ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Happy anniversary Gazza
Today 23 years ago Gazza lost his ears virginity!! Congratulations!!
Slane Castle, Republic of Ireland - 24th July 1982
© 1982 Denis O'Regan
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Marianne Faithfull live - Athens, 15/07/05 Return to archive
July 18th, 2005 03:12 AM
FotiniD In a few words? Midnight summer's dream

She was amazing. I really can't understand people who bash her. She's got a voice that can sing the darkest story and yet bring it around with a sense of wit and irony. Just amazing.

I always find it hard to write a proper review when I've really, really enjoyed the gig I loved listening to "The Mystery of Love" from her new album, I think it's a really powerful song and the resuls of mixing PJ Harvey's work with Marianne's voice and performance are unique. "Don't Forget me" was great, she did a haunting version of "Working Class Hero" and "Guilt" was superb as well. "No child of mine" was a bit weird, cause she had to do both the lead and "second" vocals herself, but it wasn't actually bad, just funny. And what can I really say about "As Tears go By" or "Sister Morphine"?

She also had Lenny Kaye in, for a couple or three songs, which was a lovely surprise. I got some pictures but my stupid camera decided to go bananas right when I needed it most and only two came out - I'll try posting them tonight or tomorrow morning and I might have some audio samples as well, we'll see

Marianne was wearing a leather jacket over a white shirt and she seemed to be getting hot - after all, it's July and it's Athens, it's bound to be hot. So a guy from the audience shouts "take it off". She turns around, looks at him and complaints that she won't look good if she takes it off. The guy replies "You'll look beautiful!" and she says "Yeah, you think you're going to see Girl on a Motorbike, right?"

And that's it! I got to shake hands with her, so the teenage fan in me is very satisfied I only wish more people had come to the gig. Maybe it had to do with the fact that the week was full of gigs earlier on, but still, more people would be good.

Well, till the next time!
July 18th, 2005 05:37 AM
thejuf thanks for posting this! it is good to hear that she is in good shape.
here is a pic I took of Amsterdam's gig, 1 June, Paradiso

July 18th, 2005 05:40 AM
FotiniD Good pic Juf, thanks

Since you mentioned "good shape" and all - she did sing beautifully and I had no complaint (ok, maybe she can't hit it very high on "Times Square" like she used to, but it's only natural) but she did seem to be a little tired. Maybe it's cause she had another gig the night before as well, but there was a guy who held her to climb up on stage and she wasn't moving very much. I hope she doesn't exhaust herself again like earlier this year!
July 18th, 2005 05:44 AM
Gazza I'm going to see her in October. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the review. Its good to see shes in good form and well again
July 19th, 2005 02:54 AM
FotiniD

Audio coming soon
July 19th, 2005 03:03 AM
gypsy I love your review, Fotini! Your pics turned out great too. I am sorry you had problems with your camera.
I am happy for you that you got to shake Marianne's hand.
Thanks for the review and the photos!
July 19th, 2005 08:01 AM
glencar I think I shall buy the newest CD. Marianne & PJ Harvey - how can you go wrong?
July 19th, 2005 09:12 AM
FotiniD
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think I shall buy the newest CD. Marianne & PJ Harvey - how can you go wrong?

Highly recommended Glencar. It's not "easy", I mean, it sort of grows in you, but an amazing work nevertheless. There're also songs by Nick Cave ("Desperado" is my favorite) and Damon Albarn.

July 20th, 2005 08:04 AM
LadyJane Good review, Fotini. Thanks.

Now when you shook her hand I hope you slipped her an invite to join the ROCC??? She'd fit right in, no??

I love Marianne...glad you got to see her perform.

LJ.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)