ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Ferenc Puskas Stadium, Budapest 20th July 2007
© NOL.hu / Kovács Bence with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tom Russell in the UK & Ireland Return to archive
7th July 2007 08:52 AM
Barney Fife Another chance for you, Gazzy!

Date: Saturday, July 28, 2007
(All day or non-timed event)

Category: Concert

Description

TOM RUSSELL with Michael Martin
Belvedere House
0818 719 300
www.midlandsmusicfestival.ie,
www.ticketmaster.ie

Phone: 0818718300

More Info: http://www.ticketmaster.ie

Location Details

Midlands Festival
Belvedere House
Mullingar Meath Ireland
----------------------------
Date: Sunday, July 29, 2007

Description

www.thesouthwillriseagain.co.uk

Phone: 08700 601420

More Info: http://www.thesouthwillriseagain.co.uk

Location Details

South Will Rise Again Festival
Dorset UK

---------------------
Date: Monday, July 30, 2007
Start Time: 7:15 pm

Description

Tom Russell with Michael Martin

Phone: 01622 744481

Location Details

The Soul Cafe
Maidstone
--------------------
Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2007
Start Time: 8:00 pm

Description

Rounder Records 01273 325440
Octave Records 01273 473611

Phone: Rounder Records 01273 325

More Info: http://www.WeGotTickets.com

Location Details

The Anchor Inn
Barcombe UK
--------------
Date: Thursday, August 2, 2007
Start Time: 7:30 pm

Description

Phone: 01798 345128

More Info: www.petworthfestival.org.uk

Location Details

Leconfield Hall (Petworth Festival)
Petworth West Sussex UK
-------------

Date: Friday, August 3, 2007

Description

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 01647 433859

Location Details

Chagford Village Hall
Chagford UK
---------------
Date: Saturday, August 4, 2007

Description

Phone: 01395 568521

More Info: http://www.ottertonmill.com

Location Details

Otterton Mill Summer festival
Otterton UK
--------------------
Date: Monday, August 6, 2007
Start Time: 7:30 pm

Description

Phone: 0870 4444 400

More Info: http://www.crhmusic.com

Location Details

St. Bonaventure's Club
Bristol UK
----------------
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Description

Phone: 0191 230 4474

More Info: http://www.jumpinhot.com

Location Details

The Cluny Theatre
Newcastle UK
-------------------
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Description

Phone: 0114 2 789 789

More Info: http://www.sheffieldcityhall.co.uk

Location Details

City Memorial Hall
Sheffield UK
-----------------
Date: Friday, August 10, 2007

Description

Ticketmaster 01463 234234

Phone: 0870 169 0100

More Info: http://www.tartanheartfestival.co.uk

Location Details

Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival
Inverness Scotland
------------------
Date: Saturday, August 11, 2007
Start Time: 7:00 pm

Location: Acoustic Music Centre at St. Bride's (Fringe Festival)

Description

Location Details

Acoustic Music Centre at St. Bride's (Fringe Festival)
Edinburgh Scotland
-----------------
Date: Sunday, August 12, 2007

Description

Phone: 0116 233 3111

Location Details

Summer Sundae Festival
De Montfort Hall and Gardens Granville Rd.
Leicester UK
-----------------
Date: Monday, August 13, 2007

Description

WeGotTickets.com

Phone: 020 7372 7123

More Info: http://www.theluminaire.com

Location Details

Kilburn - The Luminaire
London UK

------------------
Date: Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Description

The Bronte Centre
Tom Russell with Michael Martin Tickets: 028 4062 3322

RATHFRILAND, NORTHERN IRELAND
-------------
Date: Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Description

The Errigle Inn
Tickets: 028 9064 1410/www.realmusicclub.com

BELFAST, UK

-----------------
Date: Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Description

The Errigle Inn
Tickets: 028 9064 1410/www.realmusicclub.com

BELFAST, UK

-----------------
Date: Thursday, August 16, 2007

Description

Heart Beat Live @ Rugby Clubhouse
Tom Russell with Michael Martin
Tickets and infos: 057 9341822

TULLAMORE, IRELAND

http://www.calendarwiz.com/calendars/calendar.php?crd=tomrussellschedule&op=cal&month=8&year=2007

7th July 2007 09:08 AM
Gazza Errigle Inn on 15th August? Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot this time!
7th July 2007 09:21 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Errigle Inn on 15th August? Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot this time!

Cool. Hope it works out for you.

He's one of the best lyricists on the scene today in my opinion and his performances are consistently very good to excellent - no "off" nights that I have ever witnessed or heard about.

