ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Happy Birthday Baby!
Today 30 years ago Littleredrooster filmed portions of both shows at MSG
Now this "baby" is in digital video, with adjusted brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness digitally for each take
By Lil' Red Roosta'
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dirty Work Return to archive
07-12-02 10:00 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Sooooo...

I went down to my Trusty Local Record Store today.

"Got my Import Bridges To Babylon in?" I ask.
"Nope."
"Been on order for a month now..."
"Yep."
"*sigh*."
"Check the Stones section over there."

I go over. I leave the store four albums richer.

Jimmy Page with The Black Crowes - Live At The Greek
Led Zepplin II
The Best of the Velvet Underground (They were outta VU w/ Nico)
and....

Dirty Work. It had been on the shelf since this guy set up shop three years ago. I took pity.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS THINGY (as in, give me some time and I might come up with something different):

I popped it into my computer and booted it up. The first track, "One Hit (To The Body)", was awesome. Rockin'. Not "Exile" material by any means, but great stuff. "Fight", as well, was great, despite the stupid lyrics, and I was beginning to think maybe this was going to be one of those Diamonds in the Rough.

Oh, no, no no no.

Following "Fight", the album goes nowhere but down, until, when you finally reach "Sleep Tonight", you understand why Stu died - after this tripe, he had a rightfully serious concern for his band's survival. His little piano ditty at the end was the third song on the album to merit listening to more than once.

OVERALL: On the cover of Dirty Work, not one of the Stones is smiling. Keith's knee is in Mick's groin. Even Ronnie's trademark ear-to-ear sloppy grin is mutated to the point where it looks like he's crying. And I can't say I blame him.

4.2 - Vinyl Better Used For Waxing Floors Or Something

DIRTY WORK
The Rolling Stones
Copyright Virgin Benelux B.V. 1986

(this review is the exclusive property of The Frobozz Electric Record Co., and may be reprinted only with the author's permission.)

-tYSX --- You broke my heart, Ronnie, you broke my heart.
07-12-02 10:08 PM
BILL PERKS THE HORROR,,,THE HORROR.............
07-13-02 01:10 AM
Nasty Habits I had high hopes for you Xyz, I really did. When you announced you were taking the dirty dive today I was hoping that you'd come back and say to the Offers (he's not up for grabs, but he's open for Offers), "I fail to understand why everyone bashes this album, gents -- It is full of the pure ugly hatred and evil that made the Stones the greatest band of all time!"

That you'd say, "I was uncomfortable down there for the first few seconds, I really was. I didn't know if I really wanted to stick my tongue out and taste it or not. But then I did, and man was it good! I want to lick it every night! Let me do the Dirty Work, baby! And I'll do it for free!"

That you'd say, "My god, "Had It With You" is the best rock and roll song recorded in the last 20 years or so! How did they manage to acheive such a scuzzy, feral, rotten sound on a record that was produced by Steve Lillywhite in the mid 80s? Who thought up those lyrics? Is that really a tape recorded shutting off at the end of the song?"

That you'd say, "HOLD BACK" is a completely unique Mick Jagger vocal and "I've been climbing this tree of promises for over 40 years", was the perfect line to listen to on this day of days, the 40 whateverth monkey math of the Rolling Stones.

Yes, even so you'd say, "You know, I even kind of liked that "Winning Ugly" song." And that even if you didn't know why (which you do, but I didn't) that weird piano at the end just gave you the creeps.

I'm sad. I'm not upset with you, Savage Young Xyzz, I'm really not. At least you took the plunge. I hope you'll keep going down in the dirty dive. Maybe you'll learn to like it.
07-13-02 02:35 PM
Maxlugar It went down hill after Fight? The high point of the album is Dirty Work and Had It With you! Harlem Shuffle, Hold Back, Too Rude? Great songs to me. Have you ever heard Mick tear it up like on Hold Back ever?

Had It With you alone is worth the price of admission!!!

And what's with everyone complaining about the cover lately? That they look disinterested or mad on it? This is the Rolling Stones people!! When are they on an album looking all happy and "interested"? On Black and Blue they look like they are going to kill somebody. Decembers Children? All the old ones?

I played Dirty Work in its entirety last night and played Had It With You twice. This is a grreat album and Mick and the guitars are on fucking fire!

And so Maxeth spake!

SNAGGLE MAX!!!
07-13-02 02:58 PM
nankerphelge Had It With You is awesome -- I hope they play it this time out -- Dirty Work has been under-represented for years!
07-13-02 03:03 PM
Nasty Habits Max --

Sometimes I play Dirty Work and Had It with You three, four times in a row because they are so great.

