ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

The Giant Phallus, MSG June 22, 1975
By Bob Gruen
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones technician dies during band's rehearsal Return to archive
07-19-02 06:47 AM
Lazy Bones

Stones aide dies

Guitar technician collapses during
band's North York rehearsal

By IAN ROBERTSON, PHILIP
LEE-SHANOK and JACK BOLAND --
Toronto Sun

TORONTO -- The Rolling Stones' rehearsal at
North York's heavily guarded Crescent School
came to an abrupt halt last night when a crew
member suffered a fatal heart attack.

The man, identified as Roydon McGee, was
taken by ambulance to Sunnybrook hospital at
10 p.m.

SHAKEN

He was pronounced dead upon arrival, a tour
staffer said at the hospital, before declining
further comment and joining another colleague.
Both were obviously shaken.

McGee, a guitar technician for the Stones,
collapsed during the band's final set of the
evening.

Paramedics received a 911 call from the school
at 9:25 p.m., and found a Stones' medical aide
"already working on him," performing
cardio-pulminary resuscitation, a Toronto
Ambulance source told The Toronto Sun. The
staffer's vital signs were already absent when
the crew arrived.

The Stones' evening rehearsal began around 5
p.m., after guitarist Ron Wood and frontman
Mick Jagger were whisked into the school on
Bayview Ave., near Lawrence Ave.

Wood came through first in a white limo with
Jagger following 10 minutes later. Jagger
shunned the fans and media, putting his fingers
up in front of his face and mouthing "no" to
outstretched hands.

WAITED ALL DAY

John Brent, a Grade 10 student at the private
school, waited all day through downpours of
rain to catch a glimpse of the aging rock stars.

"My mom gave me an album (Goat's Head
Soup) and asked me to try an get an autograph
from one of them," said Brent. "I play guitar and
would like to jam with them since they're using
my school."

The Stones have set up a session studio in
Crescent as they prepare for their upcoming
tour, which kicks off Sept. 3 in Boston

On Oct. 16, the band will be back in Toronto, to
play the Air Canada Centre, then at SkyDome
two days later.

"We have a small recording studio there, a
large music room and our auditorium -- Hyland
Hall," Brent said.
07-19-02 07:51 AM
Mathijs McGee was Ronnie's guitar tech since 1971 and together with Alan Rogan the most famous of all guitar techs. McGee worked for The Who, Clapton, AC/DC and George Harrison. He was the one who introduced Zemaitis guitars to people like Wood, Ronnie Lane and Harrison.

Mathijs
07-19-02 07:56 AM
TT Is he also named "Chuch"? Thatīs a great loss for Ronnie!
07-19-02 08:11 AM
Stonesdoug yes it was Chuch
07-19-02 09:29 AM
sandrew What a shame - hope it's not a bad omen too.
07-19-02 09:29 AM
nankerphelge How old was he?
07-19-02 10:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot Uh-oh.

This is a bad omen.
07-19-02 10:18 AM
nankerphelge Ya like that!!!

Thanks to Voodoo for the technical help -- it took a while, but the other nite it just came to me -- what is the essence of nank?

He's a bad, bad boy!!

Plus, I gotta get in the right frame of mind for the tour!!
07-19-02 11:12 AM
mattb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Uh-oh.

This is a bad omen.

Can't help wondering if a song was being played when it happened and if so, what song it was.
07-19-02 12:04 PM
stonedinaustralia nanker, love the avatar (it really took me off guard & will most likely always do so... nice timing!)- arresting - disturbing - upsetting - captivating - engaging...the inner nank??... correct me if i'm wrong... but i think so...

may chuch r.i.p.... what a way to go... if i had my 'druthers it wouldn't be much different...

refer to j.nicholson's comments circa voodoo lounge (and i paraphrase)... i nearly had a heart attack and it was only one show... one show!

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
07-19-02 01:06 PM
nankerphelge I always liked that lil' devil and it is indeed the inner nank -- no question! Its a little blurry, but so am I!!

Think I'll throw a little Voodoo Lounge on tonite!
07-19-02 02:08 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
refer to j.nicholson's comments circa voodoo lounge (and i paraphrase)... i nearly had a heart attack and it was only one show... one show!

