ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

On flight between Bloomington and Detroit, July 26, 1975
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Taylor at the 100 Club,London on 28th August! Return to archive
07-15-03 06:45 PM
Gazza Thanks to Hand of Fate for posting this info on the London Rocks Off get together thread http://www.novogate.com/board/968/156653-3.html?PHPSESSID=3d85c363643ffa0436141df1a19d2234

but for anyone who may have missed it,I'm posting it here in a fresh thread

Mick Taylor and his band will be playing at the legendary 100 Club in Oxford Street,London on Thursday 28th August - ie, the day between the Stones' Astoria and Wembley concerts.

The 100 Club is one of the most famous clubs in London, scene of many early Sex Pistols shows plus the location for two Stones' concerts in 1982 and 1986.

Tickets are available NOW on www.wayahead.com

Prices are £15.00 plus the booking fee.

This club is pretty small and obviously with thousands of Stones fans descending on the capital that week,it'll sell fast

Great timing for the Stones' "sleepy London town " week.

Astoria or Wembley...dare we say the hallowed two words... "guest appearance" ???
07-15-03 07:46 PM
littleredrooster YEAH!!! GAZZA!!!

Just bought my pair!
What is the CAPACITY of the club??

GREAT POST!!

ROOSTER
07-15-03 08:02 PM
Gazza I dunno...but when the Stones played there in 1982 it was something like about 350 I believe. whatever it is, its very small..Id say no more than 500
07-15-03 08:18 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I mean, yeah, go Taylor and all, but keep him off that fucking Astoria stage!

Well... naw, I guess just guestin' will be all right.

And who knows? The threat of Taylor sitting there in all three hundred pounds of old glory next to Ronnie might just push the guy into overdrive.

But my first instinct's still the strongest - He ain't no Stone no more!

-tSYX --- I said I can't explain, I'm feelin' good now yeah but I can't explain...
07-15-03 10:18 PM
mac_daddy do any of you guys tape?
07-16-03 12:03 AM
littleredrooster Mick Taylor is a GREAT guitarist and a gentleman in person!

You Jackasses who make light of his weight as he has aged are truly JACKASSES!

You are also probably going to be on the OUTSIDE looking IN at Astoria in August! and most likely the closest you'll be to Europe is Lake Michigan!

That's when Mick Taylor's little FAT fingers will do justice to CYHMK, MR and Love in Vain and Heartbreaker in a way that you'll NEVER forget!

I'll tell you how it sounded when I glide out of Astoria after the show!
Hey XYZZY when will you arrive in LONDON???
Get Off My Cloud!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Roostah has CROWED!!!!!!!!!!!!
07-16-03 05:45 AM
Moonisup SSC and I will be there, he just ordered the tickets,

and well, maybe we see him on wednesday, hehee, I hope their will be quest........
[Edited by Moonisup]
07-16-03 07:29 AM
stonedinaustralia as expected it's going to be a wild (and i expect a somewhat nostalgic)time in "sleepy" london that week

Roostah - look forward to your review of the whole shebang
07-16-03 07:44 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Naw, Im'a not makin' fun of his weight or age. Fact that he's massive & old doesn't make any difference - he is still quite the guitar player. Merely commenting that seeing him on stage and *knowing* that he's next in line might give Ronnie a kick in the pants.

And, Roostah, believe me, I tried. I still am trying. But I don't think it'll work.

With that scheduled the way it is, I think it's pretty damn *positive* that he'll guest on one or two numbers at the Astoria. Probably *not* "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", though who knows? I think they'll let him do "Rock Me Baby" with them and maybe one other number that he originally played on, like "Heartbreaker" or "Love In Vain" or perhaps eeeeeeeven "Sway".

Despite all this... I still have that kinda gut feeling of "no way, not him!", even with all the rationalizing going on behind it. Dunno why. Probably just 'cuz I'm an ademant Ronnie-ite (there really isn't a word for it like "Taylorite", is there?), I guess, although apparently he and the rest of the crew had a pretty damn good show in Copenhagen. I don't seriously think his job's in danger unless he kicks the bucket, 'cuz the Stones *will* go on without him.

-tSYX --- Did you ever wake up to find...
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
07-16-03 07:49 AM
beer Mick Taylor is one of the best things that ever happened to to the Stones. They were lucky to have him as a Stone while they did.
07-16-03 12:30 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
beer wrote:
Mick Taylor is one of the best things that ever happened to to the Stones. They were lucky to have him as a Stone while they did.

