ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RESULTS: Let the HeADbAngERs Ball Begin: Level One Trivia Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
07-08-03 09:54 AM
parmeda Count me in

I am currently making available wall space for one of those photos, lol

And I would like to take this opportunity to make an appeal to The Unholy Trinity that if I may be so fortunate to make it to Level 3...
* Will I have access to any "life lines"?
* May I "phone a friend"?
In this case...Mick, Keith...please PM your phone numbers to me ASAP
(BACK OFF EVERYONE...I'm calling dibbs on 'em first!!!!)

In all seriousness, I'm glad I finally sent my answers in. There are a few that stumped me and I've been doing like Angie had mentioned...dug out everything I had to re-read and mull over again. OMG, what a headache!

Good Luck Everyone!
07-08-03 04:13 PM
moy i'm in with at least 50% right
07-08-03 08:42 PM
fmk438j I just mailed my attempt to Jaxx.
07-08-03 10:57 PM
Soul Survivor I think I got about 85% of them right. I think I only missed about 2 or 3.....but Im confident. Like all of you....I want these photos! I can only imagine how hard its gonna be. Jaxx, would you say round 2 is significantly harder?
07-08-03 11:42 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy To hell with Mick & Keith (and Ronnie and Charlie)! I'm calling Bill! At least he has some idea! Mick might, but I think he was busy checking the front row during most of these questions, Ronnie is now famous for having large portions of his life missing ("The Wild Life... yeah... was I in that?"), Charlie wouldn't care, and I'm sure Ronnie's missing pages are paltry compared to Keith's.

Damn, this really was a headbanger. I think I got *maybe* 20 out of 25. *Maybe*. If I'm lucky. I actually *knew* around 10-12 out of 25, and the rest was all openbookgoodness. I'll never make it to Round 3, but it's fun as hell to try!

Can I get points for creativity?

-tSYX --- Give Ireland back to the Irish, don't make 'em have to take it away...
07-09-03 10:25 AM
RubyFriday I´m in,too.....though these quote-questions are a bit boring...you know them or not,no chance to find out.I liked the candy bar question ....should have been the question,what happened to it........
07-09-03 11:07 AM
Zeeta Hello yes I have submitted my answers - I will not win but they are a good try,

Cheers
and thanks for the great quiz - it is a great idea and I enjoyed it
07-09-03 11:20 AM
Soul Survivor When will we get the results
07-09-03 11:21 AM
stonedinaustralia i'm in

jaxx i emailed you with c.c.s to gazza and voodoo
07-09-03 01:24 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yeah, I sent mine in last night, finally. It's done.

In re the rules:

When you send in your answers, are your scores tallied up and then only a certain group of like ten-fifteen people go on? Or is the first round just kind of a buffer with the combined scores from the first two rounds deciding who makes it into round three?

For example. Let's say I submit my answers and get 17 out of 25 (which is what I'm guessing I got, conservatively). I know the smart 'uns out there will have a significantly larger amount of questions right. Will there be a big leaderboard with no eliminations, so I'd have a chance at getting a few more right during the second round? Or if my answers weren't in the top ten-to-fifteen, would I have to sit on the sidelines during the second round?

The way it's explained, it sounds like the former is true, and everyone tries the first two rounds and the highest combined five-to-ten-or-whatever combined scores go on to Celebrity Jeopardy. But I dunno.

-tSYX --- Connection, I just can't make no...
07-09-03 03:11 PM
voodoopug I am in
07-09-03 11:06 PM
jaggergurl well..I tried..hope I didn't embarrass myself too much...LOL!!
07-10-03 01:36 AM
gomper Pues ya contesté, no me dió tiempo de buscar todo pero espero que haya extras como en la prepa.

Voodoo, para la otra avisa con 15 días de anticipación como decia tío gamboín, no seas ojeis.

Siempre tuyo:

El miembro más grande de rocks off.
07-10-03 02:56 AM
Cant Catch Me Sent in some answers, so hopefully I'm still in the running.
07-10-03 09:07 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes you're in! see the time you confirmed your registration

Posted 07-09-03 11:56 PM

4 minutes before the deadline.

