ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Happy anniversary Gazza
Today 23 years ago Gazza lost his ears virginity!! Congratulations!!
Slane Castle, Republic of Ireland - 24th July 1982
© 1982 Denis O'Regan
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: no clubs in the US Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 18th, 2005 07:02 AM
Gazza
quote:
hotlicks wrote:
Let's start a boycott of the tour........that will the teach the bastards !!!!!

only Glenmen do 'boycotts', Denis...

doubt it'll 'teach' them anyway. They've sold enough tickets already to make it extremely lucrative.
July 18th, 2005 07:45 AM
Bitch I've been saving my presale RS membership code for a club show!! Oh shit this really sucks!! I knew the Beacon Theatre was OUT because it was sold to a hospital, but I was patiently waiting for an announcement of the other theatre dates, checking in every day, hoping I didn't miss it and all the tickets sold out in less than 20 seconds like MSG.

SHIT If I knew this I would have tried for another US show. I'll now have to continue to wait for the next announcement for more dates. Wonder when that will be? DAMN! They probably realized a 1000 seat theatre show the tickets would have to be $10,000 a piece to make the kind of money that an arena would bring in. It's all about the money then??
July 18th, 2005 08:17 AM
luxury1 I am calling it the "half-assed tour"

They just dont seem "ready" to roll this one out. It reeks of Cohl enticing them with $$ to go back on the road, and now they are half-assed about pulling it all together. It IS lacking all the hoopla and excitement of past tours. I have never seen anything like this with the tickets--it is so hap-hazard, and nothing makes sense.
Then I think back on my first tour--Tour of the AMericas--pretty lame title there too, I thought. I couldnt win tickets from any radio station; being 15, I coulndt drive to TM to stand in line at 4 am, but I was lucky enough to get something finally, behind the stage. I was thrilled. Maybe with the internet we have too much information at our fingertips--we are now spoiled and jaded. ANd in our "old age" are expecting more and more from the Stones. I dont know. All I do know is that something just doesnt seem "right" this time round. I am hoping all these negative feelings will dissipate once they hit the stage...
July 18th, 2005 08:42 AM
gimmekeef I really dont know why anyone takes this as a surprise.The clubs were just for the DVD sales last time and something a little unique.This time its about a few folks sitting somewhere on or close to the stage.When they can grab $12 million for one night in Soldier Field why would they play a night at the Aragon for nothin!.Now we hear there are rehearsing in Toronto perhpas as short as 3 weeks...Well that says Warhorses to me...
July 18th, 2005 08:58 AM
blackandblue Glad I didn't buy a membership. I've had enough of this bunch of crooks. The sad part is the Stones evidently agree with these dark practices. Musically they are at least for 30 years at a dead end so they have decided to become common businessmen. Unfortunately they're better in making money than in making good music these days. So they will end up as businessmen.
July 18th, 2005 09:16 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I really dont know why anyone takes this as a surprise.The clubs were just for the DVD sales last time and something a little unique.

dont see how you can equate a dozen theatre shows with sales of a DVD as only one of them made it onto the DVD. when they were thinking of the "fruit of the loom" concept, I genuinely think they were trying to inject some new life into the format of the shows they usually did.

reason why this is a "surprise" is simple. The press conference and ads for the fan club specifically mentioned theatre shows and we even were told the prices of tickets and how many we could buy in a pre-sale.

I agree with Luxy. Usually at this stage before a tour, I'm really getting into the excitement and build up to it. For the first time ever, I'm completely underwhelmed so far.
July 18th, 2005 09:23 AM
gimmekeef Gazza, I agree totally..The buzz for this tour is very low.The hardcore fans like those here are pissed off.I have extra tickets in 30th row for Toronto.In past tours my phone would be ringing for those.This time the casual fan says>>"Oh another Stones tour?"....If the album is not a stellar release and the On Stage thing comes off lame this tour is in for a rough ride...
July 18th, 2005 09:25 AM
mac_daddy
i go through waves of excitement and disappointment...

i think fenway might be a blast, but part of me thinks it might sloppy, and not worth it, and that i should cash out of that one...

the hollywood bowl is exciting, but not nearly as much if they are gonna add another show there...

the prospect of a palladium show was very exciting, but everyone seems to think the odds are uber-long on that one. i still hold out hope until i hear official word to the contrary, but i am not overly optomistic; in fact, i am trying not to think of it at all...

and the front part of the floor at anaheim is likely as good as a stadium can get...

so i was very excited...

but then i think of the disjointed effort that seems to be unfolding, and i start to think there is something to the "half-assed" angle, and that they wont be ready in a little over a month's time.

quote:
reason why this is a "surprise" is simple. The press conference and ads for the fan club specifically mentioned theatre shows and we even were told the prices of tickets and how many we could buy in a pre-sale.

