ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tour a blast ; album a failure? Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 21st, 2005 04:10 PM
blackandblue Reading the various threads and posts the overall feeling is that there are a few fans on this board who really think the tour and the album are gonna be a succes. Is this the end of the Rolling Stones if even the diehards fans are beginning to moan? To be honest: my expectations are not too high either ...
July 21st, 2005 04:37 PM
jb
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
Reading the various threads and posts the overall feeling is that there are a few fans on this board who really think the tour and the album are gonna be a succes. Is this the end of the Rolling Stones if even the diehards fans are beginning to moan? To be honest: my expectations are not too high either ...

The tour and album are a bust.
July 21st, 2005 04:58 PM
gimmekeef How can an album thats not out yet be a bust?..and the tour hasnt started yet either?....
July 21st, 2005 04:59 PM
Moonisup ask me after I've heard the album and some boots
July 21st, 2005 05:02 PM
telecaster
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
How can an album thats not out yet be a bust?..and the tour hasnt started yet either?....

Can you imagine trying to start a business with jb?
July 21st, 2005 05:04 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:

YESSIR !!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 21st, 2005 05:08 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

The decision to perform at Stadiums is egregious , completely unconscionable and ranks on a par with LBJ's decision to go into the Vietnam ( circa 1965 ) and Bushie43's decision to go into Iraq ( circa 2003 ) .

Word .... to your Grandpappy's !!!!!!!!!

JACKY !

[ Edited by Ho Chi Minh ]
[Edited by Joey]
July 21st, 2005 05:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
Reading the various threads and posts the overall feeling is that there are a few fans on this board who really think the tour and the album are gonna be a succes. Is this the end of the Rolling Stones if even the diehards fans are beginning to moan? To be honest: my expectations are not too high either ...

I'm more optimistic about the merits of the album than I am about the tour

The tour will be a commercial success. At those prices and with all that corporate backing, how couldnt it be? Artistically however, it already seems like an opportunity missed and appears organised in a very haphazard and half arsed manner. I'm not overly excited about it in the slightest if I have to be perfectly honest. Maybe that will change but so far everything about it smacks of pure cash-in.

The reports about the new record on the other hand appear reasonably encouraging although I'll defer excitement until I hear the bloody thing. Of course, sales wont be as high as they should be on the back of a world tour, but they'll be relatively healthy.

The fact that "even" die hard fans arent happy isnt new, although I've noticed it more this year than before. However, that wont really matter as the bulk of the Stones' audience isnt "diehard" fans but people who go to one show and expect a greatest hits style night of nostalgia and nothing else thats too challenging. There are enough of those people to keep the Stones in work for a few years yet and that is definitely their target audience

[Edited by Gazza]
July 21st, 2005 06:27 PM
Saint Sway I'm confused....

so the album is the big bang and the tour is the big bust?

but wait a second.... did I miss something? Tour starts on Aug 23rd and the album comes out Sept 6. Right?

and today is July 21st.

I think...
July 21st, 2005 06:42 PM
rogerriffin
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I'm more optimistic about the merits of the album than I am about the tour

The tour will be a commercial success. At those prices and with all that corporate backing, how couldnt it be? Artistically however, it already seems like an opportunity missed and appears organised in a very haphazard and half arsed manner. I'm not overly excited about it in the slightest if I have to be perfectly honest. Maybe that will change but so far everything about it smacks of pure cash-in.

The reports about the new record on the other hand appear reasonably encouraging although I'll defer excitement until I hear the bloody thing. Of course, sales wont be as high as they should be on the back of a world tour, but they'll be relatively healthy.

The fact that "even" die hard fans arent happy isnt new, although I've noticed it more this year than before. However, that wont really matter as the bulk of the Stones' audience isnt "diehard" fans but people who go to one show and expect a greatest hits style night of nostalgia and nothing else thats too challenging. There are enough of those people to keep the Stones in work for a few years yet and that is definitely their target audience

[Edited by Gazza]

Gazza for president!
July 21st, 2005 07:39 PM
maumau
quote:
jb wrote:

Why?
July 21st, 2005 09:06 PM
pdog
quote:
telecaster wrote:

I can't believe we're a fan of the same band with him!!!
July 21st, 2005 09:15 PM
stonedinaustralia agree with gazza's post

and say (subject to hearing it of course) that i'm hoping the new album will be the goods.Of course i've always had that hope with all their releases but this time i feel genuinely confident those hopes will be realised

the approach to the recording is the main reason for the rise in my expectations . Done , it seems, quickly with just the core of Keith,Mick and Charlie I certainly expect the guitars to have prominenece in the mix and given that it has been done quickly the sound won't be such that all the "guts" of it has been processed and equalized out of existence (Oh for a 21st century Some Girls!!)

that leaves the quality of the songs themselves as the unknown variable at this stage - so the question for me is: do they still have anything NEW and/or interesting to say either lyrically or musically

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
July 21st, 2005 09:18 PM
stonedinaustralia and re the tour - you'd hope the lists would include a whole bunch of the new material - but i don't hold out great hopes on that front
July 21st, 2005 09:58 PM
Soldatti They will play new songs on this tour, but 4 new numbers is too much for 19-20 songs play lists.
July 21st, 2005 10:42 PM
T&A i'm of just the opposite opinion - despite all the hype (heard it everytime) I have little hope that the new album will be anything we'll care much about in a couple of years. But, the tour (as always) excites me greatly....
July 22nd, 2005 02:00 AM
JumpingKentFlash If the album stinks, it stinks. If it's good, it's good. Same goes for the tour. Why the fuck should I care if they do a tour just for the money??? As long as the shows are good I wouldn't give a rat's ass. Of course they always make gazilions when on tour. And they plan the tour so it will make maximum revenue. But who the fuck cares??? We like it, the average fan (Gazza points them out well: The hit-paraders) likes it. The Stones even like it. So tell me: What has been changed so much since the seventies??? Nothing really, it's just bigger now.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Streets Of Love sounding like a mix of Almost Hear You Sigh and Keys To You Love??? If there's one song on the new album that has Mick doing falsetto, I'll cut my my balls off. Why don't they release a cool medium tempo rocker for crying out loud. Streets Of Love will only be a hit if it's the next All You Need Is Love. And it won't be. That's for sure. Who wants Mick to sing about love when he could be singing about getting the blues???
July 22nd, 2005 02:04 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
If there's one song on the new album that has Mick doing falsetto, I'll cut my my balls off.

OUCH - JKF - is that so it is all the better for you to sing along with it

July 22nd, 2005 02:07 AM
JumpingKentFlash Kindda - The reason I'd cut my nut is two-fold:

1.- I can sing along at the concerts.
2.- I HATE Mick's falsetto (most of the time).

[Edited by JumpingKentFlash]
July 22nd, 2005 04:00 AM
Poplar
quote:
maumau wrote:

Why?

ain't no why to ANYTHING that punk has ever said.
July 22nd, 2005 04:12 AM
Moonisup I just hope it's better then that corny 40 licks stuff,
July 22nd, 2005 04:28 AM
corgi37 If Mick does a rap, i'll cut your balls off too.
July 22nd, 2005 09:18 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
If Mick does a rap, i'll cut your balls off too.

Great Posting Corgi !!!!
July 22nd, 2005 09:41 AM
stonedinaustralia hi Joey

do you have any pictures of zebras wearing underpants??
July 22nd, 2005 09:46 AM
FPM C10 I think the various reactions are due to the fact that (up until right now) we had very little positive info to go on, and lots of negative stuff. We had one decent new song played once at the PC, and the fact that just the 4 of them played it...all very cool. But we also had obscene ticket prices, were promised stuff ($50 theater shows for instance) that didn't pan out, mostly horrid choices for opening acts, and a "fan club" that makes Ticketmaster look like a charity organization.

I haven't heard the new songs on the radio yet, but it sounds like there's more much-needed stuff in the plus column now. If the album rocks, and they kick ass when the tour starts, the complaining will fade into the background.

All except JB's, because that's a big part of his schtick.
July 22nd, 2005 09:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
If Mick does a rap, i'll cut your balls off too.

I think a Mick rap would be cool...IF it were a duet with Eminem.
July 22nd, 2005 10:01 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

I think a Mick rap would be cool...IF it were a duet with Eminem.

For my honest reaction to this suggestion please refer to your avatar.
July 22nd, 2005 10:08 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
For my honest reaction to this suggestion please refer to your avatar.

I'm sorry, I'm really honestly sorry.
July 22nd, 2005 10:12 AM
egon dont worry,

its all gonna be kick ass.

the voices in my head told me so.

July 22nd, 2005 10:19 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm really honestly sorry.

You are forgiven!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)