That was from the Stripped video, wasn't it?!
07-19-02 03:08 PM
Sir Stonesalot I think it was the MTV/VH1 Stripped TV Special.
07-19-02 03:24 PM
Maxlugar You are right Sir Stonesalot.

I love that special. Been trying to get that one tape.

Maxlugar
07-19-02 08:08 PM
Gazza I have that one,Maxy from when it was shown on BBC in December 1995

If you can get it converted to NTSC,I'll happily copy it for you (with filler of course!)
07-19-02 09:06 PM
luxury1 I will hear no more talk of a "bad Omen"--shit happens, unfortunate, and I'm sure everyone in the Stones camp is really sad, but, come on guys........
Nanky--I have your avatar as a pin on my "tour travel bag"--if we ever meet--it's yours!! What a coincidence.
I hope Ronnie is holding up alright.
07-19-02 10:45 PM
BILL PERKS GUYS,CHUCH WAS A HUGE PART OF THEIR FAMILY,ESPECIALLY WOODY.I HOPE HE CAN KEEP IT TOGETHER AND STAY SOBER.BUT SAYING FUCK IT WHY BOTHER?WOULD SEEM JUST AS APPROPRIATE.STU,CHUCH,JOE SEABROOK,ALL TAKEN BEFORE THEIR TIME WHILE THE IMMORTAL STONES LIVE ON,AMAZING.
07-19-02 10:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot No offense to any of you, but I sure as hell don't want to die at a Stones concert. I'd like to live a very LONG time past this September....
07-19-02 11:50 PM
stonedinaustralia that wasn't what i was alluding to specifically sir s...my comment was a more general observation on the fact that he was doing something that he (probably) loved and then the lights just went out...sure beats working your whole life in a job you can't stand and dying a slow painful death in some wreck on the highway or something
07-19-02 11:56 PM
Fiji Joe That's deep Stoned, deep.
07-19-02 11:59 PM
Fiji Joe Speaking of Stoned, that avatar always reminds me of "Memo from Turner"...might he be the black man eating eggs and Sammies?
07-20-02 12:01 AM
Maxlugar Hey, Hey, Hey!!!

At least it wasn't Mick Taylor's Roadie!!!

Buck up Stonesilicious Stonesy Stones Stonesilies!!

This only makes Mick Taylor's arrival more positive!!!

"Positive my Jamaican ass, Ronnie!, Seen?""!!

Ragul-Xam, FuckFace, Fucker!!!

Yeah? Well, blow me! (Disregard this Steelie)

Maxlugar, C8!
07-20-02 12:07 AM
stonedinaustralia feej,without wishing to sound like a pedantic prat (but here goes anyway)i always thought he was "eating eggs at sammies"... in fact the black man wasn't eating the eggs he was the one who drew the knife (to slice the eggs perhaps?)

hardly a life or death issue, i know, but that's the great thing about this board we can all indulge our various stones obessions (and the general lunacy that seems to spring from them - our obsessions that is)in like minded company without(or very little)fear of attracting derision and ridicule from the blinkered philistines who are known as "people who are not stones fanatics"... strange it may seem but such people do exist

07-20-02 02:53 AM
Stonesmillenium2001 i hope the stones continue!
07-20-02 03:52 AM
Prodigal Son If only I still lived in T.O., I'd be there just to watch the Stones get hustled in. Crescent school is maybe just 10 miles or so from where I used to live. Too bad about McGee. What's next? Will tragedy hit any other of the older legends' tours. Gosh, let's hope it ends with the Ox and Chuch McGee.
07-20-02 07:50 AM
John Wood I went by the Cresent School last night, hung around til about 6:30. I was in Toronto and wanted to see if they were still going to rehearse.
None of the Stones had shown up by then so I left.
Anyone know when reheasal will start again and if so where? I heard they will be going back to the Masonic Temple next week???
Lets hope they all get through this, as I think they were hit hard with this tragedy and are very upset!!!
07-20-02 12:36 PM
letitrock It is sorry and sad day for all those in and around our Stones. Chuch would have wanted them to go on and go on they will. It's was really a shock to me, all the more reason to make sure this tour is something extra special for all of us.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road