ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAΡOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Will Toronto end up like Altamont ? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
07-18-03 02:55 PM
steel driving hammer From IORR,

Toronto restrictions softening

Due to negative responces from locals some of the restrictions have been lifted.

* beach blankets (recomend white) or sleeping bags allowed.
* soft coolers, snacks and soft drinks allowed
* no weapons (duh), booze or glass containers (Mick did almost get his head knocked off with a lemon gin bottle during the opening night of the 72 tour, I could read the label as it spun by and clipped Charlie's bass drum and spun over his head as well)
* binoculars and cell phones are permitted
* food and drink will be provided at prices below sporting events and movies.

07-19-03 12:52 AM
Sir Stonesalot >Read the first line of your reply to my first post on this subject and tell me who set the tone. <

Are you kidding? I can't tell.

I didn't mean anything nasty or mean, and if you took it that way...well, I guess I can't help that.
07-19-03 06:00 PM
purrcafe From elsewhere on this very board, the words of Michael Cohl. "I can't imagine that between Clear Channel Entertainment and House of Blues and Molson's and Dennis Mills and Jerry Grafstein and the Toronto Police and the Toronto Emergency Services and all of the same people who looked after the Pope at Downsview last year, that these people aren't going to get it together," he said.

"And if I didn't think they were able to get it together, I wouldn't have given them the band. Because at the end of the day, the most important thing I do for the Rolling Stones is make that decision above all others. They look to me to say: 'We can go here to play' and 'We can't go here to play.'"

The sky ain't falling.
07-19-03 11:19 PM
JaggaRichards I can just imagine the prices for food and drink at this thing.
07-20-03 12:10 AM
tumbling_dice SStonesalot, I am going to the Toronto concert (which I know is a risk). Lots of people are saying things without backing them up. I like the way you back up what you say with facts. I respect the fact that you seem to be really concerned about the safety of your fellow Stones fans and are not just trying to scare us like some people are. (not anyone here on this board but friends I talk to). :-D Becca
07-20-03 09:23 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
From IORR,

Toronto restrictions softening

Due to negative responces from locals some of the restrictions have been lifted.

* beach blankets (recomend white) or sleeping bags allowed.

Sleeping bags have been, and still are, prohibited! See the official site for faq's, more specifically, items allowed and prohibited. (ok, I've copied & pasted the list)

Allowed

* Snack foods
* special dietary foods
* non-alcoholic beverages in plastic sealed containers, maximum of two 500ml sized containers, free water refills on-site
* cell-phones
* knapsacks and soft sided cooler bags
* beach towels
* cushions, sealed (no zippers)
* binoculars
* medications
* rain ponchos

Prohibited

* cameras of any type
* audio and video recorders
* chairs
* fireworks
* weapons including pocket knives
* alcoholic beverages
* cans and glass bottles
* camping or camping equipment (including sleeping bags)
* hard sided coolers
* bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, scooters
* pets, other than Disabled Assistance Animals

http://www.iam.ca/rollingstones/faq.php
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
07-20-03 09:35 AM
nankerphelge Chiba is a medication!
07-20-03 10:19 AM
LadyJane
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Chiba is a medication!

All joking aside.....what IS the status of chiba legality?

Can one of our Canadian friends enlighten us on the proper chiba etiquette, especially with regards to being searched as we enter Downsview????

LadyJ.
07-20-03 12:58 PM
Lazy Bones Penalties for Marijuana Possession

The Cannabis Reform Bill distinguishes between penalties for adults and penalties for youths. A youth is someone under the age of 18. Parents or guardians of young people who receive a ticket or are charged with marijuana possession will be notified.

The penalties in the new marijuana legislation are:

* for possession of 15 grams or less of marijuana, enough for about 15 or 20 joints, the penalty would be a ticket with a fine of $150 for an adult, $100 for a youth
* for possession of one gram or less of cannabis resin (hashish), a ticket with a fine of $300 for an adult, $200 for a youth
* for possession of 15 grams or less of marijuana or one gram or less of cannabis resin where aggravating factors exist, the fines would be $400 for an adult and $250 for a youth. Aggravating factors include possession while committing an indictable offence, operating a motor vehicle, and on or near school grounds.
* for possession of from 15 grams to 30 grams of marijuana, the police would have the discretion to give a ticket or issue a criminal court summons. The ticket would be $300 for an adult and $200 for a youth. The summary conviction penalty would be up to six months in prison and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

