ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

BVV Outdoor Exhibition Centre, Brno, Czech Republic 22nd July 2007
© David Neff / DN DNES with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Prince club shows in London in August (SSC) Return to archive
13th July 2007 01:04 PM
Gazza For those of you in town for the Stones shows (21,23 & 26 August) and who were going (or thinking of going) to see Prince at the same venue on 24th and 25th August, he's now added more 'after show' club gigs at the new 2,300 capacity IndigO2 venue (part of the 02 complex) on the same night, starting from 11.30 pm.

Tickets on sale now. A steal at £25.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/artist/957438

Venue info :
http://www.theindigo2.co.uk/venueinfo/
http://www.theo2.co.uk/web/guest/whatson/indigO2
13th July 2007 02:02 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
For those of you in town for the Stones shows (21,23 & 26 August) and who were going (or thinking of going) to see Prince at the same venue on 24th and 25th August, he's now added more 'after show' club gigs at the new 2,300 capacity IndigO2 venue (part of the 02 complex) on the same night, starting from 11.30 pm.

Tickets on sale now. A steal at £25.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/artist/957438

Venue info :
http://www.theindigo2.co.uk/venueinfo/
http://www.theo2.co.uk/web/guest/whatson/indigO2

This should be an automatic for everyone attending. whilst I am not a Prince fan per say, he is an excellent performer and this will be a very fun place to be.
[Edited by voodoopug]
13th July 2007 02:10 PM
monkey_man The aftershows will be hit or miss as to whether he actually sings. His band will play but it's a crap shoot as to whether he will get on stage and play guitar or sing at all.
13th July 2007 04:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
The aftershows will be hit or miss as to whether he actually sings. His band will play but it's a crap shoot as to whether he will get on stage and play guitar or sing at all.

They're hardly going to sell tickets for a show where the artist in question doesnt appear. He's playing at every one of them.
13th July 2007 04:36 PM
Fiji Joe How is his new album?...Worth paying for?
13th July 2007 04:42 PM
SweetVirginia At his shows and he gives it to ticket holders for free.
13th July 2007 04:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
How is his new album?...Worth paying for?

Not out yet until next week, I believe.

He's decided to give it away as a special offer in the UK with "The Mail On Sunday" newspaper (which costs about £1.30 or so!!) this weekend.

Needless to say the record shops arent too happy.....
13th July 2007 04:50 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Not out yet until next week, I believe.

He's decided to give it away as a special offer in the UK with "The Mail On Sunday" newspaper (which costs about £1.30 or so!!) this weekend.

Needless to say the record shops arent too happy.....

Oh...I thought I read here where some had heard it already...free music in papers sounds good...I might even subsribe to a paper if they had some deal where you would receive free unreleased tunes in every Sunday paper
13th July 2007 05:08 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

They're hardly going to sell tickets for a show where the artist in question doesnt appear. He's playing at every one of them.

I should have been more clear! It's hit or miss as to whether he SINGS at the aftershow. I was at his gig and aftershow in LA 2 weeks ago and he played the aftershow but it was all instrumental! I've seen many of his aftershows and sometimes he just gets up and plays guitar or keyboards and doesn't sing.
13th July 2007 05:27 PM
Gazza Ok..now I got ya.

Were those shows pre-announced or ticketed as a "Prince" show, though? A lot of them tend to be pretty much impromptu appearances, I would imagine.

Was this the Roosevelt Hotel gigs? think he's using them as a warm up for the 02 shows.

The after show gigs would probably feature a bit more jamming, etc than a 'regular' show (surely he'd have to be carefulhe doesnt blow his voice playing two shows for about 4 hours in total over 21 nights) and would be somewhat 'looser' in feel, but the way the guy plays guitar plus the fact that its at close proximity should still make it worthwhile.

[Edited by Gazza]
13th July 2007 05:29 PM
Nellcote I hit anyone's paypal account for a copy of this newspaper with the cd this weekend, just for the novelty of it all.... send along a pm if interested, I'll send along some quality cd's as well...
13th July 2007 05:31 PM
Gazza I'll try and get ya one. No need for all that paypal nonsense.
13th July 2007 05:45 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Ok..now I got ya.

Were those shows pre-announced or ticketed as a "Prince" show, though? A lot of them tend to be pretty much impromptu appearances, I would imagine.