No one can disagree with that. When he was with the Stones, he added a phenominal layer of bluesy depth that Brian lost (and some would argue never had). However, as Keith said, it was clear who was playing the rhythm and who was playing the lead in the band at that point. Live, the shows were also often fantastic. And the period of untouchable live shows that the boys had with Taylor was around the same length of untouchable live shows the boys had with Ronnie (six-seven years). It all comes down to a matter of personal preference - if you like the virtuoso style and grungy elegance of a sort that Taylor brought to the band live and in the studio, you're likely to pick '69-'75 as the best six years the Stones had together. While that era certainly wins in terms of albums released (compared to the Brian Jones era of two outstanding albums and the Ronnie Wood era of one-and-a-half, Taylor's era brings three classic albums to the table), live I think '75 to '82 was the best era the Stones had in terms of the sound they brought around with them. The Taylor era always seems almost 'too dark' for me in terms of how they were playing - brilliantly, sure, and the Perth '73 "Rocks Off" is still probably the best version of that song ever recorded, but with that feeling that at the end of the show the band left saying "Well, there's the four of us... and Mick Taylor." The '75 tour just kind of exudes that jubilant air of "we are a band and goddamn it, the new guy keeps pinchin' my ass". Still the princes of darkness or whatever, but also a damn good time.

-tSYX --- I need a shot of salvation, babe, once in awhile...
07-16-03 02:11 PM
Honky Tonk Man Just got my ticket!

Im hoping stewed & Keefed will want to go too!

Alex
07-16-03 02:27 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Just got my ticket!

Im hoping stewed & Keefed will want to go too!

Alex

see you there for sure!!!
07-16-03 03:14 PM
littleredrooster Xyzzy,
We forgive you!!

You weren't yet born at the time when Mick Taylor ruled the lead guitar of our Stones!

If the Stones survived the loss of Brian, then they could bounce back from any lead guitarist loss!

BUT, Could they survive the loss of Chuck Leavell??????

Sorry that you can't be there to witness HISTORY !!!!

SIA,
I'll report when I get back in the USSA on Sept 1st!
I just purchased a stealth camera for the Utrecht and Astoria shows, a wallet - sized, Pentax Optio 'S', digital still! I'm presently learning every bump on it with my eyes closed, 'Stevie Wonder Mode'.

Roostah

[Edited by littleredrooster]
07-16-03 03:31 PM
T&A Not a chance in hell MT will play with them. I'll be the first to eat my words if proven wrong...but that won't happen.
07-16-03 03:36 PM
Moonisup
quote:
T&A wrote:
Not a chance in hell MT will play with them. I'll be the first to eat my words if proven wrong...but that won't happen.

that was also unthinkable in 1981, they asked him even, if he lost 25 pounds, Taylor said that in a interview
07-16-03 03:50 PM
littleredrooster NOT a CHANCE???

Could you tell me next weeks' Powerball numbers??
07-17-03 03:53 AM
beer
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

No one can disagree with that. When he was with the Stones, he added a phenominal layer of bluesy depth that Brian lost (and some would argue never had).

True TSYX, but,
anybody that would say Brian had no Blues depth has never heard his guitar intro on their cover of "Can't be satisfied", or any of his great slide playing or harmonica playing, etc. Brian was incredibly talented.
Though Brian and Taylor were nothing alike musically.They had very different styles. Brian was very good at quite a few instruments, just listen to the masterpiece that is "Aftermath".
As far as Mick Taylor goes, I think Keith summed it up best when he said "His playing was well beyond his years". meaning, Mick T was a naturally brilliant lead guitar player at a very young age. But quite often Mick T gets labeled as nothing but a lead/solo player, but he is a great rythem player also, just watch "Bitch" and "Let It Rock" from the Marquee and L and G vids.
07-17-03 03:38 PM
T&A It didn't seem as unlikely in '81 as it does now. Basically, there's nothing but a downside to it from the Stones perspective, nothing to gain and much (theoretically) to lose. For the same reasons as they aren't issuing live material from '72; they don't want to compete with (and lose to)themselves....
[Edited by T&A]
[Edited by T&A]
07-17-03 03:54 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat I'll be there!
07-18-03 08:38 AM
Honky Tonk Man Well, as it seems there are a few of us going, why don't we arange a little pre-show get together?

I have an idea as to what we could do. Im going to this show by myself, so i would really apreciate meeting up.

Alex
07-18-03 12:19 PM
littleredrooster What time do you think that the queue will start??
Or, do you arrive early and hang out at the bar?
Hopfully we can get together!

Roostah