ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

AWD Arena, Hannover - 19th July 2006
© Niedersachsen NDR2 Radio thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Another fall from dimension Z - Stones in Milan, July 11 2006 Return to archive
15th July 2006 12:01 PM
FotiniD Warning: Very LONG review guys. Sorry if it's tiring! Feel free to skip the silly parts. I can't stop talking about it once I start

I'm finally home and I think it's time to write that review about the European tour opener night in San Siro.

It's a good thing you guys have seen lots of great photos from the gig, cause if you expected mine you'll be dissapointed The moral lesson of this whole experience is: don't be afraid AGAIN to ever take your good camera or video camera with you at a Stones gig. At least not in Europe! Nobody searched our bags, nobody checked our stuff, we could have brought the nice camera with the zoom lens and return with great photos. Instead we took a one-use camera with us and the photos are... well... dreadful but either way, it's the experience that counts!

So, my sister and I arrived in Milan Monday afternoon. After a total of about two days on the road (as said, our plane fright made us travel by boat instead) we were too tired to even attempt to go round the hotel the Stones were staying, so unfortunately, all we could do was sleep.

BEFORE THE GIG

Next day however, was a totally different matter. We woke up early enough (9 o' clock) and I was wondering whether it'd be best to camp outside San Siro or wait it out - and then I saw the press conference pics on Rocks Off That did it baby! So we scrap the plans for a whole day outside San Siro and we decide to take a chance and go by the Principe de Savoia hotel, in case we catch a glimpse of the boys.

We're there by ten o' clock and there's a small group of people gathered, some Italians and - now that's a surprise - two Greeks! I didn't think there'd be more of us

Here's me and my sister Angela:

The couple of other Greeks told us they'd heard the Stones were expected to leave the hotel at about 15.30. We wondered if it'd be too late to reach front row by then, but what the heck, we risked it anyway. More people started gathering - among them a group of CRAZY and lovely banner-waving Argentinians (with their mum ), which you may have caught at the news if you watched the videos covering the show - and the long waiting started.

The first one we saw from the Stones camp was Bernard, who left early in the day taking a taxi. Then some minutes later Michael Cohl, the Devil himself emerges from the hotel and starts walking towards the exit, next to where we were standing. I start thinking of all the times I've cursed him and written all those... positive... things about him so I'm smiling like an idiot, ready to burst into laughter, but Mr. Cohl seems to think I smile to greet him, so he says "Hello!". Well, hello, how about the Athens gig you thief, and the extraordinary tickets and all the greediness you have stuffed in there, you miserable old... Yeah, I just said "hi"

We spotted Blondie as well, one of the Italians tried to approach him for an autograph but he went back to the hotel.

By the way, here's the hotel:

It was about 1 or 2 o' clock when we see what looked like a woman looking at us from that place I have circled in Blue(yeah I know I can't draw). The Argentinians go wild (they were the first to spot all window sightings!) and we all get up and start screaming. About ten minutes later, what looks like a familiar face shows up in the red window. I can't be certain, cause the distance from up there to where we were was longer than it seems and the guy was careful hiding behind the post, but I think it must have been Keith, 99%. The damn window was closed and we could only see him behind the glass. Nevertheless, we all start screaming and waving like mad, then things are calm for another hour or so. Finally a blonde woman looks at us from the green window and Keith re-emerges from that one for a few seconds, but that's all. The rooms didn't have a balcony either, don't think that helped.

At that time another Greek approaches us (boy we were many!) and he's actually a reporter covering the event for a well-known Greek magazine. He likes my t-shirt and he writes our names down, so there come my 15 minutes...well, 15 cm of paper fame

I had printed a t-shirt with the sketch of Keith on the coconut and the phrase "Don't fall off your perch again honey!" underneath. An Italian girl also liked it and took a photograph and as we were standing in the rails outside the hotel a camera crew also took a close shot of it! I don't think I've felt more embarassed in my whole life, haha Anyway, it was fun.

It's about 16.30 to 17.30 when things start happening. Two policemen in motorbikes arrive (a van full of policemen was already there from the morning). The first van leaves with Chuck Leavell, Blondie, Bobby Keys and I guess Lisa Fischer (the glasses were dark, so it was hard to see).

And now the real fun starts Ronnie shows up from a window on the first floor, the Argentinians run wild and after a while he gets out with Jo and they embark on the first mini-van. They don't wait around to greet us, but we all wave at Ronnie and he's smiling, very happy.

