ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bravo Magazine - Germany 1982 with thanks to TT aka TooTough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New York Dolls -- A Band Cursed. Return to archive
14th July 2004 07:22 PM
Nasty Habits Arthur 'Killer' Kane, bassist with the recently reformed New York Dolls, has died.

According to the band's biographer Nina Antonia, he passed away at a hospital near his Los Angeles home on Monday at 3pm.

He died of leukaemia, though didn't know he suffering from the condition - he told Nina on Monday morning that he thought he "had a bad case of 'flu".

He was one of just three original members in the reformed band along with David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain.

Nina told 6 Music that at least he'd realised his ambition of the Dolls reforming in his lifetime.

She said: "It's unbelievably cruel. But on the other hand, he did get to have the reunion, which was his deam. And I believe that before the London shows Arthur, David and Sylvain prayed together and Arthur lead the prayer, so it's very touching."

The rest of the band are understood to be "in shock" at the news.

The band reformed at the behest of their most famous fan Morrissey to play at his Meltdown Festival at London's Royal Festival Hall last month - and the project was so successful, they planned a clutch more dates, including the Move Festival in Manchester at the weekend.

Sadly, Arthur had already fallen ill by that stage and was replaced in the line-up. It's not yet known whether the scheduled gigs in the future, such as at the Reading and Leeds festivals in August will now go ahead or not.

Jody Thompson
14th July 2004 08:22 PM
Gazza In the name of good Christ, what next?

they were scheduled to be the support act for the White Stripes outdoor show here in Belfast in late August. I suppose that appearance is out the window now as well. Who could blame them if it is, I suppose.

That's too bad.

14th July 2004 10:02 PM
jpenn11 Sorry to see you go, Arthur, hope you're playing with Johnny and Jerry again.
14th July 2004 11:49 PM
Phog That surely does suck. Uncut magazine did a fairly nice article on them a month or so back. RIP Arthur.
15th July 2004 12:12 AM
Sir Stonesalot Shit.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

SHIT!

My condolences to Art's family and friends.

I will miss him at the Underground Garage Festival on Aug 14th.
15th July 2004 12:14 AM
glencar Damn! They were a better Stones tribute band than Aerosmith! RIP Arthur.
15th July 2004 05:02 AM
FotiniD I'm repeating myself, but I told you, this must be the worst year in ages! Just count all the bad things / deaths etc. that happened in music and generally in 2004. And we're still in the middle.

RIP Arthur
15th July 2004 05:17 AM
Moonisup
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
I'm repeating myself, but I told you, this must be the worst year in ages! Just count all the bad things / deaths etc. that happened in music and generally in 2004. And we're still in the middle.

RIP Arthur

yeah you're right about that, alot of them are passing away, very sad!

Rik
16th July 2004 11:29 AM
Martha I heard the news late last night. How sad.

Arthur didn't know how ill he was until (almost) the end? Wow. I hope that was somehow a blessing that he didn't have to suffer or linger.

R.I.P.

with sympathy and peace,
Martha