Was this the Roosevelt Hotel gigs? think he's using them as a warm up for the 02 shows.

I was at the Roosevelt show/ aftershow on the 29th. The aftershow was about 70 mins and Prince was onstage for about 25 mins. His band does a free form funk jazz set which would be well worth the 25 pound ticket price. His band is very tight. I've been to 8 aftershows of his and he has sung at 6 of them. He's a moody bastard so you might get a 45 min set or you might get a 3 hour set.

This was the stage for the aftershow:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
13th July 2007 05:52 PM
Gazza Christ. That looks tiny. LOL.

Still sounds interesting. It'll be a fun wind-down from the main show.

Thanks for the info. (8 after shows? Bloody hell..!)
13th July 2007 05:58 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thanks for the info. (8 after shows? Bloody hell..!)

Yeah the aftershows are really addictive. They are far more interesting than his regular shows. Hopefully you'll get some crossover when the Stones are at the O2 at the same time.
13th July 2007 08:33 PM
speedfreakjive http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6897869.stm

relevant
13th July 2007 10:03 PM
FM Can anone provide the link for him playing the solo for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that was doing the rounds previously ? It was an allstar performance thingy.

Searched youtube - couldn't find it.

Fraser
13th July 2007 10:06 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Gazza wrote:

how very rock n' roll.
15th July 2007 12:27 PM
Gazza got the new album today with "The Mail On Sunday" - it's pretty good.

Nelly, I got an extra one for ya. Mail me your address and I'll send it on to you.

The CD just comes in a little sleeve, with no track listing or anything, although there's a page in the newspaper giving details about it.

I assume the version with the concert tickets will be a bit more lavishly packaged, but for £1, who's complaining?

It seems that the Mail on Sunday offer and the giveaway with the concert tickets are the only way you can buy this in the UK. Although, apparently some of the major stores like HMV are going to stock the newspaper so they can 'sell' it somehow.

If above link doesnt work, try http://img.dailymail.co.uk/video/2007/july07/prince.mpg
[Edited by Gazza]
15th July 2007 12:44 PM
Gazza Newspaper gives away Prince CDs

Prince is also giving away the album at his concerts

Around three million copies of Prince's new album, Planet Earth, have been given away with the Mail On Sunday.
The promotion is believed to be worth about £250,000 to the musician, whose hits include Purple Rain, Raspberry Beret and Money Don't Matter 2Night.

But the giveaway has angered retailers, who called it "an insult" to high street record stores.

It also dealt a blow to Prince's record label, Sony BMG, which has shelved plans to release the album in the UK.

'Speculation business'

Planet Earth has had largely positive reviews, with The Times saying it was "too good to be so lightly sold".

The US pop star also plans to give away copies to fans attending one of his 21 concerts at London's O2 arena next month.

Prince has sold more than 80m records worldwide

That means it will reach many more listeners than the artist's last album, 3121, which only sold 80,000 copies in the UK.

"It's direct marketing and I don't have to be in the speculation business of the record industry which is going through a lot of tumultuous times right now," said the Minneapolis musician when asked why he was giving the CD away.

"Prince has done this because he makes most of his money these days as a performing artist," the Mail on Sunday's editor, Peter Wright, told BBC Five Live.

"He's got a fantastic series of concerts coming up at the O2 Dome and this is a way of telling people what he's doing."

Wright confirmed that the newspaper had paid Prince for the licence to produce the CD, and had paid to press and distribute it, but hoped to make money by selling extra copies of the paper and extra advertising.

'Beggars belief'

Nonetheless, the deal has sent shockwaves through the record industry, with the Entertainment Retailers Association being particularly vocal about their dissatisfaction.

Paul Quirk, co-chairman of the organisation, said the decision "beggars belief".

"The Artist formerly known as Prince should know that with behaviour like this he will soon be the Artist Formerly Available in Record Stores," said Mr Quirk, referring to a period in the 1990s when Prince famously stopped using his name in favour of a symbol.

However, music chain HMV has decided to stock Sunday's Mail, even though chief executive Simon Fox previously called the giveaway "absolutely nuts".

www.bbc.co.uk
15th July 2007 03:58 PM
Taptrick
I REALLY ike how Prince is rattling everybody's cage with the unusual tactics - he seems top clearaly have learned the Stones lesson that the key is in ticket sales but unlike the Stones still takes consistant live explorative risks.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)