ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Ferenc Puskas Stadium, Budapest 20th July 2007
© NOL.hu / Kovács Bence with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Alice Cooper Guitarist Dick Wagner Suffers 'Very Serious' Heart Attack Return to archive
11th July 2007 05:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Alice Cooper Guitarist Dick Wagner Suffers 'Very Serious' Heart Attack
07/09/2007
Ultimate Guitar.com

Alice Cooper fan site Sickthingsuk.co.uk reports that former Alice Cooper Band guitarist Dick Wagner recently suffered a very serious heart attack. According to Dick Wagner's business partner Suzy Michelson, Wagner "has been in ICU all week on life support, but I am very relieved to tell you he is finally coming back to us!

As of today, we expect Dick to fully recover. Dick is not only a brilliant songwriter and phenomenal guitar player, but also a very special and beautiful man. If you want to send Dick a message you can do it via his web site or MySpace page and they will be passed on."

In other Wagner news, when Dick is fit again, he will be recording some new music with Steve Hunter and Fred Mandel (of the "Welcome to My Nightmare" band) for the upcoming Wagner/Hunter documentary, which also features Alice.

Wagner was Alice Cooper's right-hand man on the albums "Welcome to My Nightmare", "Goes To Hell", "Lace And Whiskey", "From The Inside" and "DaDa", helping in songwriting, composing, production and playing lead guitar.

Thanks for the info to Blabbermouth.net.
11th July 2007 06:50 PM
fireontheplatter love alice cooper...the first record i ever bought was..'love it to death'
don't know if this guy played on it...but hope he feels better soon.
11th July 2007 07:09 PM
stonedinaustralia IMHO his work with Steve Hunter on Lou Reeed's Rock and Roll Animal is two guitar interplay second only to the stones
11th July 2007 07:44 PM
purrcafe
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
love alice cooper...the first record i ever bought was..'love it to death'
don't know if this guy played on it...but hope he feels better soon.

He wasn't on the original Alice Cooper Group stuff. He came onboard with Welcome to My Nightmare. Great guitar player, Rock and Roll Animal is an awesome guitar album, not necessarily a great Lou Reed album. Fingers crossed that Mr. Wagner makes a quick and complete recovery.
12th July 2007 03:32 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
IMHO his work with Steve Hunter on Lou Reeed's Rock and Roll Animal is two guitar interplay second only to the stones

yeah that extended intro to Sweet Jane, is pure goosebump, chills up the spine six string x 2 magic.

i just read on allmusic that's it rumored to be wagner and hunter dueling it out on the studio version of Aerosmith's version of Train Kept A Rollin'!

here's a funkfied take on SJ, with Wagner from '74:

12th July 2007 03:42 PM
sammy davis jr. Great guitar player. Hunter and Wagner made R&R Animal a classic album by themselves.
12th July 2007 07:30 PM
guitarman53 Sorry to hear about this, but the Alice Cooper band belong to the original members, Neal Smith, Dennis Dunaway, Mike Bruce, & who is no longer with us, Glen Buxton, they were the ones who composed all the music to Alice Cooper, From their very first Album, "Pretties For You" to "Muscle Of Love" when Alice Cooper went solo(trying to be a David Bowie or Elton John type figure) I never liked Alice Cooper after that, his band was what made him, now he's just somebody who likes to dress up in a Halloween costumn now & then, David Bowie is respected, he's not.
13th July 2007 06:32 AM
Jumping Jack While I agree the original group was great, Dick Wagner is also a great writer and many of Coop's songs from WTMN on are excellent. BTW, Dick was co-writing some songs for Along Came a Spider, the new double CD due out next year. Roxie and Johnson were great guitarists and recent tours have been high energy and rocking. Keri and Jason many not be Ryan and Damon, but reports from this year's tour are still very favorable. Catch the Coop if you have a chance. He kicked butt big time with the Stones in Louisville last year.
13th July 2007 07:10 AM
corgi37 Talk about timing! Cooper plays in Melbourne next week.
13th July 2007 08:18 AM
Jumping Jack Corgi, definitely go see him. Coop is the best value in rock. Here are some reviews from your mates down under:

http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=8
[Edited by Jumping Jack]
13th July 2007 12:39 PM
corgi37 Here's been here alot recently, and yes, i've thought about seeing him. But, nah, cant be stuffed. He's playing the PALAIS in St.Kilda. The Stones played there in the 60's. Gorgeous place. I saw Chris Isaak there a few years ago. In other news, the big barn of a joint next door, the PALACE, burnt down the other day. Insurance job for sure. Used to be a great place for hard rock bands in the 90's. Infamous for the terrible version of Van Halen playing there. you know, with the Extreme singer. Only good thing about THAT was Aussie legends Kings of the Sun were the support band. Oh, and i saw the CULT there too. They were great.

