ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

BVV Outdoor Exhibition Centre, Brno, Czech Republic 22nd July 2007
© David Neff / DN DNES with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Former First Lady Lady Bird Johnson Dies at age 94 ... ( N.S.C. ) Return to archive
11th July 2007 06:14 PM
Joey
" Lady Bird Johnson dead at 94 "

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/11/obit.lady.bird/index.html

" AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) -- Lady Bird Johnson, who became first lady during one of the darkest days in U.S. history, died Wednesday, family spokesman Tom Johnson said. She was 94.

She was the widow of Lyndon Baines Johnson, sworn in as the nation's 36th president on November 22, 1963, just hours after President John F. Kennedy's assassination.

The former first lady was born Claudia Alta Taylor in 1912 in Karnack, Texas, a small town near the Louisiana line. She got her unusual nickname while still a toddler from her nurse, who proclaimed the child was as "purty as a lady bird."

Lady Bird attended St. Mary's Episcopal School for Girls, a junior college near Dallas and then transferred to the University of Texas at Austin. She graduated with a bachelor's degree in arts in 1933, then stayed an extra year to earn a journalism degree.

She hoped to become a newspaper reporter, but those plans changed after she met a 26-year-old congressional aide named Lyndon Baines Johnson.

They married in 1934 after a whirlwind courtship and soon moved to Washington.

Early on, Lady Bird Johnson proved herself to be the quintessential political wife. In 1937 she used part of an inheritance to fund her husband's first bid for public office and campaigned with him to win a congressional seat.

Don't Miss
Former first lady leaves hospital
She used more of her mother's money and Johnson's connections to purchase a faltering Austin radio station in 1942 for $17,500. She turned it around and later used the station as a base for a multimillion-dollar communications company based in Austin.

After three failed pregnancies, she gave birth to the Johnsons' first daughter, Lynda Bird, in 1944, followed by Luci Baines three years later.

Lyndon Johnson rose quickly in politics, becoming the youngest Senate majority leader.

In 1960, Johnson set his sights on the presidency but lost the Democratic nomination to Kennedy. A day later, he agreed to become Kennedy's running mate.

Lady Bird Johnson traveled more than 35,000 miles during that campaign.

After one of the closest presidential elections in U.S. history, Johnson was sworn in as vice president on January 20, 1961.

With Kennedy's assassination, Johnson became the 36th president.

In the landslide election of 1964, Lyndon Johnson won victories in the Northeast, West and Southwest. Of the eight Southern states that many had expected to vote for Republican Barry Goldwater, six went for LBJ -- in part, it was said, because of the first lady's efforts.

During her husband's one term as president, Lady Bird Johnson worked tirelessly for the beautification of America, promoting the Highway Beautification Act, which sought to limit billboards. She was also a strong advocate for the Head Start program.

In 1982, she founded the National Wildflower Research Center outside of Austin. The center was renamed the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in 1998. Its mission is the research and preservation of native plants throughout the United States.

Lyndon Johnson died in 1973. "

RIP

11th July 2007 07:00 PM
fireontheplatter god rest her soul.
11th July 2007 07:46 PM
lotsajizz when I heard the news, I thought of Joey!

OK now

Cazart!
11th July 2007 08:25 PM
LadyJane
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
when I heard the news, I thought of Joey!

OK now

Cazart!

This is a first!!!

Feej and I both agreeing with YOU on the same damn day!!!

LMAO.

LBJoeyJ

11th July 2007 08:25 PM
mojoman the world has lost another wonderful lady. RIP......
12th July 2007 12:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I thought she passed away a long time ago.
RIP.
12th July 2007 02:36 AM
tumbled

she would want us to plant a shrooob or a boosh in remembrance... maybe a Bush instead heh?
12th July 2007 10:15 AM
Joey
quote:
tumbled wrote:

she would want us to plant a shrooob or a boosh in remembrance... maybe a Bush instead heh?

It was Lady Bird Johnson who talked her husband out of using nuclear weapons to win the War in Vietnam ( March , 1968 ) ...She was right !!!!

RIP Lady Bird !

LBJOEY

[Edited by Joey]
12th July 2007 10:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:

It was Lady Bird Johnson who talked her husband out of using nuclear weapons to win the War in Vietnam ( March , 1968 ) ...She was right !!!!

RIP Lady Bird !

That wouldn't have worked anyway. What exactly would they have nuked? The Viet Cong were hiding in Saigon, the jungle and in tunnels. Iran is a different matter, they'll nuke the underground nuclear facilities. And I doubt Laura will be able to talk W out of it. It's going to be a long hot summer...at least in Iran.
(I hope I'm wrong...but I don't think so.)
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
12th July 2007 10:44 AM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

The Viet Cong were hiding in Saigon, the jungle and in tunnels. Iran is a different matter, they'll nuke the underground nuclear facilities. And I doubt Laura will be able to talk W out of it. It's going to be a long hot summer...at least in Iran.

(

Smart Man .

You are much loved by Joey !

12th July 2007 11:55 AM
gypsy She really wasn't as pretty as a lady bird. Maybe as a toddler...
12th July 2007 05:50 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
She really wasn't as pretty as a lady bird. Maybe as a toddler...

Gypsy .......................................

YOU are as purty as a Lady Bird !!!!!!!

12th July 2007 08:10 PM
sammy davis jr. Funnily enough, she did look like a bird. An ugly ass bird.
13th July 2007 12:08 PM
Joey " Funnily enough, she did look like a bird. An ugly ass bird. "

14th July 2007 06:26 PM
Joey

Goodbye LadyBird ........................

Say Hi to Lyndon for all of us Rocks Off'ers .

LBJOEYKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14th July 2007 08:43 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

Goodbye LadyBird ........................

Say Hi to Lyndon for all of us Rocks Off'ers .

LBJOEYKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go smoke some "hippie lettuce" man.
15th July 2007 06:17 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Go smoke some "hippie lettuce" man.

Hi Moonie !!!!!

*** MOOF PISS ***

15th July 2007 08:44 PM
tumbled Supposedly she quoted LBJ as saying: 'I can't get out. And I can't finish it with what I have got. And I don't know what the hell to do.'
16th July 2007 09:45 AM
Joey " Supposedly she quoted LBJ as saying: 'I can't get out. And I can't finish it with what I have got. And I don't know what the hell to do.' "

|
|
V

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)