Chances are, if you get it in and you're fairly discrete about it, you shouldn't have problems. With that many people, many smoking, the police won't bother with minor amounts. You bring in a pillow case full, you're looking for trouble. Even if security finds small amounts on entry, they'll probably take it and say "enjoy the show!". All depends on the guard. I've seen a friend have two of four roaches taken from a cigarette pack. Share-and-share alike, I guess.
07-20-03 01:06 PM
steel driving hammer U.S. firm scores Stones contract

Few jobs went to Toronto companies
'The money is going south of the border'

GREG QUILL
ENTERTAINMENT COLUMNIST

Millions of dollars worth of Canadian concert production equipment and the Canadian crews who operate it will be sitting idle on July 30 while American companies and mostly American workers reap the financial benefits from the Rolling Stones all-day event in Downsview.

"Our industry is hurting more than most as a result of the cancellation of hundreds of concerts, conventions and promotional events after the SARS outbreak (in March)," said Bob Spencer, who owns the Toronto concert audio company Band World, which he says is the second-largest in North America.

Band World's "top-of-the-line technology is exactly the same as or equivalent to what the Stones are using, but what they're using is being supplied by the American (subcontractor) Clair Brothers, out of Pennsylvania," Spencer said.

But organizers said that in order to secure the Stones, they had to agree to go with the concert company of the band's choice.

"One of the conditions on which The Rolling Stones and (their international business representative) Michael Cohl insisted was that they would be responsible for putting a team together that understood the dynamics of the Stones' stage, its unique design, construction, comfort and security features," said Dennis Mills, the Toronto MP who initiated the concert.

"They decided to use (U.S. concert company) Clear Channel, who are experts at tour management execution. They made the call and we promised no interference at this end. We're not comparing apples and apples here. If we were, the production would be 100 per cent Canadian."

Mills added that details of a "global satellite broadcast" of the event will be made public in the next few days, as well as the specifics of a formula "that will provide direct benefits" from the concert revenue to Ontario health care and hospitality workers.

Band World and several other Toronto companies — Westbury National Show Systems, PA Plus, Christie Lites and Optex Staging — have supplied equipment for and worked in the past with promoters House Of Blues and Molson Concerts as well as The Stones and countless other high-end international touring acts, Spencer said.

This time they've been shut out.

One Toronto-based company, Fourth Phase — the Canadian subsidiary of an American concern — has been awarded the contract to supply stage and audience lighting for the estimated $12 million event, to which the federal government has contributed $3.5 million and the provincial government $2.5 million. Molson and private investors have made up the remainder of the event's full budget.

Another Toronto company, Tower Staging, has been engaged to supply scaffolding to support speaker columns in the field, sources say, and a third Canadian operation, Sound Art in Winnipeg, has been subcontracted to supply about $4,000 worth of on-stage sound mixing equipment.

Late Wednesday, the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 53, negotiated a contract with the promoters that will allow 100 of its members — fewer than half the number required for the event — to work July 30 concert.

They will be supplemented by crews with the U.S. equipment suppliers, more than 100 non-union workers.

Experts estimate the cost of the Stones' concert stage, sound, lighting and video systems for the day — and the labour to operate them — at over $2 million.

Mills, Liberal MP for Toronto-Danforth, said yesterday he can give no specific figures on how much of the production budget for the concert is being spent on Canadian companies.
07-20-03 02:00 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Penalties for Marijuana Possession

The penalties in the new marijuana legislation are:

* for possession of 15 grams or less of marijuana, enough for about 15 or 20 joints, the penalty would be a ticket with a fine of $150 for an adult, $100 for a youth

Thanks LB!

I read somewhere that under the new law you were allowed up to 15 grams for personal use. That apparently was incorrect information. For all practical purposes, marijuana has been decriminalized, but remains illegal!!

Good info.

LadyJ.
07-20-03 02:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot It's half assed if you ask me.

What is the point in "decriminalizing" pot yet still having it be illeagal? Why not just go all the way, make it legal, and tax the shit out of it...like booze and ciggies.

Agreed?

OK, then.

