ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

On flight between Bloomington and Detroit, July 26, 1975
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Spinal Tap Return to archive
07-18-03 11:38 PM
Soul Survivor Great movie. You all have to agree. Come on, you cant deny it
07-19-03 09:59 PM
J.J.Flash Soulie my brother, could you talk more about this movie? I don't know nothing about it. I would apreciate it!

Later!
Jack Flash from Brazil!
07-19-03 10:13 PM
Soul Survivor Here's why its great....

It's a documentery of a legendary english rock band known as 'Spinal Tap'....but heres the catch.....its a fake band. The band was made up just for the movie. And the documentary is following them on their "1982 American Tour". Hard to explain. Try watching it, you wont regret it
07-19-03 11:11 PM
Highwire Rob Yes! My favorite, I just hope the Toronto concert isn't gearing up for a Spinal Tap moment!

See Lazybones post:
http://www.novogate.com/board/968/159282-1.html

I mean, Cohl better not have marked down 30" instead of 30' for that giant inflatable phallus.

And I hoped to God the Stones don't get bumped to second billing under Justin Timberlake's Michael Jackson sock puppet act!
07-19-03 11:22 PM
Soul Survivor HaHaHA

I love that scene....Stonehenge
07-19-03 11:39 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
Here's why its great....

It's a documentery of a legendary english rock band known as 'Spinal Tap'....but heres the catch.....its a fake band. The band was made up just for the movie. And the documentary is following them on their "1982 American Tour". Hard to explain. Try watching it, you wont regret it

So, almost like that movie "Rockstar" I think, which there's a fake band (Steel Dragons) but with the same story as the Judas Priest, you know, when Rob Halford left the band and a fan won the test to be the lead singer. Am I wrong?

Hey, thanks for the hint Soulie my brother!
07-19-03 11:47 PM
Soul Survivor The plot is this....

Spinal Tap started in 1967 during the flower power era, and in time became one of Englands loudest rock bands. In 1982, their poularity starts declining, but they tour the states for the first time in 6 years.

The band can be compared to the one in rockstar.....not really soundwise (well kind of) but the idea. That the band was just made for the movie

But the movie is a comedy, and made to look like a documentary more than a movie.

http://www.spinaltap.com/dvd.html

^click that for some clips from the movie. Check it out, youll be cracking up. I suggest clicking on the scene "Eleven"....its pretty funny. Please try to see this movie
07-20-03 12:03 AM
mac_daddy the movie is a satire of the tallest order, and it is brilliantly done - it is a mock documentary that brilliantly pokes fun at rock n roll, with exaggerations like the STD bit, the volume to 11, the derrik smalls airport incident, not to mention the songs ("the bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin), the act and the chariactures...

essential viewing.
07-20-03 11:37 AM
Prodigal Son Ah correction Soul man. The group Spinal Tap started under various different names until they settled into the name the Thamesmen with their 1965 debut hit during the British Invasion, "Gimme Some Money." They went psychedelic and explored forms of art rock until becoming a heavy metal band in the 70s through to the 80s. It's truly a classic. THe hilarious part is that it's an actual band; they all play their instruments, sing and write the songs. It went as far as the band actually playing concerts, doing reunion gigs (1992 and 2000) as well as more pretending that Spinal Tap actually exists. The three guys in it (well, their keyboardist doesn't count and their drummers always die) also did the folk trio in A Mighty Wind. It was spinal tap gone folk.
07-20-03 11:58 AM
mac_daddy christopher guest also wrote "best in show" and "waiting for guffman" (along with mighty wind)...

harry shearer did "teddy bear's picnic" about the Bohemian Retreat in northern CA. He also voices many of the characters on the Simpsons...
07-20-03 07:28 PM
Prodigal Son Harry Shearer is probably the most prominent of them all, being an SNL cast member two different times (all three guys in Spinal tap were at one time or another, but Guest and Shearer were together from 1983-85). Christopher Guest is so damn funny. Harry Shearer is great on the Simpsons. The man remembered well for Derek Smalls; remember that when you watch the Simpsons: He plays Mr. Burns; Waylon Smithers; Ned Flanders; Principal Skinner; Otto; Reverend Lovejoy; Dr. Hibbert; Kent Brockman; Jasper; Lenny; Eddie; Ranier Wolfcastle; Scratchy; Judge Snyder and others. Also, he did old, forgotten characters like Kang the Alien, Dr. Marvin Monroe, Jebediah Springfield and Mr. Largo.
07-20-03 09:41 PM
Highwire Rob Prodigal, I wasn't aware Guest did all those characters--that's bloody amazing! A very talented guy indeed but I envy him most for...

...and she's still hot today...
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
07-20-03 09:56 PM
Soul Survivor Rob, Shearer actually does all those voices....not Guest
07-20-03 10:25 PM
stonedinaustralia some favourite lines - two from nigel

"there is none - None more black"

on the cover of "Smell the Glove" - "that's not sexist...that's sexy"

and the manager Ian's coment about David's girlfriend being dresssed "like an Australian's nightmare"

also the comment by David at their first gig sans Nigel -"Welcome to our new direction" and the intro of Derek during "Jazz Odyssey" - "Ladies and Gentlemen - Derek Smalls - he wrote this!!"
07-20-03 10:31 PM
Soul Survivor lol, i like the part where their at the party in the beginning and the manager talks to one of the heads of the record companys and it goes like this....Bobbi Fleckman is the girl Ian is talking to...

Ian: I wanted to talk to you about something, it seems the company is rather down on the cover....is that the case? I mean you can give it to me straight

Bobbi: Yeah....they dont like the cover. They find it very sexist

Ian: That's certainly straight. But how do they find it sexist

Bobbi: Ian, you put a greased naked women with a dog collar and a leash, and a mans arm extended pushing a glove into her face to sniff (Smell The Glove)

Ian: Well you should have seen the cover they WANTED to have......it wasnt a glove, I can tell you that

^Cracks me up
07-21-03 09:22 AM
telecaster I told them once I told them a hundred times:

Spinal Tap then the puppet show
07-21-03 09:25 AM
steel driving hammer I never liked that movie.
07-21-03 11:31 AM
KeepRigid The genius of Derek Smalls.

En route to the stage:

Janitor: "...there will be a little jog..."
Derek: "We don't have time for that..."

On his star-making role in Marco Zamboni's Roma 79:

Derek: "Oh, the film is about the guy that comes in and shoots me."

On ????? (he never finishes)

Derek: "There are solutions to every problem..."

On the band's progression:

Derek: "If you look at some of the early stuff we did, it was just rubbish. But- with something like Sex Farm- we're taking a sophisticated view of sex..."
Marti: "...And putting it on a farm."
Derek: "Exactly."

To remedy Stonehenge's on-stage impact:

Derek: "...we could change the choreography."
David: "What do you mean?"
Derek: "So that the dwarves don't trod upon it."

On a Nigel-less setlist:

Derek: "Well that's a cozy ten minutes."

Boarding a plane:

Security: "Do you have any artificial limbs?"
Derek: "Not really, no."

On a case that's best left 'unsolved':

Derek: "Well they can't prove whose vomit it was."
07-21-03 11:39 AM
jb I have seen a few clips and quite frankly, I can't sit through it....it's heavy metal take-off and I was never into heavy metal.