Had It with You especially. I cannot get that song out of my mind. I made a tape last night for a friend of mine who I'm going to visit next week in California, and Had It with You was the first song I put on it.

I figure that's an opening statement if ever there was one.

What is better than Mick saying, "It is such a sad thing to watch a love go draaaaaaaa"?

Good point about December's Children -- Dirty Work's cover is almost a sequel.

If they recorded an album as good as Dirty Work in the next two years every Rolling Stones fan would collectively come their brains out and declare it the best since Exile.

Nasty Work

07-13-02 03:10 PM
sammy davis jr. Yes, Had It With You is the last Stones track that really rocks....and no bass! Let's hope they play it on the tour- and don't Las Vegas-ize it. Dirty Work was the last Stones album I actually was excited about and played regularly when it was released.
07-13-02 03:13 PM
Chico Oh shit!I feel the dirty work plunge coming on in the next couple of weeks for me.Need to get mentally prepared first though
07-13-02 03:59 PM
Joey 'Dirty Work. It had been on the shelf since this guy set up shop three years ago. I took pity. "

There is a reason for that ..............it is an abysmal failure across the board .

CNN ran a special on " The Worst selling Albums of all Time " and Dirty Work tied for number one with Wing's 1979 disaster " Back to the Egg " .

To date , Dirty Work has sold thirty four copies in the United States , eighteen copies in the UK , two in Portugal , and some Indonesian guy bought a copy .

That is a total of fifty five copies sold world wide since its release over fifteen years ago -- same sales numbers as " Back to the Egg " .

Oh , the horror !!!!

The horror !

" Bite me in the Ass Ronnie "

Snaggle Joe

07-13-02 04:05 PM
Chico Cheers Joey.You've saved me.Although you've taken exaggeration to new levels, I wont be taking the plunge anymore. Ill wait until I see that brilliant album cover shining from some portugese guys backyard dustbin.lol
07-13-02 04:18 PM
Gazza >To date , Dirty Work has sold thirty four copies in the United States , eighteen copies in the UK , two in Portugal , and some Indonesian guy bought a copy .

18?? That many?? I hope now that puts to bed all that silly crap about the Stones being underappreciated in their home country....

07-13-02 06:52 PM
Maxlugar Chico,

Do not listen to that mildly retarded member of the C10. Do you know that when Joey first came off the plane in CLEVELAND he still had the helmet his mother put on him in case of his numerous "accidents"? It wasn't until Moonlight Mile and Marko agreed to lead him around the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by his arms that he felt safe enough to take it off. I can still see that little dental mirror he had afixed to the front so he could see behind him. Cute.

Listen up my little Chico Suave, Dirty Work will rock your testicles so hard that the next time you wack off it'll look like you opened a vigorously shaken can of Coke.

Do you like it when Keith and Woody mesh their guitars into a weaving, psychotic serpent from hell?

Do you like it when Mick sings from the gut with that scratchy growl? A mean son of a bitch that is not very tall but sounds like he's a giant? A cave man on coke?

Do you like tension and angry lyrics? Drums that explode and Bill "The Little Hands That Could" Wyman still with the band?

Do you like it when The Rolling Stones play with arrogance and "Fucking blow me, we're the Rolling Stones and we're here to rock" attitude?

Chico, Joey only hates Dirty Work because I made it my personal crusade to help people understand just how great it is. If I went around singing Goats Head Soups praises he would hate that one too. He's a butt munch, pretty much.

So, Chico Chico from Coasta Rico, will you buy it and give it a spin and let us know what you think?

Are you man enough?

Developing........
07-13-02 07:33 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Alright, alright, I admit it, I gave "Had It With You", and indeed, the rest of the album, another listen. "Had It With You" is nice stuff, but the best they've done in Twenty Years? Nuh-*uh*! "Love Is Strong", "I Go Wild", hell, even "Saint Of Me"'s better. I also don't mind "Hold Back", though I wouldn't go looking for it, if it popped up somewhere I'd listen to it.

Nope.

And, by the way, "Back To The Egg" is one of McCartney's greatest albums of all time. I sing along to "Getting Closer" every day. Every single day. "So Glad To See You Here"? Classic! "Rockestra Theme"? What gives! Awesome! People didn't buy it because they wanted whiny little love songs and what they got was McCartney rockin' goodness. Although "Again and Again and Again" and "Arrow Through Me" make me ill every time I hear them.

*edit*
Chico, buddy, you and I need to get our Stones albums acts together here, I think we might be the only two on the board that don't own all of them.

