ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Dave Hogan with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I saw Deep Purple last night! (NSC) Return to archive
25th July 2006 03:17 AM
FotiniD

Great band. Even after the ten thousand lineup changes and all the accusations of being in it for the money, touring for $$ and all that... They sounded as tight and 'angry' as any good band of 20-year olds and Gillan's voice hasn't been affected much by time. Loved their energy and positive feedback with the crowd and also the fact that Gillan liked to talk a lot between songs - that's the way to build a rapport with people, otherwise it sounds more like a live edition of a jukebox to me. Robert Plant is a talker as well, I wish Mick was more that way too :sad:

Steve Morse is a great guitarist - although sometimes the solo's were a little longer than they should, I admit. He does a great medley of amazing riffs in the middle of the show, including Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing, Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc.

And Glover, what can I say about the guy! Love him!

Personal highlights for me were "Hush" (they nailed it down like they had just recorded it yesterday for the very first time!) and "When a blind man cries". Their new material ain't bad either. Has this epic / oriental theme about it.

A great show, but still, didn't give me the Stones kind of excitement... Oh doctor, I guess I'm too hooked, ain't I?

P.S. The venue they played was in my neighborhood, the "Melina Merkouri" open-air theater. Well, "arena" as I heard someone describe it. It's an amphitheater with incredibly huge, sky-high rocks surrounding it, which gives it an amazing feeling... Very edgy, rock kind of place to play. I kept thinking how unbelievably great it'd be to catch the Stones here... Oh, dreams...
[Edited by FotiniD]
25th July 2006 04:52 AM
Monkeytonk-man Cool - I've seen them a couple of times over the last few months - Once at the Monsters of rock Festival in Milton Keynes, and then at the Sweden Rock Festival.

Have to agree that 'When a Blindman Cries' is an absolute cracker, so good to hear this lost classic live. Another highlight for me was 'Perfect Stangers' they really do that justice. and of course the rest of the classics.

Keep on rockin' buddy!!!
25th July 2006 06:07 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Monkeytonk-man wrote:

Have to agree that 'When a Blindman Cries' is an absolute cracker, so good to hear this lost classic live. Another highlight for me was 'Perfect Stangers' they really do that justice. and of course the rest of the classics.

Yeah, Perfect Strangers, how could I forget this one! They do pretty amazing live versions of the classics, indeed.

I wonder, do they still ever play "Child in time" live? It was the last gig of this leg of their tour and I thought we might have gotten a surprise, so I was hoping for this one. I guess it must be a strain, with all the wild vocals and all.
25th July 2006 08:39 AM
Monkeytonk-man I think you've pretty much had your chips with getting Child in time, it's an abolute classic, and I too would have loved to hear it over the recent tours, but they haven't played it for a good while, and the simple fact is that, although Gillan is still going strong, his voice is not what it used to be, and I can't see anyway he could match the performance from over 30 years ago.

Love to hear it, but realistically it's not gonna happen - bummer!! I think you're more likely to get David coverdable up there on stage for an oncore of 'Mistreated' not gonna hold my breath for that either!!!

25th July 2006 08:44 AM
Honky Tonk Man Does either of you two think that Ritchie Blackmore is ever likely to return?

I'm not a huge Deep Purple fan at all, but I do love the Made In Japan album. Highway Star is UNBELEIVABLE! : D
25th July 2006 05:02 PM
Gimme Shelter Saw them a couple of years ago and they put on a prety cool show.
25th July 2006 05:08 PM
nanatod
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Does either of you two think that Ritchie Blackmore is ever likely to return?

Not likely, and if so, only for some sort of one-off or benefit show.
25th July 2006 05:11 PM
FotiniD
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Not likely, and if so, only for some sort of one-off or benefit show.

Yeah, that's the way I see it too.
25th July 2006 05:39 PM
Dan I saw them at the Wiltern in 2004, it was a good show.
26th July 2006 04:24 AM
Monkeytonk-man Read a recent interview with Ian Gillan & Steve Morse regarding ritchie blackmore returning and from their comments it certainly didn't seem like it was likely to happen.

Lets not forget Gillan and Blackmore never got on very well, Purple are going through a bit of a purple patch (excuse the pun) at the moment, Steve Morse is widely regarded as one of the finest exponenets of rock guitar and regularly comes top in many guitar polls. and ritchie is happy as larry, mincing around the bottom of the garden with all the pixies and elves.

add that all up and you're not looking at a reunion any time soon!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)