ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: rough justice mp3 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
July 22nd, 2005 11:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
i miss a keyboard in RJ

its there. I'm sure I can hear a piano low in the mix on the outro, its certainly audible from about 2:40 onwards

the fact that the single isnt out for 5 weeks yet surely will give the band some time get some feedback which is almost unaninimous on all the reviews on here, IORR and shidoobee that RJ is a sure fire single and that SOR definitely ISNT one. maybe thats why they released 2 tracks to radio stations.

We can only hope.

No one will get turned on to the Stones by listening to "streets of love", even though they might find the song palatable.

Rough justice simply reminds us why we all loved them in the first place.
July 22nd, 2005 11:24 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Big question mark for me:
Who is screaming back-ground vocals in Rouh Justice just behing Mick?
I don't mean the chorus part I mean during the other parts of the song.

Ian

I can hear Mick in there as well on background vocals
July 22nd, 2005 11:24 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I don't mind "Streets Of Love" but it's nothing special. It's an obvious paean to U2 fans. "Look, we too can do this shit!"

The synth strings, though... no way. Absolutely not.

It's a better song than "Fool To Cry," and that's about all I can say. It does, like jb said, smack of solo Jagger.

"Rough Justice" sounds a lot like a forgotten Black Crowes song, right down to that filthy, distorted hollow-body sound at the beginning. And fuck, who knew Ron Wood could still play a dirty slide guitar?
July 22nd, 2005 11:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
scratched wrote:
Rough Justice:

I can't stop listening to it!

Some points of note!:

0.25 - The 'little rooster' reference.

aside from the cool double entendre at the rooster/cocks couplet, I also got a little smile at the "little rooster" reference.

I think Brian may have done too.

back to the roots in more ways than one
July 22nd, 2005 11:30 AM
KeepRigid
quote:
Gazza wrote:
the fact that the single isnt out for 5 weeks yet surely will give the band some time get some feedback which is almost unaninimous

This will give them plenty of time to make Rough Justice the album's opening track, release She Saw Me Coming as the first single, relegate Streets of Love to a non-album B-side, and title the album simply, "KeepRigid".
July 22nd, 2005 11:31 AM
telecaster Like it

It gets the tele stamp of approval

Anytime you get two clashing guitars and Charlie at the top of his game it is a win-win

July 22nd, 2005 11:36 AM
Poplar
SOL - i laughed about that last night too. and i also heard the U2 in it.... big time during the solo part.

RJ - will be played loud and often this weekend. well done, boys. proud of ya.

July 22nd, 2005 11:40 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

Yeah, but not there I mean just behind Mick at times screamin the same lyrics as Mick. Not the rough justice choras part but the shouting part. This person is screaming the verses just behind Mick. Is it Bernard? Is it Chuck? Actually sounds like Chuck.

Ian
July 22nd, 2005 11:42 AM
stonedinaustralia i don't listen to U2 i can't see the connection

where is it??
July 22nd, 2005 11:42 AM
Moonisup
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]Gazza wrote:

Yeah, but not there I mean just behind Mick at times screamin the same lyrics as Mick. Not the rough justice choras part but the shouting part. This person is screaming the verses just behind Mick. Is it Bernard? Is it Chuck? Actually sounds like Chuck.

Ian

no no chuck was in the woods
July 22nd, 2005 11:47 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy That sounds like Mick backing himself. If this was even ten years ago I'd say it was Keith, but Keith doesn't hit those notes anymore. You can clearly tell on the last verse that it's Mick, no one slurs their words quite like that.
July 22nd, 2005 11:48 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Yeah, but not there I mean just behind Mick at times screamin the same lyrics as Mick.

thats what I was referring to. the verses, which is what you asked about.
July 22nd, 2005 11:49 AM
Poplar
in both songs - mick's lyrics are pedestrian at best. but what's new, really?

guitar baby! RJ me, ronnie!
July 22nd, 2005 11:50 AM
gotdablouse Actually SOL is not as bad as I thought it would be reading the other thread about it, it's got something, not much I agree, but it's got something and at least we are spared Mick's atrocious "Brand New Set" wavering vocals, it sounds more like "So far Gone" that preceded it, could use a little hammond though.

RJ is cooler though, some kind of bastard cousin of "Where the Boys Go", "Criss Cross Man" and "Bitch", with the drumming of "Neigbours" thrown in for good measure.

Still, in both cases the lyrics are beneath Mick, can't he find anything of interest to talk about other than his dick ? Someone neuter the guy so he can move on !
[Edited by gotdablouse]
July 22nd, 2005 11:53 AM
corgi37 Now dat is wot i am talking 'bout. RJ is very "Faces". It's got a bloody good punch to it. I can hear non-fans going "sounds like every other Stones song".

But i like it, i like it, yes i do.

Streets of love - eh.

Could be a good "cigarette lighter" song. Not liking Jaggers accent too much. Chorus is ok.

