ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Will Toronto end up like Altamont ? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
07-21-03 12:26 PM
jb I took my 12 year old cousin as a favor to her dad....The Pointer Sisters opened(not bad) and then poof!!!-George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley a/k/a Wham...Pick me up before you go , go....and the crowd pushed us agaist the stage and I thought I might actually get crushed.....
07-21-03 12:31 PM
Joey " Could jb be the one who introduced Joey to the Gloryhole?

I am stunned! "

Hey , wait , don't compare me to ol' Iron Colon over there on Long Island . I hear the roster on the Rock's Off Minor league ( AA ) board has a few more openings .

Developing ................................

Shiver ....................................

" Tie me up and call me Suzi Ronnie "

Bob Jacky !

|
|
|
|
V
07-21-03 12:34 PM
jb Fuunny, Joey...this girl kept calling me "Jack" last night!!!
07-21-03 12:34 PM
nankerphelge What the fuck were you doing????
07-21-03 12:37 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I hear the roster on the Rock's Off Minor league ( AA ) board has a few more openings .<

I guess you'd know all about the minor leagues Joey. When are you gonna step up to the plate and post like a superstar...like Me and Maxy? You don't have the talent to spend years in the minors "developing". You better get to it, or get dumped.
07-21-03 12:50 PM
WastedAway Sir Stonesalot ..... thanks for the great input. I'm quite sure you could get tickets for the event...there should be a lot available after all this talk. I hear exactly where you're coming from. Of course, we are all concerned about safety at the event. And, yes, I agree that it will be quite the chore dealing with these numbers. But, Toronto will be prepared even though there hasn't been much time to get it all together. They are working 24/7 on this, and are trying to leave no "Stones" unturned.
Firstly, I am a self-employed sandblasted sign artist, and I'm not connected to the event in any way, other than owning a couple of tickets for the show. I have sent a few e-mails to the show organizers to voice any concerns that I have had over safety, and, they have assured me, that everything is going to be great. In fact, they are very excited about the event, and, are really looking forward to it, so, they must have some huge things planned. Also, they are not finished adding names to the bill yet. There are more bands to be added.
I agree that it will be hard to control a huge crowd such as this, but, they have planned on putting several helicopters in the sky above the grounds with radio-controlled units to the ground. Don't know how effective this will be, but, at least they will be there. Also, I'm sure the mounted units will have a visual presence at the event. I don't think many want to mess with a horse, pissed or not. Every single EMS person in Toronto is scheduled to work the concert, on overtime. They have hundreds of ATV-like mobile stretchers scattered throughout the event, and, laneways in which to use them. There will be a 1400 bed hospital on-site. The Toronto Transit Commission has every employee working the event, in fact, the Government of Ontario had to change a law for the event to allow them to work the extra overtime. Does this sound like a city that is unorganized? Yes, SS, there are yahoos at every concert. We have all been there, and witnessed it. And they will be at this one too. When I said "policing ourselves", I didn't mean getting into it with any fans. That would be ridiculous. But the age group at this event has basically "mellowed out" and I'm sure would not hesitate to tell some yahoo to "sit the fuck down and chill out" Whether this would work or not, well, I guess it depends on the yahoo. Again, that's where a cell phone comes in handy. I'm sure that the organizers will have some "emergency number" you can call on the Bell Mobility network if there is a sudden problem in the crowd. And, believe me, it will be looked after FAST! As I said, they will be organized.
As far as line-ups for a burger, apparently the place will be flooded with vendors. Which vendor would not LOVE to have a spot here? They have already closed off the number of vendors, as they have enough. And when they say they have enough, in T.O. that usually means they have too many. They even have the Premiers of other Provinces coming to serve the Canadian beef. There is even a VIP guest area for bands that are coming just to watch the event, not play. They are coming from all over the world.
I can appreciate where you are coming from, being an EMS guy yourself, but, you gotta have confidence in the city of Toronto to do this up right. They are spending MILLIONS on this event. They won't let it go for a shit, believe me.
It's too bad you don't get seats and come up SS .....it's going to be the concert of the Millenium. It just won't be the same on DVD with a 12 pack ....... especially Guiness.....yuck. Come on up and try a REAL beer!
07-21-03 12:51 PM
Joey " You don't have the talent to spend years in the minors "developing". You better get to it, or get dumped. "

Stoney ..................................

You make Joey say , Huh ?????????

Why ?!?!?!?! Why such vapid nonsense ?!?!?!?! It's dispiriting , disheartening , disconcerting and basically disgusting .

I am now so upset I must get up from me desk and leave for lunch . If anyone needs me I will be at the " Omne' Grille "

JACKY !
07-21-03 02:04 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

In my little county of 37,000 people, we average 7 heart attacks per day. With 500,000 people you can expect 20 to 50 heart attacks during the festival.

