ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Con Robert Cray en La Cartuja, Sevilla, España - 17 de Octubre de 1991
Festival "Leyendas de la Guitarra"
© 2002 Associated Newspapers Archives

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Depp Return to archive
07-07-03 09:18 AM
steel driving hammer Anyone see him last night on A&E's Inside the Actor's Studio?

Well if you didn't, he wore a "Keith Richards for President" T-shirt.

07-07-03 09:20 AM
dealer squealing Johnny is the third coolest guy around
07-07-03 09:26 AM
steel driving hammer Ah, I think he's the 6th coolest guy in the world, LOL.

He makes it cool to be different.

I like how he has Hollywood by the Short and Curlies.

Did you see him last night rolling his own cigarettes on the show?

Like me, Johhny is a man of all seasons.

07-07-03 10:16 AM
Factory Girl In 1994, Johhny flew out to Baltimore, MD to check out an Iggy Pop show (that I attended). Johnny & Iggy co-starred in John Waters "Cry Baby".
07-07-03 01:04 PM
parmeda FG...Johnny's certainly in the spotlight these days!
He gives KEITH the credit to his pirate character too!!!
Read on...

JOHNNY DEPP on FAME, FORTUNE and TURNING 40

CHICAGO SunTimes
July 7, 2003
BY CINDY PEARLMAN

LOS ANGELES--When Johnny comes marching home from France his appearance is a little, well, different. He looks more European Bohemian than A-list Hollywood movie star. In a blue wool stocking cap, torn and faded jeans, unwashed hair and a rumpled flannel shirt, the hippie Depp doesn't care how he looks as he walks through a luxury hotel suite outside of Beverly Hills.

Just wait until he smiles. A row of gold teeth capture the light of a crystal chandelier overhead.

OK, part of the look is because Depp wants to shiver your timbers. He plays the head swashbuckler in "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," opening Wednesday.

Depp offers some good news for those obsessed with image. "I have a day off tomorrow, so hopefully I'm going to get the gold teeth taken out--if the dentist can fit me in."

He's Johnny Depp. Certainly a dentist can make exceptions.

Depp laughs and says, "I don't think some actor doing a pirate movie should take precedence over a triple root canal or something."

Yes, Depp seems to have his priorities straight. Maybe it's the newfound maturity he has found after turning the big 4-0 a few months ago.

"You merely exist in your 20s," he says. "As soon as you hit 30, it hits you that you're growing up. By the time I hit 40, I was ready for it. I said, 'Let's have it.' "

You might expect some rollicking birthday celebration from the guy who owns The Viper Room, and who famously trashed that $1,200-a-night-hotel suite all those years ago. Yet, he says that on the big day he celebrated like any other bub. "It was real calm. I had dinner with my girl and the kiddies. My sister and some friends showed up. We had a couple of bottles of wine and then went to sleep."

Maybe it's age. Maybe it was the wine. Depp has the right to be exhausted. He just wrapped "J.M. Barrie's Neverland" and "Once Upon a Time in Mexico."

Depp elevates "Pirates," based on the amusement park ride, to new levels through a performance so dazzling that there's early Academy Award nomination chatter.

He says finding his inner pirate was a challenge. He came up with a man of dreadlocks, swagger and almost drunken bravado. Depp is the first to admit that he had to look no further than one of his favorite bands to find the character.

"First, I had to figure out what pirates were in the 18th century," he says. "What would be the equivalent today? I thought that pirates were really the rock 'n' roll stars of their era. So, I started thinking about rock stars and who is the greatest one, who is the coolest one."

One name came to mind: Keith Richards. "Keith is pretty piratey, so Keith became the main ingredient," he says, mentioning that Richards is aware that the performance is an homage of sorts. "It just kind of trickled down to him, and he seems OK with it," Depp says.

Depp also went the extra mile by getting seven of his front teeth capped in gold for the film--a move producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney execs thought might distract from the role. Depp says they wanted him to have them removed, but he refused, and only got rid of two.

