ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Happy anniversary Gazza
Today 23 years ago Gazza lost his ears virginity!! Congratulations!!
Slane Castle, Republic of Ireland - 24th July 1982
© 1982 Denis O'Regan
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: it really IS bill wyman week... Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 15th, 2005 11:13 AM
Maxlugar [quote]FPM C10 wrote:
An unhinged dissenting opinion on Bill:

Bill is a spud. His bass playing is clunky and not terribly rhythmic - in a word, WHITE. (Sorry if that offends Max, who has become very PC lately.) Bill wouldn't know a groove if it knocked his wig off. The rhythm section of the Stones during Bill's tenure was Charlie and KEITH. I would bet two American dollars that none of the people lauding Bill's skills in this thread are bass players or drummers, because we KNOW Bill's a spud.

On top of being the least capable member of the band musically he was also the most boring. He lived through the 60s and 70s with the freaking Rolling Stones and then published a book of laundry lists and bank statements to reflect HIS take on it. Many of the REALLY great basslines in Stones songs from this period were played by Keith or Mick Taylor.

He belly-ached about not getting a chance to submit material for the Stones, yet in a career spanning five decades he has produced nothing on his own except embarrassing drivel. His solo albums are among the worst albums ever released; the promo films that accompanied them make Benny Hill look like Buster Keaton.

He QUIT the Rolling Stones in order to open a hamburger stand and scour the countryside with his metal detector. He was tired of playing with the world's greatest rock and roll band yet put together a gang of capable has-beens that reminds one of a second rate version of Ringo's All-Starr Band*. (*denotes irony) In this "band" Bill is once again the least capable member, yet for some reason their embarrassing albums come out under his name. Well, actually the reason is that Bill was once a Rolling Stone, and even though he never misses an opportunity to badmouth the band, he also never misses an opportunity to make a quick buck off his former relationship with them.

Although I often berate Mick Taylor as "Mick The Quitter", his post-Stones "career" and demeanor are positively commendable in comparison.

In the interest of fairness I will now list things I like about Bill:

Those cool "dive bomber" runs at the end of "19th Nervous Breakdown".

Cool see-thru Ampeg Dan Armstrong bass he played on '72 tour.

Mildly funny in "Video Rewind" linking segments.

If I think of any more I'll add them later. Don't hold your breath, though.

Are you available for kids parties?

What a ray of sunshine folks!
July 15th, 2005 11:45 AM
FPM C10 I don't remember asking for your approval.

Am I not allowed an opinion? Sorry that I don't like Bill, but he's a fucking lump! And I also closed with all the positive things I could think of to say about Bill. Did you want me to say "Man those Rythm Kings albums ROCK MY WORLD"? " 'Si Si Je Suis Un Rock Star' " is pure GENIUS!"?

I didn't say YOU weren't allowed to like him!

I bet he does a great version of Freebird!

You fucking guys kill me. Proper response to criticism of dimwitted President: personal attacks.

Proper response to criticism of dimwitted bass player: personal attacks.

I didn't say YOU were a spud, son. I said IN MY OPINION, Bill is.

Try to keep your composure, Lugar. You're losing it.
July 15th, 2005 07:58 PM
BrianJonesForever Was Mandy an anorexic? I mean, she looks it in that pic.
July 17th, 2005 08:49 PM
sammy davis jr. If Bill's bass playing is so white, why the fuck does Daryl Jones' bass sound so fucking lame with Charlie? I'm a seasoned musician, and I think Bill was a great bass player, at least for the Stones. Even Daryl has said his bass lines were cool. Bill put the bop and the bounce in the rythymn section. All the other stuff I agree with. He couldn't write a song to save his life, and couldn't sing either.
July 17th, 2005 09:15 PM
Nasty Habits I'm with Sammy Davis Jr. on this one, FPM. There is a fundamental change in the rhythm sound of the Rolling Stones from the 1990 tour to the 1994 tour, and even though I'm not a fan of 1990 boards as a general rule, I detect an element of swing and natural musicality that I find absent in most performances from 1994 forward. And certainly Wyman's style directly meshes with the other WHITE boys in the band that tore through the world thru 1982. Bill's style notably progresses through the 80s and to my ears by '81 he is playing in a uniquely funky, interesting way that proudly shows no fear for the demigods in control of his career. Maybe it's a time, place and seniority thing, but Bill is IN the band making the music while Darryl just thrums along in a way that to me levels the band and robs it of its bounce.
July 18th, 2005 02:25 PM
FPM C10 OK. My bad.

BTW, are either of you guys bass players or drummers? If so, please PM me a mailing address so I can send you $2.
July 18th, 2005 05:06 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
OK. My bad.

BTW, are either of you guys bass players or drummers? If so, please PM me a mailing address so I can send you $2.

Now THAT is postin' folks .
July 18th, 2005 09:16 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
OK. My bad.

I'll be happy to send you may paypal address and my hours logged in band practice, if that'll help shore up my credentials.

Since when did musicians have the monopoly on being able to hear and understand music, Mr. Peanut on his Shoulder?

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)