this is the part that rubs me the wrong way, too. it is also the only source of hope that still exists...
July 18th, 2005 09:56 AM
luxury1 well said, macdaddy. I, too, am suffering from excitment/disappointment in waves since the PC. I dont know what to think. ANd how come no word on those "seats on the stage??" Wouldnt it be nice to know how to win/buy tix and to what shows?? WHat the hell is going on? What if you have tix already to the show you may "win" stage seats for?? I dont get any of this. ANd I am kinda pissed at not knowing how this is gonna unfold. THen I think that possibly the Stones/Cohl dont know either. But of course they know, then why dont they announce something? It reeks of underhandedness--and I resent feeling like Pavlov's dog.
July 18th, 2005 10:02 AM
GimmeExile
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

i go through waves of excitement and disappointment...

i think fenway might be a blast, but part of me thinks it might sloppy, and not worth it, and that i should cash out of that one...

Opening night is both exhilarating and frustrating. To see something that is fresh and untouched by comments and analysis is great. Attending opening night shows, like watching advance screenings of movies, ensures that you'll form your own opinion and experience the concert in the moment. As you said, most bands require a few shows to get their groove right. The Hartford show should be incredible.

I'll be extremely disappointed if they scratch the Palladium show (not that it was ever official). A tour that features mostly stadium shows at exorbitant ticket prices shatters my excitement. The good news is that it makes the Licks tour even more legendary and special and furthers my gratitude that I saw several shows in all three different venue types.

July 18th, 2005 11:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Gazza, I agree totally..The buzz for this tour is very low.The hardcore fans like those here are pissed off.I have extra tickets in 30th row for Toronto.In past tours my phone would be ringing for those.This time the casual fan says>>"Oh another Stones tour?"....If the album is not a stellar release and the On Stage thing comes off lame this tour is in for a rough ride...

I'll correct something I said earlier

When the tour was announced on 10th May, I was pretty excited because there seemed to be many good things to emerge from it (not least of all a very good performance at the press conference itself)

1) Cohl said that 95% of the tickets for the stadiums and arenas would average at around $99 - $110. That turned out to be utter bullshit which simply doesnt add up when you see crap seats in the stands being offered for over $300 and anything under $160 being almost impossible to find in some arenas

2) Cohl mentioned theatre shows going for $50 a ticket. Doesnt appear to be happening. At all.

3) After the fiascos of recent years, the fan club seemed to finally offer a reasonably fair system which offered fans a decent shot at tickets for many shows (and money back if you didnt buy presales). Then they sell tickets with obstructed views on presales, make sneaky arrangements to hold tickets back to make gullible and desperate fans panic buy $450 tickets thinking thats all they can get - and then release loads of other tickets at a later date. Criminals.

4) the "onstage" thing. It seemed most tickets would go to contest winners. No more word about it, since and the first show is a month away. Has it been scrapped? Are they just going to be sold off to the highest bidders? What happens if you have a ticket for the show already and 'win' the onstage seats?

5) The fucking album. Theres no excuse for NOT getting an album out in time for the start of a tour. Especially in the 'back to basics' manner its been recorded and the length of time theyve been working on it on and (mostly) off.. Bad planning commercially, which smacks of the whole thing being half arsed and only put out as a product to help promote a tour. Plus, by now there should be more buzz about this impending release. I'm loathe to use U2 as a comparison but they really hyped their new record brilliantly months in advance, building up anticipation.

Whoever is responsible for the Stones' publicity and A&R doesnt seem to give a shit.
July 18th, 2005 11:45 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

it was easy to tell he was lying at the press conference.

His lips moved.

Mind you, Cohl's a businessman pure and simple. I dont expect him to be that driven by artistic integrity, so its not as big a lie as Keith's nonsensical 'man of the people' - style "you can keep the money, pal" bullshit

Cohl needs an immediate 17K sellout .

www.omahameca.com
July 18th, 2005 11:50 AM
Gazza as a great man once said :

"keep the faith" !
July 18th, 2005 11:51 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
as a great man once said :

"keep the faith" !

I DESPISE Bon Jovi and am now quite visibly shaken to the core .

Why ?!?! ... WHY ?!?!

