ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RESULTS: Let the HeADbAngERs Ball Begin: Level One Trivia Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
07-18-03 04:13 PM
Gazza >The Nearness Of You DID debut before its official release.There was nothing in the question,it must have been released yet.

How do you know its GOING to be released?

If you use that criteria, then you could include any song performed by the band in their entire history which MAY be released at some point in the future (ie Chantilly lace, the sun is shining, sweet little sixteen, Rock me baby - )

You cant presume what the band will release in years to come. sorry! :-)
07-18-03 04:29 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
RubyFriday wrote:
Of course WAS is past cause it is related to that moment when the debut happened.
Did Nearness Of You gave its live debut ?.......Yes.
Was a studio version released ?........No.
So,IMO,it gave its live debut before it was officially released .So to spoke.

Ruby Friday,

Since we have now established that you understand the meaning of the word "was". Using your own words, "related to that moment when it happened"

Now go re-read the original question carefully:

22. (Mention at least one song which debuted live)

before its STUDIO VERSION....WAS.....OFFICIALLY RELEASED.

The "was" in the question relates to the official release, NOT the live debut as you keep saying.

It's not really splitting hairs. Your answer WAS incorrect.

Now for my one and only objection to Voodoo, Gazza, Jaxx.

15. Identify Bill Wyman’s first amp.

We accepted the following answers as there are differences between some sources: Watkins OR Goodman OR Vox AC-30

I want to go on record saying that the Vox AC-30 may have been the infamous "spare amp" that got Bill the gig with the Stones BUT it was NOT his "first amp".

Seriously, NOBODY has a Vox AC-30 for their "first amp". That's like having a "Rolls Royce for your first car". Unless you are rich, just about everybody's first car is not the greatest and the same goes with a guitarist's "first amp" too.

I can support my argument too:

Bill Wyman wrote that he was making 8 pounds a week and he found out that basses cost at least 115 pounds and he couldn't afford that kind of money. He found a guy selling an old piece of junk Japanese bass that he bought and modified. That first bass, the infamous, "fretless wonder" cost him 8 pounds. He wrote that he gave the guy 4 pounds down, and paid him the other 4 pounds later. Now to my point. A Vox AC-30 amp back then had a retail price of TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY NINE POUNDS. That's right, 249 pounds.

HOW THE FUCK COULD A GUY MAKING 8 POUNDS A WEEK buy a Vox AC-30 as his "first amp". Bill could NOT afford 115 pounds for a top of the line bass guitar so how could he afford TWICE that amount for a top of the line amp ? We're talking 7 or 8 months of his ENTIRE salary. Like I said before, "You don't drive a Rolls Royce for your first car". (unless you are Josh :-)

The Vox AC-30 amp was NOT Bill's "first amp". It's been well documented (depending on source) that his "first amp" was a "$55 Watkins amp" or a "Goodman amp".

MY POINT ? I don't think that the "Vox AC-30" answer should be allowed and points should be appropriately deducted.

Later, Cardinal Fang

07-18-03 04:36 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl My dear Zappa freakz regardless of the possible doubts you're number one and two with just 0.1 difference!!!

Cardinal, thank for the information and I'm sure you're right, however we can't put a wrong answers to all who answered "Vox AC-30" as it comes from a reliable source and is in many book. BTW, almost all answered that one.
07-18-03 05:30 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Speaking from tenth place to first place, Cardy, I'd say let it slide. It is mentioned in several credible (and un-credible) sources. What's done is done, it's all in fun, and you're in the lead, so quicha moanin'!

Can't wait for part two. I had a blast with part one.

-tSYX --- Coming down again...
07-18-03 05:33 PM
Soul Survivor I may not have advaanced... But hey, it was fun. Everyone had an equal oppurtunity to advance. Will there be more contests in the future?
07-18-03 08:32 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
I may not have advaanced... But hey, it was fun. Everyone had an equal oppurtunity to advance. Will there be more contests in the future?

Hey, Soulie, I think you do advance, you just start a considerable distance behind our own Cardinal there. Just like golf.

I dunno, though.

-tSYX --- Get those Nike endorsements through, Ronnie!
07-18-03 08:33 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
15. Identify Bill Wyman’s first amp.
[quote]

I'm with Cardinal Fang on this, although I didn't go to the deductive lengths he did: I believe it simply because Bill said the AC30 was his second amp in Stone Alone. He did get some things wrong in this snooze fest, but this detail is boring enough that he would get this right.

What sources say the AC30 was the first?

[quote]Jaxx wrote:
22. Mention at least one song which debuted live before its studio version was released.

[quote]

"ITS studio version." Not it's STONES studio version. "The Nearness of You" was copyrighted on 12/10/1937, and has been recorded dozens of times before Keith did it the other night. This answer should NOT be accepted as correct.

