ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Ferenc Puskas Stadium, Budapest 20th July 2007
© NOL.hu / Kovács Bence with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: High Bob ....Dylan's class is in session. Return to archive
12th July 2007 09:56 AM
Ten Thousand Motels High Bob
Dylan's class is in session.
By Chris Packham
Published: July 12, 2007
The Pitch.com

Bob Dylan's 1960s apex intersected with the height of analog recording technology. His relatively simple songs and minimal arrangements afforded a good approximation of the man's live performances, but this effect was the result of the relatively unheralded and now disappearing art of sound engineering. Dylan's upcoming Kansas City performance is a good occasion to talk about an endangered aspect of recorded music: dynamic range. Boring stuff? It's only the battlefield between artistry and the bad decisions made by corporate music executives.

In sound engineering, dynamic range is the difference between the loudest and the softest sounds in a recording, and it's measured in decibels. A good sound engineer balances the sound levels in a recording to create the most interesting interplay of sounds. A recording with high dynamic range blends soft and loud elements to achieve naturalism and rich texture.

The dynamic range of a vinyl record is around 55 decibels. The engineering challenge was keeping individual sounds within the high and low thresholds allowed by vinyl — too much volume, and the groove might widen into its neighbor, causing a skip.

By contrast, compact discs have a dynamic range of about 90 decibels, which means that sound engineers can more accurately emulate the sound complexity of a live performance. But instead of capitalizing on the excellent signal-to-noise ratio afforded by CDs, music executives have decided that making music as loud as possible is the only way to capture the attention of consumers. Through digital overcompression, every sound in a recording is accorded equal weight. That's why everything on the radio sounds like Linkin Park. The trip from Highway 61 Revisited has been a long one, and not many people even know how we got here.

Dylan teaches a master course on the traditional American art of dynamic range at Starlight this week. Study the texts — 2003's CD reissues of Dylan's best albums and last year's plangent Modern Times — and be prepared to listen closely. He's not always loud or clear, but he always sounds right.

"Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan, from the documentary Don’t Look Back:

http://www.pitch.com/2007-07-12/music/high-bob/

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
12th July 2007 01:19 PM
Martha Kansas City........here I come!!!!!!
13th July 2007 03:49 PM
Martha Bob Dylan to get remixed for first time

Mark Ronson to tinker with 'Blonde On Blonde' track
11.Jul.07 1:52pm
Bob Dylan is set to have one of his classic tracks remixed for a release this October.

'Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)' from the seminal 1966 album 'Blonde On Blonde' will be at the mercy of DJ Mark Ronson.

It's the first time Dylan has allowed one of his songs to be remixed by a hip-hop or dance artist.

The track will get a global radio premiere on August 1 and will be released as part of 'DYLAN', a retrospective release planned for October 1.
13th July 2007 04:28 PM
Erik_Snow Interesting info, thanks
allthough I'm expecting a disappointment with the DJ remixes of Blonde On Blonde songs. Don't even like the idea of messing with that sacred material - but who knows..
13th July 2007 04:42 PM
Martha "but who knows" Indeed! Who?! LOL We'll have to stay tuned!

I am just thrilled to be getting myself in (hopefully) good enough shape to make the trip to KC for Monday's gig. Then I have to make it back here for 4 back to back shows. I am going for my 17th physical therapy appointment in just a few minutes then off to find a lumbar support pillow to travel with.

Due to my back (left-side) hip pain...this is day # 60...I plan to sit in the handicapped section at Red Rocks for both shows...which, if this works out, will place me in the front row.....directly staring into the eyes of a man who won't look me in the eye! Oh MY!!!!!

I'll have to keep from fainting ( not kidding)....which I am working on by listening to Bob's show (THANK YOU MRD8)! from July 4th of this year. Chimes Of Freedom is simply gorgeous!

Glad to know you are diggin' Derek Trucks, Erik! I'm always smilin' when I get to send someone music they haven't heard before. :-)

Peace everyone,
Martha
13th July 2007 04:43 PM
Martha Oh and I can't get Bill Pagel's site to open..so I suspect to find the Fall Tour dates up next. ;-)
13th July 2007 04:54 PM
Erik_Snow I suppose one can say you're hip for the concert, then !

some new songs seem to be popping in the setlist these days. Have a good one
13th July 2007 08:31 PM
Martha
quote:
Erik_Snow wrote:
I suppose one can say you're hip for the concert, then !

some new songs seem to be popping in the setlist these days. Have a good one

Good one! LOL Thanks!

I see he played "When I Paint My Masterpiece" last night. I would love to get that one.

Have a great weekend.

Martha
14th July 2007 03:12 PM
jostorm Bollocks, I shouldn't have eaten that third brownie.....

Martha: GO, MARTHA GO !!!!! Have a fantastic show, and believe me, three brownies and you won't even know you have hips.....
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)