Please Stoned in Australia send me your answers as soon as possible as jaxx is being very busy and I don't have your answers. You didn't follow the simple rule to send the answer to the three of us but that's ok, no problem but send them NOW
07-10-03 09:56 AM
stonedinaustralia Done Voodoo

Sorry about that

Thanks for cutting me some slack but if you check with Jaxx my answers haven't changed

I tried to send them to you - am having some trouble with my "initialization" so my computer tells me anyway

Thanks

p.s. I'm surprised there weren't more contenders
07-10-03 11:44 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl You're right just 15 contenders and 9 out of them from the US, similar to the olymics probably hard questions for the first level.
07-10-03 12:29 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I had a blast. This was awesome.

Now I just gots to know -

When we findin' out, Ronnie?

"Shall I put on some 'Dirty Work'?", she purred - "I think we've plagarized from other people enough in this post!", I replied.

-tSYX --- One too many mornings...
07-15-03 12:31 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Since I have received some PMs and e-mails asking for the status of this, let me tell you that we're about to publish the names of the participants going to the second round. Sorry but this is taking longer than expected as Jaxx has been off-line and very busy and we need to review the whole thing by the three of us.
07-18-03 12:07 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl We have the participants for the second round, but first these are the answers.

Sorry for the big delay but another who's probably going to make it for the second round is jaxx... for a second surgery. She's mentally preparing herself for the next round of surgery, not sure but anyway GET WELL JAXX!!!

1. What is another name for the song "I Don't Know the Reason Why”?

Hillside Blues.

2. Identify “the roommate” at Edith's Grove.

James Phelge

3. Why did Bill Wyman make his own guitar?

Small hands

4. How did Keith: (a) Write the tune for “Satisfaction”? (b) Where was he?

(a) he woke up in the middle of the night grabbed a guitar and taped the riff echoing in his head. (b) Clearwater, FL

5. At what number did “Monkey Grip" peak on the British charts?

6. When did The Rolling Stones meet The Beatles?

April 14, 1963

7. Who said. "I've never had a problem with drugs, only with cops"?

Keith Richards

8. Identify the alleged candy bar in "The Bust"

Mars bar

9. What’s another name for the song, “Loving Cup”?

Gimme a Little Drink.

10. Who said, "At 33 I'll quit. I couldn't bear to end up as an Elvis Presley and sing in Las Vegas with all those housewives and old ladies coming in with their handbags. It’s really sick."?

Mick Jagger

11. Why did the Marquee bookings end?

Cyril Davies fired them after they asked for more money, it took place after a show on 31.1.63. He didn’t like their style anyway and it was a good excuse but the actual reason as verified by Bill Wyman was due to them asking for more money. We had one answer more in line with the incident at the 71 TV special when Keith got into an argument with Harold Pendleton before the taping of the TV show and swung his guitar at him..

12. Who said, "As far as I know, Brian never wrote a single finished song in his life; He wrote bits and pieces, but never presented them to us."?

Keith Richards

13. Mick refused to do the finale on which British TV show?

Sunday Night at the London Palladium.

14. What was the original name planned for Aftermath?

Could You Walk on the Water.

15. Identify Bill Wyman’s first amp.

We accepted the following answers as there are differences between some sources: Watkins OR Goodman OR Vox AC-30

16. How long did the jury deliberate before finding Jagger guilty at the Redlands bust?

5 minutes, we accepted 6 minutes too.

17. Who said, “Performing's like sex. You might like it, but you don't wanna do it all the time.”?

Mick Jagger

18. What is another name for the song "In Another Land"

First it was “Bill’s Tune” and then “Acid in the Grass”.

19. One night Charlie arrived late for a gig, name (a) The drummer who took his place, (b) the date and (c) the venue

(a) Simon Kirke (b) February 23, 1986 (c) 100 Club in London (Stu Memorial gig) The answer with Micky Waller is not valid as Charlie was NOT late he simply didn’t arrive.