This is all nitpicking and I don't really care. I'm happy with third!

07-18-03 08:42 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

Hey, Soulie, I think you do advance, you just start a considerable distance behind our own Cardinal there. Just like golf.

I dunno, though.

-tSYX --- Get those Nike endorsements through, Ronnie!

Well I came in 12th....and the top 10 are advancing
07-18-03 09:13 PM
Soul Survivor Voodoo, for the opening act question, question 20 i think it is, I said the stones opened for the Ronettes and it was marked wrong. But go this link and read the second paragraph

http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/1437031/10232000/rolling_stones.jhtml
07-18-03 09:15 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hey guys, I know, great prizes and all and everyone here's really hopin' to win, but could we save any industrial nit-picking until the final round or something unless there's something drastically wrong with any of these answers that would irrevocably change the outcome?

I know, everyone's really eager, but I just think if we all remain on speaking terms after this it might be a tad more fun.

RONNIE'S RULES OF ORDER:

1) No hurting anyone else's feelings. Or making them cry. Or denying them (earned) pie.
2) No Dirty Work. Not even if she purrs.

-tSYX --- Cuz' I had it, had it, had it, had it wit' you...
07-18-03 09:49 PM
Angiegirl Wow, shared 4th place! I didn't expect myself to do that well. That's cool. So does that mean I'm through to the 2nd round? The first 10 or something?
I will be killed in round 2 if the questions are getting even harder than some of round 1. But it's nice to be participating with such a thing anyway! Congrats to the Cardinal btw.

And get well Jaxx!
07-18-03 10:10 PM
beer Congrats Angiegirl, 4th aint bad huh?

I cant believe I missed a very easy one! I still don't think the two songs played at the NME awards thing should count as the last public show Brian played in, but i aint gonna fuckin nit pick. Bring on round 2!
07-18-03 10:25 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
beer wrote:
Congrats Angiegirl, 4th aint bad huh?

I cant believe I missed a very easy one! I still don't think the two songs played at the NME awards thing should count as the last public show Brian played in, but i aint gonna fuckin nit pick. Bring on round 2!

Thanx Beer, you too!

They answers always seem easy when you see them don't they? LOL!
07-18-03 10:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
beer wrote:
Congrats Angiegirl, 4th aint bad huh?

Yes, it was a show, the "NME Pollwinners Concert" regardless that the Stones only played two songs... and the historic DEBUT of Jumping Jack Flash
07-18-03 10:31 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
Voodoo, for the opening act question, question 20 i think it is, I said the stones opened for the Ronettes and it was marked wrong. But go this link and read the second paragraph

Yes you're right and we gave you the point, please review and see the results.
07-18-03 10:35 PM
Soul Survivor oh, cuz the first time i read it i had 16.40, now its 17.40
07-18-03 10:42 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes Soulie that's right, good luck for the next one and thanks for your participation
07-18-03 10:45 PM
Soul Survivor whens the next one? (lol, these things excite me)
07-18-03 10:49 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
It is mentioned in several credible (and un-credible) sources. What's done is done, it's all in fun, and you're in the lead, so quicha moanin'!
-tSYX --- Coming down again...

Yeah ? NAME ONE.

I mean it's NOT like BILL WYMAN ever said it was his first amp. I can quote you FOUR DIFFERENT SOURCES by Bill Wyman that state other wise.

01 - Stone Alone written by BILL WYMAN

02 - Rolling Stones, an unauthorized biography by David Dalton

03 - The Rolling Stones-The First 20 Years by David Dalton

04 - 1978 Guitar Player Magazine Interview by Jon Sievert

OK, I gave four sources. In three of the sources Bill names his first amp. (Here's a clue: NOT A VOX AC-30) In his own book he says that the Vox AC-30 was an amp he got later on.

I am NOT "nitpicking". I am NOT "moanin'" about "the way a question is phrased" or one's "definition" of a word. The question is pretty cut and dry. If I asked you Xyzzy, "what was the name of your FIRST girlfriend", there is only ONE answer. For example, "Her name was Betty". My second girlfriend's name was Penelope. The answer to the question, "Xyzzy, what's your first girlfriend's name" would NOT then become "Penelope".

An INCORRECT ANSWER is an INCORRECT ANSWER.

(And before you REALLY start to piss me off young Xyzzy), This has NOTHING to do with me being in first place, or last place, or WHATEVER place !!!

Truth be told, I'm NOT even playing for the prizes and may even donate them to somebody else here ? I am playing for the CHALLENGE. However, I DEMAND accuracy, regardless of which position I am in. First, last or whatever.

I mean are we going to start using Nick Kent as a source for questions & answers now ? :-)

OK, Barry's up so I gotta go watch us beat the Rockies.

