ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones are going after that Rob Thomas market Return to archive
July 22nd, 2005 07:04 PM
Poison Dart As I said in another post. In 2005 it's middle of the road "rock" songs that get airplay in the United States.

As a matter of fact Rob Thomas went to number one here in the States with his middle of the road stuff.

I can't help but think that Mick being the smart/calculating guy he is, put Streets of Love out as the lead single in hopes of getting mainstream airplay for the Stones.

Clearly it's not the best song on the record. Oh,No Not You Again and Rough Justice are light years better.

But, with the Stones core audience getting older it does make sense (from a commercial point of view) to try and reach them at adult radio and VH-1 which woulld be more likely to pick up on a Stones ballad than a balls to the wall's rocker like Oh,No or Rough Justice.

I have no problem with this way of thinking. I just wish the song was better.

Upon listening to the song for a second and third time it's not that bad. But not what die hards wanted as a first single. Which is also why Rough Justice came out on the same day as an insurance policy.

Mick is gambling that middle of the road and pop stations will pick up on a ballad from the Stones and the Stones will find their HUGE core audience at those locations and pick up the album.
[Edited by Poison Dart]
[Edited by Poison Dart]
July 22nd, 2005 07:11 PM
pdog
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
As I said in another post. In 2005 it's middle of the road "rock" songs that get airplay in the United States.

As a matter of fact Rob Thomas went to number one here in the States with his middle of the road stuff.

I can't help but think that Mick being the smart/calculating guy he is, put Streets of Love out as the lead single in hopes of getting mainstream airplay for the Stones.

Clearly it's not the best song on the record. Oh,No Not You Again and Rough Justice are light years better.

But, with the Stones core audience getting older it does make sense (from a commercial point of view) to try and reach them at adult radio and VH-1 which woulld be more likely to pick up on a Stones ballad than a balls to the wall's rocker like Oh,No or Rough Justice.

I have no problem with this way of thinking. I just wish the song was better.

Upon listening to the song for a second and third time it's not that bad. But not what die hards wanted as a first single. Which is also why Rough Justice came out on the same day as an insurance policy.

Mick is gambling that middle of the road and pop stations will pick up on a ballad from the Stones and the Stones will find their HUGE core audience at those locations and pick up the album.
[Edited by Poison Dart]
[Edited by Poison Dart]

Rough Justice will take over, there's no stopping it. you can feel the momentum building. This thing will be as big as Start Me Up.
The ballad will get contemporary airplay. RJ will get rock radio play, and alot of it!
Fuck Rob Thomas... Yuck!
July 22nd, 2005 07:24 PM
Poison Dart I hear ya.

BUT, will the Stones be pushing Streets of Love?
July 22nd, 2005 07:27 PM
Soldatti What country is playing SOL and what other RJ?
Argentina is playing SOL once an hour in almost every radio.
July 22nd, 2005 08:42 PM
Some Guy
quote:
pdog wrote:

Rough Justice will take over, there's no stopping it. you can feel the momentum building. This thing will be as big as Start Me Up.
The ballad will get contemporary airplay. RJ will get rock radio play, and alot of it!
Fuck Rob Thomas... Yuck!

Thats a bold statement
July 22nd, 2005 10:21 PM
chevysales actually rob thomas didn't have the most flattering things to say about writing with mick in this months edition of blender magazine
July 22nd, 2005 10:58 PM
steel wls Pdog wrote: "RJ will be as big as Start Me Up"
In your dreams buddy!
July 23rd, 2005 12:48 AM
texile hey chevy - what did he say.......? just curious.
July 23rd, 2005 01:05 AM
pdog
quote:
texile wrote:
hey chevy - what did he say.......? just curious.

Shit... I've said alot.
From my personal perspective of the song and what I'm reading online. this song (Rough Justice) has a huge potential to be heard and liked alot, by many people. I'm not talking about money, sales or it being played at kick off time. I'm talknig about the the spiritual side of rock and roll. I think people are really going to dig it, despite the fact it The Stones. Alot of folks dismiss them b/c they're The Stones, this might win over them over and I think a new crop of Stones fans will be reached. I just feel that way. This has me more excited than I was in 1981, and I was 13 and off the hook over Tattoo You and the upcoming tour!
The excitement genrated by us die hards over hearing a crappy Mp3 version gives me goosebumps. Seems alot of stations are playing this song alot too! We'll see how many iTunes ect. get DL'd and what is really going on in the future. I said it already elsewhere. In twenty or so years I will remember this day with great fondness. I enjoyed it alot already and memories like good songs, get better over the years!

[Edited by pdog]
July 23rd, 2005 09:33 AM
corgi37 rj is the coke.
July 23rd, 2005 09:38 AM
chevysales
quote:
texile wrote:
hey chevy - what did he say.......? just curious.

i am at work now and will try to post it this weekend (free blues travelers concert tonight on the beach) but the bottom line was it was an answer to a question blender asked about him working with mick and willie nelson and comparisons.

with willie it was a lot looser and simply a more open environment and they partied a bit (not during the writing)... with mick (and his answer was clearly trying to not ruffle any feathers) it was more business like of an atmosphere and a bit uptight not at all what he is used to, rob thomas attributed to the difference in star staus between willie and mick amoung other things.

funny my daughter gets blender and i always grab it first to read on my day off...not a bad magazine some good interviews with lots of fan questions. and lots of stuff on new bands. this month has a good one with The Killers.

http://www.blender.com/in_print/
[Edited by chevysales]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)