ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Happy Birthday Baby!
Today 30 years ago Littleredrooster filmed portions of both shows at MSG
Now this "baby" is in digital video, with adjusted brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness digitally for each take
By Lil' Red Roosta'
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bridges To Babylon Return to archive
07-13-02 08:06 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Umm... guys?

I think I might have found my Dirty Work.

I'm realllllllllllllllllllllly liking Bridges To Babylon. Realllllllllllllllllllllly liking it. So far, the only clunker's been "Anybody Seen My Baby?". I'm up to "You Don't Have To Mean It", which feels like an uptempo "Words Of Wonder", and I'm dancing along. The Dust Brothers suck, but otherwise, hallelujiah! This album is giving me hope!

Haaaaalp!

-tSYX --- Bill, you are free to laugh maniacally.
07-13-02 08:28 PM
Gazza I love it too...pretty much all of it

and I'd go as far to say that Waddy Wachtel's guitar coda at the end of ASMB is the most beautiful piece of music on any Rolling Stones song in over two decades..

...just a pity its not Keith or Ronnie playin' it!
07-13-02 08:37 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Just got past "Always Suffering". Only one more clunker, "Might As Well Get Juiced", and even that ain't so bad. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... this album is delicious. I feel like dancing. I am dancing. Someone stop these dancing feet!

-tSYX --- Dirty Work, you're way too tight for me.
07-13-02 11:53 PM
BILL PERKS I MISSPOKE,TOO TIGHT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON DIRTY WORK,THAT IS ROCK,IF I MAY BE SO BOLD.AS IS SWITCH!
07-14-02 12:10 AM
Maxlugar Bridges To Babylon is the anti-Dirty work!!!!!!

Holy sweet mother of cum on a cracker, stop it!!!!

B2B makes my testicles creep so far up my body cavity that people think I have breast implants (I have big testies) when I hear it!

Holy anti-Dirty Work!!!!!!!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm SNAGGLE MAX!!!!! (SPIV 24!)
07-14-02 12:19 PM
Nasty Habits I thought that Emotional Rescue was the Anti-Dirty Work.

How can both ER and B2B be the anti-Dirty Work?

Bridges to Babylon is the Anti-Voodoo Lounge.

Bridges to Babylon makes Voodoo Lounge and Steel Wheels whimper in their aluminum casings and whenever it plays.

Those albums are pretenders -- Bridges is real -- Drunken incoherent Ronnie, Keith and Mick barely speaking to each other, cobbled content and actual live hits, strange tribute to the Temptations, drum and bass blues harmonica trance dancing in your rodeo.

Only "Always Suffering" is useless, and that's because it's repetitious in the face of the awesome "Already Over Me", with its great druggy Keith guitar solo.

Jagger sings great on that record - the new vocalization affectation (say, "blaaaaaaah" every once in a while) is totally cool.

I didn't listen to it for months when it came out, because the concurrently released Dylan masterpiece Time Out of Mind seemed so much more compelling, but I now play Bridges more than any Rolling Stones album since Dirty Work.

You should massage your teste-breasties down to their original position and give that album a break -- it's the real deal.

Dirty Work is the only album the Stones released in the last 20 years that's genuinely worth fighting over, but Bridges is close.

07-14-02 08:37 PM
Mr T great fucking album

that & Steel Wheels are SO underrated its a damn shame
07-14-02 10:46 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVED STEEL WHEELS AT THE TIME,BUT WHEN I HEAR TERRIFYING,HEARTS FOR SALE,MIXED EMOTIONS I THINK OF MATT CLIFFORD.IT DOES'NT STAND UP WITH VL OR B2B.
07-15-02 02:59 AM
stonedinaustralia nasty h, interested to read your comment re temptations tribute... which track did you have in mind?

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
07-15-02 11:51 AM
Nasty Habits Out of Control.

Especially on record, Out of Control was an excellent rip off/rework/homage to those early 70s Temptations/Norman Whitfield funk excursions/productions. The wah-wah guitar, the undertow of the bass groove, the slow build. To open one of his harmonica solos, Jagger actually musically quotes one of the hooks in "Papa Was a Rolling Stone".

I remember hearing the song for the first time before the album was out, at the opening date in Chicago, and thinking, "God that's a lovely tune - sounds like Ball of Confusion of something!" Was very gratified when I got the record and that harmonica lick was actually on it. Would have loved for them to have released a 12" single of this song and gone totally over the top with it a-la the Temp's song "Masterpiece".

The lost potential of great 12"'s on Bridges was a total shame - "Might As Well Get Juiced" could have been a fuckin' underground dance hit if it was released on a 12" with four intelligent remixes -- I actually sold LPs of Bridges to DJs who freaked when they heard "Might as Well Get Juiced".

Instead we got those horrible Saint of Me remixes. I think Bridges to Babylon was a great album, but I think it was wretchedly marketed to its potential customers and was a sadly lost opportunity.

Saint of Me was obviously the first single, Out of Control the second, with Anybody Seen My Baby a possible third. Might As Well Get Juiced should have been released out into the clubs via some white label "bootleg" mixes, and "Already Over Me" coulda cracked adult contemporary radio. That album was a roaring lion that had its teeth pulled. At least that's what I think.

D'you think it was the Stones or Virgin that lost their nerve?
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
07-15-02 12:04 PM
Nellcote Looking for the non techno version of Might as Well Get Jucied, as Keith says they recorded it. In my book, the
experimentation on this is great. It is quite listenable, with the only exception of the last two numbers, back to back. Different slotting would have assisted. Anyone know of any outtakes floating from those sessions?

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road