ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Dave Hogan with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gimme Shelter Return to archive
24th July 2006 06:06 PM
mmdog
I think we can all agree Gimme Shelter is a classic. However I think we can also agree that it's pretty much a warhorse. Which is why I can't understand why so many people are moaning about it's exclusion from the Bigger Bang Tour. It was played regulary on every tour from Steel Wheels on, with the exception of Voodoo Lounge in North America. People complain about the warhorses all the time, but when one gets dropped, people complain. Which is it?
24th July 2006 06:13 PM
pdog People love to complain, it makes them feel empowered.
24th July 2006 06:15 PM
Saint Sway its definately a war horse. But for me its more about the feeling I get from hearing GS live. It just rocks. Really moves me.

unlike say, HTW or SMU, where I think: "are they still serving beer?"
24th July 2006 06:16 PM
pdog IORR brings out the complainer in me...
24th July 2006 06:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
mmdog wrote:

I think we can all agree Gimme Shelter is a classic. However I think we can also agree that it's pretty much a warhorse. Which is why I can't understand why so many people are moaning about it's exclusion from the Bigger Bang Tour. It was played regulary on every tour from Steel Wheels on, with the exception of Voodoo Lounge in North America. People complain about the warhorses all the time, but when one gets dropped, people complain. Which is it?

well its not always the same people doing both

Its my favourite Stones song of all time, but as far as I'm concerned, NO song 'has' to be played without fail. The more diversity the better. They have enough great songs to play about 12 shows without even repeating a single tune.
24th July 2006 06:25 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

well its not always the same people doing both

Its my favourite Stones song of all time, but as far as I'm concerned, NO song 'has' to be played without fail. The more diversity the better. They have enough great songs to play about 12 shows without even repeating a single tune.

agreed.
24th July 2006 09:39 PM
Soldatti
quote:
mmdog wrote:

I prefer a steady Gimme Shelter and not Night Time all the shows, at least they should play another cover for god's sake, they have loads of options.
24th July 2006 10:18 PM
the good
quote:
mmdog wrote:

All warhorses were not created equal. Gimme shelter is a great work of art, a classic among classics. Its one of the most emotionally charged songs ever written, and it taps into something deep inside everybody, which few songs ever do. People really connect on a human level with the song, so its a real shame when its not played live.
24th July 2006 10:22 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
the good wrote:

All warhorses were not created equal. Gimme shelter is a great work of art, a classic among classics. Its one of the most emotionally charged songs ever written, and it taps into something deep inside everybody, which few songs ever do. People really connect on a human level with the song, so its a real shame when its not played live.

That pretty much nails it.
24th July 2006 10:22 PM
glencar GS wasn't played too much early in the last tour but now it seems to be in every show. I'd love to see BS & IORR dropped once in a while.
24th July 2006 11:36 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
GS wasn't played too much early in the last tour but now it seems to be in every show. I'd love to see BS & IORR dropped once in a while.

SFTD needs a rest. Miss You too.
24th July 2006 11:40 PM
ebmp If they play Gimme Shelter the way they do now it's better to rest it

Play it like on the No Security CD and I´m happy
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)