ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

The Giant Phallus, MSG June 22, 1975
By Bob Gruen
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When Was The Last Time...... Return to archive
07-15-02 05:57 PM
Honky Tonk Man Anyone here stuck on ENHM, 12X5, Out Of Our Heads, Decembers Children. You get the picture. We all seem to be more intrested in boots, Taylor era and the most exciting thing of all, THE NEW TOUR

Today i played "Hitch Hike" Yes the remastering of the cds doesnt sound great, but the Stones were a bloody good band back then too. We all know this of course. This era just never seems to get discussed much. Keith wasnt the Riffmasteror hailed as he is today. Maybe its because alot of us just arent so intrested in this period of music? 68 onwards seems to be where the intrest lays. im playing "The Rolling Stones Now" as i type this. Its not Exile but boy, isnt "Heart Of Stone" just amazing????

I think So

Alex
07-15-02 06:34 PM
T&A I listen to the early albums as often or more so than many of the later ones. Good music is good music - age doesn't matter. I probably listen to 50's Chess blues more often than the Stones....
07-15-02 06:50 PM
Nasty Habits HTM --

I play NOW all the time. I played OUT OF OUR HEADS today, and it knocked my socks off. Spent the bulk of the weekend obsessed with Between the Buttons (and yes, Had It with You, but it sounds like early Stones).

The first five Stones albums are THE blueprint for how all rock and roll bands should behave for now and forevermore. It drives me absolutely nuts that Jagger slags those records in interviews - those albums are the sound of the Rolling Stones - soulful, loud as hell, crazed amped up rock spirit pure power - those records are almost too good to talk about. I would guess that it's more difficult to discuss them because the bulk of the tunes are covers and for some reason cover songs are considered less "important" than originals. Go figure.

I love Cry to Me, esp. the end, when Jagger is yelling and Keith's backup vocal is shrieking, and that slide guitar is descending, and Charlie is pounding and you're wondering, "How in the world did they ever get this out of that over arranged Solomon Burke tune?" Absolute magnificence.

And yes, Heart of Stone is absolutely amazing - it's like Blowin' in the Wind or something in that it doesn't seem like anyone could of created it - it just crawled out of the ground somewhere fully formed and started chomping the heads off of peoples dogs. That growling guitar in between lines - SO GOOD!

What about Empty Heart? You dig that one? The unstoppable speed of the ENHM version of Carol? The drum break in the middle of Oh Baby We Got a Good Thing Goin'? And what about what a great early song "One More Try" is? Or what a cool blues "What a Shame Is", and how funny it is that Arthur Lee rips it off for "Can't Explain" on the first Love record. Or the slamming pure power of the Stones version of Ray Charles version of Hank Snow's "I'm Movin' On"? Esp. on 45 RPM that thing just pounds, and Brian sounds amazing.

The big five albums may be the supreme artistic acheivment for western culture in the 20th century (well, ok, that and Bob Dylan's career from 1965-1968), but the first five or six Stones records are the flat out coolest records anybody ever made.

Does anybody know whether they're going to be released in mono or stereo when they come out this fall?

Hasty Nabbits

07-16-02 05:23 PM
Honky Tonk Man Glad to read you agree Mr Nasty. For a long long time is was only intrested in the early Stones. Its the only Stones stuff my dad had and i bought all the early pre Beggars albums before i evan thought about buying Exile. I slowly warmed to the Taylor era and i now love it to death, but at the moment im in Ronnie mode. You just gotta love Ronnie, the way Keith has to cover his ass so often is what makes the guy with the crowes nest on his head so great.

Alex
07-16-02 07:45 PM
T&A From what I understand the "new" versions of the Abkco catalogue will feature a combination of mono/stereo - depending on the best masters they found in the vaults. Sounds like these truly are significant upgrades over what's been released.
07-16-02 11:08 PM
BILL PERKS CRY TO ME IS MY FAVORITE STONES SONG BEHIND JJF.I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM PLAY IT,BUT HAVE NO CONFIDENCE THEY COULD DO IT JUSTICE.
07-21-02 10:23 AM
Fuc*ing Andrew This weekend. I dusted off Out of Our Heads. What a fantastic album! Mick's vocals are incredible. I was inspired to burn a CD combining both the American and UK versions of the album as well as some live bootlegs from the era...It's a 21 cut gem in my opinion.

One thing strikes me as odd with this album though. Satisfaction seems like it doesn't belong. This was the original album containing this song. What a progressive song that was. In my opinion, that song, that band spawned the modern era of Rock n' Roll.
07-21-02 05:59 PM
Stonesthrow Andrew-- I don't know if it spawned the modern era of rock & roll, but it was the anthem of a disaffected generation including yours truly. The best song from the best group. Upon further consideration, maybe you are right.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road