ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

On flight between Bloomington and Detroit, July 26, 1975
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: OK, So who here is going to the July Show in Toronto?? Return to archive Page: 1 2
06-28-03 01:32 PM
Miss U. I know Lady Jane, and Parmeda, and Nanker. Who else? Speak now or forever hold your peace. Or maybe the C12 is holding their own little gathering. I'll be partaking in the Shidoobee gatherings.

You're welcome here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stonestoronto/

P.S: Voodoo, I love that new tongue logo!!! Did u make it?
[Edited by Miss U.]
06-28-03 03:06 PM
steel driving hammer Only if you wear a short skirt with no underwear.

Almost hear you laugh, I don't need no photograph...

Come on girl!!
06-28-03 03:07 PM
Toronto Tom Lady Jane, and Parmeda, and Nanker.

IF you three or anyone on the board wants to join us tuesday night the day before the big show my friend CRaig is doing exile lp it is an amazing show. I will make sure you are able to get a ticket. IF you want to join the large group and no what is happening email me I will make sure you are updated.

I will post more about the show here as well later.

06-28-03 04:38 PM
MarthaMyDear BRENDA!!! ENJOY THE SHOW and I'm REALLY glad you can see them there!!!
By the way, I don't know if you're interested or not but I've been making a huge batch of (non Stones-related) jewelry and I'll be putting that up on my business web site SOON, so I'll email you to let you know everything's up there, if you'd like (?!?!?!)...
Just an FYI!!!

Anyways, take care and have an EXCELLENT time at the show and ROCK ON!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
06-29-03 12:20 AM
tumbling_dice lol.You forgot me, Brenda. You know by now I will be there!Just sent you an e-mail! Talk to you soon!:-D
06-29-03 01:51 PM
Miss U. Ok, Martha, keep me updated. It's too bad you're not coming.
SDH, be careful what you wish for, lol.
See ya, Tumblin.
06-30-03 12:05 PM
steel driving hammer Brenda why won't Toronto be televised or PPV?

This event will be bigger than the 2nd Woodstock.

Plus, I'm sure if Toronto was on PPV, it would generate alot of money for Toronto.

The opportunity is there folks, why not take it?

History is in the making, why let it vanish like a dream?
06-30-03 04:24 PM
tumbling_dice I agree. It should be on PPV.
07-01-03 01:59 AM
Bluzian Hell Yes I'm Goin!!!!!

With regards to the PPV, well, this whole T.O. / SARS concert
thing is designed to attract and appeal to people... and in
order to attain the numbers (millions of viewers and people
in the world), they're gonna have to offer this thing FREE!!!
It's not about making $$$ (which is rare!?!??) it's about
wiping the slate clean for Toronto and this whole f'd up
perspective that CNN has been slandering...

150K sold out already, and Dominion has another 240K in the
can, and you can probably be assured that US Ticketing agencies
have got a hold of 25K tix as well in various outlet cities.

And to those paranoids out there, there's no SARS people.
It's a big propagandic fallacy in the media... totally blown
way out of proportion... I just got back from the Ben Harper
concert tonight (Jack Johnson opened) and it was wonderful!
That'd be my 4th major concert down in Toronto in the past
couple of weeks (ColdPlay, Neil YOung and Wayne Shorter)
and there's no fear, worry or concern about SARS!!!! So to
any silly bastards out there who are apprehensive about coming
up to Toronto - they need to be layed down to rest.

Cheers all~
Ian in Guelph
07-03-03 08:56 AM
Ruskafarian
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
P.S: Voodoo, I love that new tongue logo!!! Did u make it?

I believe that it's a still frame capture from the tounge anitmation used during "Honkey Tonk Women".

Also, I'll be going to show.

AC/DC !!
RUSH !!!
Phuckin' eh!

And some band called "The Stones"?

07-03-03 09:00 AM
Ruskafarian
quote:
Bluzian wrote:
Ian in Guelph

Ian - I'm from Guelph too!