Pot is now LEGAL!!!! Yay!
07-20-03 04:50 PM
Lazy Bones The point is, SS, if your caught with a bloody joint, the penalty is a small fine rather than a criminal record!
The hidden message is basically, don't bother wasting time and millions of tax dollars on people caught smoking a joint. If you legalize it, it tells society it's "ok". This way, they don't have to say that and on the same hand, don't have to deal with petty possession.
07-20-03 06:18 PM
WastedAway SirStonealot ........ sounds to me that you are getting such "bad vibes" about the concert because you couldn't score seats? Yes, things could go wrong, but they won't here, as security will be second to none. And, if you don't think a crowd of 500,000 can be controlled, you obviously have had no dealings with the Toronto Police before. The security for the event will be comprised of 2000 police officers from Toronto, Peel Region, Durham Region, Hamilton, and the Ontario Provincial Police. When these suckers say jump, you had better say how high? "SIR". Not to mention the other 3000 security guys from private companies. I keep reading on all the message boards about people that are thinking about drinking a couple of cases BEFORE the concert. You'll be bounced out on your ear before you even get to the gates! This concert will be filled to capacity with 50ish baby boomers attending with their kids. If you think for one minute that they will allow some drunken yahoo to puke or fall down drunk on themselves or their kids.......think again. We will be policing ourselves down there at this one. If you are thinking about getting totally blitzed and starting something ....... better make sure you are not sitting near me! I've seen what can happen at a large venue like this when something starts. All it takes is two drunks to start fighting cuz they can't hold their liquor and people start moving backwards as fast as they can. When this happens, feet get stepped on, and you "trip" while going backwards. The people trying to get away don't care who is underneath them at that point, and, well, let's just say you are screwed. If everyone would just think about what it would be like if they received a call on July 31 from Toronto Police informing them that their brother or sister, mom, dad, or friend had been killed the day before at the concert by being trampled on by some drunk ........ well, I rest my case. And the yoyo that killed them would probably just say "Oh wow, man". So with that thought in mind, and with the excellent security, and a class outfit like Molsons running the event, not to mention the people of Toronto being who they are, this concert will go off without a hitch. It's too bad you are hearing such negative voices in your head. This is going to make Woodstock 69 look like a picnic! Toronto organizers are pros, and there will be no room for any shenanigans at Downsview Park. So score some tickets SS and get your ass up here and try on the quarter-mile-long barbeque at the event, featuring none other than Mad Cowless Canadian Beef........the best in the world! In the best city in the world! With the greatest Rock & Roll band in the world! It certainly can't be the ticket prices holding you back......get up here! I'll be thinking about you when the cheer of 600,000 people goes up in the air when they announce "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones" ......it will send shivers up the old spine!
07-20-03 06:51 PM
WastedAway Sorry....I just saw a posting about food prices. The food prices will be about the same as the prices at the Toronto Molson Indy. Expect to pay about $4.50 for a hot dog from a cart, and $2.50 for the pop to go with it (canned pop). The 600 ml pop in the plastic bottles will be about $3.50. A slice from Pizza Pizza will be about $4.50. A plate full of ribs or beef will be close to $20. Apparently, you will be able to re-fill your plastic water bottles for free from a bottled water company. If you don't, bottled water will be about $3.50. When you are only paying $21.50 for a ticket, these prices seem sorta fair, eh?
As far as the marijuana laws go, they are pretty much non-existent at this time in Ontario, due to an Appeal that is currently happening. The Appeal won't be over by concert time. Yes!! But be discreet, eh......the cops aren't as concerned with that as with hard booze. They DO NOT want any drunken yahoos at Downsview Park. They realize that at least fans are "peaceful" when they are high. It's the drunk assholes that can't handle their liquor that cause all the problems, so, for the sake of the safety of EVERYONE, please be vigilant if you see trouble brewing. (take cell phone and dial 911) We all have to go to work the next day!
As far as traffic goes.....geez, now this could be a prob. I figure that traffic above ground will be stopped in all directions. In that aspect, they could have found a better place for the concert. That being said, the subway is really the only GOOD way to get there. At least it is underground and there are no friggin cars down there. But, and it is a BIG but, the subways will be packed. I'm sure that the Transit Commission will have some kind of plan in place to get fans there as quickly and comfortably as they possibly can. But, PATIENCE WILL BE REQUIRED by all fans that day. Again, if there are problems underground, that's what cell phones are for. Call the Transit Commisssion or the police if you spot any problems.
My buddy was driving by the site the other day and told me that there had to be at least 4000 portable toilets being readied for placement, so, that should make the ladies happy.
If we all behave in a civilized way on July 30, we are all going to have one whack of a party people........
07-20-03 07:14 PM
WastedAway To all the naysayers:
Mike Cohl is a native Torontonian......nobody wants to see this go off more than Mike. He has been producing concerts FOREVER in Toronto ....... ever heard of Concert Productions Int'l (CPI)? His company was a landmark in T.O. for years. He's probably just "venting"........I'm sure you would too if you were in his shoes. We should thank our lucky stars that he even offered the Stones to us.....Thanks Michael! What a GREAT event this is going to be.....Toronto is going to do you proud, Bud. But you already know that, eh.......
07-20-03 08:33 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
WastedAway wrote:
To all the naysayers:
Mike Cohl.....

