ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

AWD Arena, Hannover - 19th July 2006
© Rolf Klatt with thanks to Helmut
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Greatest Metal Bands Of All Time Return to archive
19th July 2006 06:01 AM
RollingstonesUSA "Top 10 Greatest Heavy Metal Bands Of All Time," according to MTV.com's panel of "experts":

1. Black Sabbath
2. Judas Priest
3. Metallica
4. Iron Maiden
5. Pantera
6. Slayer
7. AC/DC
8. Motorhead
9. KISS
10.Mötley Crüe

Metal's honorable mentions:

Alice In Chains
Anthrax
Faith No More
In Flames
Megadeth
Mercyful Fate
Ministry
Sepultura
System Of A Down
Tool
Van Halen
Venom
19th July 2006 06:11 AM
RollingstonesUSA It Should Be:

1.AC/DC
2.Black Sabbath
3.Judas Priest
4.Iron Maiden
5.KISS
6.Van Halen
7.Motorhead
8.Motley Crue
9.Metallica
10.Anthrax
19th July 2006 06:58 AM
star star i always thought AC/DC weren't exactly "heavy metal" more "heavy rock"?? a sort of stonesy copy but a bit thrashy-er if you get me!
19th July 2006 08:10 AM
glencar Where o where is that "Pour Some Sugah On Me" group?
19th July 2006 09:27 AM
StickyFishFingers
quote:
glencar wrote:
Where o where is that "Pour Some Sugah On Me" group?

Agreed - AC/DC are a blues based hard rock band - they have even stated this themselves on many occasions.

Sabbath - the greatest metal band. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath the greatest metal album
19th July 2006 10:10 AM
nanatod Where's Deep Purple?
19th July 2006 10:15 AM
Factory Girl Alice In Chains should be in top 10. They rocked really hard, and also wrote beautiful moody songs.

RIP Layne. Hard to believe you;ve been gone more than 4 years.
19th July 2006 10:24 AM
Your Cousin Lou I didn't think Alice In Chains were a heavy metal band when I liked them in the early 1990s!
19th July 2006 10:31 AM
Dan Iron Maiden should be #2. Never thought of Faith No More as a metal band, if I did, they would obviously be #1.
19th July 2006 10:33 AM
Factory Girl
quote:
Your Cousin Lou wrote:
I didn't think Alice In Chains were a heavy metal band when I liked them in the early 1990s!

In the 1990's they were labeled grunge by the industry b/c they were from Seattle. But, I believe they will go down in history as "heavy metal.
19th July 2006 11:17 AM
pdog Before I looked at the list, I can't stand lists, I asked myself what is metal?
After reading the list, I will say, Ac'Dc is not metal, and they're one of my all time favorite bands...
VH sucks!
Black Sabbath #1 metal band... Faith No More and Ministry both are tied for #2 b/c they both have done screeching kick ass Sabbath covers...
Motorhead is undefinable and rock so hard they should just be on a list called Motorhead.
Kiss is so bad, Eagles and Journey type bad!
19th July 2006 11:31 AM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

In the 1990's they were labeled grunge by the industry b/c they were from Seattle. But, I believe they will go down in history as "heavy metal.

Actually, I thought it was the other way around. Where I am from, they were constantly played on Z-Rock, the heavy metal station, well before anyone had ever heard of Nirvana. They were totally labeled as heavy metal, and they didn't catch on the way the so-called "grunge" bands did. The metalheads didn't really like them though, IIRC - I guess vocal harmonies weren't kick-ass enough. I would say that they were pretty unique. Not really metal, but not grunge either, whatever that is...
[Edited by Your Cousin Lou]
19th July 2006 11:33 AM
pdog
quote:
Your Cousin Lou wrote:

Actually, I thought it was the other way around. Where I am from, they were constantly played on Z-Rock, the heavy metal station, well before anyone had ever heard of Nirvana. They were totally labeled as heavy metal, and they didn't catch on the way the so-called "grunge" bands did. The metalheads didn't really like them though, IIRC - I guess vocal harmonies weren't kick-ass enough.

AIC was glam before they took off the make up, put down their purses and played rock!
19th July 2006 11:43 AM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
pdog wrote:

AIC was glam before they took off the make up, put down their purses and played rock!

Correct, they used to play in drag.
19th July 2006 11:46 AM
pdog
quote:
Your Cousin Lou wrote:
Correct, they used to play in drag.

I thought they were cool in the early 90's, the music of AIC has not grown with me at all! The only reason they are on this list is b/c the dead singer has gotten put on a pedastal of some kind... To each their own.
19th July 2006 12:40 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
pdog wrote:

I believe only Layne was glam pre-AIC. Once AIC formed, he shed his glammies. AIC were unique, one of the best bands of the 1990's.

And, Mad Season was very unique also.
19th July 2006 12:44 PM
Dan I had some early AIC demos at one point. They sounded like a third rate Poison from what I remember.

The first time I saw Alice In Chains was at the KNAC Pure Rock 105.5 5th Anniversary show at Long Beach Arena opening for Ozzy, LA Guns and Lynch Mob. 2nd time was Clash Of The Titans (Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer), 3rd time was opening a Megadeth headline gig and 4th time was RIP Magazine 5th Anniversary (Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, Spinal Tap, Pearl Jam, Thunder, Screaming Jets). They were introduced by Tom Araya and Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Duff McKagan played on Man In The Box. None of the gigs were particularly impressive. Actually think I fell asleep at the gig opening for Megadeth. Got caught at the door but still BS'd my way in the equipment but only had enough tape for Megadeth so I was even more bored than usual.
19th July 2006 12:51 PM
Factory Girl I saw AIC open for Iggy Pop in Hammerjacks in Balto, MD!
19th July 2006 12:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Motorhead is undefinable and rock so hard they should just be on a list called Motorhead<

Exactly. Motorhead is so far beyond mere "metal" that qualifying them as such is an insult. Lemmy would probably knock yer ass out if you called Motorhead a "metal" band.

Where is Mastadon? Where are the insane Scandanavian death metal bands? Where is Alabama Thunderpussy and Atomic Bitchwax?

They got Sabbath right though...I'll give 'em that.
19th July 2006 01:00 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Where is Mastadon? Where are the insane Scandanavian death metal bands? Where is Alabama Thunderpussy and Atomic Bitchwax?

Is this a rhetorical question?
19th July 2006 02:22 PM
doo doo doo Dude Van Halen should have been near the top of this list but sadly the Sammy Hagar era destroyed their legacy.
19th July 2006 02:25 PM
Some Guy
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Van Halen should have been near the top of this list but sadly the Sammy Hagar era destroyed their legacy.

Right on Dude!
19th July 2006 11:52 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Where is Alabama Thunderpussy and Atomic Bitchwax?

I believe that the first one was a minor character from the James Bond movie "Live and Let Die" while the second is what Joey orders when he gets his ass hairs removed.
20th July 2006 12:05 AM
Altamont
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:

I believe that the first one was a minor character from the James Bond movie "Live and Let Die" while the second is what Joey orders when he gets his ass hairs removed.

That there is Postin!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)