I've got my tickets (got 'em 5 min after they went on sale) and bought the max number available (10), but I would still like to by more. (No, I'm not a scalper!!!)

Do you know if the Ultra in Guelph (by Stone Road Mall) will be selling tickets this Friday?

07-03-03 10:29 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Ruskafarian wrote:
Do you know if the Ultra in Guelph (by Stone Road Mall) will be selling tickets this Friday?

Ian, Ruskafarian, if this is the case, could you please post it. Or, at least, keep me posted via pm? That's only a 25 minute drive from my place in Waterloo. I, too, would like a couple extra. Cheers!

So, yes, looks like I'm going! How could I not..?

07-04-03 10:14 AM
Lazy Bones [quote]Ruskafarian wrote:
/quote]

Yes they are! I've emailed you a list of stores and locations that will be selling them.

Check here for their store locator. Just type in your address for the closest locations. Note, this is for Ontario residents.

http://stores.freshobsessed.com/index.aspx
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
07-06-03 03:57 AM
tumbling_dice Are you all going to be at the Exile Phoenix show Tuesday? Does anyone know anything about get2gethers on Monday night yet?
07-06-03 08:26 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
tumbling_dice wrote:
Are you all going to be at the Exile Phoenix show Tuesday? Does anyone know anything about get2gethers on Monday night yet?

I won't be, but highly recommend it!
07-07-03 10:19 AM
jb How do you get to Canada by train from S. Florida?
07-07-03 03:57 PM
LadyJane Why jb...YOU on Amtrak? I would have thought you'd have the private jet ready to fly directly into Pearson Airport!!

LOL

LadyJ.
aka
Woman who just purchased her Amtrak ticket to TO!!
07-07-03 04:36 PM
jb Still less than 500k ...very sad considering Garth Brooks had almost 1 million and Simon and Garfunkel had well over 500,00..same for that bastard, Keith basher, Elton John.
07-07-03 05:47 PM
Sir Stonesalot Wait a minute...I could have sworn that the PM or someone said that this festival was to raise money to benefit the travel and tourism industry that has been so devestated by the SARS scare. I don't think that there is anything that is "free" when you are doing a "benefit".

I certainly have no gripe about paying out some money to watch the Stones TO set on PPV(no, I doubt that I'd watch any of the other acts). Heck, I don't mind helping out TO's economy. SARS has nothing to do with why I'm not going...I'm not going because I'm allergic to big stupid festivals....not just TO's.
07-08-03 10:02 AM
Lazy Bones
Hot Movie Listings
Tuesday, July 8, 2003

Stones T.O. ticket sales reach 475,000

TORONTO (CP) -- When the Rolling Stones asked people to spend the night together to help SARS-stricken Toronto, fans listened.

As of the weekend, 475,000 tickets for the star-studded concert have been sold, J.P. Pampena, a spokesman for the event, said Monday. Of those, 50,000 were sold to U.S. consumers.

Organizers say sales will likely be capped at 600,000 tickets although Pampena said the facility, an old military base in the city's north end, can hold a lot more.

"The Pope had more than 800,000," he said referring to last year's World Youth Day.

The show, an all-day musical extravaganza on July 30, will also feature AC/DC, The Guess Who, Rush, Sam Roberts, The Flaming Lips, The Isley Brothers, Kathleen Edwards, Justin Timberlake and Sass Jordan.

Tickets are $21.50 each.
07-08-03 10:06 AM
jb 475,000 is very promising....if we can make 600,000 I will consider it a moderately successful event although well over a million people should have attended. On the other hand, lets not confuse Toronto with New York.......
07-08-03 12:28 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
On the other hand, lets not confuse Toronto with New York.......

The Stones haven't...
07-08-03 12:42 PM
jb They like New York better, but feel more at ease given the gentle nature of the Canadian people.
07-08-03 03:05 PM
Miss U. Toronto is the equivalent of NYC in Canada, but cleaner & nicer.
07-09-03 10:14 PM
Celino Join the Midnight Express Bus to The Rolling Stones and Friends Concert in Toronto on Wednesday, July 30, 2003.

