ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rock N Roll Circus vs. Gimme Shelter Return to archive
07-22-03 03:41 PM
Mother baby Why was a piece of ametuerish home movie type material allowed to be released while the "Cirus" was suppressed?
??????????????????
Anyway, ......
07-22-03 03:43 PM
Soul Survivor Circus wasnt released because the Stones felt they did a shitty job on it.....it had nothing to do with picture quality
07-22-03 04:05 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
Circus wasnt released because the Stones felt they did a shitty job on it.....it had nothing to do with picture quality

IMO. that's great excuse making. Shelter was a much shittier job and no one cared.
07-22-03 04:14 PM
jb I agree...the Mayseles are very overrated IMO...the whole movie is really slow and boring...
07-22-03 04:21 PM
purrcafe Specifically, the Stones were not happy with their performance in the Circus. It probably didn't help that many observers thought that the Who were much better that day than the Stones.

However, I though Gimmie Shelter was a great film by virtue of being in the right (wrong) place at the right (wrong) time.
07-22-03 04:22 PM
purrcafe Look at the bright side. At least Cocksucker Blues remains unreleased. What a snooze.
07-22-03 05:34 PM
stonedinaustralia mother baby i'd say you've got your criteria on what makes a good film all ass backwards

you seem to be judging things on the basis of their form as opposed to their substance

granted "gimme shelter" from a form point of view is pretty "lo fi" (although in my opinion given the gritty character of the substance it's quite appropriate)but the tension and the drama of the substance easily compensates for that

imo, the quality of a film (or any piece of art or music)has a lot more to do with what it's trying to show/tell me as opposed to how good its production values are and, as i said, the brutal realism of the content of GS is, in a way, complimented by the rather "primitive" nature of its form
07-22-03 07:18 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
Why was a piece of ametuerish home movie type material allowed to be released while the "Cirus" was suppressed?
??????????????????
Anyway, ......

You do not deserve Robert Johnson as your avatar.
07-22-03 08:00 PM
beer The real question is, Which is more disturbing: The kid getting a knife in his back by a Hells Angel in Gimme Shelter, OR, Yoko Ono's "Singing" in the Circus?

My vote goes to Yoko.
07-23-03 01:26 AM
stonedinaustralia Unfortunately mother baby i must concurr whole heartedly with dande*'s comment re your avatar - no offence meant but you really don't seem to "get it"

as to beer's remark all i can say is LOL

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
07-23-03 08:05 AM
padre Hey Stoned, isn't that avatar of yours the long lost third existing photo of Robert Johnson?
07-23-03 08:32 AM
stonedinaustralia fuuny you should say that padre - to my caucasian eyes they've always seemed similiar - i'm not sure if it's robert but they do seem as if they're related - and i don't mean to say that "they" all look the same , if you know what i mean
07-23-03 03:43 PM
purrcafe Definitely not Robert Johnson. There are only two or three photos in existence of him, and this is not one of them!
07-23-03 04:37 PM
Nasty Habits If you think Gimme Shelter is boring you bettter watch it again. There's so much information and rock and roll cominatcha in that movie that I can barely think straight for an hour or two after seeing it. 40, 50 times, probably, I've watched that thing and I still learn something new every time.

There's a god damn dog up there on that stage!

07-23-03 05:58 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
Definitely not Robert Johnson. There are only two or three photos in existence of him, and this is not one of them!

purrc - my comment was meant in jest - as we should all know by now my avatar is of one mr.paco gerte - or so voodoo tells me and he (voodoo) still hasn't told me how he knows this... 'tho i just gots to know...
07-23-03 07:37 PM
purrcafe That's cool, a little levity always helps!
07-23-03 07:47 PM
stonedinaustralia no worries pc
07-23-03 09:54 PM
beer
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
If you think Gimme Shelter is boring you bettter watch it again. There's so much information and rock and roll cominatcha in that movie that I can barely think straight for an hour or two after seeing it. 40, 50 times, probably, I've watched that thing and I still learn something new every time.

There's a god damn dog up there on that stage!

Absolutely. Gimme Shelter is a fuckin masterpiece. what is captured on that film is fucking priceless.

Oh gee I wish 1969 was filmed in 2003. duh...
07-23-03 10:25 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
beer wrote:
The real question is, Which is more disturbing: The kid getting a knife in his back by a Hells Angel in Gimme Shelter, OR, Yoko Ono's "Singing" in the Circus?

My vote goes to Yoko.

Nah........Gimme Shelter wins in by landslide.
But Yoko truly was 'The Bride Of Beatlestein'.
07-24-03 03:16 AM
padre I finally got a regionfree DVD player (Gimme Shelter is still not released in Region 2!) and I'm ready to order the restored film.
Any idea why is it so damn expensive? 35 bucks for a single disc in Amazon when you'll get the Zep's holy grail for 25 dollars.
07-24-03 08:44 AM
Mathijs The man in the picture IS Robert Johnson:

http://www.deltahaze.com/johnson/Legacy.html#photos

Mathijs
07-24-03 02:04 PM
Mother baby
quote:
beer wrote:

Absolutely. Gimme Shelter is a fuckin masterpiece. what is captured on that film is fucking priceless.

Oh gee I wish 1969 was filmed in 2003. duh...

Oh well maybe I've seen it too many times.
07-24-03 02:15 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Dandelion* wrote:

You do not deserve Robert Johnson as your avatar.

Yeah I know. In fact I was actually thinking of "retiring" it for that very reason. But..... I figure I'm at the crossroads all the time so....like do I get another avatar? always at those crossroads..damn....decisions, desicions decisions....up to my own devices I'll take the wrong turn every time... LOL...St. Robert help me.
07-24-03 02:25 PM
jb What have you learned?
07-24-03 02:35 PM
Mother baby
quote:
jb wrote:
What have you learned?

???