ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones could back out of SARS concert Return to archive
07-19-03 11:48 AM
Lazy Bones Saturday, July 19, 2003

Stones could back out of SARS concert
By MICHELE MANDEL -- Toronto Sun

With all the griping going on, Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones could reconsider appearing at the Toronto SARS-relief concert, warns promoter and impresario Michael Cohl.

"What would you do if you were him?" Cohl asked, referring to Jagger. "(He might say) 'I think I might not come after all. It's not what I signed on for.'"

This week's headlines have complained about everything from fans not being allowed to bring in umbrellas to concert-goers having to walk miles to get home. The good-news story about the Stones trying to raise Toronto's spirits and profile after being ravaged by SARS this spring has quickly turned into a long whine concerning just about everything to do with the hastily conceived concert.

"I'm reading too much of this bulls--t in the Toronto press about the concert," an angry Cohl said yesterday from Stockholm, where the Stones were performing on their European tour.

"What a bunch of a--holes, pardon my French," Cohl continued, referring to the endless media writers criticizing the July 30 Downsview Park concert. "It's outrageous.

"I just hope Mick doesn't read it -- even though it's my job to show it to him."

The Toronto-based promoter warned that all the naysayers would quickly change their tune if the Stones considered pulling out.

"Now with all of the complaints in the Toronto Star, with them pumping up the whole brouhaha, and now everybody's getting ready to go, 'Oh my God, what a bad idea this was,' what do you think would happen tomorrow if I cancelled? If I called in and said the Stones cancel, I mean they'd have a fit, wouldn't they?"

Cohl believes all the "doubting Thomases" should just chill. It's the nature of a "last-minute" concert that there are still many issues that need to be ironed out.

"I can't imagine that between Clear Channel Entertainment and House of Blues and Molson's and Dennis Mills and Jerry Grafstein and the Toronto Police and the Toronto Emergency Services and all of the same people who looked after the Pope at Downsview last year, that these people aren't going to get it together," he said.

"And if I didn't think they were able to get it together, I wouldn't have given them the band. Because at the end of the day, the most important thing I do for the Rolling Stones is make that decision above all others. They look to me to say: 'We can go here to play' and 'We can't go here to play.'"

And they are still coming to Toronto to play -- at least for now.
07-19-03 12:11 PM
LadyJane WTF?

I think/hope Cohl is bluffing; trying to scare the shit out of the TO media.

What concerns me more is that Cohl's foul mood is a reflection of deeper problems. Something tells me our "boys" are getting road weary and very sick of each other.

LadyJ.
07-19-03 12:16 PM
Sir Stonesalot I think Michael Cohl is looking for a scapegoat.

The facts are plain. This festival was planned on the wing, and is taking place under less than ideal circumstances. Cohl is gambling on OTHER people getting their shit together. I don't think a miracle is needed or anything like that. Toronto will be as prepared as possible. But will it be enough? I guess we'll know on the 30th.

I do think this thing has an even chance of coming off clean. But I also think this thing has an even chance of not coming off the way it was envisioned.

But for Michael Cohl to think that everyone has to pretend that it's all roses and wine is a little disconcerting. People are voicing very legitimate concerns. Perhaps instead of calling those people assholes, he should listen to their concerns, and do something constructive to mitigate said concerns?

My opinion on the comment he made is this....Michael Cohl is obviously feeling some pressure. Cohl is usually a pretty unflappable fellow. For him to snap in the media like that is pretty rare. I don't think he'd be nearly as upset if there wasn't the ring of truth behind the concerns and complaints that people are voicing. I think he's pissed because he may have put the band in a bad spot, albiet with the very best of intentions. May have. Now he's feeling the stress of that decision.

But even with all the problems that comes with a festival like this, it would be an even bigger mistake for the Stones to pull out. The cards have been dealt, and everyone is all in the pot. You have to play it out, and hope that lady luck is smiling on the 30th.
07-19-03 01:16 PM
nankerphelge I agree -- although I don't think of it as a scapegoat (yet) -- Cohl is goosing the TO organizers a bit to get their shit together. And they have eased some restrictions already -- so I think they are certainly aware of many of the concerns and are responding accordingly. Cohl is right -- if they haven't got their shit together, it is his duty to hold back the Stones. But he won't -- TO will get it together and Cohl won't have to hire a bunch of lawyers to defend the Stones for backing out. Especially when the TO organizers look through that contract again, I'm pretty sure they'll find the "TO is the scapegoat if we say they are" section!! And if it isn't in there, I suggest Mr. Cohl come and see me for some better legal advice.