He has always been a bit of a rebel. Depp was born in Owensboro, Ky. His parents divorced when he was 15. A high school dropout, he basically holed up in his bedroom playing guitar and called it a life.

Eventually, Depp moved to Los Angeles where he got work as a pen salesman. A chance meeting with Nicolas Cage persuaded him to try acting. Depp became a teen idol playing Officer Tom Hanson from 1987 to 1990 on the TV series "21 Jump Street" and went on to films such as "Edward Scissorhands" (1990), and more recently "Chocolat" (2000) and "From Hell" (2001).

Along the way there have been personal road bumps that got major publicity. The least of them was a broken engagement to Winona Ryder. Things got worse in 1994, when he messed up a $1,200-a-night hotel room in New York. Of his arrest on criminal mischief charges, he says, "I guess I was having a really bad night. Back then I was working out some demons."

Even worse was the night that actor River Phoenix died outside of Depp's Los Angeles nightclub, The Viper Room. "I'll never forget that night. It was devastating. An absolute nightmare."

Several women helped soothe the pain. Besides Ryder, he's been engaged to actresses Sherilyn Fenn and Jennifer Grey. Traci Lords reportedly once said of Depp, "He's the kind of guy who brings flowers, but still takes a pee in the alley."

Depp moved to France a few years ago and settled down with singer-actress Vanessa Paradis,. They have two children, Lily-Rose Melody, 4, and Jack, 1.

Big Picture News, Inc.
A 'Pirate' looks at 40
07-07-03 01:09 PM
LadyJane I always liked Johnny Depp and now I like him even more!

Good read, Pammy!!

LadyJ.

PS Check your e-mail.
07-07-03 01:10 PM
egon
quote:
dealer squealing wrote:
Johnny is the third coolest guy around

that's funny, i always thought he was a bit of a dick.

[Edited by egon]
07-07-03 01:58 PM
Factory Girl Thank you, parmeda for a wonderful read!!

egon, Johnny is a movie star, you know?? But he's incredibly talented unlike those other "movie stars of today".
07-07-03 05:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot HA!

Johnny wears the same T I do...Keith Richards for President. I have had my shirt for several years, so, obviously, Johnny is just trying to be as cool as I am. LOL!

Johnny is one of the very few actors who are as cool as I am. He'd be cooler than me except he moved to France.

I have been a Johnny Depp fan since his performance in Ed Wood.
07-07-03 05:58 PM
gypsy SS, you've been a Depp fan since "21 Jump Street." Just admit it, babe.

I also have the Keith For President tee...wore it with jeans while running errands a few months ago...got a lot of dirty looks from middle-aged folks at the post office.
07-07-03 06:01 PM
steel driving hammer And Ronnie for Vice President!

Fight Plauqe, Not Iraq! LOL!!
07-07-03 06:14 PM
Sir Stonesalot What is "plauqe"? Is that something like "kunch"?

Gypsy...I can't believe that those people could possibly look upon you in a disapproving manner. Are they not overwhelmed by your obvious charm, disarming intelligence, rapire wit, and ravishingly hot looks?

What is wrong with them? Are they all retarded, or is it just something in the water at Shoney's?

I wore my Keith for Pres T to the Nick Cave show at Roseland. 3 different people wanted to know where I got it, 2 people said they would vote for him, and one person offered me $50.00 on the spot for it. Obviously, there must not be a Shoney's in NYC because it CERTAINLY can't be that I look better in mine.
07-07-03 06:17 PM
gypsy Thanks, SS...but I did look pretty grungy...hair up in a ponytail...baggy ripped up jeans. Maybe I was just feeling self-conscious.
07-07-03 06:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh please....let's not be coy here. You roll out of bed after a hard night boozing looking like a cool million. You make grunge look stunning, to be sure. Nay, it was something far more sinister at work I fear, my little lollypop!