The price of $125 includes concert ticket and roundtrip motorcoach transportation from New York City to Downsview Park, Toronto.

We’ll be leaving from the heart of NYC at midnight. You can sleep on the ride and be there hours before the general admission concert kicks off at 2PM with a complete set list by the legendary Rolling Stones. The return trip will again be overnight after the all-star lineup finishes at 11PM and we’ll have you back in New York in time for work on Thursday.

The Stones will be followed by many favorites, including AC/DC, The Guess Who, Rush, Justin Timberlake, The Isley Brothers, The Flaming Lips, Sam Roberts, Kathleen Edwards, Sass Jordan, La Chicane and hosts Dan Akroyd and Jim Belushi of Have Love Will Travel.

Contact Anthony Celino of Rondout Tours and Charters at: (718) 805-2439 or [email protected] for details and to reserve your ticket. Space is limited so book your seat now.

(you will need your birth certificate or passport in order to cross the Canadian border)
07-10-03 09:20 AM
Ruskafarian Some very interesting statistics etc. about the "I LOVE SARS" concert.

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusic/jul9_stones-cp.html

07-10-03 10:58 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Ruskafarian wrote:
Some very interesting statistics etc. about the "I LOVE SARS" concert.

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusic/jul9_stones-cp.html

Hmmmm..works out to 142.9 people per toilet.
07-11-03 12:04 PM
Lazy Bones Friday, July 11, 2003

Cost may rock fans
Stones concert features high prices
By PHILIP LEE-SHANOK -- Toronto Sun

TORONTO -- It'll cost you more than the $21.50 ticket price by the time the Rolling Stones hit the stage.

Molson Sports and Entertainment says the estimated 500,000 people expected at Downsview Park will pay a premium for bottled water, food and, of course, beer.

Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto, the day-long concert July 30 at Downsview Park headlined by the Rolling Stones with guests The Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC and Sam Roberts, will also feature a hefty markup.

"It's not going to be overpriced, but it will be 'event-type' pricing not dissimilar from the Molson Indy, the Ex or Ontario Place," David Jones of Molson Sports and Entertainment said. "But you're not going to see $10 for a bottle of water."

Molson's, which has the final say on prices, says it will guard against price-gouging at the event, which is designed to boost Toronto's suffering tourism and hospitality industries.

The Canadian Tourism Commission estimates SARS cost those sectors of the economy $519 million, with most effects felt in Toronto.

"No one is making any money off this. Any profits are going to the charities for hospitality and healthcare workers," Jones said. "Molson's won't be fattening its bank account."

Jones said some concert-goers might balk at the concession prices, but the show promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime event that may be what the summer will be remembered for.

The average cost of a Rolling Stones ticket this year was $212, up from last year's $158.

The show set a first-day sales record for Ticketmaster Canada, which sold out its 150,000 tickets in one day.

The Rolling Stones concert tours grossed an estimated $87.9 million US last year, second to Paul McCartney, whose tour last year grossed $103.3 million US, according to Pollstar.

WHAT YOU CAN'T TAKE

David Jones of Molson Sports and Entertainment says many restrictions on what can be brought into concerts are requested by bands.

This is what you can't bring to Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto on July 30:

* Items that can be projectiles, including cans, bottles and removable bottle tops, umbrellas, coolers, food and lawnchairs.

* A blanket ban imposed after an outdoor concert fatality in which someone being tossed on a blanket fell off, Jones said. But Molson's is considering allowing blankets of a certain size or towels into the park.

There will also be a designated area for wheelchairs.
07-13-03 10:29 PM
Lazy Bones Sunday, July 13, 2003

Blues travellers
'Pair of refrigerators' hit road with new CD
By LIZ BRAUN -- Toronto Sun

Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi have recorded a new CD of R&B, rock and blues classics. It's called Have Love, Will Travel. And here's the thing: It's really good. Really good.