A quarter of an hour passes. Now we're all pretty agitated, standing on the rails and waiting:

Two mini-vans are parked outside the hotel's entrance. And then I spot L'wren coming out! "MIIIIIIIICK!" I start screaming, top of the lungs mum, and I didn't feel bad for behaving like a 15 year old for a second Mick indeed follows L'wren, holding his camera and shooting us waving at him. He waves back and enters the van. A few seconds later out comes Keith - I don't need to describe to you how I reacted in this particular moment. I still wonder how on earth I didn't jump the rails and go after him, beserk mode and all Well, I did manage to keep some decency, Keith waves, enters the other van and we all run to the other side of the exit to catch them there.

Here's the outcome:

The van is ready to exit...

And here is... Well, it IS Mick if you look on the far left side of the picture, really really close Sorry for the awful pictures, let me stress again for those who still have any doubts left: ALWAYS bring your good camera along.

Boy, but I'd love to see that tape of Mick's with all us nuts people screaming like maniacs

Along comes Keith's van, but unfortunately we didn't catch any photo of him - the lens just hit the window glass and shot our reflection. The Argentinians think it wasn't enough and they start chasing down the vans, my sister thinks it's a great idea and starts chasing as well, I follow of course, but hey, we were on foot, so... But it was fun baby. Immature and crazy and completely pointless, but fun as hell.

We all missed Charlie somehow

And so, breathless, happy and CRAZY we catch the bus for San Siro.

THE GIG

Well, we arrived there just half an hour before Feeder came out I was preparing myself that at this time we'd probably end up in the back of the Prato 1 area, but as it turned out, we managed to be about 10 rows behind the front row! I'd say, amazingly good, considering the time we got there AND the fact we landed on Ronnie's side at first and had to go round the whole San Siro stadium to reach Keith's side.

It was another hot night in Milan, I read somewhere that the temperature reached 42 degrees C, but trust me, no-one gave a damn. Feeder were nice, but I always think the supporting band is a pretty ugly job that someone's got to do, alright. 9 times out of 10 it's just a time filler. The people can't wait to see the main act, the crowd doesn't know the support act's lyrics and songs most of the time... It is kind of dull. However they did play good (even asked for a sing-along, but I think that was just blind optimism )

The usual haf-hour of cleaning the stage, writing the songs near Charlie's drum set. I had to blink to believe it was really hapenning again.

Then the on-stage seats being filled up.

And then it happened.

Ten minutes past ten and the screen starts showing its version of the Bigger Bang theme. Explosion and then - Keith, God almighty, Keith playing the opening chords of Jumping Jack Flash.

After all those months of speculations, surgery rooms, silly newspaper articles and endless rumours, the man himfself was up on that stage doing what he does best: playing his guitar.

I don't think I can convey you how this felt. Larger than life really. For one thing, their slogan says it best: it's more than a concert.

As I said in a previous post, I won't take ANYONE saying they didn't rock San Siro like it was their very first or their very best time. You could see it in Keith's eyes the man was something more than happy to be back. You could feel how the whole band embraced this feeling as well. Yes, technically, it sucked. The sound was AWFUL and although all the Italians kept asking for "Volume" it didn't get much better. But did it matter at this point if they were a little less loud than they should be?

No way. We were all taken into another level and I mean that for the casual fans as well. My sister never liked them much, but she was dancing and singing just as I did and saying "they're amazing, they're Gods". And they were.

I won't go saying it was Keith's night or Mick's night or all that - It was the Stones' night and a great, amazing "welcome back" for Keith. You should all have been there. I insist that this must have been one of their best gigs in the 90's - 00's yet.

During IORR the screen showed Mick from the video making his way into many other Stones videos, including Waiting on a Friend and I thought it was a great idea and very touching to be honest. All this flashback. LSTNT was a pleasant surprise and yes, the Italians loved SOL as you might expect, with the commercial and all. It didn't sound that bad really. I actually preferred it to ONNYA live, but perhaps it was the sound problems.

A roadie brings a stool on stage and Keith comes forth - I start wondering, hey, is he going to do his set NOW? But no, he just sits down, Mick joins him and they start doing "As Tears Go By" in Italian. Man! I kept hoping they'd play that but everybody else I had spoken to kept saying they probably wouldn't. Mick's italian singing was funny, but the feeling, the whole feeling of it all. Keith sitting there playing his acoustic quitar... The sixties feel of it. I tell you, I don't think there's ever been another Stones gig so full of feeling, at least not in the last twenty years.

