ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Earth 7.7.07 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
7th July 2007 10:35 AM
jostorm TTM wrote:

And environmentalists have rejected solutions to the problems they say global warming will worsen. Indeed, as I show in my book Eco-Freaks: Environmentalism Is Hazardous to Your Health, environmentalists have created their own public health crises with many of their "solutions." It was not global warming but the banning of the pesticide DDT -- inspired by the hysterics of Gore's heroine Rachel Carson -- that has led to millions dying of malaria in the Third World.

-------------------------

I remember reading a while ago that one American president (Carter, I think) made his people tell the Africans there would be no more aid money if they did not stop using DDT. His attache said "but millions of them will die of Malaria, Sir!" The president's answer was "there are too may of them anyway, they may as well die pof Malaria"...
7th July 2007 11:54 AM
Dan Genesis was okay. I bet they are on a planet thrashing private jet to Manchester after selflessly doing their part to save the rest of us. I woke up to Shakira. Felt the Greenhouse Effect in my shorts watching that. Snoop was pretty good, probably the best act so far. I am moderately interested in Metallica, The Police and Smashing Pumpkins. Except I bet Metallica plays the exact same setlist they did at the Freddie Mercury tribute.
7th July 2007 11:58 AM
jostorm Yes, Genesis was good, Dan.I grew up with them and somehow missed ever seing them life , so this was a little treat...But I wonder how much carbon footprint Phil Collins leaves behind through his electric shaver every morning, to hide the fact he's almost entirely bald....
7th July 2007 11:59 AM
Dan My favorite part so far though is the dude telling us we have to do more while standing next to a spotlight turned on in broad daylight.
7th July 2007 12:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels IMO there are some things worse than dying...like selling one's birthright for a bowl of pottage. Interesting times...no?
7th July 2007 12:13 PM
jostorm extremely interesting times, indeed....

Did you see Shakira's electric guitar??? Or were you too busy concentrating on her fabulous anatomy?
7th July 2007 12:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Did you see Shakira's electric guitar??? Or were you too busy concentrating on her fabulous anatomy?

I'm not a fan of hers...but I could be. I'm not really following this show but I guess I should be. I lost interest when I first read the line up of acts.....which I suppose is a predicial way of looking at things.
7th July 2007 12:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
7th July 2007 12:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Idealism is great and all that.
But there are times when money, power, and prestige come in handy.
7th July 2007 12:28 PM
jostorm I'm trying to plough through an absolute mountain of paperwork. Daughter at friend's, husband working in the Seychelles for two weeks , dog and cat asleep at my feet on bed. Wouldn't usually watch this, but....

Shakira's guitar made me laugh, it was all pink and glittery, a girl has got to have her priorities right.... And yes, she is absolutely gorgeous...
7th July 2007 12:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels

Mama, take this badge off of me
I can't use it anymore.
It's gettin' dark, too dark for me to see
I feel like I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door

Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore.
That long black cloud is comin' down
I feel like I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
7th July 2007 12:33 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
jostorm wrote:
I'm trying to plough through an absolute mountain of paperwork. Daughter at friend's, husband working in the Seychelles for two weeks , dog and cat asleep at my feet on bed. Wouldn't usually watch this, but....

Shakira's guitar made me laugh, it was all pink and glittery, a girl has got to have her priorities right.... And yes, she is absolutely gorgeous...

by the end of the day..i bet she'll be joey's new crush.

i plan to watch this show tongingt at 8pm
7th July 2007 12:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

by the end of the day..i bet she'll be joey's new crush.

i plan to watch this show tongingt at 8pm

She's much prettier than Paris.

7th July 2007 12:37 PM
mojoman
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

mama
7th July 2007 12:39 PM
jostorm I'm crap at posting pictures, so one of you has got to post a clip of her in action. Although she looks very beautiful in photographs, the stills don't do her any justice at all. She's a real woman, not a piece of plastic like Paris. As soon as Joey sets eyes on a youtube clip or video of her shaking her ass, he will immediately forget all about Paris.....

As he would say: Word!

The Chili Peppers are on...
7th July 2007 12:41 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

She's much prettier than Paris.

paris is the kind of girl you would take home to meet your mom

shikera.......iiiiiii don't think sooooooo.
7th July 2007 12:49 PM
jostorm God! If I was your Mum and you brought Paris home, I would disinherit you on the spot! (I know, not that it would matter, as she's so rich, but I hope you follow my drift!)
Shakira, however, has true potential as a daughter in law!
She writes her own stuff, comes from a normal, non-dysfunctional family and she wouldn't have any birth complications with hips like that, so I wouldn't fear for my future grandchildren.Go on, Son, go for Shakira, you've got my blessing.....
7th July 2007 12:51 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
jostorm wrote:
God! If I was your Mum and you brought Paris home, I would disinherit you on the spot! (I know, not that it would matter, as she's so rich, but I hope you follow my drift!)
Shakira, however, has true potential as a daughter in law!
She writes her own stuff, comes from a normal, non-dysfunctional family and she wouldn't have any birth complications with hips like that, so I wouldn't fear for my future grandchildren.Go on, Son, go for Shakira, you've got my blessing.....