The gents, who along with their impressive Have Love, Will Travel band were scheduled to play the Ottawa Blues Festival yesterday, are touring North America to promote the recording. They'll land in Toronto at the end of July to host the Rolling Stones outdoor extravaganza.

Aykroyd, 51, phoned up from his Ontario cottage last week to talk about Have Love, Will Travel, and he calls it a good summer record with a classy band -- a perfect description. With such cuts as Time Won't Let Me, Polk Salad Annie, Driving Wheel and 300 Pounds Of Joy, it's just the CD to have blasting in the car or the boat.

The Have Love, Will Travel musicians (some of whom have worked with Buddy Guy, Etta James and B.B. King), include Johnny Lee Schell, J.J. Holiday, Jimmie Wood, Joe Sublett, Darrell Leonard, Glen Clark, Larr Lee Lerma and Tony Braunagel.

And Aykroyd and Belushi do a terrific job on lead vocals.

"Not bad," says the Oscar nominee, modestly. "Those musicians wouldn't let us just croak our way through it."

Aykroyd has been a huge fan of blues, rock and R&B since childhood, recording hit Blues Brothers albums with the late John Belushi and for years playing host on the national House Of Blues radio show.

For this CD, released on an indie label, he says, "We didn't have a target demographic. We just wanted as many people as possible to know the music of the Have Love, Will Travel show." Aykroyd says the crowds the band has drawn thus far comprised women aged 35-75 and "men over 300 pounds."

There are kids in the crowd. Aykroyd runs down a career list that covers hundreds of hours on SCTV, on Saturday Night Live, such movies as Ghostbusters, Spies Like Us, Dragnet, Driving Miss Daisy, Celtic Pride, The Great Outdoors, The House Of Mirth and dozens of others, the Blues Brothers recordings and all the rest of it -- before wryly observing that to the kids of 10 or 12 who now see him on this tour, "I'm just the father in My Girl."

He adds, laughing, "Of course, once we start, the kids just look up at their parents in disbelief. Because we dance. When we start to haul the bulk around in those shiny suits, with the help of the Ace Bandage Company, we do look like a pair of refrigerators. I am the Amana plum and Jim is the Amana avocado."

Aykroyd speaks with authority about the band, the musicians, and the history of what he's doing; talking about the delta blues, he goes off on a musical tangent that covers

T. Bone Walker, Willie Dixon, African slave chants, Les Paul and Muddy Waters, Junior Wells, James Brown and Church music and winds up with Gordon Lightfoot, Ronnie Hawkins, Stompin' Tom Conners and Bryan Adams.

He says, "I felt so lucky, that growing up as a kid in Ottawa, I had the chance to see Paul Butterfield, and Sam and Dave, and so many of the Stax-Volt recording artists. Now, Otis Redding's guitar player is in my band."

Referring to his past recordings with John Belushi, he says, "They all knew John and I weren't the best vocalists, but they knew we respected the music. They accepted that somehow, an Albanian-American from Wheaton, Ill., had the chops."

Nice that now he's working with Jim Belushi.

"Oh, Jim was left to me in John's will," says Aykroyd. "And in Jimmy's will it says, 'Look out for the big Canadian.' "

He's liking this tour, says the big Canadian, who -- not too surprisingly -- has a big Order of Canada. "We toured when I was in my 20s, too, and it's tougher now. But you've got to support the record. We've got to get the word out. Maybe we need sponsorship or something," he muses, "but we're pleased with how far we've come. It's like breaking in a new band. It's not the Blues Brothers. It's more of an informal review. It's broader based, and that's the challenge."

He's looking forward to being in Toronto for the Rolling Stones concert. They'll host the show, but will they play?

"Maybe we'll do a couple of songs, fill in as needed. That's up to Mick, Keith and Michael Cohl -- whatever they tell me to do. They know we have a great band behind us."