Please.....call him Michael
07-20-03 10:16 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
WastedAway wrote:
SirStonealot ........ sounds to me that you are getting such "bad vibes" about the concert because you couldn't score seats?

Buddy trust me, him and I could of scored front row if we wanted, really.

For me, I didn't want spend all day there w/ the mass confusion, Justin Timbershit fans, and the people trying to disrespect the other people trying to have a good time.

I'd rather watch it half naked in my air conditioned living room w/ a $12 case of Guinness.

Salut.
07-20-03 10:27 PM
MarthaMyDear steelie said: Will Toronto end up like Altamont ?

NO IT WON'T, SO SHUT-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRACKING-
UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM GOING TO SEE THEM IN ENGLAND
IF I HAVE TO FUCKING WALK, HITCH HIKE (hitch hike, baby!!!),
AND/OR SWIM THERE AND I WILL KILL KEITH AND RONNIE IF THEY
GET IN ANOTHER CAR CRASH AND I'LL START A FUCKING CLASS
ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST TICKETBASTARD IF THEY FUCK ANYTHING UP
MAJORLY WHERE PEOPLE DON'T GET THEIR TIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
STOP THE INSANITY AND STOP MAKING PEOPLE WORRY!!!!!!
CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.................. :P
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Just kidding... lol.................. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P :P :P Kind of...
lol.................. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Rock on... lol..................
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***
07-20-03 11:30 PM
steel driving hammer Bakie Don't Stop!!

07-20-03 11:41 PM
WastedAway SDH......point well taken.....BUT, how could you have scored front row, really, when all seats are General Admission? Were you planning on arriving yesterday?
07-20-03 11:43 PM
MarthaMyDear My new Fleetwood Mac tour tank top is cuter than ALL of those
fricking Stones clothes... SHEESH!!!
lol.......................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
I'll still be getting a
London tee or two, though... lol.......................... :P
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
If they don't suck COMPLETELY but I'll probably get one or
two anyways... lol.......................... :P :P :P :P :P
:P :P :P :P :P ROCK ON,
YOU SILLY FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

*** Martha ***
07-21-03 08:52 AM
scope
quote:
WastedAway wrote:
SDH......point well taken.....BUT, how could you have scored front row, really, when all seats are General Admission? Were you planning on arriving yesterday?

You obviously do not know Sir Stonesalot. The man got into Roseland! (very honorable mention here to Sir Moonie). One of the hardest ticket, if not thee hardest tickets to score on this tour. If he wanted in to this Toronto thing, he'd be in. If he wanted to be up front, he'd be up front. LOL!

I have to agree that this show may be getting a bit too big to really enjoy (i.e. see and hear the band from a decent vantage point, and not have to sit thorough some puke music) and share in his concern for everyone who is going. I appreciate the good thoughts of everyone behaving, but all it takes is a few idiots to mess it up. I gotta believe that among the 500,000 there will be some assholes that get out of hand.

I'll wait for the last minute airing on pay-per-view or the DVD. Then I can bypass the crap and go right to the act that matters. Justin, er I mean the Rolling Fuckin' Stones!
07-21-03 09:30 AM
purrcafe There will always be a few idiots who mess it up for some of those unfortunate enough to be seated in their immediate vicinity. Some people don't understand or just don't care that their behavior impacts others who are trying to enjoy the show in their own way. There will undoubtedly be altercations, alcohol ODs, a bunch of minor injuries, and who knows, maybe even a couple of fatalities (remember, there were even a handful of deaths at Woodstock). But, to compare Toronto to Altamont is just absurd. The show isn't taking place in a relative vaccum, unlike Altamont. The government of the city of Toronto is involved, the Stones organization is involved, and doubtless countless others are sharing information and expertise to make sure this goes off without a hitch.
07-21-03 09:32 AM
purrcafe This just in: at Justin Timberlake's suggestion, the Rolling Stones have announced that a coalition of Bloods and Crips will be acting as security at the Toronto show. They will be paid with as much crack and methamphetamine as they can consume during the course of the day.
07-21-03 09:50 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
This just in: at Justin Timberlake's suggestion, the Rolling Stones have announced that a coalition of Bloods and Crips will be acting as security at the Toronto show. They will be paid with as much crack and methamphetamine as they can consume during the course of the day.

