ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Con Robert Cray en La Cartuja, Sevilla, Espaņa - 17 de Octubre de 1991
Festival "Leyendas de la Guitarra"
Đ 2002 Associated Newspapers Archives

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Has anyone noticed. . . Return to archive
07-11-03 09:04 PM
keefa Within the first few seconds of Sympathy for the Devil (right before singing starts) it sounds like either talking or laughing and it sounds like its being played backwards. Anyone else notice this or know what it is?

Also, I was looking at the record sleeve for the Let It Bleed album and below the tracklisting it says "Hard Knox and Durty Sox". I thought Keith thought of this years later in the late 70's or early 80's and wanted to give an album that name. What is its purpose on the sleeve?

Keefa
07-11-03 11:32 PM
J.J.Flash Iīve not noticed that yet brother Keefa, anyway Iīll try to find out! Thanks!
Actually, I noticed that there is something like a scream or a laugh at the end of a song in the Undercover album, but I canīt remember now whatīs the song. I always wanted to tell this to you, like another day, some months ago, a guy asked about a burp at the end of Start Me Up.
Cheers!
07-11-03 11:43 PM
J.J.Flash Wait wait wait.........awww Jesus.....yes Keefa, thereīs something wrong with it.......FRIGHTENING
Of course seems like an invocation of "something" or "somebody" due to the main idea of the song.
07-12-03 01:14 AM
keefa Im glad someone else noticed it. I am trying to understand what it is saying, but it doesnt sound like words, more like backward laughing or something. Interesting though, what sounds are hidden in songs!

keefa
07-12-03 06:27 AM
stonedinaustralia must say keefa i've always notice those sounds - they're not that buried in the mix

they are masterful strokes - sounds to me like primal grunt - and as you say maybe reverse tape on some chatter(that's what's confusing you is just the nature of the game)

as for the "hard knox and durty sox" - a last nod to the edith grove/loog oldham days (featuring clockwork orangey spelling) - the end of the '60s in other words

07-12-03 07:35 AM
magicwoman yes ive noticed to and in the middle of miss you they talked to they have whole conversations in miss you ive heard that to
07-12-03 03:17 PM
Gazza In the bridge on "Beast of Burden" where Mick says "I tell ya" (just before he sings the line "you can put me out") you can hear the original vocal on the song which has been dubbed over but is "bleeding" on to the released version - you can hear him say "I wanna tell ya somethin'" before singing the bridge

during the bridge when he sings the "put me out" and "throw it at me I'll just shrug it off" lines you can hear the original vocal still buried down the mix
07-12-03 05:37 PM
mac_daddy if you want to hear bleeding vocal tracks, listen to YaYas - even the SACD - they overdubbed the vocals, but the ghosts are still very easy to pick out...
07-13-03 02:24 AM
Egbert Does this mean Sabbath ripped off the Stones for the opening of Sweet Leaf?!?!
07-13-03 09:06 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Does this mean Sabbath ripped off the Stones for the opening of Sweet Leaf?!?!

Mmmm, Iīve never noticed......I mean, I think in the first seconds of Sweet Leaf, there's a repeated cough, you know....smoking, leaf.

"When I first met you, didn't realize, I can't forget you, for your surprise.....I love you...."
[Edited by J.J.Flash]