For all the Have Love, Will Travel gigs, Aykroyd will be busy.

"We're the promoters and we're the harmonica players and we're the dancers and we're the front men. It's like we're snakeoil medicine salesmen.

"Only in this case, the snakeoil works."
07-14-03 12:13 PM
Lazy Bones Sunday, July 13, 2003

Aykroyd, Belushi rock Bluesfest crowd
By DENIS ARMSTRONG -- Ottawa Sun
JIM BELUSHI & DAN AYKROYD
Bluesfest, Ottawa
Saturday, July 12, 2003

The latest edition of The Blues Brothers -- Have Love Will Travel -- made what you might call a 'splashy' entrance at last night's Bluesfest Main Stage concert.

Splashy. Get it? The rain? Hello!

No sooner did the comic celebrity duo of Dan Aykroyd, his partner in crime Jim Belushi -- younger brother of original Blues Brother John Belushi -- and the Have Love Will Travel Revue take the stage when a torrential downpour doused 23,600 fans.

But a good summer shower has a way of separating the lightweight concert-goer from the hardcore festival lover.

While the rain sent many scrambling for the exits, the sog turned resolutely unmovable fans into a middle-aged crazy moshpit with dancing and cavorting everywhere on Festival Plaza.

Not even Mother Nature could compete with the third generation of the Blue Brothers, the Saturday Night Live offshoot that's taken a whole, bizarre life all its own.

I guess the line is true, Have Love Will Travel really are "on a mission from God," as the old Blues Brothers' motto goes.

REBELS WITH A CAUSE

Holding the fort, Hollywood star and local hero Dan Aykroyd, 51, television sitcom regular Jim Belushi, 49, and their Have Love Will Travel band -- namely Belushi's own band The Sacred Hearts -- rode up to the Main Stage backstage area on Harleys.

These were middle-aged crazy rebels with a cause. To party. And party they did.

Dressed in snazzy sharkskin jackets and matching bandanas, the pair buried the Jake and Elwood Blues characters to focus on showing their fans a good time.

Some fans might write off the celebrity pair as a couple of old hambones pretending to be prophets of Chicago and Delta blues.

You know, they might be right. But they weren't among the 23,600 soggy loyalists who were dancing in the rain.

Opening with their theme music Skybox Ballroom Pump, the boys proved to be natural non-stop showmen with kickass versions of Sweet Home Chicago, Hard to Handle and All She Wants to Do Is Rock with Aykroyd on harmonica and vocals and the free-spirited Belushi sharing vocal duties with surprising ease, even coaxing three "sexy ladies" into a jigglefest with on Hold On, I'm Coming.

That saucy moment led appropriately enough into Belushi's vocal turn on 36-22-36, followed by Have Love Will Travel from the pair's Big Men, Big Music release.

But the most hilarious moment was saved for 300 Pounds, in which the veteran comics, with a nose for a good larf, invited three amply proportioned gentlemen on-stage for a little beer-belly busting.

Given the slippery conditions, those shenanigans proved explosively funny.

Halfway through the show, it was difficult to get a clean sightline to the stage amidst all the umbrellas, lawnchairs and coolers people were using for shelter.

Still, the sound on Time Won't Let Me, You Don't Love Me, Natural Woman and their encore Money Money played all the way out to the bleachers.

After 14 years and eight albums from a couple of star-struck celebrities covering the blues, I guess the novelty of the novelty has finally worn off.

People take them seriously and the Blues Brothers franchise has a claim on being a legitimate party band.

Just ask the soggy, diehard Bluesfest fans who were there last night.

Last night's early evening entertainment -- Tommy Castro and his band Randy McDonald, Keith Crossan and Scott Rabino -- certainly has the chops to play with the big talent. Castro opened for Ray Charles at his last Bluesfest appearance in 1998. After last night's showing, there's no doubt he'll be headlining.
Page: 1 2