20. The Rolling Stones opened (a) For who? (b) What year?

(a) Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Everly Brothers. Just once: The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, etc (b) All in 1963

21. Identify: (a) The last show The Rolling Stones performed live with Brian in front of a public audience (b) Brian’s last show with The Rolling Stones.

(a) Empire Pool, Wembley, NME Pollwinners May 12 1968 (b) Intertel Studios, London, Rock and Roll Circus, December 12, 1968

22. Mention at least one song which debuted live before its studio version was officially released.

There’s a lot. All the answers were right except two of them and I verified twice that the answers were wrong (“Shine a light” is wrong and “The Nearness Of You” has not been officially released yet).

Some songs are:
    Many form the 1962-1963 gigs
    Bitch
    Brown Sugar
    Cherry Oh baby
    Dead Flowers
    Don’t Stop
    Gimme Shelter
    Honky Tonk Women
    Jumping Jack Flash
    Live with me
    Love in Vain
    Loving Cup
    Midnight Rambler
    No Expectations
    Out of Control
    Wild Horses
    You can’t always etc

23. For the live debut of “2000 Light Years from Home” name: (a) the date (b) the venue

(a) August 31, 1989 (b) Veterans Stadium

24. Identify the recording session in the photo below indicating (a) the album being recorded (b) the studio they are in and (c) the year

(a) Beggars Banquet (b) Olympic Sound Studios, London (c) 1968

25. Name the officially released Rolling Stones songs that are instrumentals?

2120 South Michigan Avenue, Now I’ve Got A Witness. Also “Stoned” but it has some vocals by Mick not singing but adding some lyrics. Also many songs have an instrumental version officially released as singles but don’t count as the question was “Name the officially released Rolling Stones songs that are instrumental” and they are not instrumental songs but their instrumental versions.

07-18-03 12:16 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
07-18-03 12:19 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Details avilable at http://rocksoff.org/h3-trivia-firstroundresults.htm
07-18-03 12:20 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The first 4 who sent their answers are also the top four in the trivia results... that's cool
07-18-03 05:00 AM
RubyFriday The Nearness Of You DID debut before its official release.There was nothing in the question,it must have been released yet.
07-18-03 05:52 AM
Zeeta Boo hoo!

Well better luck next time for me!
07-18-03 08:44 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
RubyFriday wrote:
The Nearness Of You DID debut before its official release.There was nothing in the question,it must have been released yet.

You have one additional point because of question 10 in which you gave us the right answer "Mick Jagger" and "I don't know why" I didn't give you one point.

About the "Nearness of you" please read the question "22. Mention at least one song which debuted live before its studio version was released.

WAS is PAST, so it has not happened yet and you don't get the point.

Now you're second, that's cool first and second places are huge Frank Zappa fans
07-18-03 10:32 AM
moy grrr sniff sniff
07-18-03 12:16 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Awwwwwwyeah... Savage, Young, and Breaking Even!

I had a blast, and I'm lookin' forward to more - since I'm not in the black there, does it mean I'm out for the count and am only now playin' for fun, or does it just put me quite a few points behind our one remaining Cardinal and the illustrious RubyFriday (whos nights involve arrival sans luggage)?
07-18-03 03:10 PM
RubyFriday
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

About the "Nearness of you" please read the question "22. Mention at least one song which debuted live before its studio version was released.

WAS is PAST, so it has not happened yet and you don't get the point.

Sorry,but this is hairsplitting....Of course WAS is past cause it is related to that moment when the debut happened.
Did Nearness Of You gave its live debut ?.......Yes.
Was a studio version released ?........No.
So,IMO,it gave its live debut before it was officially released .So to spoke.
07-18-03 04:13 PM
parmeda
quote:
RubyFriday wrote:
Sorry,but this is hairsplitting....

Oh, you know it! LOL

I hope Jaxx will be alright...will we be waiting for her before anything continues on?
Page: 1 2 3