ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How would ever have thought Keith Richards would be a hired hand for bankers? Return to archive Page: 1 2
14th July 2007 10:44 AM
Poison Dart The Stones should retire after that disgraceful concert for corporate suits at Deutsche Bank.

As if anyone needed more conformation the Stones have lost their touch (nothing says rock + roll more than $400 tickets to a stadium show)this is just further conformation.

Could you imagine the Keith Richards of the 70's or even the "Talk is Cheap" Keith playing a corporate gig for bankers?

What's next?

Maybe the "Bridges to Ernst + Young" tour?

Or the "Rebalance Your Portfolio at the Voodoo Lounge" tour?

These guys are fucking lame these days.

It's a shame because these guys still have some great stuff left in them.
14th July 2007 11:02 AM
Mr Jurkka They do gig for millions.. what is the proplem? i would do.
14th July 2007 11:23 AM
F505
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
They do gig for millions.. what is the proplem? i would do.

The problem is they do the same old lame show for too many years now. They have become a circus attraction while doing their boring tricks for everyone who is crazy enough to pay for it.
14th July 2007 11:25 AM
Highwire Rob He's a pirate! And bankers is giving up booty!
14th July 2007 11:27 AM
Mr Jurkka ARRR!
14th July 2007 12:29 PM
mojoman
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
He's a pirate! And bankers is giving up booty!

hoist the jolly roger!!!
14th July 2007 12:45 PM
nappyrags well like willie loman said when asked why he robbed banks..." 'cause that's where the money is..." same thing
14th July 2007 01:00 PM
Poison Dart Yeah, the poor thing is really hurting.

Thank God he stole their money.

Give me a fucking break!!!
14th July 2007 01:24 PM
wasted Let me get this straight. The Rolling Stones play a boring, short set of 12 songs for millions in front of a small group of bankers and people are upset about it.

A question. What band wouldnt go for something like that? Is there one out there? The Rolling Stones did it because they could. The others dont do it because they cant.
14th July 2007 03:17 PM
~Cocaine Eyes~ I really have nothing against them playing for DB and for Bill Clinton's birthday party. Or for any other group which has BIG MONEY.
The Stones have paid their dues. And, they do still play for us, the fans.

But I wish they'd play small places more for the fans.
[Edited by ~Cocaine Eyes~]
15th July 2007 05:50 PM
gimmekeef I wish they'd record a double album of new stuff better than Exile in my basement with me at the controls....But that aint happenin either...Wait till the Vegas run starts in 2008/09 at Bellagio etc.....Mark my words....
15th July 2007 05:54 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
The Stones should retire after that disgraceful concert for corporate suits at Deutsche Bank.

As if anyone needed more conformation the Stones have lost their touch (nothing says rock + roll more than $400 tickets to a stadium show)this is just further conformation.

Could you imagine the Keith Richards of the 70's or even the "Talk is Cheap" Keith playing a corporate gig for bankers?

What's next?

...or maybe a 'Rice Krispies' commercial....
15th July 2007 07:22 PM
72Tele I'm sure a banker of any sort had never attended a Stones concert prior to this show. The billion or so people who have attended their concerts have had only real cool jobs like tattoo artists,test pilots, motorcycle daredevils and arborists. Who the fuck cares who is staring back at them when they play? They're entertainers! Somebody pays, they play.
16th July 2007 04:05 AM
FotiniD
quote:
72Tele wrote:
They're entertainers! Somebody pays, they play.

I somehow was under the impression they were musicians and they actually used to dig what they were doing. All those mumbo-jumbo about the ancient art of weaving, and music being their life and soul, and Keith bitching about Mick's sell-out moments and all, to name a few.

"What a drag it is, getting old."
16th July 2007 12:44 PM
polytoxic
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
The Stones should retire after that disgraceful concert for corporate suits at Deutsche Bank.

What's next?

These guys are fucking lame these days.

It's a shame because these guys still have some great stuff left in them.

Well all that "you can have the money, pal" talk is bullshit anyways.
I don't think Keith is really fooling anyone with that.

16th July 2007 01:24 PM
Jumping Jack Bellagio is cool, nice buffet, great swimming in the fountain after the show!
17th July 2007 07:15 AM
Steel Wheels Good ol'sharecropper B.B. King charges 100 bucks for tickets, appears in diabetic commercials, and has done countless private gigs.

Who cares?

It's all music.
17th July 2007 08:40 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:

Who cares?

It's all music.

Yes, but what kind of music? Good music? Boring music?

Great music they don't feel inspired to play or write anymore, cause they've become alienated with their fans and what they used to love doing?

Enter big $$$ in the equation and the art or music aspect is gone in seconds, imo.
17th July 2007 08:57 AM
LadyJane I'm so sick of this thread.
Let me bottom line it for ya.

One of these days, in the not too distant future, I fear, there will be no more shows AT ALL.

None..Zilch.

Game Over.

