ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Happy anniversary Gazza
Today 23 years ago Gazza lost his ears virginity!! Congratulations!!
Slane Castle, Republic of Ireland - 24th July 1982
© 1982 Denis O'Regan
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones connection in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (SSC) Return to archive
July 15th, 2005 08:17 PM
Monkey Woman Believe it if you want, but Johnny Depp said he copied Brian Jones's haircut for his character Willy Wonka in the film!

For Depp, part of the fun was coming up with his character's unique look. Using the illustrations from Dahl's book as a reference, Depp conceived the idea of wearing blue contacts and a top hat. He also sports a bob haircut, inspired by the late Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones, Depp reveals. (Coincidentally, the Stones' Keith Richards served as the source of Depp's portrayal of Capt. Jack for "Pirates." Could a Mick Jagger improv be far behind?)"

http://www.suntimes.com/output/movies/wkp-news-depp15.html
July 15th, 2005 08:23 PM
glencar Those sunglasses also ape the Stones' look.
July 16th, 2005 01:40 PM
Bruno Stone Somebody has a pic of Johnny and Keith together?
July 16th, 2005 02:47 PM
Dutch Michael D. IMO Depp goes too far with imitating the stones, the rolling stones have nothing to do with hollywood movies. Mr. Depp, leave those boys alone. and mr. Richards, please don't play in that walt disney movie!! you're Keith Richards, not elvis presly.
July 16th, 2005 03:12 PM
JaggerLips Is Depp wanting to sleep with the Rolling Stones or something?
July 16th, 2005 04:26 PM
glencar Depp is a huge Stones fan. This movie had a pretty good review in yesterday's paper. Enjoy it for what it is.
July 17th, 2005 12:32 AM
FPM C10 Another slight but cool Stones connection: Veruca Salt's dad is played by James Fox.

It's a pretty cool movie. We just went to see it tonight. Can't compare it to anything except the original movie, and this one beats that by a mile in terms of art direction and weirdness. I guess the plot follows Dahl's original book but I don't know - haven't read it.

Strange flick. Strange works for me. If you like gritty realism you better skip it, though.
July 17th, 2005 02:06 AM
mac_daddy james fox..?

is that the guy from performance..? i thought he was dead.
July 17th, 2005 08:53 AM
FPM C10
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
james fox..?

is that the guy from performance..?

The same.

quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i thought he was dead.

No. I believe he retired for a long time after Performance because his head was screwed up from the experience, but in the past several years he's shown up in a lot of movies as a stuffy upper-crust Englishman.
July 17th, 2005 01:59 PM
kath thankfully, johnny had not seen the bust of brian jones prior to making this movie....
July 17th, 2005 04:48 PM
glencar Over at another board I post at, they all seem to think the Depp portrayal is based on MJ - no, not Mick Jagger but...Michael Jackson. It's enough to make me a liberal!
July 17th, 2005 07:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Over at another board I post at, they all seem to think the Depp portrayal is based on MJ - no, not Mick Jagger but...Michael Jackson.

I read that somewhere on the net but it wasn't on a message board. I didn't pay much attention to it.
July 18th, 2005 12:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels DEPP DENIES BASING WONKA ON JACKSON

Actor JOHNNY DEPP has slammed reports he based his eccentric character WILLY WONKA on troubled singer MICHAEL JACKSON - insisting the colourful role was based on a selection of children's TV show presenters.

Depp says Jackson, who was acquitted of child molestation charges last month (JUN05), would be the wrong person to base the CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY character on, because the THRILLER star loves kids, while Wonka dislikes them.

He says, "It never entered my mind, Michael Jackson loves children but Willy Wonka doesn't."

The true inspirations were TV hosts CAPTAIN KANGAROO, MR ROGERS and UNCLE AL, who mesmerised Depp as a child.

He adds, "There were memories I have as a little kid watching children's shows and children show hosts. I distinctly remember thinking their speech pattern was strange."

18/07/2005 02:05
contact music
July 19th, 2005 12:17 PM
Jeep It's true !

July 19th, 2005 12:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels What is it with Depp??? Doesn't he know that an unnatural obsession with the Rolling Stones is unhealthy.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)