ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Dolls Album On The Way Return to archive
July 17th, 2005 03:41 PM
FPM C10

New York Dolls recording new album
Johansen, Sylvain surviving members of original quartet

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- After reuniting last year for the first time in decades, seminal underground rock act the New York Dolls is at work on its first new studio album since 1974's "Too Much Too Soon."

The group, down to surviving original members David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain, expects to release the album next spring via Roadrunner Records.

Johansen and Sylvain will be backed on the set by guitarist Steve Conte, bassist Sami Yaffa, drummer Brian Delaney and keyboardist Brian Koonin. That same lineup is on the road this summer for a handful of dates, beginning Saturday at the Cisco Systems Bluesfest in Ottawa, Ontario.

"Since word has spread of the band getting back into the studio to record new material, I've been inundated with calls from various high-profile producers and artists wanting to get involved," Roadrunner A&R executive David Bason told Billboard.com. "I can't reveal any names yet but it's nice to have such a vote of confidence from the artistic community out of the gate."

"The sound of this record will be true to form New York Dolls -- down and dirty rock 'n' roll," he added. "I've heard sketches of the material and if it's any indication, the record will blow you away."

The Dolls regrouped in 2004 at the urging of Morrissey, who was the president of the group's fan club during its heyday. An early comeback show yielded the CD/DVD "The Return of the New York Dolls: Live From Royal Festival Hall 2004," which Morrissey released on his Attack imprint via Sanctuary. Original bassist Arthur "Killer" Kane died suddenly of leukemia shortly thereafter. He was preceded in death by guitarist Johnny Thunders, and drummer Jerry Nolan.

Kane is the subject of the new film "New York Doll," which chronicles the ups-and-downs of his post-Dolls life. The movie is scheduled to hit theaters in October.

July 17th, 2005 09:59 PM
Blind Dog McGhee Why? Tour all you want but why record? And what the hell kinda blues fest is this, Cisco Systems Bluesfest in Ottawa, Ontario? Maybe Hubert Sumlin will be playing wit dem.
July 17th, 2005 10:57 PM
Soldatti Another cash-in reunion.
July 18th, 2005 09:27 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Blind Dog McGhee wrote:
Why? Tour all you want but why record? And what the hell kinda blues fest is this, Cisco Systems Bluesfest in Ottawa, Ontario? Maybe Hubert Sumlin will be playing wit dem.

Alrthough there is a Scandinavian Blues Festival where Johansen will be appearing with the Dolls one day and Howlin' For Hubert the next, that wasn't the case with Cisco Systems "Bluesfest". I don't know WHY they call it a "bluesfest" - here is a list of the headliners:

July 7: War, July 8: Black Eyed Peas, July 9: Alison Krauss and Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas, July 10: K-Os, July 11: Simple Plan, July 12: ZZ Top, July 13: Michael Franti and Spearhead, July 14: India.Arie, July 15: Kid Rock, July 16: New York Dolls, July 17: John Prine.

Some good, some bad, none of them strictly blues.

I guess maybe they're recording because they wrote some new songs. The one I heard when I saw them - "We're All In Love" - was cool as hell. I have no problem with a new album, but that's just me.

By the way, they're at DC's fabulous 9:30 Club on Wed. Aug 10. That one will be worth catching.
July 18th, 2005 05:33 PM
Saint Sway no Izzy??

darn!
July 18th, 2005 08:21 PM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Alrthough there is a Scandinavian Blues Festival where Johansen will be appearing with the Dolls one day and Howlin' For Hubert the next, that wasn't the case with Cisco Systems "Bluesfest". I don't know WHY they call it a "bluesfest" - here is a list of the headliners:

July 7: War, July 8: Black Eyed Peas, July 9: Alison Krauss and Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas, July 10: K-Os, July 11: Simple Plan, July 12: ZZ Top, July 13: Michael Franti and Spearhead, July 14: India.Arie, July 15: Kid Rock, July 16: New York Dolls, July 17: John Prine.

Some good, some bad, none of them strictly blues.