So in the big picture, this gig does NOT bother me in the least.

LJ.

17th July 2007 09:01 AM
mojoman
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm so sick of this thread.

One of these days, in the not too distant future, I fear, there will be no more shows AT ALL.

None..Zilch.

Game Over.

LJ.

thanks LJ for your wise words......now i'm gonna cry
17th July 2007 09:09 AM
FotiniD
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

None..Zilch.

Game Over.

LJ.

I know LJ, and I'm not in a rush at all for that day to come, but the thing is, I don't think what's bothering anyone of us is the gig itself. It's what it represents, more than anything else. I've been trying to not pay attention for quite a long time, but it's like they're force-feeding it to us lately, "hello, in case you haven't noticed, we're corporate sell-outs, now empty your wallets!".

Yeah, I know, that's the way it's been for years and I should deal with it. Well, it still makes me sad, nevertheless. And I can't believe I'm saying that, but it has come to a point that if we were given choice of the Stones, staying the way they are, disbanding in say ten years, or the Stones like they used to be (making music cause they enjoy it, rejecting offers which they'd only take because of the $$$ involved) disbanding in one year, I think I'd pick the second one.

I just wish things were different. With more passion and less greed involved.
17th July 2007 09:11 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

None..Zilch.

Game Over.

LJ.

Word LJ. The final chapters are playing out before our eyes. The maggots are putting their bibs on. I'm sticking around to see how this book ends. I've been reading it far too long, and have way too much emotional stock invested in it to put it down now.

Rock me Charlie.
17th July 2007 09:13 AM
LadyJane
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I just wish things were different. With more passion and less greed involved.

Too late, my dear.
Ain't gonna happen at this stage of the game.

It's been "all about the $$" for quite some time.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I understand your point of view.

I guess my focus is more on enjoying what is left.

LJ.
17th July 2007 09:19 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
nappyrags wrote:
well like willie loman said when asked why he robbed banks..." 'cause that's where the money is..." same thing

That was Willie Sutton.
17th July 2007 09:45 AM
FotiniD
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Too late, my dear.
Ain't gonna happen at this stage of the game.

It's been "all about the $$" for quite some time.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I understand your point of view.

I guess my focus is more on enjoying what is left.

LJ.

Well, you know I still do as well
It's just that there's a bitterness involved as well *sigh*...
17th July 2007 10:36 AM
Fiji Joe Pretty simple...The Stones don't care about their fans bitching...so don't bitch...love it or leave it
17th July 2007 10:46 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Pretty simple...The Stones don't care about their fans bitching...so don't bitch...love it or leave it

I agree to an extent. They do not care about the "die hard" fans bitching because in reality, they will get our money more times than not. They do care about the casual fan, the fan who would bitch that, "I liked it, but I won't go back again since they didnt play Brown Sugar". They want the casual fan to attend these shows, perhaps decide to attend another and then go buy Jump Back, 40 Licks, and other such releases.

Virtually everything the Stones do now is geared towards the casual fan because thats who they understand they need to cater to to be able to earn the large profits from the stadium shows vs. the small profits from the theater gigs.
17th July 2007 11:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Word LJ. The final chapters are playing out before our eyes. The maggots are putting their bibs on. I'm sticking around to see how this book ends. I've been reading it far too long, and have way too much emotional stock invested in it to put it down now.

Rock me Charlie.

IMO opinion this entire Age of Rock n Roll ends when the Stones do. They were/are that important. But of course the Stones will "live on" and permeate the next Age of Rock n' Roll. I wouldn't be at all surprised of they're God's favorite Rock n Roll band.
17th July 2007 11:55 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

IMO opinion this entire Age of Rock n Roll ends when the Stones do. They were/are that important. But of course the Stones will "live on" and permeate the next Age of Rock n' Roll. I wouldn't be at all surprised of they're God's favorite Rock n Roll band.

I don't want to sound cheeky or pretend to be cleverer, but I think that age of rock 'n' roll was finished long ago

There is good rock music today, and there are great live bands, but rock 'n' roll as an era and as we define it, well, I think it's been dead far too long.

That said, of course the Stones are important. Just imagine how much more important - and still relevant - they would be, had they cared more about their own legacy.
17th July 2007 12:19 PM
Steel Wheels The rich have always had their court jesters and entertainers.

If the rich want to hire the Stones, so be it. Hire Dylan. B.B. Even Bon Jovi.

Who hires a musician doesn't matter.

Does the musician deliver the goods? Is the guitar in tune? Does the lead singer get the words right? That's what matters.

Musicians are the one sector of artists that have this bullshit code of ethics about what they charge and who they play for applied to them.

If a painter gets paid to paint some asshole's wife for a million bucks, it's art. You NEVER hear about a painter "selling out" to the man. "Oh, she just paints for the rich now. What a sell out. She used to sell painting for 10 bucks. Now she sells the same paintings she's always made for a million dollars a canvas."
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)