With all due respect SS, you can't possibly compare rock festival attendees in a cosmopolitan area like Toronto (and those able and willing to travel) to a poor rural and working class county's statistics. For one thing - I'd bet the average age in the county you work is older than the national average. Young people tend to leave for lack of work. Older people are more likely to have heart attacks, right? Plus - these ain't no veggie burger and tofu eating health nuts. It's a McDonalds and Twinkies kinda crowd. I'd say the per capita heart attack rate there is well above the national average.

Sure - things can go wrong. When we went to see Dylan in State College last year - something could have gone wrong in that tiny arena. It took forever to leave the floor and it was so tight that if anyone started to panic or shouted out "fire" a lot of people would have been crushed. I don't think the sky will be falling.

Terrorism would be more of a worry than heart attacks.
07-21-03 02:23 PM
Lazy Bones Go Eagles!
07-21-03 02:54 PM
steel driving hammer

07-21-03 02:55 PM
purrcafe Does Toronto have any sort of celebration on New Year's Eve?If so, how large does it get? That might be something of an indication as to what might go on at the show . . .
07-21-03 03:11 PM
WastedAway Toronto IS a New Years celebration every year. We have at least 100,000 at Nathan Phillips Square for concerts featuring the likes of Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins, Kim Mitchell, Gowan, and Deborah Cox. Just down the street from there we have "First Night" which is the alcohol-free New Years festival, and, it is really growing in popularity (read: no assholes) as you can bring the kids along. Not to mention Caribana, where the black community attracts at least 250,000 participants. The Gay Pride parade in T.O. is really something to behold.....it is awesome. At least 400,000 there. The Pope attracted 800,000 to none other than Downsview Park last summer for World Youth Day.
Large crowds are NOTHING NEW to Toronto! The city is truly world class. Hope that answers your post properly, purr.
07-21-03 03:16 PM
steel driving hammer Hey Lazy Bones or Wasted Away;

I know Canada sells Cuban Cigars, was wondering if you've ever had a Monte Cristo or a Cuban? Are they as good as they say? Thanks.
07-21-03 03:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dandy....

Would you believe the vast amount of heart attacks in my county come between the ages of 40-60(What is the age of this crowd purported to be?)? With older folks it's falls, and CVAs, and heat stroke(in the summer). I had 3 chest pain calls last night, not one of them over the age of 55. I doubt the one lady was gonna make it...she needed shocked twice on the way to the hospital.

You are assuming that the crowd at the festival is going to be urbane and sophisticated....and while that may be true in comparison to my county...keep in mind that the good folks of Toronto will not be the only people in attendance. They have their share of hockey fight rednecks up north too. Remember Beavis & Butthead? Do you remember what kind of shirt Butthead always wore?

I wasn't going to bring up the terrorism card..but since you did. I'm not too worried about terrorism AT the festival itself. If I were a terrorist, the ripest targets would be the underground(closely packed with people and not many easy escape routes), or a site away from the festival...like the Needle. Attention will be focused on the big event, so it will be much easier to slip in the back door. Of course the other thing is regular crime, not just pickpockets...but robberies, even bank jobs, would be a concern that I would have...again, not so much at Downsview, but across town.

Wasted...thanks for your reply. I hope you know that the info that you have posted is far more valuable than anything Michael Cohl has said so far.

You can only do what it is within your power to do. No matter how well prepared you think you are, there will always be something that comes up that will catch you off guard. That is the nature of these things....and it's what I've been saying all along.

I know watching on TV won't be the same....I'd argue that it would be way better. No line at the pisser, and I can flush when I'm done. I can hop in the pool when the crap acts are on. I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I won't have to roast out in the sun all day. And when it's over I can go right to bed. Besides, the vast majority of folks at the festival will end up watching on TV anyhow...can you say Jumbotron?

Again, I'll say that I honestly hope everyone has a great time, and stays safe & happy. It's just my opinion that the payoff is not worth the hassles. But to all those who are braver than I...enjoy.
07-21-03 03:33 PM
nankerphelge I tried a few in Vancouver a few years back. I wasn't all that impressed, but then again, I didn't try them all and generally I don't care as much for full bodied cigars.

I'll stick with a nice Dominican or Jamaican any time.

You'd like 'em tho Steelie -- I hear you Howe grads like a strong smoke.

07-21-03 03:38 PM
Joey Love the Kitty Hammer .

Thanks .
07-21-03 03:46 PM
WastedAway Beavis and Butthead are going to the show I hear, so, all us Canucks will be in good company. Maybe even score. I'll be taking my digital cam so will post some shots as to our vantage point. Maybe even a few "show us your titties" shots, we'll see. Hopefully. Women who decide to go topless is totally legal in Ontario now. Far be it for us to be sexist in these parts. You go girls!
As far as heart attacks and such, when the Big Guy says it is time for you to punch your ticket, it's time. If you live every day like it's your last, it doesn't much matter. If it happens to be me, I just hope they do Sweet Virginia before it's my time!
07-21-03 07:03 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Dandy....

