ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Happy anniversary Gazza
Today 23 years ago Gazza lost his ears virginity!! Congratulations!!
Slane Castle, Republic of Ireland - 24th July 1982
© 1982 Denis O'Regan
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who should open in NY?? Return to archive
July 19th, 2005 09:23 AM
crb69 I say either the NY Dolls or even the Scissor Sisters in MSG? Check 'em out on AOLmusic @ Live 8. HOT guitar, groovin' band...something new even if it's old?

Suggestions everyone?
July 19th, 2005 09:23 AM
Joey

THE WHO !!!!

July 19th, 2005 09:35 AM
jb Black Crowes
July 19th, 2005 09:35 AM
Monkeytonk-man Dude, I like the idea of the Dolls opening for the Stones, that would be way cool, Of course i'm stuck over here in the UK so it don't really matter much.

I am hoping that they get a kick ass rock band to support on some dates in Europe though, like AC/DC on the last tour

Hope it's not fuckin Reg Dwight though - what a contrast - AC/DC to Elton John. Jesus. what's the world coming to.

Of course there's less chance of the Stones being blown away by the support if they get Reg to do it i suppose. Lots of my mates preffered Acca Dacca when they were special guests on Licks tour
July 19th, 2005 10:30 AM
crb69 The Black Crowes & the Stones would be too hard to 'fathem'!!!

Excellent choice! One of my favorite bands (1995 best year live) lot's of great SBD boots out there. Awesome to have Marc Ford back on the axe! Rich & Marc definitely got that groovy guitar weave-thing happenin'!

I figured a band that is somewhat trendy, yet raunchy & hip enough for NYC...to open for the Stones.
July 19th, 2005 10:34 AM
Gimme Shelter I've got a bad feeling its going to be the Black Eyed Peas.
July 19th, 2005 10:38 AM
Saint Sway Crowes are the dream opener for any city. But New York is Black Crowes Central. It would be a perfect match.

seems like the Stones tend to go for slightly more trendy acts. But its not like they need a trendy band - or any band - to draw for the MSG shows. So it would be cool if the Stones went out on a limb and picked the Crowes.

its a dream. But it probably won't happen.

I just hope its a rockin band. And not a pop act like Black Eyed Peas, Joss Stone or Maroon Five.

Oasis recently rocked the Garden. They proved they could play the venue. So did Wilco last New Years. Either of them would be great.
July 19th, 2005 10:38 AM
jb
quote:
crb69 wrote:
The Black Crowes & the Stones would be too hard to 'fathem'!!!

Excellent choice! One of my favorite bands (1995 best year live) lot's of great SBD boots out there. Awesome to have Marc Ford back on the axe! Rich & Marc definitely got that groovy guitar weave-thing happenin'!

I figured a band that is somewhat trendy, yet raunchy & hip enough for NYC...to open for the Stones.

Agreed..saw them with Petty..that's Rock-n-Roll. Their encore of "Happy" at the Revolution in lauderdale was incredible..also nice covers of Torn and Frayed and Silver Train.
July 19th, 2005 10:41 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
Agreed..saw them with Petty..that's Rock-n-Roll. Their encore of "Happy" at the Revolution in lauderdale was incredible..also nice covers of Torn and Frayed and Silver Train.

IMO, they are the ONLY band that has ever consitently done Stones covers justice. They fuckin nail it every time.

they've been busting out great versions recently of Tumbling Dice, Torn And Frayed, You Gotta Move and Happy.

they are hardcore dedicated and faithful to the Stones 70s sound.
July 19th, 2005 11:28 AM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

IMO, they are the ONLY band that has ever consitently done Stones covers justice. They fuckin nail it every time.

they've been busting out great versions recently of Tumbling Dice, Torn And Frayed, You Gotta Move and Happy.

they are hardcore dedicated and faithful to the Stones 70s sound.

Despite our mutual hatred, we can agreeon this.
July 19th, 2005 11:36 AM
Saint Sway ha! Ha!
dude, I don't hate you.

we do disagree on some Stones related matters. But glad to see you are one of the few enlightened ones here to realize the talents of the Black Crowes.