non dysfunctional famly? there is no such thing.
7th July 2007 01:13 PM
Dan Who was that chick who just played on Sundance in Hamburg? I kinda liked her. She looked INdian and sang like a Canadian.
7th July 2007 01:21 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Dan wrote:
Who was that chick who just played on Sundance in Hamburg? I kinda liked her. She looked INdian and sang like a Canadian.

shikera?
7th July 2007 01:30 PM
Dan Okay it was Maria Mena. She was good. Black Eyed Peas were alright but totally different than from what I remember at Red Rocks '98.
7th July 2007 03:18 PM
Taptrick
I think this is surpringly insightful:

Arctic Monkeys shiver at climate 'hypocrisy'
By Adam Plowright

BRITISH rock group Arctic Monkeys have become the latest music industry stars to question whether the performers taking part in Live Earth on Saturday are suitable climate change activists.
"It's a bit patronising for us 21 year olds to try to start to change the world," said Arctic Monkeys drummer Matt Helders, explaining why the group is not on the bill at any of Al Gore's charity concerts.

"Especially when we're using enough power for 10 houses just for (stage) lighting. It'd be a bit hypocritical," he said in an interview before a concert in Paris.

Bass player Nick O'Malley chimes in: "And we're always jetting off on aeroplanes!"

Large parts of the band's hometown of Sheffield, an industrial city in northern England, were flooded at the end of last month after a deluge of mid-summer rain that some blamed on global warming. Two people were killed.

But the band wonder why anyone would be interested in the opinion of rock stars on a complex scientific issue like climate change.

"Someone asked us to give a quote about what was happening in Sheffield and it's like 'who cares what we think about what's happening'?" added Helders.

"There's more important people who can have an opinion. Why does it make us have an opinion because we're in a band?"

The group, whose first record was the fastest-selling debut album in British history, will clock up thousands of air miles -- in normal airliners not private jets, they say - during their tour to Asia and Australia in the next few months.

They are not the only stars to take a cynical view of Live Earth, which aims to raise awareness about global warming but which will require many longhaul flights and thousands of car journeys to and from the music venues.

Many of the biggest acts have questionable environmental credentials - the car-loving rapper Snoop Dogg appeared in a Chrysler commercial last year - and there are doubts about the ability of pop stars to galvanise the world into action.

Bob Geldof, the architect of Live Aid and Live 8, the two biggest awareness-raising concerts in history, had a public spat with Al Gore about the need for the event.

"Why is he (Gore) actually organising them?" Geldof said in an interview with a Dutch newspaper in May, adding that everyone was already aware of global warming and the event needed firm commitments from politicians and polluters.

Roger Daltrey, singer from 1970s British rock band The Who, told British newspaper The Sun in May that "the last thing the planet needs is a rock concert."

And the singer from 80s pop sensations The Pet Shop Boys, Neil Tennant, attacked the arrogance of pop stars who put themselves forward as role-models.

"I've always been against the idea of rock stars lecturing people as if they know something the rest of us don't," he was reported as saying by British music magazine NME.

Live Earth takes place Saturday in seven cities - Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hamburg, London, Johannesburg and New York - and organisers hope for a television audience of two billion.

An eighth show in Rio de Janeiro was cancelled by police due to security concerns.

"Live Earth is going to bring together a massive audience around the world to take action against the climate crisis," says Live Earth organiser Yusef Robb.

"Some may say that rock stars tend to be conspicuous consumers, but if we can get those people to turn the corner then we're happy to do so."

Planners have put an enormous effort into minimising the environmental impact of the event in an effort to pre-empt sniping from critics about hypocrisy and the pollution caused by the concerts.

Fans are being encouraged to share cars or use public transport to attend, all lightbulbs will be energy-efficient and the food will be sourced locally where possible.

7th July 2007 03:21 PM
Taptrick
Can I sell anyone a carbon nuetral marketing position....how about a Roman Catholic indulgence?

7th July 2007 03:52 PM
mrhipfl Did anyone else see Keith Urban doing "Gimme Shelter" with Alicia Keys? It was a smoking version!
7th July 2007 03:59 PM
LadyJane
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Did anyone else see Keith Urban doing "Gimme Shelter" with Alicia Keys? It was a smoking version!

I agree.
Urban is impressing me.
The band NAILED the guitars on GS.

LJ.
7th July 2007 04:35 PM
mrhipfl lmao @ Spinal Tap!
7th July 2007 04:38 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

paris is the kind of girl you would take home to meet your mom

shikera.......iiiiiii don't think sooooooo.

What - a drunk-driving, jailbird, VD-ridden skank who's never done a days work in her life and who is probably incapable of wiping her own ass? ideal daughter in law material.

Shakira's a babe. Paris is a troll.
[Edited by Gazza]
7th July 2007 05:19 PM
mrhipfl Would somebody please explain to me the appeal of fallout boy? They are quite possibly the most annoying band I have ever heard.
7th July 2007 05:20 PM
Dan Wow, my Metallica prediction was true! I am surprised and impressed. They are really walking the talk with recycling. By recycling the setlist they used the last time they did a benefit at Wembley fifteen years ago!
7th July 2007 05:22 PM
One Million Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Shakira's a babe. Paris is a troll.

I guess you're right, but I've never been all that particular. Shakira is much more naturally prettier than Paris who is ALL make up. But I like that. I'm Joe sixpack so it doesn't matter. I couldn't afford a girl like Shakira anyway, so you paint the skanks, you marry a slut. You lower your standards until you get off.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)