And then they play a haunting version of Midnight Rambler, quite influenced by the full moon Especially from the middle one, it sent us all in a trance. It was of course my very first time listening to "The night time is the right time" live and all this groove fits them so well! And Lisa sure nails it down baby. That woman's got an incredible voice (though I'm sure the gentlemen noticed other incredible assets as well ) She was amazing.

And behold, here comes Keith's set. And yes, he did say the old "nice to be here, nice to be anywhere" thing but I think he felt it this time in a whole different way. He also said he missed us, congratulated the Italians on the World Cup and burst into "Before they make me run".

I don't care if he screwed up one or two chords. I don't care if he forgot one or two lyrics. How ungreatful can those people be, starting to roam just one day after the gig, on various message boards on how Keith is a disgrace and should change and all that shit?! You got a guitarist who happens to be in his sixties man, the guy underwent a brain operation and ANYONE in his place could have chosen to stay home and stay rich by the royalties alone. Instead he takes the stages again. Yes, he'll screw up at the very first gig. And nothing's different really, he's been known to be this way since the seventies! Cut him some slack for Christ's sakes.

I'm not saying they're perfect. Neither am I one to worship anything they say or do and you guys know it. But to be in such an endless whining mood after the very first gig?! Enjoy it, God damnit, it's an extra! Can't these people see?

Who cares, I did enjoy it just as well and I had a huge smile on my face when he forgot the lyrics, just as he did. Slipping Away was sweet and lovely. I was in heaven, just singing along and looking at him doing his thing. Our band's on stage again. Things are back to normal.

And the flying b-stage, wow! Liked this one! Especially when they made their return and the b-stage was about to reach the main stage, but Keith took two steps towards the crowd, kneeled down and played that guitar. Jesus Christ. I can't put it into words.

Sympathy for the Devil, the stage turns red, Mick wears a funny coat and a hat and boy, is he in another dimension too. I don't know what possesed him that night. The man was on fire! You could see it in his face. I love it when he goes out of control and plays as he feels, and I had been waiting for this for such a long time... God, do we need operating rooms to get this?

Brown Sugar with the "yeah, yeah, yeah - woo!" - always fun.

You Can't Always Get What You Want. But hey, you get what you need. I was singing it and it never felt truer than at that very moment. You do get what you need.

And then Satisfaction and then there it goes... Such bitter-sweet feelings. However, for a strange reason, this didn't feel like the end of it - I had such thoughts last time round in Milan, don't know why, thought another tour would be hard to get... But now, even if the stakes are all against us, I do feel we may be in for some more. Who knows, we'll see.

[b] AND SO... [b]

+ The band was on fire. Don't let anybody fool you. Mistakes included. It's a LIVE gig, if you don't like mistakes, fuck-ups and improvisations, then just stick to the studio version. They were on fire.

+ You could feel the love for Keith, coming from all, from the three other Stones, to the backing musicians, to the people. You could just feel it and it was great. You could also see how happy the man was.

+ Great opener. I haven't read the reviews for Vienna yet, but if it was half as good as Milan, then yes, it was great.

- The sound. It had something to do with San Siro's rules to keep the volume down, duh... It's the Stones, they're playing in front of 80.000 people, do you expect them to keep it down? Many times all you you could hear was Charlie's drums and the people singing and a rough mix of the guitars.

- The whole World Cup part. Yes I'm happy the Italians got it. Sure thing, congratulations, great and all that. Now, why do the Stones need to show videos of the goals on the main screen? And let's say they did that, did Del Piero and Materazzi have to get on stage IN THE FINAL BOW?! This was the God damn opener. This was the first gig after Keith's adventure. Do they have to come out at that VITAL point and steal the thunder?

Not to mention I got very very angry with the crowd at this time, cause the whole World Cup thing got more of a cheering reaction than Keith's set Yes, I understand it's precious for you, but show some respect for crying out loud.

Ok, that's out of the system

Some videos I took with my dad's mobile. Not too good but I wanted to share those with you! They play with Quicktime on my PC, otherwise you may need a 3gp player.

http://rapidshare.de/files/25895461/MOV00006.3gp.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/25895503/MOV00007.3gp.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/25895671/MOV00008.3gp.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/25895773/MOV00009.3gp.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/25895865/MOV00010.3gp.html

Here's to a thousand more nights like that...

* Thread title inspired by Robert James Waller.
15th July 2006 12:37 PM
LadyJane I don't think you'll be surprised to read that this post brought many tears to my eyes.

For just a few minutes I was there with you. There is simply nothing like experiencing this Band.

