ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rod Stewart's Cover of Street Fighting Man Return to archive
12th July 2007 10:41 PM
Glimmer Twin I picked "Paint It Black" album full of covers of Stone's songs. It's mostly just ok, but Rod Stewart's cover of Street Fighting Man is awesome. Fantastic. I had never heard it before. It was done in 1970 and Ronnie Wood is on guitar. Anyone hear it before and what do you think?
[Edited by Glimmer Twin]
12th July 2007 10:54 PM
Taptrick
I grew up on this. My dad always played Sing It again Rod, Every Picture Tells A Story and one of the other albums. I always liked when this kickc into regular gear but grew to like the first sloed down fucnky part too - it's like lazy street fighting man.

12th July 2007 11:31 PM
mrhipfl it's ok. I much prefer the original.
13th July 2007 01:02 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
I picked "Paint It Black" album full of covers of Stone's songs. It's mostly just ok, but Rod Stewart's cover of Street Fighting Man is awesome. Fantastic. I had never heard it before. It was done in 1970 and Ronnie Wood is on guitar. Anyone hear it before and what do you think?
[Edited by Glimmer Twin]

It was released in 1969 in the very first Rod Stewart album, in fact is the first track on the album. This album was released in the USA as the "The Rod Stewart Album" and in the UK as "An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down" it was released just after Jeff Beck disbanded his group and just before the first Faces album (released with credits to the Small Faces) and it has Ronnie and Mac in it, also Keith Emerson from The Nice later to form Emerson Lake and Palmer, this is one of the best Rod Stewart albums.
13th July 2007 01:21 AM
gustavobala after 1969, Rod stops to do good covers!!!! LOL

is a good version, i like it!
13th July 2007 08:10 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I like Rod's covers of Bob Dylan, they all are great, same for Joe Cocker not sure if they are the best covers of Dylan but I like them a lot
13th July 2007 09:34 AM
voodoopug
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I like Rod's covers of Bob Dylan, they all are great, same for Joe Cocker not sure if they are the best covers of Dylan but I like them a lot

This is far better than "Great American Songbook"
13th July 2007 09:37 AM
gustavobala
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I like Rod's covers of Bob Dylan, they all are great, same for Joe Cocker not sure if they are the best covers of Dylan but I like them a lot

whatīs musics he does bobīs covers?

and joe cocker?
13th July 2007 09:53 AM
voodoopug
quote:
gustavobala wrote:

and joe cocker?

here is a review from Rollingstone.com

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/rodstewart/albums/album/322273/review/5946825/the_rod_stewart_album_1st_lp

Rod Stewart, lead singer with the off-again on-again Jeff Beck group, has come up with a superb album of his own. Imagination pervades the music, in the choice of material, in the frequent use of beautiful bottleneck guitar work to draw out the subtler aspects of many cuts (Ron Wood is responsible here), and in the range Stewart himself displays on virtually every vocal.

British albums are often over-done, with good ideas transformed into gimmicks; on this record the music sustains itself through innumerable listenings. A bass solo is not an indulgence here but a perfect lead-in to striking piano; the bottleneck is so sparing that you simply hunger for more of that brilliant sound. What is more amazing is that the musicians make their statements with the same sort of friendly sympathy that recently has been displayed only by the Stones and by the three geniuses of Traffic. Their soul is in their timing.

Stewart opens by taking the big risk, with "Street Fighting Man." And, like Johnny Winter's "Highway 61 Revisited," Rod's performance shows no self-consciousness, no worry about the "right way" to do it. He starts in the middle, brakes with a crash, and then a familiar "We Love You" riff on the piano carries the song back to the Stones' beginning. Rod's ending. It's just a fine piece of music, not a cover.

"Man of Constant Sorrow" is next; Stewart's own guitar is up front, while Wood's bottleneck creeps in from the other channel, adding depth to a vocal that is just about the definition of English soul. The richness of this album begins to suggest itself here—this is not just another solid Joe Cocker LP, but something more. You don't hear Ray Charles or anyone else looking over Stewart's shoulder, but an echo of lessons well earned.

"Handbags & Gladrags" clinches it. It will remind most of the Stones' "No Expectations"; the same soft despairing heart-breaking Floyd Cramer-style piano played by Mike D'Abo, and again, the sort of restraint and timing that makes the listener wish the song would never end. It's a very sophisticated composition, a brief story that's full of emotion but which never slides into dull sentiment. Like the rest of the songs Stewart is singing here, it's not going to get old.

Stewart's LP is perhaps the only album released this year that reflects something of the feeling of Beggars' Banquet, aside from Let It Bleed. And, unlike so many of the records of 1969, issued with a flood of hype and forgotten after a dozen playings, this one is for keeps. Many LPs are a lot flashier than this one, but damn few are any better. (RS 51)
13th July 2007 04:20 PM
LoveinVainRonnie Street Fighting Man -
"What on earth led me to record this song I'll never know. In fact, it was actually meant to be a song by Little Richard called "The Girl Can't Help It," but, during the session, for no apparent reason, I started singing "Street fighting man," adding much confusion to an already bewildered band." - Rod Stewart 1990

The Faces - Too much woman/Street fighting man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pvS6AXUBdQ

Clips of Rod's Bob Dylan recordings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQuOcLpSNJQ

A tribute video I just made...Video collage to "When we were the new boys" last song I believe Rod wrote in 97. Plus Rods sense of humor displayed with funny Rod clips over the years:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeJFzLo25R4

Since talking about his early albums, here is some clips on his love of Folk music etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4vdpRjD4Ns
Talking about his idol Sam Cooke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBMGMpWRlw

Rods introduction into the UK hall of fame with Paul Rodgers, Bryan Adams, James Morrison, Glen Matlock, Kenny Jones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usZTvGd49k

[Edited by LoveinVainRonnie]
13th July 2007 06:39 PM
Fuck! Off Topic:
Rod Stweart - Young Hearts be free tonight

Fuckin' great song! i like it!

Ok, on Topic again, yeah cool version, although i like the stripped version better! but good to see 'big' artists doing a stones tune

Fuck!
13th July 2007 08:16 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
it's ok. I much prefer the original.

Yeah, I like the original better too, but I was surprised at how good the cover was.

Thanks to everyone with their comments and research.
[Edited by Glimmer Twin]
17th July 2007 11:18 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
gustavobala wrote:

and joe cocker?

Rod and/or Faces covers of Dylan:

• Wicked Messenger
  • Only a Hobo
  • Tomorrow Is a Long Time
  • Mama, You Been on My Mind
  • Girl from the North Country
  • Just Like a Woman
  • Sweetheart Like You
  • If Not for You

Joe Cocker:

• Dear Landlord
  • Just Like a Woman
  • I Shall Be Released
  • Girl from the North Country
  • Catfish
  • The Man in Me
  • Watching the River Flow
  • Seven Days (based on Woody's cover)
  • Maybe some more

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)