I guess maybe they're recording because they wrote some new songs. The one I heard when I saw them - "We're All In Love" - was cool as hell. I have no problem with a new album, but that's just me.

By the way, they're at DC's fabulous 9:30 Club on Wed. Aug 10. That one will be worth catching.

thanks mang
July 18th, 2005 09:18 PM
Nasty Habits Hopefully they'll get a better bass player this time around.
July 19th, 2005 04:22 AM
Doxa
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Hopefully they'll get a better bass player this time around.

Not sure about that. Sami Yaffa is the original bass player of Hanoi Rocks (that was a sort of Rolling Stones/New York Dolls copy of the 80's, and many times cited one of the main influences of Guns'n'Roses, at least here in Finland).

Hanoi Rocks, by the way, is also touring and making albums (another "cash-in reunion"?), original members being only singer Michael Monroe and guitarist Andy McCoy (who happens to be the world biggest Keith Richards-wanna-be. Nicky Hopkins once said of Andy that he has never met anyone being so much like Keith.)

- Doxa
[Edited by Doxa]
[Edited by Doxa]
July 19th, 2005 01:36 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Doxa wrote:

Not sure about that.

Nasty is probably just ragging on me for not bowing at the altar of Bill "Hey li'l girl wanna buy a hamburger?" Wyman...

or casting aspersions on the admittedly limited talents of Arthur "Killer" Kane.

Sam did a good job with the Dolls when I saw them. I mean, how hard can it be to play bass for the Dolls? It ain't Shostakovitch.

July 20th, 2005 04:40 PM
mac_daddy they will be playing @ the sunset junction fair this year - i will be there for sure!!!

link
July 20th, 2005 04:45 PM
FPM C10
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
they will be playing @ the sunset junction fair this year - i will be there for sure!!!

link

Yeah, I heard that. Good on ya! Give us the details after you see them!

They're also playing a Voodoo Festival in N'Awlins - anybody here from the Big Easy?
July 20th, 2005 11:14 PM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
Doxa wrote:

Not sure about that. Sami Yaffa is the original bass player of Hanoi Rocks (that was a sort of Rolling Stones/New York Dolls copy of the 80's, and many times cited one of the main influences of Guns'n'Roses, at least here in Finland).

Hanoi Rocks, by the way, is also touring and making albums (another "cash-in reunion"?), original members being only singer Michael Monroe and guitarist Andy McCoy (who happens to be the world biggest Keith Richards-wanna-be. Nicky Hopkins once said of Andy that he has never met anyone being so much like Keith.)

Was wondering what Michael Monrew was up to. Saw him back in jeez, '89 and a drunk Slash showed up for the encore.
July 21st, 2005 12:42 AM
Barney Fife Well, if a Dolls reunion will get David to quit thinking he can be a bluesman with Hubert Sumlin, then that's a good thing!
July 21st, 2005 09:43 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Well, if a Dolls reunion will get David to quit thinking he can be a bluesman with Hubert Sumlin, then that's a good thing!

I respectfully think you're full of shit!

(hee hee...just kidding)

Have you SEEN Howlin' For Hubert, or heard either of the Harry Smiths albums? I did not particularly like David & Hubert's performances in either that recent blues movie "Lightning In A Bottle" or in the extras of the Scorsese blues DVD set; it seems like their magic doesn't transfer well to film. I can asure you that LIVE they kicked my ass both times I saw them, ESPECIALLY David.

Although I like "Walkin' Through The Park" on "About Them Shoes", the really good blues stuff (IMO) is found on the two Harry Smiths albums.

But I agree with ONE facet of your statement - singing with the Dolls is what David Jo was born to do. Everything else is a sideline.
July 21st, 2005 10:00 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
either of the Harry Smiths albums?

you mean there is more than one..?

did they both come out on chesky sacd..? the one i have is wonderful...
July 21st, 2005 10:53 AM
FPM C10
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

you mean there is more than one..?

did they both come out on chesky sacd..? the one i have is wonderful...