Good one!

Get your kicks, on Route 40 Licks.
07-21-03 10:49 AM
Sir Stonesalot Thanks scopey...you certainly are minty fresh today.

But honestly...Sirmoonie is the guy who scored the tickets to Roseland. I was simply his guest. And for that he shall always have my undying gratitude.

HOWEVER!

That does not change the fact that I COULD have gone to Toronto, and I COULD have easily gotten a ticket. As far as I can tell they'll print off a ticket for as many people as will pay for them.

Wasted Away....Well done, and great posting. Now, care to tell us who you work for? The SARS Fest, or Michael Cohl? Or someone else with a vested interest in this thing?

You stated in your post:

>I've seen what can happen at a large venue like this when something starts. All it takes is two drunks to start fighting cuz they can't hold their liquor and people start moving backwards as fast as they can. When this happens, feet get stepped on, and you "trip" while going backwards. The people trying to get away don't care who is underneath them at that point, and, well, let's just say you are screwed.<

And just exactly how are your 2000 police and 3000 private security guys gonna stop that from happening? Are they gonna wade into the seething crowd and get themselves crushed? Are they gonna get out the pepper spray nad cause an even bigger stampede? Look, I'm sure Toronto PD are a top notch department with good officers and patrolmen. But even including the event security guys they are outnumbered 100 to 1. I'm very sorry, but when the numbers are like that there is very little that they can do once the trouble has started, no matter how good they are. This is EXACTLY what I meant when I said that effective security is impossible in a crowd that size.

>We will be policing ourselves down there at this one. <

Oh wonderful. So you would compound the situation by becoming involved in it? You know what would be better? Going and getting one of the 2000 cops...if you can find one amoungst the other 500,000+ people. Trying to break up a brawl between 2 drunks is an easy way to get yourself in a pile of trouble. Leave the policing to the guys with the training and the equipment to handle the situation.

>This is going to make Woodstock 69 look like a picnic!<

Uhhhh...don't you mean that the other way around? Picnics are a good thing. Don't you want the SARS Fest to be like a picnic?

>But, PATIENCE WILL BE REQUIRED by all fans that day.<

Agreed.

Now, think about this. We live in an age of instant gratification. Folks get agitated having to wait for a traffic light...how do you think they'll handle an hour wait to use the pisser...assuming that the pissers are still servicable after the first few hours of the show. Or an hour wait to buy a $5.00 burger. Or a 3-4 hour wait to actually GET INTO THE EVENT....and even longer to get out?

It is easy to ask everyone to be patient. But I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. The chances of 500 or 600 thousand people all keeping their cool for upwards of 20 hours is an awful lot to expect. Especially after the show. People are going to be exhausted and stressed from spending a hard day out in the sun in a gigantic crowd. Nerves will be frazzeled. Patience will be in VERY short supply.

Look, I have stated many many times on recent threads that I am NOT trying to discourage anyone from going to Toronto. I am concerned for the safety and welfare of my cyberpals from Rocks Off that are going. I am trying to get them to THINK before they get up there. 80% of all the problems that they will face can be mitigated with a little bit of thought and preparation beforehand. This is why I keep hammering away at them. The better prepared they are, both mentally and physically, the better chance they have of enjoying themselves.

I do not consider myself a naysayer. I am just pointing out problem areas that people need to consider before they go.

So go and have fun, but PLEASE THINK before you go.
07-21-03 11:55 AM
jb Look, I was almost crushed at a Wham concert at the old miami baseball stadium (Bobby Modero) in 1985....it could happen!!!!!!!!!!!):
07-21-03 12:20 PM
nankerphelge in the men's room???

Just curious...
07-21-03 12:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot Could jb be the one who introduced Joey to the Gloryhole?

I am stunned!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5