ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Con Robert Cray en La Cartuja, Sevilla, España - 17 de Octubre de 1991
Festival "Leyendas de la Guitarra"
© 2002 Associated Newspapers Archives

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'No Security', 'Goddess...' and "Remasters" Soundscan sales report Return to archive
07-13-03 11:32 PM
Soldatti Report from Billboard/Soundscan (07/09/2003):

Mick Jagger's "Goddess in the Doorway" has sold 315,000 copies in the U.S. according to Nielsen SoundScan. The Virgin set was released in November 2001. The Rolling Stones most recent live album, "No Security" (also released through Virgin), has sold 317,000 copies to date.

The Remasters of the Stones:

The remasters sold to date 548,000 copies in the U.S. acording to Nielsen Soundscan, since 08/27/02 to 07/09/03.
Here the details:

"England's Newest Hit Makers" has sold 15,000 copies in the U.S

"12 x 5" has sold 23,000 copies in the U.S

"The Rolling Stones, Now! has sold 16,000 copies in the U.S

"Out Of Our Heads" has sold 20,000 copies in the U.S

"December's Children" has sold 12,000 copies in the U.S

"Big Hits" has sold 33,000 copies in the U.S

"Aftermath" has sold 28,000 copies in the U.S

"Got Live If You Want It!" has sold 14,000 copies in the U.S

"Between The Buttons" has sold 36,000 copies in the U.S

"Flowers" has sold 16,000 copies in the U.S

"Satanic..." has sold 31,000 copies in the U.S

"Beggars Banquet" has sold 51,000 copies in the U.S

"Through The Past, Darkly" has sold 28,000 copies in the U.S

"Let It Bleed" has sold 91,000 copies in the U.S and was the ONLY of the REMASTERS in enter in some Billboard Chart: The Top 100 Internet Albums, charting at #49, with 5 weeks on chart.

"Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" has sold 18,000 copies in the U.S

"Hot Rocks" has sold 68,000 copies in the U.S

"More Hot Rocks" has sold 14,000 copies in the U.S

"Metamorphosis" has sold 8,000 copies in the U.S

"Singles Collection" has sold 26,000 copies in the U.S
07-14-03 09:51 AM
jb Pathetic...........We lost in touring last year to Macca, we are losing by over 14 million in gross this year to Elton/Billy(can someone explain -we alway use to be #1) and our record sales are an abortion....
[Edited by jb]
07-14-03 11:54 AM
throbby You know, a lot of the blame can be placed on Abkco's shoulders. The way this material was re-released is quite pathetic for an artist with the stature of the Rolling Stones. Take a look at The Who or Bowie reissues. Look at the effort put into the recent reissue of Aladin Sane or the deluxe reissue of Who's Next. I don't know how these are selling, but at least they contain something new for the fans to enjoy.
Then we have Abkco's Stones reissues. No new liner notes or photos, no little extras for the fans who are buying these for the third or fourth time. Nothing new at all other than a bullshit paper puzzle piece. Sure it's SACD but how many people can play it in SACD mode. I don't know the current state of affairs between Abkco and the Stones in regards to these reissues. What I do know is that someone here is being a miserly old fuck towards the fans. Like they say, let the buyer beware. I'm thinking many of them are.
07-14-03 12:02 PM
jb Hi Throbby!!! Hope all is well.....Was blasting "Timeless" yesterday in the new neighborhood and thought of you..LOL...
07-14-03 12:08 PM
throbby Hey JB! Yes, all is well. Thank you. Timeless is a great disc, one I blast often myself. Have you heard "Ladies and Gentlemen" by SM. A smoking disc of an incredible slice of '72 Stones.
07-14-03 04:09 PM
jb No....please PM me..........thanks.
07-15-03 01:37 PM
Dan "We..." Whats your cut JB?
07-15-03 01:38 PM
Dan Anyone know how many copies of the re-issues were pressed? Maybe the price will finally come down and I can start filling in the gaps.
07-15-03 03:21 PM
GimmeExile I agree, Throbby. The marketing of the Stones SACD re-releases was unbelievably weak, almost non-existant. Even the release date was bad..and then it was changed. I didn't see any ads in advance--only a couple after they were already on sale. They really could have taken advantage of the SACD and the tour and 40th anniversary, but they failed. With those weak sales, we should thank our lucky stars that they were made available at all because they sound great...