Still, all up, signs are good.

Yes, i will buy the cd.

Or, score it for my birthday.

July 22nd, 2005 12:38 PM
Mr Jimmy To each his own but Rough Justice is the kind of Stones tune I was hoping for... it rocks & ROLLS, it's a little messy and a whole lotta fun just like sex itself. I don't care how "deep" the lyrics are but they're "deep" enough for me with the line "So put your lips to my hips baby and tell me what'sa on your mind" Gotta love it. Not that they'd care, but if I happen to get within earshot of Mick or Keith tonight I'll definitely let thme know how I feel.
July 22nd, 2005 12:46 PM
Honky Tonk Man I’ve just downloaded Rough Justice and I have to say, I quite like it. It has a great, filthy guitar intro, courtesy of Keith and Ronnie’s slide guitar is great. I really like Mick’s vocals on this song too. If he wrote those lyrics, then the man deserves extras points!

However, part of me is slightly disappointed. It just doesn’t stand out enough. It has a sound very similar to other Stones rockers and I guess I was expecting something a little “different” Bridges To Babylon gave us a few great examples of how the Stones can still be truly creative and surprise us. I DO LIKE Rough Justice; I just hope there are a few numbers to equal the likes of Saint Of Me and Out Of Control.
July 22nd, 2005 01:00 PM
Soldatti RJ rocks my socks!!
July 22nd, 2005 01:24 PM
kath well, i just listened. i think RJ is ok, the lyrics are a little lame, but i like the band rockin' like that. as for SOL, it's only a little worse than "blinded by rainbows" was when i first heard that, and BBR really grew on me after a few listens....

and i've never been a big fan of stones ballads. i hate "angie" with every fiber of my being....

so, we'll see.
July 22nd, 2005 01:37 PM
FPM C10
quote:
kath wrote:

i hate "angie" with every fiber of my being....

Is that a "JB-ism"?
July 22nd, 2005 01:42 PM
kath i dunno...but i DO know that i have always and will always hate "angie"...it's like fingernails on a chalkboard....
July 22nd, 2005 02:02 PM
FPM C10
quote:
kath wrote:
i dunno...but i DO know that i have always and will always hate "angie"...it's like fingernails on a chalkboard....

Yes, my girlfriend has the same reaction to it. For some reason I like it. I will never forget tuning in to Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and seeing Mick dressed as Little Bo Peep singing it as rose petals fluttered behind him...hard to maintain one's masculinity AND Stones fanatacism but somehow I did (no matter what the warmongers say to the contrary!)

Keith's hair was magnificently dissheveled in that clip, I ALWAYS wanted my hair to look like that afterwards but could never manage it.
July 22nd, 2005 02:20 PM
kath yeah, see...that "little bo peep" image has always stuck in my head......

July 22nd, 2005 03:09 PM
Stray Cat UK RJ - ROCKS!!!!!!!! Stu will approve.

I'm getting pissed and listening to it till I pass out !

I love the (lack of) production.

scuk
July 22nd, 2005 04:15 PM
Nellcote Play it again!
Call yer Classic Rock station, get them to play it
Do It Now!
Get er done!
July 22nd, 2005 04:28 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Gazza wrote:
its like this, folks

when you're sitting in work and "Rough Justice" comes on the radio as "the new Stones single", you'll have a smug smile of satisfaction knowing that the greatest rock n roll band of all time have come back with a cracker of a single and you'll feel proud that everyone knows youre a Stones fan.

If its "Streets of Love", you'll be going to the bathroom more than usual to hide.

exactly

I'd be proud to stand be this one, it rocks, pure and simple

been a long time since we've heard anything with this kinda energy from them

hopefully theres a few more where this came from

July 22nd, 2005 04:32 PM
luxury1 oh hell. All is forgiven Mick. Forget all that crap I said about trite lyrics.

Put your lips to my hips and tell me what's on yer mind.
Damn.
THe visual is killin me.

July 22nd, 2005 04:33 PM
beer Rough Justice is better than anything on Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges imo.
That riff in the chorus was in my head all day.

-
July 22nd, 2005 04:55 PM
Mr Jimmy Rough Justice is getting tons of airplay in the Toronto area. After listening to the mp3 this morning, I've now heard it 5 times on FM radio, nice & loud, through a good stereo... I'm liking this one!!!
July 22nd, 2005 05:06 PM
luxury1 kath and FPM--I am with you two on ANgie--even being one of those fanatical Mickchicks and all. I couldnt stomach the video or song. Much to affected. I pretended Mick never dressed like that--put that shit right outta mah mind...

I prefer he don a big ole hat and sing some country blues, strummin his guitar. Even Keith admits he has a good touch on acoustic.

Oh christ. I cant wait for them to hit the stage. I dont care what the hell they play.
Although As Tears GO By (as is being reported in TOronto) would be interesting, no??
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)