ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bravo Magazine - Germany 1982 with thanks to TT aka TooTough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Memory Motel and Annie Leibowitz Return to archive
11th July 2004 01:09 PM
MrPleasant Some link I found in a Annie Liebowitz recent article. The "Peter" in question is Peter Beard, an artist acquaintanced with Andy Warhol. The whole text appears in:

http://www.montauklife.com/history_warhol.html

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN - THE ROLLING STONES!

The next day Peter invited the exhausted Mick and bride Bianca, to visit his house In Montauk for a quick R&R. They flew into Montauk airport and spent the next few days relaxing at the shore, water skiing on Lake Montauk, and walking the beach. It was an introduction to Montauk that would lead to a much longer stay.

By the spring of 1975, the Stones were in the midst of planning their next American tour. What better place to cool out and prepare, than quiet Montauk? Andy rented Mick and the boys the compound for a princely sum of $ 5,000 a month, and the Stones began rehearsals for what would become Black and Blue. As was then reported: "Throughout April sensationally loud music welled through the windows, into the ruts and hollows over the tangled crab-grass of an estate in Montauk. Long Island. Residents of the Ditch Plains trailer park were woken in the night - yapping dogs, even wolves, the loud grief of coyotes. From East Hampton to New York the word spread with the ferocity of a brush fire: the Rolling Stones were rehearsing!"

Andy and Jagger first met in 1963, when the Stones were invited to play a birthday party for then Warhol starlet, Baby Jane Holzer, at the New York Academy of Music. Over the years the artistically inclined Jagger kept tabs on the musically inclined Warhol. Mick was such an admirer, that in 1972 when the Stones formed their own record company, they tapped Andy to design their logo. With characteristic flair Andy came up with the stylized Jagger mouth and tongue that would grace all their albums. Andy also designed the infamous cover for that year's release, Sticky Fingers - a cover shot of Jagger from the hips down, in skin tight jeans, with a fully working zippered crotch!

Andy visited the boys often that Summer. Although the Stones tried to keep a low profile, their fans found their hide away. Andy remembers - "Mick Jagger really put Montauk on the map. All the motels were overflowing with groupies. Two girls with no hair and black cats on leashes followed them all the way to Montauk. Mr. Winters - the caretaker of the estate - found them hiding in the bushes!"

At times the attention went beyond mere fan worship. Andy remembers playing with Mick and Bianca's then 4 year old daughter, Jade. As he often did with small children he delighted in showing her how to draw and paint. At one point Andy was searching for some material, opened a drawer and much to his surprise found a loaded gun. Jade said - "That's my daddy's!" Turned out, Jagger was being hounded by a pair of Rolling Stones obsessed fans that summer, and felt the need for a little extra protection.

Little Jade was Andy's favorite Jagger - "I love Mick and Bianca, but Jade's more my speed. I taught her how to color and she showed me how to play Monopoly. She was four and I was forty-four. Mick got jealous. He said I was a bad influence because I gave her champagne."

One of Mick's favorite hang outs that summer was the Shagwong on Main Street. A little rougher around the edges in those days, it's main attractions were a pool table and a juke box full of rock and roll. Only problem was, the only Stones tune on it was the by then golden oldie "Get Off My Cloud". They'd play it every time Mick came in for a drink. One night Mick had enough. After 10 Pina Coladas, and the same number of "Get Off My Cloud", Mick got off his bar stool, put a quarter in the box, punched up the classic disco tune - " Stand, Stand, Stand" - and started singing along. The whole place got quiet at first, and then exploded.

Now as then, Jimmy Hewitt owned the Shagwong. He remembers Mick and Bianca would come in once or twice a week. "They were great for business. We had girls camped out three deep up and down the sidewalk waiting for them!" Mick would take up a stool at the end of the bar, where he's sit with his private bottle of Grand Marnier. Bianca would waltz into the kitchen to pick out dinner, and kibitz with the crew. She'd roll up the sleeves of her Yves Saint Laurent dresses and open clams. Many nights after closing, Mick would invite Jimmy back to the hose to hear the Stones rehearse. The only problem was the nocturnal Stones wouldn't even start 2 or 3 in the morning. By then it was time for Jimmy to go home.

Of course one of the indelible remains of the Stones stay in Montauk, is the song "The Memory Motel". Named for the bar and motel of same name, this lament for a lost girl has become one of the Stones signature tunes.

"Hannah honey was a peachy kind of girl
Her eyes were hazel
And her nose were slightly curved
We spent a lonely night at the Memory Motel
It's on the ocean, I guess you know it well
It took a starry to steal my breath away
Down on the water front
Her hair all drenched in spray"
(Jagger/Richards - C- Rolling Stones/Virgin Records 1975 )

As atmospheric a tune as it was, the truth is, the Memory Motel was not the center of the Stones stay in Montauk. Peter Beard remembers taking Mick there one afternoon, with disastrous results. It seems the owners, an older couple, didn't much care for the Stones. The bartender as much as told Jagger that to his face. So far as Peter can remember, that was the only time they set foot in the place! As for the "honey of a girl" mentioned in the song, it wasn't some lovely Montauk lass Mick was pining after, but the Stones traveling photographer, Annie Liebowitz.

One girl who many in Montauk pined for, was a certain Barbara Allen. The pretty young wife of Joe Allen, one of Andy's Interview backers, Barbara attracted attention where ever she went. Years before she and Peter had a fling. That summer married Mick seemed to find her company very enjoyable. According to Bob Colacello, he was inadvertently present at a night time rendezvous while staying at Peter Beard's house. One hot summer's night he was dropping off to a peaceful night's sleep, when through the open window comes none other than Mick! Seemed he's mistaken Bob's room, for Barbara Allen's. Poor Bob, it was the closest he'd get to having a rock and roll star in his bed that summer.
11th July 2004 01:36 PM
Main Offender Thanks for the article. I read it but I don't think I saw that Andy was Jade's godfather!! Maybe I missed that part, if so please forgive.
11th July 2004 01:39 PM
Monkey Woman Cool article, even if there are a few inaccuracies. Peter Beard also did some very impressive photos of the Stones in 1972. He got on well with Mick, but Keith did some practical jokes on him. Like putting sleeping pills in his drink...
11th July 2004 02:24 PM
MrPleasant Thanks fellas. And that sleeping pills thing is hilarious.

It's been almost 30 years. Maybe they should 'jump back' into the lakes, for inspiration... Or maybe not: "Mr. Jinx and Miss Lucy they... jumped in the lake".
11th July 2004 06:45 PM
Gazza >Andy and Jagger first met in 1963, when the Stones were invited to play a birthday party for then Warhol starlet, Baby Jane Holzer, at the New York Academy of Music.

wah? 1963? I dont fink so!

Nice article tho' - thanks
12th July 2004 07:23 AM
Zack And it's not Mick's loins on the SF cover.
12th July 2004 10:35 AM
glencar Annie Leibowitz is now a big time lesbian. She's partnered with Susan Sontag. Or was. They've broken up.