July 18th, 2005 11:53 AM
gimmekeef Gazza stated "Whoever is responsible for the Stones' publicity and A&R doesnt seem to give a shit"....Wouldnt that be ultimately Mick&Keith?..and I agree with all the competition out on the road and in record stores/online you'd think they'd be more savvy or doing there usual hype thing....Guess they already have the money in so....I guess I'll just hope that the new album is so good they dont feel a need to hype it up....(fingers way crossed here)
July 18th, 2005 12:39 PM
hotlicks When is the release date for the new album?
July 18th, 2005 12:58 PM
Nellcote Keep repeating...
It's the Stones....
Prior to last tour, there were not any theatre shows
that were sold as such on a tour wide scale, only
suprise gigs at theatres. Difference this time is the promoter promised theatre gigs, to date he's not delivered..
It's the Stones....
Cohl is a promoter, who, after reflection, would seem to have spoken in forked tongues. He's in charge of a circus, which IMO might have outgrown HIM.
It's the Stones.....
At the end of the day, IMO, sit back, see what happens.
With THE Stones, something always seems to work out....
July 18th, 2005 01:10 PM
ListenToTheLion I think this all might lead to a great disappointment: no theatres = no 'obscure' songs but only big stadium concerts with a lot of warhorses. This is not very attractive any more. The club shows of the Licks Tour were in fact the only interesting performances musically spoken. But if they decide to play only stadiums I might for the first time in my life not attend any show at all.
Not again Satisfaction, IORR, Brown Sugar, JJF and Start me Up in a row!
July 18th, 2005 01:17 PM
gimmekeef Surely the band must know that at $450 (or even $60)! a piece people are gonna expect a helluva show.My concern with that is we'll see more pyrotechnics at the stadiums and less obscure and interesting setlists.The sound is my prime concern...hopefully something new thats over the top interms of quality and clearness...(and a piano mute button for me)
July 18th, 2005 01:22 PM
littleredrooster Order EARLY and OFTEN!!!

Raging Roostah's ROTTEN FRUIT Ltd

I buy by the boxcar, you save !!!

Get plenty of items to hurl at the stage!
Double your money back if you hit Cohl and take a picture to use as a Rock's Off Header!!!!!

FREE SHIPPING for RO members in good standing!!!
July 18th, 2005 01:29 PM
voodoopug
quote:
hotlicks wrote:
When is the release date for the new album?

9-6-05 US
9-5-05 Europe
July 18th, 2005 01:42 PM
monkey_man I'm bummed. . .no club gig on this tour??!! I was fortunate enough to have the golden ticket on the last tour to see them at Roseland. I only bought the membership this time to potentially score a club gig!(also not a $450 ticket)
July 18th, 2005 01:53 PM
FPM C10
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
I'm bummed. . .no club gig on this tour??!! I was fortunate enough to have the golden ticket on the last tour to see them at Roseland. I only bought the membership this time to potentially score a club gig!(also not a $450 ticket)

SUPPOSEDLY if you don't get the ticket you want you can get a refund for your club membership.

I say "supposedly" because everything else we were told about the tour was a lie, so why not this?

Here in America we expect to be lied to - in fact some of us demand it! With that in mind, I hereby nominate Michael Cohl for the Medal of Freedom!

"OK...who farted?"
July 18th, 2005 01:59 PM
Joey " IORR reports that there won't be any clubshows in the US. "

July 18th, 2005 07:16 PM
Soldatti
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
I'm bummed. . .no club gig on this tour??!! I was fortunate enough to have the golden ticket on the last tour to see them at Roseland. I only bought the membership this time to potentially score a club gig!(also not a $450 ticket)

Welcome to the Rolling Stones Inc. world.
July 18th, 2005 07:28 PM
luxury1 Gazza--you have summed it all up well, above.

However, I am still hanging limply on a shred of hope that SOMETHING grand/magical will happen this tour. Yes, Nellcote, its the Stones, aint it??!!
July 18th, 2005 09:57 PM
stonedinaustralia given they are unliekly to head my way my opinion on the whoel thing is fairly moot except to say that if the shows are something out of the ordinary it will be worthwhile tracking down boots or purchasing the inevitable DVD

if there are to be no club shows then i can appreciate all the comments above expressing feelings ranging from disappointment to anger

what i'd like them to do, given the tour is happening on the back of a new album release, is to do sets heavliy made up of the new material

i mean if they release the new album but include perhaps only one or two new songs in the live sets with the balance made up of the predictable "war horses" then, i'm afraid to say, the band would come down a long way in my estimation
July 18th, 2005 10:19 PM
mac_daddy

well - no club gig in socal.

they just announced/posted a second date at the hollywood bowl...

damn.
July 19th, 2005 07:58 AM
glencar They indeed need to do plenty of new material but the last time they had a new CD they rolled the new stuff out very slowly.
July 19th, 2005 09:56 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
They indeed need to do plenty of new material but the last time they had a new CD they rolled the new stuff out very slowly.

It doesn't matter what they do-this is the last tour and I trust they will maximize profits and not worry too much about fan compalints...they sales are somewhat flat for a Stones tour, and the album will likely only sell 1-1.4 million domestically ...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)