ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Here It Is Return to archive
07-24-03 04:42 PM
Mother baby Tennessee Studio to become U.S. landmark
Associated Press

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Sun Studio, where recording pioneer Sam Phillips discovered Elvis Presley and other rock 'n' roll legends, will receive historic landmark designation from Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton.

The signing ceremony, scheduled to take place Wednesday at the U.S. Capitol, will make Sun the first recording studio in America to become a historic landmark.

The landmark designation is "more for Phillips than some of the stars who recorded there," Park Service historian Patty Henry told The Commercial Appeal. "Even if Elvis had never recorded there, (Phillips) was very influential in pioneering the rock and roll sound."

The designation will make Sun eligible for some federal grants and tax incentives.

Located at 706 Union, Sun Studio is where some of the most important rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, blues and R&B artists of the 1950s recorded. It was where Presley recorded "That's All Right" and Carl Perkins recorded "Blue Suede Shoes." B.B. King, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis also sang there.

ON THE NET

Sun Studio: http://www.sunstudio.com/
07-24-03 04:48 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
Gale Norton.

The signing ceremony, scheduled to take place Wednesday at the U.S. Capitol, will make Sun the first recording studio in America to become a historic landmark.

May there be many more! Is that Kool or what! Put that in your pipe and smoke it....lol.
07-24-03 09:41 PM
parmeda This is good news Mb...and it's about time, don't ya think?
07-24-03 10:09 PM
telecaster
quote:
parmeda wrote:
This is good news Mb...and it's about time, don't ya think?

Pam didn't you go the Chess Studios recently?

07-25-03 03:28 AM
parmeda No Tele...but I was going to.
Our beloved board member Martha was planning a trip to our beautiful city this past June and she and I, along with our families, were going to relish-in-the-shadows on 2120 S. Michigan Avenue, lol. Her plans fell through
We've put in on the back burner for now, and when she makes it up here, I'll make sure she sees it. I've been there twice and don't mind going there ten more times if I have to.
Have you been there yet?
Shall we have a 'field-trip'?

I am so glad that the city has designated it as an official landmark...that place will stay standing forever.