL if played live might even get "booed" by the crowd?..That would be a first I think....
July 24th, 2005 12:36 PM
sirmoonie People who like Rough Justice eat tuna fish straight from the can. They say "Mom, can I have another tin of tuna?"
July 24th, 2005 12:49 PM
T&A Consider me with Sirmoonie, then - I must be too boring to be a Stones fan. RJ doesn't do it for me. Fast, loud guitars and a sex-joke vocal don't all by themselves add up to quality rock'n'roll. Comparisons to Exile - even in the most remote way - should not be allowed. RJ doesn't even sniff the worst track on Exile.
July 24th, 2005 01:34 PM
Navin What's all this about lyrics in Stones songs?

Stones songs are meant for dancing...not sources for metaphysical insights !!

Many have missed out on the great riff-rocker "Highwire" which remains a Stones classic and which was given the distinctive open-G treatment (I think)...equally strong is the promo video....the Stones were moved like never before, given such a welcome reaction to their Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour, and they recorded one of their strongest singles ever...and people went ahead and started talking about the "lyrics" and "political" nature of the song instead !!!

Anyone remember the 'Fats Domino' technique?
July 24th, 2005 01:56 PM
T&A Navin - Highwire may be open-G (is it?) - but it ain't Keith - he's not even playing on the song.

And lyrics aren't normally that important with the Stones - true - but when the music is this bad -then you've got nowhere left to turn but the lyrics (someone wrote a nice piece about this on Stonesdoug recently). And they do suck more than usual, unfortunately....
July 25th, 2005 02:41 AM
Poplar
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Jagger's ridiculous phrasing kills SOL.

agreed corgi... why have we been hearing the same shit from him for 2 decades?

July 25th, 2005 05:27 AM
Zack [quote]T&A wrote:
Navin - Highwire may be open-G (is it?) - but it ain't Keith - he's not even playing on the song.

Don't you mean Ronnie's not on Highwire, as opposed to Keith?
July 25th, 2005 08:19 AM
T&A no - Keith's not on Highwire. That's MJ doing a KR imitation (and a poor one at that, IMO). this song blows.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)