ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Earth 7.7.07 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
3rd July 2007 03:49 PM
Mr Jurkka So this saturday is gonna be a big Concert! Around the world for good thing. Who is going to watch it and start to save this planet?
3rd July 2007 03:52 PM
glencar You start. What have you done? I will do my bit by not watching this Gorefest AT ALL!
3rd July 2007 03:58 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
glencar wrote:
You start. What have you done? I will do my bit by not watching this Gorefest AT ALL!

I will. Is it so horrible?
3rd July 2007 04:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:

It's great....if you like dealing with control freaks and bull shit artists.
3rd July 2007 04:07 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

It's great....if you like dealing with control freaks and bull shit artists.

Well you gotta point the artist are quite shit.. but not all of them. But we have to save this Earth warming thing now or never! Who's with me, huh?
[Edited by Mr Jurkka]
3rd July 2007 04:14 PM
pdog last year s6.6.06 celebrations were much better...
3rd July 2007 04:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
So this saturday is gonna be a big Concert! Around the world for good thing. Who is going to watch it and start to save this planet?

Who's performing at it?
3rd July 2007 05:02 PM
mojoman
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:

borefest
3rd July 2007 05:07 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Who's performing at it?

www.thepolicetour.com

YES !!!!!!

" Al Gore might just be the next President of the United States Ronnie ! "

J. " Snuggles " Fly !

3rd July 2007 05:21 PM
mojoman
quote:
Joey wrote:

www.thepolicetour.com

YES !!!!!!

" Al Gore might just be the next President of the United States Ronnie ! "

J. " Snuggles " Fly !

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack

3rd July 2007 05:30 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Who's performing at it?

http://liveearth.msn.com/concerts/US

See for yourself
3rd July 2007 06:05 PM
Mr Jurkka I read from the paper that its going to last 22 hours?
3rd July 2007 06:35 PM
Gazza Having seen that line-up, it'll only seem like 22 days!
3rd July 2007 06:47 PM
open-g oh - so much pain....

I'll decline
3rd July 2007 06:50 PM
BONOISLOVE I'm so excited, I'm typing this with Bon Jovi!
3rd July 2007 06:56 PM
open-g type a little harder
3rd July 2007 07:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:
I'm so excited, I'm typing this with Bon Jovi!

In that case, do it with your feet and use hobnail boots
3rd July 2007 07:37 PM
mojoman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Having seen that line-up, it'll only seem like 22 days!

oh the humanity
3rd July 2007 07:37 PM
BONOISLOVE
!!

3rd July 2007 07:38 PM
mojoman which one is saint bono doing?
4th July 2007 02:23 AM
marko Load of old bollocks,our coverments says that its cars and
industry thats poisoning our air,but its not,its not just
only trafic.
Noone says nothing about rainforests,in Brasil,where each
year,size of ENGLAND is taken down.
And EVERYONE know,that these forests are the most important
things for eco system,even BUSh knows it.
4th July 2007 10:43 AM
Mr Jurkka Is Al gore trying to save the rainforests?
4th July 2007 11:33 AM
egon i believe it's the terrorists that eat the rainforrest
and blow up the ozon layer.

In any case it is not us. of course not....

4th July 2007 01:36 PM
fireontheplatter i've written the date on my forehead...should be a good show [s]
4th July 2007 01:40 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Who's performing at it?

Charlie Watts and his raving Rolling Stones.
4th July 2007 02:59 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:

Charlie Watts and his raving Rolling Stones.

Never heard
7th July 2007 04:33 AM
mrhipfl Just watched Wolfmother from Sydney. Man these guys rock!
7th July 2007 05:32 AM
pdog There's a Jap ScrEmo band on right now... I'm going to bed!
7th July 2007 05:32 AM
Ten Thousand Motels July 06, 2007
AmericanThinker.com
Al Gore's Live Earth: Has Global Warming Hysteria 'Jumped the Shark'
By John Berlau

This weekend, rock stars will jet around the world, cars and buses will clog traffic, and elaborate sound stages will be set up to burn massive amounts of fuel to send the message to fans at home that they had better conserve their energy or face the allegedly dire threat of global warming.

The Live Earth concerts, which start this Saturday, July 7, are also one last chance for Baby Boomers to relive the "flower power" activism of the '60s. In a recent interview in Rolling Stone, former Vice President Al Gore invoked music icon Bob Dylan to promote the importance of these concerts. Citing Dylan's '60 anthem "The Times They Are A-Changin'". Gore rambled: "What's the old Bob Dylan line? 'Come senators, congressmen, please heed the call/Rattle your windows' - what's the rest of it? - 'for the times they are a-changin'."

But there's just one problem with invoking Dylan to hype the global warming scare. And that is that Dylan himself has expressed skepticism -- to the same magazine -- at the notion that global warming is a catastrophe. When he was asked by Rolling Stone founder and publisher Jann Wenner in the magazine's 40th anniversary issue if he worried about global warming, Dylan replied with an unexpected rejoinder. He asked Wenner, "Where's the global warming? It's freezing here." Wenner, who has blanketed Rolling Stone and his other magazine Men's Journal with doom-and gloom climate change stories (that often bash my organization, the Competitive Enterprise Institute), quickly moved on to other topics after he received his comeuppance.