Would you believe the vast amount of heart attacks in my county come between the ages of 40-60(What is the age of this crowd purported to be?)? With older folks it's falls, and CVAs, and heat stroke(in the summer).

That's my point. A 40 - 60 year old who has lived a life downing twinkies and Big Macs sitting on their ass watching tv in the double wide getting up only to pop out another kid is NOT going to be in the same shape as someone of a different socio economic profile. They get OLD real fast.

When is this concert going on anyway?
07-21-03 07:22 PM
WastedAway Only in Toronto would they hold a Megaconcert on a Wednesday! July 30 ...... 8 more days! I think the reason that they held it on a Wednesday is to preserve that age-old Canadian tradition of taking time off from work to fuck the dog. Now that I think of it, isn't Wednesday called "hump day"? By Jesus, it is! I hope it lives up to its name on the 30th, eh ......
07-21-03 07:27 PM
WastedAway By the way ....... Hostess Twinkies and Big Macs are OK for you as long as you have a nice, tall, cold glass of milk with them ...... always remember the food groups, eh...
07-21-03 08:59 PM
beer Canada fun fact #57:

Alannis Morissette AND Celine Dion are from there!

Yes!
07-21-03 09:05 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
beer wrote:
Canada fun fact #57:
Alannis Morissette AND Celine Dion are from there!
Yes!

So is Montreal, the most fun I've ever had on this planet that I share w/ you guys and gals was from Montreal.

Had more fun there than on spring break Daytona Beach even, twice.
07-22-03 12:28 AM
Sir Stonesalot Dande...

Is Chicago any different? People cramming deep dish and keilbasa down their fat necks? Or Philly with their cheesesteaks and chili fries? You think Central PA is the only place that people pig out on Big Macs? Americans are pigs. We have terrible diets Are people from Toronto eating so much better than us? I really doubt it. They are having a quarter mile long barbeque pit after all.

I really don't know what the national figures are, but I'll bet we are not much different here than any place else.

07-22-03 12:57 AM
gypsy Dande* and SS, don't forget that I travel...and work in ER's all over America. I've come to the conclusion that the whole freakin' country is fat. Fat babies, fat kids, fat teens, fat nurses...FAT, FAT, FAT! I don't think it's predominant in just one area of the country, or even one socio-economic group. People are just lazier now. Hell, that's even why they get rude because the wait in the ER is so long...they've been raised as the fast-food generation...and therefore think an ER should run like a McDonald's drive-through.
Y'know what really sickens me? We have a lot of patients that return week after week with the same heart problems. One frequent patient was finally admitted...a couple of hours later, I went up to her room to do a portable chest x-ray...she was eating a fucking double-dip hot fudge sundae that she yelled at her kids to get her from Braum's. This woman was soooo lazy...she would practically pull my arm out of it's socket to pull her forward for the x-ray. Yet, she bolted right up for her sundae. That really pissed me off. It's sheer laziness...and that leads me to fat kids who sit around and play video games all day instead of going outside to play like we all did when we were kids. There are even obese toddlers that I x-ray...they cry and throw tantrums until mom or dad says "be good for the x-ray girl, and we'll go to McDonald's!" And the kid straightens up for a damn Happy Meal. First off, when I was a kid, you had to have a severed limb to get the luxury of the ER...cuz my dad was all "oh, extremities just bleed a lot...lemme put some pressure on it." And the few times I did break a limb, I did whatever the doctor said, cuz my parents would have spanked my ass.
Aaah. There...I feel much better now.
07-22-03 01:04 AM
Highwire Rob

I'M NOT FAT, I'M BIG BONED!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
07-22-03 08:51 AM
steel driving hammer
07-22-03 08:59 AM
Dandelion*
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I really don't know what the national figures are, but I'll bet we are not much different here than any place else.

Trust me...

I know Americans are fat. But it really depends upon where you're looking. You are going to see far more mongo fat people per capita in the Lewistown Super Walmart than you are in San Francisco for instance. And it ain't nice looking fat either. It's not the years and years of high calorie corporate lunches kinda fat. Pasta thighs.

All this talk makes me wanna smear crisco all over me and eat twenty boxes of Little Debbie moon pies! Wash it down with a case of Bud...and get a mullet!

07-22-03 09:01 AM
Dandelion*
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

Is that a childhood picture of Fiji?
07-22-03 09:43 AM
Joey "be good for the x-ray girl, and we'll .............."

Oh yeah ! Gyps. , when you talk like that I get more and more MOIST !

" oh, extremities just bleed a lot...lemme put some pressure on it."

Never say " extremities just bleed a lot " to the Joeskee .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY BOY !!!!!

07-22-03 09:50 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Dandelion* wrote:
Is that a childhood picture of Fiji?

Thats it! I was trying to think of something funny to say, but I couldn't!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5