Anyway, history/coincidence lesson is over for now.

P.S. The Stones supported Roy Orbison at the PALAIS. And, believe it or not, Rolf Harris!
14th July 2007 11:03 AM
Jumping Jack WELCOME to my nightmare _ getting to and from Burswood when thousands of Christina Aguilera and Alice Cooper fans joined restaurant goers, Ruby Room regulars and Friday night pokie punters.

As expected, the parking scene at Burswood was far from pretty. There wasn’t a vacant spot for as far as the eye could see and, when the rare one did become available, thrice as many cars zeroed in like seagulls circling a soggy chip.

A much easier task than parking was telling the Christina fans from the Alice devotees. At the Dome, women in tight tube dresses and impossibly high heels teetered in together; little girls clad in faux fur and donning Christina-style curls clutched their mum’s hands, their eyes shining. Over at the Theatre, it was a sea of black cloth, Alice-style eye makeup and testosterone.

The shock rocker – whose real name, incidentally, is Vincent Damon Furnier – stepped on stage at a respectable 9pm. The fans were expecting a grand entrance, and they got it.

A silhouette of Alice in a top hat and twirling his baton appeared against a giant cloth. Or so it seemed until BAM! The silhouette was belted over the head and crumpled to the ground as the real Alice Cooper appeared, sporting black leather pants, black tails and his customary big hair.

The crowd went wild and Alice encouraged the anarchy, ordering fans to their feet as he launched into old classic “No More Mr Nice Guy”. The first level obliged, leaping up and waving their arms in the air. By the time he moved on to “Under My Wheels”, Alice had a stick and was menacingly commanding people to stand the hell up. Much to the chagrin of the vertically challenged, they did.

A cloud of smoke and soft blue light signalled the start of one of Alice’s first songs “I’m 18”. From row N, the 59-year-old rocker could have passed for just that, his lithe figure zipping back and forth across the stage without stopping for breath.

Another four songs on, Alice still hadn’t addressed the Perth crowd with a customary “hello Perth! Great to be here!” Instead, he cracked out the riding crop and launched into “Lost in America”.

Wiggling his hips to the American anthem, he threw the crop into the crowd where it was gleefully snatched by a mo-hawked fan who frenetically whipped the air. Christina who?

Alice ripped through the classics “Be My Lover” and “Raped and Freezing” while still frantically working the stage, goading his band members to play harder and fending his crotch from an overzealous blonde fan in the front row (despite the ghoulish image he is, after all, a happily married man and devoted Christian).

But by the time he moved on to Public Enemy #9, it was all starting to get a bit, well, old. Sure, his rich, gravely voice was in top form (despite being let down by a substandard mix), but where was the famous story-lined theatrics? The electric chair, the guillotine, the chicken? This was, after all, The Psycho-Drama Tour… so where was the drama?

It came after Alice made a lightning quick costume change and started belting out “The Black Widow”. Out she came, in a tight red dress, torn fishnets and black heels, spreading her legs and waving an oriental fan before she led Alice offstage at gunpoint. Now that’s more like it.

Alice returned in a billow of smoke for “Welcome to my Nightmare”. With him was a bride with a bucket of fake blood on her head (played by Alice’s real-life daughter, 26-year-old Calico Cooper). This is where Alice turned really bad, dragging, kicking and serenading his “bride” before slamming her headfirst into the stage (relax - by this point daddy’s little girl had been replaced by a dummy).

The song melded into popular ballad “Only Women Bleed”, where Calico returned to the stage for a ballet solo. Frankly, it would have been a lot more touching if the mix did justice to Alice’s vocals.

The next few songs – “Steven” and “The Ballad of Dwight Fry” – continued as medleys, as the vaudeville/horror movie-style theatrics continued. Alice beat up a baby (aka a plastic doll) and was put in a straitjacket and taken to the gallows.

Admittedly, in today’s violence-soaked world, the show’s theatrics are in danger of being on the naff side; it’s pretty hard to shock Gen X or Y. Still, the sight of Alice with a noose around his neck did manage to send a lukewarm chill down my spine. There’s no denying this guy is the consummate showman.

A ringing bell signalled “School’s Out” as Alice and his band sent enormous tic-a-tape filled balloons careening into the audience. And that’s when he spoke his first words for the evening – “Good night Perth, thank you”.

Of course, it wasn’t the end. At the crowd’s insistence he returned for the customary encore, delivering mega-hits “Billion Dollar Babies”, “Poison” and “Elected”, where he shouted out “Alice Cooper, the next president of Australia” as he held up our national flag. The screaming crowd – me among them – roared its approval.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)