I was re-reading Journey Through America and by the end of that tour, the band was just on autopilot. I think from the age of the tour, the shortened set list, the reports of scattered power outages in the vicinity of one Ronald Wood, and the thought of crossing the Atlantic for a half-million fans makes for some serious pressure on ol' Mikey!

07-19-03 01:36 PM
steel driving hammer Too many bumps in the road.
07-19-03 04:46 PM
littleredrooster Let's hope NOT for all of our Canadian friends!

This tour is going full circle, North America's FIRST and LAST shows in Toronto!

I'll never understand why they missed Vancouver on the initial West coast leg !!!
07-19-03 08:52 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:
I'll never understand why they missed Vancouver on the initial West coast leg !!!

Agreed! Not to mention Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg.
07-20-03 01:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot I think it has to do with the type of tour it was. Since several cities got 3 shows, that eliminated 2 stops. So since five places got 3 shows(Philly, NYC, Chicago, LA, and San Francisco including Oakland) that eliminated 10 other stops. Then you have the places that got 2 shows, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Toronto, and Las Vegas which eliminates 3 more stops. So that is 13 cities that didn't get shows because of the format of this particular tour.

I feel bad for the folks who got shut out, but not too bad since I got to see The Stones @ Roseland because of this format.

What did confuse me was the Stones repeating cities on the second leg...especially with multiple shows, ie. Chicago & NYC.
07-20-03 04:38 PM
Joey " What did confuse me was the Stones repeating cities on the second leg...especially with multiple shows, ie. Chicago & NYC "

Tell me about it -- I am still quite visibly shaken that they passed up Kansas City , St. Louis , Memphis , Minneapolis , Dallas , Milwaukee , Omaha , Portland , etc ....................and for WHAT ?!?!?!?!?! So the United Center could get two more shows in that turgid , muffled , totally turbid sonic mess of an arena .

" Bite me on the Ass so I bleed for these people Ronnie "

Jacky Boy Blue !
07-22-03 03:06 AM
Talya Peachfeather I never understood why the Stones decided to travel all that way in the middle of their European tour in the first place - it's a long flight, and they've got to be back in Europe quickly after that.

On top of that, it seems as if far too many people are going 'cos it should never take hours to clear a venue. Are they adhering to all the Health & Safety regulations, or are those regulations sadly out of date? I have lots of questions, which make me one of the doubters, and if I lived near enough to Toronto to go, I most certainly wouldn't be anywhere near there for the concert. It's not about doubt, it's just common sense.
07-22-03 08:08 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Talya Peachfeather wrote:
It's not about doubt, it's just common sense.

No, it's personal preference. Especially when this will be the largest Stones' show in history and could, very well be, their last North American show ever. Thus, some positive excitement is natural. Yes, excercising common sense when there is (or at least, should be) mandatory. Saying that writing-off the show is common sense, is absurd! Especially when fans that are going have to, and are, having to prepare themselves physically, mentally and even financially. I think mocking them - or at least saying, they don't have common sense - is plain rude.

Sure, there will be problems - mostly minor. The majority, however, (as at most shows - large or small) are decent people that realize the situation that the day presents and share a common respect for others...imo!

07-22-03 09:51 AM
jb Cohl is a piece of shit, who has done a terrible job promoting this tour...perhaps the worst attended tour per venue since 72.........
07-22-03 10:18 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
Cohl is a piece of shit, who has done a terrible job promoting this tour...perhaps the worst attended tour per venue since 72.........

I have to disagree, jb. The tour has been promoted well. The 3-venue style has been a huge success, and brought attention to the world even before tickets started going on sale. Perhaps, with regards to attendance, which is and has been a concern and judgmental factor of the tour for you, is a result of prices, and not promotion. Face it, most people can only afford tickets to one show. Therefore, markets with multiple venues see the larger venues suffer in sales (which, imo, really haven't). Most people that buy arena tickets, for example, won't see the stadium show.

Not mention, bringing the tour to countries like the Czech Rep., Denmark, Finland, India, Ireland, Singapore and both Japan and Australia. Although they were cancelled (and may be rescheduled), China and Thailand, also.