11th July 2007 12:29 AM
Barney Fife 2006 Cambridge Folk Festival

13th July 2007 11:39 PM
Bovine49 http://www.joenickp.com/music/tomrussell.html

Songwriter helps lead the fight against development
The Dallas Morning News
BY JOE NICK PATOSKI
December 12, 2003

EL PASO - Tom Russell can lay claim as the "last" singer-songwriter in Texas. That's because he lives in a historic 70-year-old adobe home on 3 acres within spitting distance of the New Mexico state line.

The Los Angeles native, whose folk songs have been covered by the likes of Johnny Cash, Nanci Griffith and K.D. Lang, has lived in many corners of the world - Nigeria in wartime, Austin as it was emerging as a music scene, San Francisco and Brooklyn. But he now lives in the far end of far West Texas by choice.

The rural area is known as the Upper Valley, a swath of green bordering both sides of the Rio Grande for a mile or two as it meanders through the Chihuahuan Desert. The rugged western flank of the Franklin Mountains, the southern end of the Rockies that end in the heart of the city, provides a scenic backdrop.

"This is the last oasis in West Texas," says Mr. Russell, 55. "It's a refuge for heron, desert tortoises, egrets, raccoons, skunks, badgers, you name it. I have foxes walking through my yard every day."

But the days of Mr. Russell's idyllic retreat may be numbered. Progress in the form of two-story stucco houses built to their lot lines - crammed into subdivisions, five to eight homes per acre - are marching his way at a fast pace, with requests by developers for city zoning variances leading the way.

The first skirmish came last year when Mr. Russell and five of his neighbors managed to reroute massive overhead power lines that were proposed to run directly over their homes.

A controlled access highway completed two years ago to link Interstate 10 with Santa Teresa, N.M., has been a magnet attracting subdivisions, which in turn are attracting commercial developments.

Farming on plots of land less than 100 acres was already in decline in the Upper Valley, as it is everywhere in the United States. The sandy river-bottom soil is certainly productive enough. But the cost of planting, growing and harvesting crops, and increased competition from other countries add up to food and fibers being grown somewhere else.

Factor in what Mr. Russell sees as a city leadership overly supportive of growth and development at the expense of residents, and the Upper Valley becomes vulnerable. It is one of the few green spaces remaining in the metro area.

Yet those who support growth and development say that El Pasoans need housing and that it is being provided under the rules and guidelines set forth.

"Ownership of property is one of our basic rights in America, and it cannot be vulnerable to opposition without good cause," says Rex Smith, a landowner who purchased Upper Valley property a year ago and immediately sought a zoning variance from the City Planning Commission. "Progress happens, and it cannot be stopped."

Susan Austin, the City Council member who represents the Upper Valley, pushed for lower-density housing rules after initial protests. But she - along with the majority of the council - also voted to approve Mr. Smith's application for higher-density housing. That has prompted one of Mr. Russell's neighbors to mount a recall campaign of Ms. Austin.

Even if she has been the object of much wrath, Ms. Austin calls the activism of Mr. Russell and his neighbors "as passionate as any neighborhood group in my district."

But she pointedly adds that they should put their money where their mouths are. "A lot of people want to preserve the idea of having a ranch-size homestead without having bought a ranch-size homestead, including Tom Russell, " Ms. Austin says.

"Some of the people all over me don't even live in the city. They live in the county" - outside the city limits. "The city can regulate. There are no zoning restrictions at all in the county."

Seeking inspiration

Mr. Russell came to El Paso seeking the same sort of inspiration that artists such as Tom Lea and Luis Jimenez and writers such as Cormac McCarthy and Benjamin Saenz have mined so well. "He always loved places like this," says his sister Nan Lazzaretto, a schoolteacher.

Mr. Russell's home is a hideout of sorts, in the outlaw tradition, tucked behind a wall of trees, high brush and cane that suddenly materializes among the fields of cotton, chili peppers, pecan plantations and pastoral horse farms that define the Upper Valley way of life.

"I love that there is no scene here," he says as he doffs his cowboy hat to reveal a head of graying, wavy hair. "I don't have to worry about being seen."

Unlike Brooklyn, where he lived for almost 20 years before moving here six years ago, "people here are pleasant and neighborly," he says.

"Downtown El Paso is like a movie set. It's like things have never changed. I love being close to Mexico. I love the history. The Old Spanish Road up to Santa Fe is right down here. I grew up on Marty Robbins' 'El Paso' and the tales of gunfighters." As it happens, Rosa's Cantina is not too far down the road.

Sometimes friends stop in. Dave Alvin drops by whenever he's on his way from his home in Los Angeles to gigs in the southern United States. So does Ramblin' Jack Elliott.

A few years back, Mr. Russell hosted a border-town birthday bash for songwriter and visual artist Terry Allen that drew a gaggle of like-minded professional dreamers. Not everyone gets it. The late folk legend Dave Van Ronk, whose last recording was backing up Mr. Russell, likened El Paso's dry summer heat to being "in a pizza oven."