Yes, the second one is also on Chesky. Not sure if the released it on SACD. Same band, recorded in the same church a year or so later. It's called "Shaker", and if you like the first one you'll definitely like the second one.

David Johansen and the Harry Smiths - Shaker

David Johansen and the Harry Smiths' Shaker is more than just a tribute to great blues legends and the infamous anthologist of folk music. This work effectively brings together a profound understanding of the folk/blues genre, Johansen's own gritty style, and a band of seasoned musicians to bring an enticingly accessible creation with traces of rock and jazz sprinkled throughout. Building on the folk accuracy of their first album, Shaker elevates this artistic concept to a new level, casting another set of classic tunes that glow with a coat of that unique Johansen character.
While David Johansen and the Harry Smiths' first album focused on the Harry Smith anthology material, Shaker sees an evolution that maintains a similar feel but brings in some classic songs from blues greats like Son House, Muddy Waters and a wonderful rendition of Charlie Patton's "High Sheriff." Respect for the musical style is obvious with Johansen's pinpoint delivery and phrasing leaving the listener aching for more after the last refrain.

July 21st, 2005 01:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dang, Doll @ 9:30 Aug 10th? I don't think I can swing that.

But I am going to see the Brian Jonestown Massacre on Aug 3rd.

And again on Sept 19th.

In between, I'm headed to NYC to catch some band you guys may have heard of...they are playing at MSG on Sept 12th....they are called the...uhhhhh...errrrrr....Rolling Stones, or something like that.

I hear they are pretty good. Anyone ever hear them, or see them play live. What songs should I pay particular attention to? Do they do a lavish stage show? Do they have a big horn section? I heard that Brian Jonestown used to play for them before he did that mass suicide thing...is that true?
July 21st, 2005 03:30 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Dang, Doll @ 9:30 Aug 10th? I don't think I can swing that.
that true?

True dat!

How about Aug 12 - Starland Ballroom - Sayreville, NJ? Tix are $20!

quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
But I am going to see the Brian Jonestown Massacre on Aug 3rd.

And again on Sept 19th.

I've been told by a number of usually reliable sources that I MUST see "Dig!". I will in all liklihood not be going to see BJM as both shows are mid-week, although it sounds like if I see the movie I'm going to really want to.

Sorry I missed you last weekend - I saved your message on my machine, though - it's brilliant! We were wishing Jen bon voyage before she went to the big house, and didn't get home until 10.

Also sorry I missed you last night. Man I hate viewings.

quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
In between, I'm headed to NYC to catch some band you guys may have heard of...they are playing at MSG on Sept 12th....they are called the...uhhhhh...errrrrr....Rolling Stones, or something like that.

Cool! Did you find those $20 tickets you were holding out for?

I'm figuring on catching the January show.

quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I hear they are pretty good. Do they have a big horn section?

Yes. TOO big, in fact.
July 22nd, 2005 12:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'd be up for either the 10th or 12th...the problem is that I work daylight those days...that means having to get 2 days off. I just don't see that happening. That gig in Sayerville sounds like a hecka good show. If you are serious about going, I'll look into it.

You will see Dig!, I promise. Maybe even this weekend.

I'll call.
July 22nd, 2005 12:51 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I'll call.

I'll Wait !

.....ss
July 22nd, 2005 12:58 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I'd be up for either the 10th or 12th...the problem is that I work daylight those days...that means having to get 2 days off. I just don't see that happening. That gig in Sayerville sounds like a hecka good show. If you are serious about going, I'll look into it.

I'll call.

Yes, please do. Gregg and Brownie both said I HAVE to see it. I've got rehearsal Sunday but am free otherwise.

I really doubt I'll go to Sayreville. I just got a promotion and start in a new office on 8/1 and don't want to be taking time off so soon.

Tim and Eric (from the Danny Boy Brown All-Stars) both said they might go, as did Torn & Frayed.

I don't know...man I'd love to see the Dolls again...
July 22nd, 2005 01:03 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I'd be up for either the 10th or 12th...the problem is that I work daylight those days...that means having to get 2 days off. I just don't see that happening. That gig in Sayerville sounds like a hecka good show. If you are serious about going, I'll look into it.