Yet Dylan's latest statement may signal that in the global warming debate, the times are changing. Even independent-minded celebrities are now questioning the establishment media orthodoxy that the debate over global warming and its effects are all but over. In a phrase familiar to those who study pop culture, it appears that the global warming scare may have "jumped the shark."

"Jump the shark" refers to the precise moment at which a TV program loses momentum or begins the process of losing the element that made the show popular. The phrase comes specifically from an episode of Happy Days in which Fonzie jumps over a shark with water skis. Fans argue that the show became less realistic after that. The web site JumpTheShark.com is dedicated to fans debating the precise moment their favorite programs "jumped the shark."

But "jumping the shark" can also refer to a trend or even a line of argument. And as a post on the web site Moonbattery.com has noted, environmentalists' sky-is-falling global warming rhetoric is jumping the shark because of its inconsistencies and contradictions. Bob Dylan has always been something of an iconoclast and has strayed from the party line more than his liberal fans would like to admit (for a list of examples see the web site RightWingBob.com.). But I think on a basic level, it's hard to convince a man who grew in the bitter cold climate of Hibbing, Minnesota that a few degrees of warming over the next century will be that much of a problem.

Other rock stars are questioning the very purpose of the concert. Bob Geldof, who put together the "Live Aid" concerts of the '80s to combat starvation in Africa, asked: "Why is [Gore] actually organizing them? To make us aware of the greenhouse effect? ... We are all [expletive] conscious of global warming."

Similarly, the Who's Roger Daltrey told the London Sun: "I can't believe it. Let's burn even more fuel." Then, in a rare bit of humility for famous entertainers, Daltrey argued that it's possible that rock stars may not have all the answers. "We have problems with global warming, but the questions and the answers are so huge I don't know what a rock concert's ever going to do to help," he said.

And the latest is from the new band Arctic Monkeys, who expressed skepticism about the concert to the French wire service AFP. "It's a bit patronizing for us 21 year olds to try to start to change the world," drummer Matt Helders said. "Especially when we're using enough power for 10 houses just for (stage) lighting. It'd be a bit hypocritical."

To be sure, not all these musicians are ready to embrace the CEI side of the debate. But acknowledging there are complexities is first step to halting global warming hysteria. What Geldof in particular seemed to realize is that the arguments to stop global warming are persuasive not because warming itself is bad (indeed, there could be many benefits), but of the effects it may allegedly cause, such as the worsening of drought and malaria. Whereas Geldof's Live Aid raised money that directly went to buying food for Africa's poor (although there were some problems with distribution, as there are in many food aid programs), it's unclear how the "Live Earth" concerts will improve anyone's life.

And environmentalists have rejected solutions to the problems they say global warming will worsen. Indeed, as I show in my book Eco-Freaks: Environmentalism Is Hazardous to Your Health, environmentalists have created their own public health crises with many of their "solutions." It was not global warming but the banning of the pesticide DDT -- inspired by the hysterics of Gore's heroine Rachel Carson -- that has led to millions dying of malaria in the Third World.

And there is even a question about how seriously environmentalists take the global warming "threat." After all most eco-groups are opposed to nuclear power, which involves no pollution and carbon dioxide emissions. And they want to shut down the non-polluting dams that provide electricity in the Pacific Northwest, which would result in a sharp increase of the dreaded coal and oil to provide power. These are even bigger hypocrisies than a fuel-burning concert, and provide even more evidence that global warming hysteria is jumping the shark
7th July 2007 10:28 AM
jostorm Fuck, Damien Rice is singing "Que sera, sera", is anyone watching????? What a load of shite!
Global warming is a direct consequence of market globalisation (the human part of it, the rest is simply cyclical sun activity), we should have thought about it before giving thrid world fucktards like the Chinese all our production of absolutely everything. Have you ever tried buying stuff made in your own country?? Not possible, every industry seems to have died at the hands of the cheap chinese production...And about the Chinese: A society which coldly uses political prisoners tissue-matched for organ harvest, rolls tanks over their students, makes women abort every child after their first-born, condones the mureder of baby girls, invades Tibet and proceeds to do world-condoned genocide, and uses parts of endangered animal species dried and ground up to eat for potency issues (and this is a small example of what the chinese do without batting a slitty eyelid!)is going to give a flying fuck about how much shit they plough into the environment.
So, we should have protected our own industries for the past 30 years, paid full-whack for stuff produced by our own skilled people and lifted a finger to the Stanford School of Economics that invented "globalisation", made the USA the economic power it used to be, and now has made the Chinese and Indians the biggest growing producers of environmental shit.
If you wanna save Planet Earth, you'll have to drop some bomb that selectively kills us parasitising human beings. That would work!Staging a concert will do fuck all!
And Al Gore is a pompous arsehole. You wanna save the planet? Swallow some arsenic.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)