ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Arrogance of Michael Cohl Return to archive
07-22-03 09:20 PM
GimmeExile Read some of his comments...I guess he thinks he is the leader of the band!

NEWS - Rolling Stones Promoter Threatens Toronto Pullout Due To Media Reports
07/22/2003

(7/22/03, 5 p.m. ET) -- The Rolling Stones' Toronto-based promoter is subtly threatening to pull the group out of its July 30 concert in the Canadian city because of complaints about the show.

Michael Cohl, who's been producing the Stones' world tours since 1989, issued the warning to the Toronto Sun, saying that media complaints about transportation and restrictions on what fans can bring onto the concert grounds have angered him--and could well cause the Stones to reconsider their appearance.

Speaking Sunday (July 20) from a Stones tour stop in Stockholm, Sweden, Cohl told the Sun, "I'm reading too much of this bullsh-t in the Toronto press about the concert. What a bunch of a--holes, pardon my French. It's outrageous. I just hope Mick doesn't read it--even though it's my job to show it to him... [He might say] 'I think I might not come after all. It's not what I signed on for.'... The most important thing I do for the Rolling Stones is make that decision above all others. They look to me to say: 'We can go here to play,' and, 'We can't go here to play.'"

Cohl further noted that the media outlets that were complaining about the concert--particularly the Toronto Star--would probably be devastated if the Stones were to call the gig off. "Everybody's getting ready to go, 'Oh my God, what a bad idea this was,'" Cohl added. "What do you think would happen tomorrow if I canceled? If I called in and said the Stones cancel, I mean, they'd have a fit, wouldn't they?"

Still, Cohl expressed confidence that things will be in good shape by July 30. "I can't imagine that between ClearChannel Entertainment and House Of Blues and Molson's and... the Toronto Police and the Toronto Emergency Services and all of the same people who looked after the Pope at Downsview last year, that these people aren't going to get it together," Cohl said. "And if I didn't think they were able to get it together, I wouldn't have given them the band."

Concert organizers recently backed off rules that said fans couldn't bring items such as blankets and umbrellas into Downsview Park, where the concert will take place. Shuttle systems and other transportation issues are also being addressed.

The concert is being held to bolster Toronto's image after the spring's outbreak of SARS, which dented the city's tourist industry by more than a third. It's also a fundraiser for the area's tourism and health-care workers.

About a half-million people are expected to attend the concert, which will also feature AC/DC, Rush, the Guess Who, and Justin Timberlake, among others.

07-22-03 10:01 PM
sandrew Cohl was clearly blowing smoke -- he wasn't seriously suggesting the Stones would pull out of the show. This article is a clear case of a journalist trying to make a story out of nothing.

Read his lead graf, and compare it to Cohl's actual quotes: Not once does he say the band is actually thinking of backing out of the concert.

07-23-03 08:40 AM
steel driving hammer Yeah I understand, but his #1 priority should concern the bands safety.

Safety first...............

Riffs second...............
07-23-03 08:45 AM
stonedinaustralia come on steelie, since when has the spirit of rock and roll ever put safety first??

as noted in the song from whence you've taken your handle -"can't stop the train...had to let it roll on...let it rock"
07-23-03 10:24 AM
steel driving hammer I understand but in these days you have to tour smart ESPECIALLY to perverve their legacy as long as one can...

"Trying to get the workers out the way of the train..."
07-23-03 11:56 AM
jb I despise Cohl...an arrogant fuck , who has cost us the label as the "Greatest rock-n-roll band" in the world. We have lost in every category this current tour b/c of this fuckers arrognace...we are considered a has been band while garbage like Macca/Elton/Billy and even Dylan are praised as "timeless".....fuck you Michael Cohl............you bastard!!!!!!
07-23-03 01:04 PM
Joey Isn't Michael Cohl Jewish ?

07-23-03 01:06 PM
parmeda
quote:
jb wrote:
fuck you Michael Cohl............you bastard!!!!!!

Josh...your ulcer, babe. Careful
07-23-03 02:37 PM
jb Thanks Pam..LOl..........and yes Joey, he is a Canadian Jew who, apparently, is allowing an allegegly ex-neo-nazi band open for the Stones in Dutchland!!!!!!!!!
07-23-03 02:46 PM
Joey " he is a Canadian Jew who, apparently, is allowing an allegegly ex-neo-nazi band open for the Stones in Dutchland!!!!!!!!! "

He still was smart enough to attach himself to the Stones and outwit Bill Graham ( Jew ) .

{{{ Joey Kissinger }}}
07-24-03 01:18 PM
jb I wonder if both were Bar Mitzvahed and or circumcised? Do you think Petey was skinned?
07-24-03 02:44 PM
Mother baby
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
come on steelie, since when has the spirit of rock and roll ever put safety first??

Well....since the Do Gooder crowd took over...can't smoke, can't drink, can't starve, can't eat junk food, can't have sex without condoms, can't do anything much without a license....so it's all make believe now...pretend.

07-24-03 02:48 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

Well....since the Do Gooder crowd took over...can't smoke, can't drink, can't starve, can't eat junk food, can't have sex without condoms, can't do anything much without a license....so it's all make believe now...pretend.

Okay so I'm in a bad mood as Maine, my state, has just outlawed smoking in bars. I sleep better knowing Big Brother is looking after me.LOL.
07-24-03 05:36 PM
Joey " I wonder if both were Bar Mitzvahed and or circumcised? Do you think Petey was skinned? "

Never say " skinned " to the Petey !

Oh , by the way Josh , to answer your question :

Bat = Girl

Bar = Boy

As in " Bar Mitzvahed " for the Petey and " Bat Mitzvahed " for his daughters . Hope this helps .

JACKY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-24-03 05:51 PM
throbby Mother baby wrote:
Okay so I'm in a bad mood as Maine, my state, has just outlawed smoking in bars. I sleep better knowing Big Brother is looking after me.LOL.

I believe NY has just done the same. Oh well, I only smoked during the summer I turned fourteen.
07-25-03 08:17 AM
TomL I would to love and see him pull them, talk about a nightmare, they'd tear that fucking town apart.