You represented us...ALL of us, my dear Fotini. Thank you.

xx00
LJ.

15th July 2006 12:45 PM
Phog Nice work!
15th July 2006 01:48 PM
Dick Bush A great, full-flavored report of the event!

My personal thanks for your cosy work!!

15th July 2006 01:54 PM
Gazza Jesus, Fotini - you might at least have made an effort...

fucking brilliant. Great reading
15th July 2006 02:52 PM
ShesARainbow That was a beautiful review.
Thank you for posting!

15th July 2006 02:52 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Great review!

I just got home from a 2 weeks holiday in Spain. Just 2 more weeks before the Amsterdam gig...
15th July 2006 02:54 PM
Nellcote WICKED PISSAH READ!
Salud!
15th July 2006 03:46 PM
pdog Great post, great writing, great experience you had, and it was fun for me to read!
15th July 2006 04:41 PM
Poplar awesome. thank you.
15th July 2006 08:54 PM
GotToRollMe Reading that just now, I felt like I was there with you too, and I felt the emotions behind the words. A great review of a great night. And Fotini, the pictures aren't bad at all (nice shots of the lips!) Thank you so much - that was a real pleasure to read. I'm so happy everything worked out for you and you got to see this very special show. Five stars, baby!
15th July 2006 09:52 PM
RSRTG That was great, I need to see them again and experience the experience!
16th July 2006 07:18 AM
corgi37 Lovely review. I wish we had the inflateable tongue when they were here.
16th July 2006 10:01 AM
Bitch Thanks for posting FotiniD! It's a great review and you are lucky to have seen the European opener! So glad you caught them at the hotel first, that was a very cool. You wrote an insightful review, esp the part about the imperfections in the show. That's what makes each show special and unique, and I also get annoyed when I see people complaining of a sour note or a forgotten lyric or a messed up riff. You know the STONES have always been sloppy yet brilliant at the same time. That's what makes them so special!

Great post!

16th July 2006 11:16 AM
Madafaka Thank you so much for your review!
Awesome!

And sorry for those Argentinians, If they did you anything!
16th July 2006 12:37 PM
maumau thank you
16th July 2006 05:28 PM
Soldatti Great review Fotini.
Thanks for posting it.
16th July 2006 07:51 PM
PartyDoll MEG Fotini....What a great review. You captured the essence of the Stones experience..and why we all keep going back for more.

And your pictures were awesome.

Thanks, ROCC Sistah!!!
16th July 2006 10:17 PM
jaggergurl Fotini, that was absolutely thrilling to read, gooseblimps and tears and just lots and lots of smiles

Thank you so mcuh for sharing that with all of us... I think I am going to read it again, it is fantastic!!
16th July 2006 10:28 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Fotini, that was a good cure for insomnia LOL...

No just joking... that was such a great review that now I have second thoughts and will check if I can go to Europe, my plan was for Barcelona

Glad to read you had such a great time...

Love ya!
17th July 2006 02:40 AM
FotiniD
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Fotini, that was a good cure for insomnia LOL...

LOL, I bet, I almost fell asleep writing it myself

Thanks everyone, glad you liked it.

Damn, bad memories stick in your mind like glue, while good ones slowly become like a haze... Not even a week has gone by!
17th July 2006 09:08 AM
SweetVirginia
Thank you for taking us there!

Brilliant review.

SV
17th July 2006 10:51 AM
tumbled Fotini thank you that was a great to read. Thanks for the adventure! The scene was perfectly described I felt like I was there, so much fun. The full moon always makes for a great show especially outside. wow.
17th July 2006 10:59 AM
Factory Girl Thank you for a great review, Fotini D.
17th July 2006 02:19 PM
claudiomoraleida Are you Chris Robinson's sister ???????
17th July 2006 05:39 PM
ahgrro Hi Fotini
thanks for the excellent report from the opening night in San Siro.
I missed As Tears Go By sung in Italian by Mick.

Check your PM
Aggelos
17th July 2006 06:03 PM
SheRat great review, ROCC sistah!

I, too, at many moments, felt like i was there and it definitely described what it's like to be at a Stones show. I was particularly reminded of waiting around in Chicago before the show...while the opening acts were on, drinking with the other Summiters (LJ, TomL, Nanky, etc.)

Good times. Oh, wouldn't a European Summit be cool? Of course, we are denouncing egon...
17th July 2006 06:05 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Aggelos

υποδοχή

A warm welcome to another Greek friend here... I like it!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)