ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bravo Magazine - Germany 1982 with thanks to TT aka TooTough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith at Gram Parsons tribute last night in Santa Barbara Return to archive
10th July 2004 01:01 PM
Gazza Posted by sawbelly on IORR

Keith played

Love Hurts (duet with Norah Jones)
Hickory Wind
Wild Horses

James Burton (excellent guitarist who played with Elvis Presley and others) was in the backing band. Most of the lineup was out there for Wild Horses, including a gospel choir. People traded verses, Steve Earle sang one. Keith played acoustic and did a nice job. Seemed to know most of the words. Made a few comments about Gram trying to keep up with him and Keith being the lucky one to survive. Excellent show. Dwight Yoakam and Steve Earle were fabulous. LA will be fun tonight.

Reviews from any RO regulars are much anticipated!
10th July 2004 01:16 PM
Cardinal Fang Payphone Al, Queen Of The Underground, SheRat & I are driving from San Francisco to the show tonight in Los Angeles. We're leaving in about 2 hours. I've had about 2 hours of sleep. I will not be driving so I can catch up.

I will try to post when I get home.

I can't wait to see John Doe, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams as well.

Later, Cardinal Fang
10th July 2004 01:33 PM
gypsy I'll be awaiting your review. Damn, I wish I could go!
10th July 2004 01:48 PM
Bloozehound John Doe lol!

And you guys get on Kid Rock's case for being lucky to share the stage with greatness.

I hate to burst your bubble chief, Raul Malo of the Mavericks will also be present. He's 1 of the finest musicians currently alive on planet Earth.

It's gonna be a great concert, you guys enjoy.
10th July 2004 01:52 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Cardinal Fang wrote:
Payphone Al, Queen Of The Underground, SheRat & I are driving from San Francisco to the show tonight in Los Angeles. We're leaving in about 2 hours. I've had about 2 hours of sleep. I will not be driving so I can catch up.

I will try to post when I get home.

I can't wait to see John Doe, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams as well.

Later, Cardinal Fang

you dont have an extra ticket, do you..?
10th July 2004 03:05 PM
Dan I will be hanging out but might not go in, maybe I will see some of you there? Look for the TOAST crew shirt, thats me!
10th July 2004 04:02 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
John Doe lol!

And you guys get on Kid Rock's case for being lucky to share the stage with greatness.

now i KNOW you ain't dissin' X, right Bloozehound?
11th July 2004 12:53 AM
mac_daddy well, dan...

i hope you got in, and that you are running tape
11th July 2004 07:38 AM
JaggaRichards sounds cool
11th July 2004 02:33 PM
Soldatti

Musicians Keith Richards (news) and Norah Jones (news) perform during a concert in memory of musician Gram Parsons (news), who died of a drug and alcohol overdose in 1973, and to raise money for Musicians Assistance Program, in Los Angeles late July 10, 2004. (John Hayes/Reuters)
11th July 2004 03:05 PM
Gazza That pic (according to reuters who have the same pic) seems to be from the Universal Ampitheatre show - but thanks for posting it!

I've copied it onto the 10.7.04 show thread for the sake of continuity!
[Edited by Gazza]
12th July 2004 10:31 AM
glencar Anybody attend the shows who has a review yet?
13th July 2004 09:19 PM
Martha Cardinal Fang...are you awake yet? I am looking so forward to hearing about the show. How did it go????

Did you hear Cardy? I got front row seats at the Clapton show last night in Columbus. It was incredible and I haven't been able to sit and write about it yet. Of course it is HOTTER than friggin' HELL right now..we have no A/C in our place) so that doesn't help. I'm beat today.

I hope you had a similarly fabulous time in LA with Keef!
Let us know!

xxoo,
Maaaaartha
14th July 2004 05:34 AM
Gazza By Darryl Morden
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Return to Sin City: A Tribute to Gram Parsons" celebrated an artist who made his greater mark in the years following his death and has become a contemporary music icon.

As a member of the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers and with his two landmark solo albums, Parsons pushed forward country and rock blendings more than 30 years ago, injecting elements of soul and gospel as well. But his creative outpouring ended with an overdose in 1973 at age 26.

So it was fitting that the two concerts honoring him during the weekend -- Saturday at Universal and Friday in Santa Barbara, Calif. -- were benefits for the Musicians' Assistance Program, which provides means to combat substance abuse. Parsons' daughter Polly organized the events.

Headliner Keith Richards often credits his old friend Parsons with introducing him to country music and bringing that sound to the Rolling Stones in songs like "Wild Horses," which turned up here at the end of the evening.

Playing acoustic guitar, Richards sang a ragged but right and wistful "Hickory Wind," taking you back to the Byrds' "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" album, with an old photo of a much younger Richards and Parsons up on the video screen.

Norah Jones joined Richards for a duet on "Love Hurts," the Boudleaux Bryant-written Everly Brothers classic that Parsons revived in the early 1970s with his protegee Emmylou Harris, whose absence from the tribute shows seemed a bit odd.

During her own spotlight, Jones delivered a stirring reading of the bluesy "Cry One More Time," with a jaw-dropping, geometrically complex solo from legendary guitarist James Burton, who played on several of Parsons' early-'70s recordings. Jones also sang the "Streets of Baltimore" and took to the piano for an emotional "She."

Backed by his three-man band, Dwight Yoakam tore it up in his usual honky-tonk manner, including his take on the wanderlust of "Wheels." Lucinda Williams, supported by her outfit, was well matched to the mournful "Sleepless Nights" -- another Everlys cover reworked by Parsons -- and the plaintive "A Song for You."

Leave it to Steve Earle to effectively key in on the refrain of "Luxury Liner" -- "you think I'm lonesome, so do I" -- then inject some political fire into the event with his version of the anti-draft number "My Uncle," written in Vietnam days by Parsons and Chris Hillman. He also gave due credit to the late MAP founder Buddy Arnold.

The first half of the evening included appearances by the Mavericks' Raul Malo, ever compelling with the ballad "Hot Burrito #1" and in his element with the swing of "Close Up the Honky-Tonks."

Ex-Son Volt singer Jay Farrar was truthful for the pithy "Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man" and "Christine's Tune (Devil in Disguise)," while X's John Doe, joined by Canada's Kathleen Edwards, nailed the fatalism of "We'll Sweep Out the Ashes in the Morning."

Longtime L.A. country mainstay Jim Lauderdale dug into the dirt-road rocker "Big Mouth Blues," and Jim James of My Morning Jacket looked into Parsons' country twist on the classic James Carr soul song "Dark End of the Street"
Also appearing were the eastmountainsouth duo Peter Adams and Kat Maslich, shouter Susie McDonald with a Memphis-styled "Do Right Woman" and Sylvia James and the House of Blues Choir for some gospel with "In My Hour of Darkness."

The crack Sin City band included veteran keyboardist Skip Edwards, Williams band guitarist Doug Pettibone and another original Parsons session player, pedal steel master Al Perkins.

www.reuters.com 12th July 2004

[Edited by Gazza]