Later, Cardinal Fang
07-18-03 11:07 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Cardinal Fang wrote:
An INCORRECT ANSWER is an INCORRECT ANSWER.

You're right Cardinal as I replied the first time, I just made emphasis that there are some sources saying it was the VOX amp so they are not guilty, for the second round we won’t care if the participants have not reliable sources..

You have a good point above, an incorrect answer is an incorrect answer, I'm going to make first a simulation of giving ZERO points to those answering the VOX stuff, if it does not change the results we will leave it as they are now, if not I will discuss this with Gazza and (if possible) with Jaxx as she has been off-line must of the time since we started the trivia (and before)

Come on guys let's go for the second round in which we are going to go for RIGHT ANSWERS only. This is for fun but this time the prizes are cool.

I will be including some bonus gift from me to the winners.
07-18-03 11:11 PM
Soul Survivor whens round 2 (not that Im in it, but still, im a follower!)
07-18-03 11:30 PM
beer "In the meantime, Tony Chapman had found me an old bass guitar, called a Tuxedo. I scraped together the 8 pounds to buy it. With the help of a neighbors fretwork machine, I reshaped the guitar body and then took all the frets out. I intended replacing them with new ones, but it sounded so good that I left it as it was - the first fretless bass. I needed an amplifier and speaker. We clubbed together and bought a Goodmans 18 inch bass speaker along with a Linear - Concorde 30 watt build it yourself amplifier. We built a cabinet and put concrete in the bottom, as we'd heard that it improved sound. It did, but but made it almost too heavy to lift. I had to take the lid off the amp as it over heated. I also got a shock whenever I plugged in - the whole thing was live!"

- Bill Wyman
"Rolling With The Stones", page 29
07-18-03 11:54 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Whoa, whoa, Cardy, easy, man!

It's just a game, just a game... have a good time... drink a beer... watch the game... invite over Mick Taylor so he doesn't become a guest anywhere...

Alright, I hear you. I believe you. I wasn't callin' you into question. I'm just saying it's the first round and all, and with trivia being, well, trivial, it's nothing to yell at folks about.

-tSYX --- Rock is dead, they say...
07-19-03 12:30 AM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
You have a good point above, an incorrect answer is an incorrect answer, I'm going to make first a simulation of giving ZERO points to those answering the VOX stuff, if it does not change the results we will leave it as they are now, if not I will discuss this with Gazza and (if possible) with Jaxx as she has been off-line must of the time since we started the trivia (and before)

I will be including some bonus gift from me to the winners.

Este es EXACTAMENTE porque te amo Gerardo mi amigo!
(did I get that right ?)

Before anybody gets the WRONG idea, I am NOT mad or anything so I hope it didn't come off sounding that way ?

Truth be told, I am more excited about what you said in your last email mi hermano ! Funny, it was addressed from your wife though !!

I also want to say "Hi" to my friend JAXX and WISH HER WELL !! (Sorry that my Giants are spanking your Rockies 7-0 right now !)

Also "Hello" and "Thank's" to Angie !! I have always like you too !

Later, Cardinal Fang

P.S. Wait til I have MY trivia contest that I have been writing for about 3 months now !! NONE of these questions are easy at all ! (they are not "impossible", you either know them or you don't) They are "Gazza/FPM" grade questions. I'll let you know when I'm ready with it. Probably by the end of the year ? (You know what a "perfectionist" I am)

P.P.S. She had a snake for a pet and an amulet and she was breeding a dwarf.............
07-19-03 11:23 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Cardinal Fang wrote:
(did I get that right ?)

LOL you are by far much better answering Stones trivias
07-21-03 12:08 AM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
(did I get that right ?)
LOL you are by far much better answering Stones trivias

GERARDO !!!

Como usted conoce Gerardo mi amigo, "mi poco Espanol es MUY malo !!!"

In the interest of accuracy (and so I can learn from my mistakes) PLEASE educate me ! How should I have said, "Este es EXACTAMENTE porque te amo Gerardo mi amigo!" En Ingles ??
Allow me to learn and improve on my really, really, BAD Spanish, mi amigo !!

"Get Well, LADY JAXX !!!!!"

Later, Cardinal Fang

P.S. "Hey, Hey, Hey,.....Tush, Tush, Tush !!
OR.... "Won Ton On" (AKA "Gazza Chinese" !! )

lol, I LOVE it !!

L8r :-)

07-23-03 12:08 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Sunday night we'll have the second round ready, please be ready as there will be less time to answer.
07-23-03 12:10 AM
Soul Survivor Gerardo, could you list the names of the people advancing?
07-23-03 07:59 PM
Angiegirl Hey!! What about the people who are going to Prague to see the Stones?? Like, uhm, ME!!!
So how long do we have time then? I won't be able to start till Tuesday... snif, poor me.
Page: 1 2 3