I didn't realize that NO SECURITY had such poor sales.

How many copies did BRIDGES TO BABYLON sell?
07-15-03 06:01 PM
mac_daddy if you like "ladies and gentlemenn" you will LOVE "you can't do that baby" - ame material, but the difference in sound is night and day...

it is on my list of stuff to offer up, so if you guys want it I would be happy to vine it out (although nobody seemed to want acetates and it's only goats head soup)...

as for the SACDs and reissues, I would be interested to see the numbers of Ziggy, Live @ Leeds, and the Police stuff:

ziggy was wonderful - no SACD, but extra disc and a total remaster, that is audible from the start...

live @ leeds was available as a boot forever, but they really cleaned this one up - I wonder if it is a seller though...

the police are trying to go to the well one too many times: they are releasing their remasters as red book or SACD, but not hybrid. as pissed as I am that I have to splice the last verse of symapthy into yayas from a bootleg, at least they gave us hybrids...

how many sacd players are in US homes? how do these other SACDs sell (Diana Krall, America)? how do the Stones' numbers compare?

how many units has the hybrid "Dark Side of the Moon" sold?

these titles are awesome, and as people start getting sacd players in the next few years (when their current players crap out on them), the Stones hybrids are going to have solid market value. I would expect numbers to be matched or surpassed next year...

they made a smart move going with 2 channel sacd - that is WAY more important than a redbook remaster with a few outtakes thrown in. multi-channel would have been a mistake, and the fact that these are hybrids (see my Police comment above) is extra sweet - and the 16x44 sounds damn good, too!

when are they going to reissue the Rolling Stones Records stuff? I cannot wait for Sticky Fingers, Exile and Tatoo You on SACD!!!
07-15-03 06:19 PM
Joey " We..." Whats your cut JB? "

Ten Percent Right Off the Top --- What else is new ?!?!?!

JACKY !
07-15-03 09:25 PM
Soldatti Babylon sold 1.1 million copies in the States...
07-15-03 10:12 PM
Soul Survivor how many copies has Let It Bleed sold in the US
07-15-03 10:25 PM
Soldatti Let It Bleed sold 2.5 millions in the States acording to Soundscan by the end of 1997. Now, adding the remasters and the 5 years between 1998-2002, 2.7 millions.
07-15-03 11:00 PM
Soldatti Later days I was researching and the Stones is the artist with most sales of SACD albums with 550,000 copies (impresive for a brand new format). Let It Bleed is also the 2nd SACD what more sold in the States with 90,000 copies. "Dark Side Of The Moon" sold 97,000 copies.
Wait for next years and the format will be more popular, and the albums also...
People, the Stones is #11 in the Artists more selling in the States with 63.5 millions copies. When the albums get re-certifications the numbers will peak very high!
07-15-03 11:11 PM
Soul Survivor Where can i find these statistics?
07-16-03 12:32 AM
Soldatti The statistics can be found:

Let It Bleed:
In the web page of Jens Backlund you can find all the sales of all the records of the Stones, but is old and no actualization yet.
This is the link:
http://www.abo.fi/~jbacklun/moneymen.htm
In the Let It Bleed part show "2.5 US".
This numbers are from 1998, but the Let It Bleed dates are from 1997 when I read in some newspaper and Jens put this in his page.
If you add the sales of the remasters and the 5 years since 1998-2002
the figures...

Remasters:
The remasters information if from inside of Virgin Records. I got two friends in EMI Argentina and they download all the information about the Stones in the States or other country. This information is given to me and I put this.
The last week I asked if they can found the numbers of the remasters in the States. They send the question to Nielsen Soundscan and quickly answer.
Additional to that the remasters have sold 2 millions worldwide.
I see it in the Yahoo news also.

Babylon:
Is known what the album sold 1.1 millions in the States by September 2001. Check the Rocks Off archive with the article:
http://www.novogate.com/board/968/22928-1.html

Security & Goddess:
The information is in the currently Billboard edition:
http://www.billboard.com/bb/ask/index.jsp

RIAA Information:
In the RIAA page:
http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp

Dark Side Of The Moon:
I see it in the yahoo news, two weeks ago.