Oh, and... take the plunge. You might as well. Just to say you did it. Granted, I did it out of remorse for the fact that it'd been sitting there for three years. Even when everything else of the Stones's was out, it just sat there, Ronnie's nearly crying face screaming "Oh Xyzzy! Xyzzy! Have pity on me! Ignore the bad press and buy this album! They didn't like "Exile" either! For your old mate Ronnie!"

Last time I ever listen to you, Ronnie!
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
07-13-02 11:46 PM
BILL PERKS JOEY,WHO ARE YOU TO GUFFAW?YOUR BELOVED WHO SUCKED AS A "SELLING" BAND,AND HAS MADE NO ATTEMPT SINCE IT'S HARD.DIRTY WORK IS A TIME AND PLACE MASTERPIECE OF 1980'S ANGST AND MALAISE.THE SINGER DID'NT CARE,THE DRUMMER WAS A JUNKIE,THE BASSIST WAS SHAGGING 13 YR OLDS,STU DIED,AND WOODY AND KEEF PRODUCED MAGIC.1986,THE LAST TIME THE ROLLING STONES PRODUCED SNARL,THE SOUND SO LOVED ON SOME GIRLS,RESCUE,TATTOO(SIDE 1)AND UNDERCOVER."HAD IT WITH YOU" SHOULD BE B-STAGE MAGIC.DARRYL AND CHUCK,SITTING CROSSLEGGED,WATCHING,IN HOMAGE OF THE MASTERS THEY SERVE.
07-13-02 11:58 PM
Maxlugar Bill Perks,

I would like to hold your sweaty, shivering head tight to my
bosom and whisper:

You get it...You get it....I love you...I love youuuuu...

In the manliest way of course!

You should change your last name to Wyman. It's only right.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm SNAGGLE MAX!
07-14-02 05:07 PM
Joey "Do you know that when Joey first came off the plane in CLEVELAND he still had the helmet his mother put on him in case of his numerous "accidents"? It wasn't until Moonlight Mile and Marko agreed to lead him around the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by his arms that he felt safe enough to take it off. I can still see that little dental mirror he had afixed to the front so he could see behind him. Cute. "

You make young Joey laugh like Hell !!!!!

I would like to caress your kneecaps and nibble your elbows all at the same time .

" Help Me Ronnie , Help Help Me Ronnie "

Snaggle Joe

It's good to be the Muse !!!!!!!!

07-15-02 07:30 AM
bez85 THE REASON I DISLIKE "DIRTY wORK" IS THE PRODUCTION..THE WHOLE RECORD IS OVER-PRODUCED..CHARLIE'S DRUM SOUND SUCKS..TOO MUCH REVERB AND MIXED WAY UP FRONT JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER BANDS OF THE EIGHTIES..THE SONGS THEMSELVES ARE O'K EXCEPT "BACK TO ZERO' THE WORST STONES SONG OF ALL TIME ..I'M SURPRISED KEITH LET MICK PUT THAT ONE ON THERE..MICK SHOULD HAVE SAVED THAT ONE FOR "GODDESS...IT WOULD HAVE FIT NICELY WITH ALL THE OTHER CRAP ON IT..keith rocks got his thumb in the pie..livin' life on an alibi..
07-15-02 11:48 AM
sandrew Keith himself said "Dirty Work" was one of his favorite Stones albums, despite its being "fragmented" (he must've had in mind the two crappy Jagger/Leavell songs, "Winning Ugly" and "Back to Zero"). I think he liked it because the rest of the album - at least in the writing stage - was pure Keith/Ronnie raunch. In some respects, it was a Keith solo album, a precursor to "Talk is Cheap."

Nonetheless, it was BADLY overproduced. It does grate on the ears at times. And I HATE the Ivan Neville bassline in "Hold Back" - totally ill-suited for the song. So, taken for all in all, I think "Dirty Work" had lots of potential but was a missed opportunity, just as, to an extent, each succeeding album was.

In each case, the songs were there, the substance was good. But the finished product disappoints a bit. As I've said before, I chalk it up to the latter-day Stones being parallel solo acts. "Steel Wheels," for example, was a continuation of "Primitive Cool" ("Terrifying") and "Talk is Cheap" ("Can't Be Seen"). On "Bridges to Babylon," this fragmention is more apparent than ever, though I think it's probably the best late-period Stones album.

When Mick and Keith jell - when the twain meets - we get brilliant Stones. We get "Had It With You," "Break the Spell," "Love is Strong," "Too Tight,"...
[Edited by sandrew]

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road