My dearest, you must flee! Your town has been invaded by.....THE BLAND NORMALS!!!

I fear for your safety!
07-07-03 09:13 PM
stonedinaustralia yes, i too think johnny is way cool

as ss mentioned he did an excellent piece of work in "ed wood"

"dead man" was brilliant

and while the movie itself was flawed to some degree he did a very cool portrayal of hst in "fear and loathing in las vegas"

even that "sleepy hollow" movie was enjoyable to me thanks to him as i usually don't go for that kind of thing

btw, what's up with the bio - pic of gram parsons for which he was cast in the lead role
07-07-03 09:32 PM
steel driving hammer I think he'd do a GREAT job in a movie portraying Keith.

Imagine that you bastards.

When will 'The Long Play' by Martin Scorsese be out anyway?

I heard that Judd (forgot his last name) was set to star as Mick Jagger.
07-07-03 10:57 PM
FPM C10
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
I think he'd do a GREAT job in a movie portraying Keith.

Imagine that you bastards.

When will 'The Long Play' by Martin Scorsese be out anyway?

I heard that Judd (forgot his last name) was set to star as Mick Jagger.

Jude Law.

You know, if they wanted to do that Brian Jones movie right, and they could get permission to use Stones music, and had Johnny, Jude and Brad Pitt play Keith, Mick and Brian, they'd make a scadillion dollars and might even make a good flick at the same time. Imagine THAT you bastards. Who would play Anita?

Those guys have all done at least one decent movie apiece - but I think Johnny's the best of his (my, roughly) generation. Ed Wood and Dead Man cemented it for me.
I'm looking forward to taking my son to see "Pirates".

Hey, what's up with "C12"? Did we have a babies?

07-08-03 10:25 PM
BILL PERKS 10 GUYS I'D LIKE TO HANG WITH
1-CHARLIE WATTS
2-KEITH RICHARDS
3-RON WOOD
4-PETE TOWNSEND
5-SEAN PENN
6-JOHNNY DEPP
7-ANGUS YOUNG
8-IAN MCGLAGAN
9-BOBBY KEYS
10-JEFF BECK
THE OTHERS I'D LIKE HANG WITH ARE DEAD
BOBBY KENNEDY
KEITH MOON
JIMI HENDRIX
IAN STEWART
JESSE ED DAVIS
ROD STEWART
07-09-03 05:35 AM
luxury1 What about "what's eating gilbert grape?" Man, I loved that film--even Leo D. was phenomenal. Yeah, Depp is pretty cool.
07-09-03 07:47 AM
Factory Girl
Here's a link to a review

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29991-2003Jul8.html
07-09-03 07:59 AM
lotsajizz Depp keeps up a superb level of performance throughout his career....from '21 Jump' to current, btw, don't forget his portrayal in 'Blow'---powerful, and with CYHMK in the soundtrack. This is not a casual Stones fan here, folks; he has been seen at the Hard Rock and Shepards Bush and Wiltern shows.....rock on Mr. Depp
07-09-03 11:13 AM
jb Why have you disappeared of Gasx3? It has been quite friendlier as of late.
[Edited by jb]
07-09-03 12:06 PM
Factory Girl jb, are you aking me ot lots of jizz?

Btw, I'm really sorry about your "real life problems". I hope everything works out.
07-09-03 01:57 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
jb, are you aking me ot lots of jizz?

He's asking it of me. And to answer, no ShtWheels here....hence my return here following vacay rather than the other place
07-09-03 09:40 PM
Highwire Rob Hey, did you guys hear about the new pirate movie?

It's rated Arrrrrrhhhhhhhg!

Sorry, just couldn't resist a silly joke!
07-10-03 07:50 PM
exile Imagine a movie about the stones

In the same calibre as tOliver Stones "Doors" movie

that would be fucking great
07-12-03 12:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks Gypsy!

07-12-03 01:11 PM
Factory Girl I could have lived without the bad reath factoid...lol