ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

AWD Arena, Hannover - 19th July 2006
© Rolf Klatt with thanks to Helmut
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: DBT 9:30 7/15 (ns) Return to archive
18th July 2006 09:02 AM
Factory Girl From Washington Post.Com 7/17/06

Drive-By Truckers at 9:30

Rock-and-roll isn't a meritocracy. But sometimes, the deserving get what's due 'em. At a sold-out 9:30 club on Saturday, the Drive-By Truckers were treated as heroes, and performed in kind.

Through seven fabulous albums and endless tours, the Alabama-born Truckers have drawled about sweet tea and family feuds with unrivaled thoughtfulness and twang. No urbane Yankee like Al Kooper (Lynyrd Skynyrd's patron) ever safaried south to pluck them from obscurity. No record label that was able or willing to alert the masses ever stepped forward. So the Truckers hit the road and have stayed on it. And, during a sweaty, loud set that lasted nearly three hours -- and was carried live on NPR's Web site -- the hard and brilliant work seemed to have paid off.

The Truckers showed the newbies in the club and on the 'Net what they'd been missing. Few other live acts flaunt three songwriters as talented as Jason Isbell, Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood, all of whom can also sing and bend guitar strings. Isbell favored modern folk rock, with several odes to Dixie touchstones played over three power chords (including "The Day John Henry Died" and "Decoration Day"). Cooley focused on self-destruction. "Women Without Whiskey" had him detailing a loser's having to choose between a lady and liquor. "Whiskey's hard to beat," he sang, with a look that made the line as sad as it was funny. Hood songs are almost all about redemption. The climax of "A World of Hurt," a new tune full of middle-aged wisdom on the power of love, had him shrieking "It's great to be alive!" again and again, and was so hopeful it hurt. And while there might be a song by somebody somewhere that can fire up a concert crowd the way Hood's "Let There Be Rock" can, none came to mind on this night.

-- Dave McKenna

18th July 2006 01:14 PM
pdog Our good friend and part time lover SS was there. I also DL this show from DAD!
Pics have been posted on the couch, seem SS is handy with a camera... This man has mad skillz!
18th July 2006 01:54 PM
Factory Girl I was there also. I didn't see SS, though.
18th July 2006 04:13 PM
MRD8 The recording off of DIME is KILLER!!! Thirty-two songs long...the crowd AND the band must've been worn out after that show! Would you like a copy FG? Their version of Moonlight Mile blows away the Stones live version on the No Security tour...
[Edited by MRD8]
18th July 2006 04:27 PM
pdog
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I was there also. I didn't see SS, though.

You should post on The Couch... You could've hung!
18th July 2006 06:47 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Few other live acts flaunt three songwriters as talented as Jason Isbell, Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood, all of whom can also sing and bend guitar strings. Isbell favored modern folk rock, with several odes to Dixie touchstones played over three power chords (including "The Day John Henry Died" and "Decoration Day"). Cooley focused on self-destruction. "Women Without Whiskey" had him detailing a loser's having to choose between a lady and liquor. "Whiskey's hard to beat," he sang, with a look that made the line as sad as it was funny. Hood songs are almost all about redemption. The climax of "A World of Hurt," a new tune full of middle-aged wisdom on the power of love, had him shrieking "It's great to be alive!" again and again, and was so hopeful it hurt. And while there might be a song by somebody somewhere that can fire up a concert crowd the way Hood's "Let There Be Rock" can, none came to mind on this night.

Cool read. Well said.

I find a lot of the bands that have multiple songwriter/singer combos often dont work. They just sound like they're going in different directions.

DBT are one of the few bands that have multiple songwriters/singers and can still make it work and maintain an overall sound & vibe thats cohesive. They do it as well as The Band, ABB, Clash had all managed to do before them.
18th July 2006 07:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot The show was fantastic...I coulda stayed there all night. Except I had to piss really bad.

FG, I was like, the fourth person in line to get in. I was dead center on the rail at the stage. And I look a lot different than I did the last time I saw you. For one, I have hair now. And big stupid Elvis sideburns. And I've taken to wearing a beat up straw cowboy hat too. I knda got a sorta Eddie Spaghetti look goin' on.

Anyone who wants to send me a recording of this(I heard the stream that NPR.org has up, I assume that is the source.)I'd love to have a copy.

Pdoggy?? Can ya help a brother out?
18th July 2006 08:12 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Pdoggy?? Can ya help a brother out?

You my niggah?
PM me that snail mail addy!
18th July 2006 09:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot Thanks!

Here have a drink on me!

19th July 2006 06:23 AM
Factory Girl SS, I was on the second level to the right of the stage (great vintage point). I looked for you upfront (because I knew that is where you'd be...lol). Actually, I did see your hat in the front row... to the right. Sounds like you had a BLAST!!

MRD8, yes, please that would be lovely. Check PM!

Pdog, I barely have time to post on 1 board. I like posting at RO. But, thank you for asking. Check PM!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)