Should you forget, the publicity behind a show with 500,000 - 600,000 people in Toronto.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
07-22-03 10:27 AM
jb Honestly, the down-sizing of the tour(less stadiums) was done because they(Cohl) didn't want them playing to 1/2-3/4 filled stadiums....the fact that arena shows allegedly "sold-out" with only 15,000 people is quite a play with the #'s. Even some of the large stadium shows had only around 45,000 in attendance....also, the dismal sales of 40 Licks(only 2.4 million in the USA) is atonishing.
On the otherhand, I am pleasently surprised by what appears to be a tremndous turn-out in Canada for the show-I really thought if they got 300,000 it would be big..but 500,000 is really a nice figure.
[Edited by jb]
07-22-03 11:14 AM
littleredrooster JB,
What Stadium shows did you attend during this tour?
I attended Stadium shows in Chicago, Anaheim, San Francisco
(both shows)
THEY were PACKED!

Arena shows in Chicago,Oakland,Phoenix,MGM (both shows), Staples
THEY were PACKED!

And Clubs in Chicago, LA, and Las Vegas OF COURSE,
PACKED!

This tour has been a fabulous success for the Stones!

I can't understand your comments of no sell outs.

What shows did you attend? Arenas? NYC, and FL?
We all know NYC was PACKED! It always is that way whenever the Stones play!
When I was in FL for the No Security tour, Tampa and Sunrise were PACKED!!!

Are attendance reports false? Maybe Cohl is skimming!

Rooster
07-22-03 11:42 AM
jb Well, Miami was less than 13,000....Ft. lauderdale was "sold-out" with 15,000 (even though No Security was sold out with 21,000 at same venue) Atlanta stadium show I attended had around 47,000(a great show by the way) and the 2 New York shows I attended had 18,000 at MSG. The venues you reference are major city venues where sales have always been strong...However, look at some of the other venues and attendance was quite average for arena shows...and Philly, a huge Stones market in the past, had only 45,000 at the Stadium show.....
07-22-03 12:05 PM
Sir Stonesalot jb, I was at the Vet in Philly, and the only empty seats I saw were behind the stage! Every seat in front of the stage had an warm body in it. And it was one of the best stadium atmospheres that I've ever been in for a Stones show. I could feel the excitement boiling out of the crowd when I was making my way to my seat. I couldn't even hear the beginning of the show because of all the screaming when the band came on. And I couldn't even tell what songs they were playing on the B stage because the crowd was so loud(and the mix was so muddy).

07-22-03 12:07 PM
jb Really? I heard the uppers were quite empty.....also, someone pissed on StoneDoug's sister-in-law, which is typical behavior for the Philly fans.
[Edited by jb]
07-22-03 12:14 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
which is typical behavior for the Philly fans.
[Edited by jb]

07-22-03 12:14 PM
steel driving hammer This would be the largest audience the Stones have ever played to.

Will this also be the largest gathering Canada has ever hosted?

The Hostess W/ the Mostess...LOL.
07-22-03 12:30 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Will this also be the largest gathering Canada has ever hosted?

No. Last year's World Youth Day, also at Downsview Park, had an estimated 800,000 people.

Also, in 1992 and 1993, when the Toronto Blue Jays were back-to-back world series champions, it was believed that 1-2 million people (each year) jammed Yonge St. in downtown T.O.

As mentioned before Toronto's "pride" and Carabana celebrations / parades both have well over a million people. Carabana much more as it's a multi-day festival.

As far as concerts, yes, this will be THE biggest - probably ever.

Far up north, we also have the annual seal belly sliding championships that attracts people from the NW Territories, Nunavut, Yukon, northern Ontario and Quebec - even Alaska. Rumour has it that 3 years ago, Santa Claus even showed up for a beaver and maple syrup sandwich and a Molson Canadian. Of course , up there, they don't attach the aluminum-based beer labels as they are required to be microwaved to their liquid state. This annual event never occurs on a Saturday as that, of course, would interfere with Hockey Night In Canada!

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
07-22-03 12:35 PM
steel driving hammer Thanks for the History lesson, was never good in History class 101.

But was good in good in the study on Mobe Dick.

Now on CNN, MSMBC, FOX, they are discussing Kobe Dick.

But 800,000, Holy Cow thats big!!

07-22-03 12:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Really? I heard the uppers were quite empty.....also, someone pissed on StoneDoug's sister-in-law, which is typical behavior for the Philly fans. <

Then you were sadly misinformed. There wasn't much blue showing that I could see(The seats in the Vet's upper deck are blue.).

The thing about Doug's sis-in-law...the guy was pissing into an empty beer cup, right behind her. I don't think the guy was actually pissing on her.

I was seated with Doug at this show...what a cool dude.

I had more problems with chicks getting pissed on at a Dead show. Go figure.
07-22-03 01:11 PM
mac_daddy "I had more problems with chicks getting pissed on at a Dead show. Go figure."

are you saying that w00kies piss anywhere?