I'll call.

I haven't seen Dig yet, but about 20 people have told me it's great. you don't even need to know shit about the bands, it's just that good. BJM is a must see too! They played here last friday and the show was very good, or so my sources tell me.
Do they make a pill for grown ups to be able to attend concerts and still keep up with their busy lifes?
July 22nd, 2005 01:14 PM
mac_daddy bjm is playing here in a week or so...

if i go, i will be sure to run tape...

anton is a trip for sure - i have some funny stories about him from here in town...

the dandys i could do without - they have a good sound, and their first album was ok, but it seems like they just rehash that same sh*t over and over on each new release, and i find it to be a bit tired...

but you are correct - you dont need to know or care about either band to enjoy the film...

July 22nd, 2005 03:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'll go one step further...I think it is better if you don't know about the bands.

I like the first 2 Dandy's albums, but I thought Monkeyhouse was crap.

My fave Dandy Warhols lyric:

"And I like you/I like you/I like you/I like you/I like you/I like you/Yeah I like you/I like you/uh huh/uh huh/WOOOOOOOO!"

I certainly prefer the BJM to the Dandy's any day.
July 22nd, 2005 04:31 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I'll go one step further...I think it is better if you don't know about the bands.

I like the first 2 Dandy's albums, but I thought Monkeyhouse was crap.

July 22nd, 2005 04:34 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I'll go one step further...I think it is better if you don't know about the bands.

i can see that - i didnt have that option...

quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

me2
July 22nd, 2005 06:22 PM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

I respectfully think you're full of shit!

(hee hee...just kidding)

Have you SEEN Howlin' For Hubert, or heard either of the Harry Smiths albums? I did not particularly like David & Hubert's performances in either that recent blues movie "Lightning In A Bottle" or in the extras of the Scorsese blues DVD set; it seems like their magic doesn't transfer well to film. I can asure you that LIVE they kicked my ass both times I saw them, ESPECIALLY David.

Although I like "Walkin' Through The Park" on "About Them Shoes", the really good blues stuff (IMO) is found on the two Harry Smiths albums.

But I agree with ONE facet of your statement - singing with the Dolls is what David Jo was born to do. Everything else is a sideline.

Yeah Barney and I saw DavidJo and Hubert but bailed due to the rain. David looked ridiculous on stage but listening to the FM broadcast from public radio (and recently seeded on Dime) I have to say I was impressed w/David. Barney, I'll see if I've still got it on the puter and send you a copy w/the shit I've got to send ya.
July 23rd, 2005 01:26 PM
Lord Homosex That is a trip. The two least dollsy Dolls; the only two survivors. ASnd now they're going to put out an album under the name NYDolls? Sorry w/o Thunders, Nolan and KillerKane it can never be anything Dolls.
July 23rd, 2005 06:53 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:
That is a trip. The two least dollsy Dolls; the only two survivors. ASnd now they're going to put out an album under the name NYDolls? Sorry w/o Thunders, Nolan and KillerKane it can never be anything Dolls.

Uh...David Jo the least "dollsy" of the Dolls? Um...OK, if you say so. I would think Arthur Kane might have earned that title by joining the Mormon church!

Seems to me the two Dolls who were more interested in playing music (vs getting totally fucked up) are the ones who are still alive and the guys (Johnny & Jerry) who put drugs first ended up the way one would expect. Arthur...well, God bless him, Arthur's story is one of a kind. Can't wait to see the movie.

With all the cries of "sell out", I can't figure out exactly where the filthy lucre's coming from. The latter day Dolls play tiny places with no hoopla and the tickets are generally $20-$30. Nobody's getting stinking rich off this "cash-in" except people who love the Dolls' music. These guys are just earning a living the best way they know how. Good for them, I say, and good for me.

It all works out. The purists can skip the incredible shows and not buy the album, and jerks like me can continue to labor under the delusion that the Dolls rock - then AND now.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)