I just wish that the Stones would listen to the Crowes and remember that THAT'S what rock and roll guitars are supposed to sound like.

those boys sound more Richard's & Taylor than anyone
July 19th, 2005 11:40 AM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
ha! Ha!
dude, I don't hate you.

we do disagree on some Stones related matters. But glad to see you are one of the few enlightened ones here to realize the talents of the Black Crowes.

I just wish that the Stones would listen to the Crowes and remember that THAT'S what rock and roll guitars are supposed to sound like.

those boys sound more Richard's & Taylor than anyone

I was being sarcastic...butyes, the Crowes are about the only band that I can listen too other than the Stones.....
July 19th, 2005 11:55 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:

I was being sarcastic...butyes, the Crowes are about the only band that I can listen too other than the Stones.....

you re often sarcastic
how are you man??
July 19th, 2005 12:03 PM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

you re often sarcastic
how are you man??

Good thank you. Sorry about the heat wave in france. Stay cool.
July 19th, 2005 12:07 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:
Good thank you. Sorry about the heat wave in france. Stay cool.

don't worry it s the same thing every year

thanks for the kind words

oh,and one of my fav album from the Crowes is "by your side"
July 19th, 2005 12:29 PM
FPM C10 The Dolls would be an unbelievable opener. It'll never happen, though. The original Dolls had more than a little resemblance to the Stones, with David Jo and Johnny obviously being guttersnipe glimmer twins.

Back in "the day" the Stones didn't worry about trendy openers - they got Furry Lewis the day off from his job sweeping streets to open for them in Memphis in '75; when James Brown was unavailable, they had Screamin' Jay Hawkins open MSG in '81. NO ONE in the audience knew who he was! I would've loved to have seen THAT show.

"Screamin' Jay is a wild man, so get off my case!" - from Stranger Than Paradise.

Howlin' For Hubert would also be a primo opener.

July 19th, 2005 12:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Get Jerry Lee Lewis to do it.

July 19th, 2005 04:51 PM
glencar Dylan?
July 19th, 2005 05:01 PM
FPM C10
quote:
glencar wrote:
Dylan?

He's done it a couple times before, In South America. He doesn't seem to have a big head about stuff like that.

When I saw the Stones at MSG in '98 Dylan was playing the theater at Madison Square Garden, the smaller venue, at the same time. Outside there was a sign that said

<---Bob Dylan Rolling Stones ---->

And I thought "Damn! It's good to be alive!"

I held my breath for him to show up after his gig, and I guess he was backstage but decided at the last minute not to come out and play. They did "Like A Rolling Stone" without him.

July 19th, 2005 05:06 PM
glencar I was thinking about those BA shows. I'd hate for it to be those names mentioned above.
July 19th, 2005 05:22 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
I was thinking about those BA shows. I'd hate for it to be those names mentioned above.

oh.... c'mon... don't be afraid of The Black Crowes. Sure, they'd show up the Stones with their bad-ass brand of fierce & funky, freak & roll.

but thats no reason to hate for them to open. No need for Stones fans to coward in the corner, in fear that a band has taken the torch from them as bearers of the best rock and roll band and lit up joints and puffed out blazing RAWK!

no sir. No need to be afraid. I say welcome The Black Crowes. and Enjoy the show. It'll be fun!!!!
July 19th, 2005 06:06 PM
glencar I'm sorry, I didn't mean them. I don't like that Remedy song but I like most of what else I've heard from them. I should have specified the pop acts listed above.
July 19th, 2005 06:10 PM
Saint Sway cool. you're OK in my book!

long live rock and roll brother
July 19th, 2005 08:53 PM
luxury1 ME!!, on my maraccas.
July 19th, 2005 09:05 PM
LadyJane
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
ME!!, on my maraccas.

LMFAO....THAT's one opener I WOULD definitely watch!!!

The Crowes would be great...BUT...they'd likely blow the Stones off the stage. I mean, isn't that why we love them so. They sound just like our band did in their heyday.

LJ.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)