Cowboy songs

Mr. Russell started writing, singing and playing originals more than 30 years ago, inspired by hearing his older brother sing cowboy songs and seeing Bob Dylan perform "Desolation Row" at the Hollywood Bowl in 1964.

He taught criminology in Nigeria from 1969-70 during the Biafran war , then followed friends he made in Africa to Vancouver, British Columbia. A band performing Hank Williams songs on Skid Row moved him to think: "That's the job for me." He landed in Austin in 1974 during that city's nascent era as a music scene. Later, he drifted to San Francisco before landing in Brooklyn in the early '80s.

He shifted his focus to writing ("I'm a frustrated novelist," he says) and drove cabs to pay the bills. When he sang a song he'd written called "Gallo del Cielo" to one fare - the composer Robert Hunter, who collaborates with the Grateful Dead - he was encouraged to get back on stage.

Life in El Paso has suited him just fine. His adobe hacienda is filled with Mexican pickled-pine furniture and folk art. He just finished an open, Mexican-style patio. He has incorporated the landscape and local history into his work.

The critic John Swenson called Mr. Russell's ambitious 1999 song cycle The Man From God Knows Where as "close to a Homeric treatment of American history as we're ever likely to see." Two years ago, he released Borderland, which includes "When Sinatra Played Juarez," a song inspired by his ex-girlfriend's uncle.

The uncle, who found the house Mr. Russell lives in, used to play piano across the border when Juarez was a hotbed for quickie Mexican divorces. The location also satisfies Mr. Russell's jones for bullfighting and his love of the border, although twice he's found himself caught in the crossfire of warring drug gangs in Juarez.

Mostly, though, Mr. Russell's place offers refuge from a steady touring schedule that over the past half-year has taken him to Ireland, the United Kingdom, Scandinavia, Calgary and Edmonton in western Canada, and across the United States from Oregon to Maine - including an appearance on The Late Show With David Letterman, backed by Nanci Griffith in support of his latest album, Modern Art.

Small victories

Mr. Russell and five neighbors have won some small victories in their effort to ward off more developments. Last summer, they successfully lobbied the City Planning Commission to reduce zoning density from R3A zoning, which allows up to eight homes per acre, to R2A, meaning lots can accommodate no more than five homes per acre.

That may be the best outcome possible, says Elma Carreto, the chairwoman of the Planning Commission. She says she sympathizes with Mr. Russell and insists the commission's goal is to make sure planned developments conform to the existing area.

She says existing infrastructure, including roads, bridges, police, firefighters and schools, are not prepared to handle the traffic that 2,500 new homes bearing families will bring. But she can go only so far, she says.

While Mr. Russell's songs classify him as a folkie, he is not known for political broadsides. His body of work tends to speak to larger philosophical issues, such as aging and loneliness. That makes his anti-development activism all the more unusual. "I don't have any political bent," he explains. "I don't write protest songs."

Instead, he has written letters, called the local chapter of the Sierra Club (the voice on the other end of the line urged him to play at a weekly meeting), attended planning commission and council meetings, and spoken out. "This is not a left-wing or right-wing argument - it's right or wrong," he says.

"There's no real plan for this area. They just want to develop here while the interior of the city begs to be redeveloped. The leaders don't see the big picture. They just want to develop, develop and develop until there isn't anywhere left. We don't need another 7-Eleven. There's a Circle K a quarter-mile down the road. Lowe's and McDonald's will be next. The prognosis is pretty sad.

"You don't do this to farmland. You don't do this to your children. It's corrupt thinking."

His heels are dug in deep. "I'll take my stand here," he says. "Maybe import some donkeys and ducks and pigs, and no one will want to live next to me. I'm talking with some folks about buying up some land to keep it in farming. Other than that, I'm planting a lot of trees."

The dilemma has moved him to also do what he does best. "I'm thinking about writing a song about all this," he says. "Only it's going to be from the point of view of a fox."

http://www.tomrussell.com/index_flash.html

13th July 2007 11:45 PM
Bovine49 From Tomrussell.com:

Russell's roots song-cyle, "The Man From God Knows Where," released in 1999, was called by John Lomax "one of the most important folk records ever recorded." The record featured Iris DeMent, Dolores Keane, Dave Van Ronk's last recordings, and a cameo recording of Walt Whitman. Rolling Stone and UPI-syndicated-journalist John Swenson stated: "Russell is one of America's greatest songwriters . . . this record is as close to a Homeric treatment of American history as we're ever likely to see . . . when somebody is looking for the equivalent of the Harry Smith anthology in the middle of the next century, The Man From God Knows Where is what they'll discover."

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)