ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

AWD Arena, Hannover - 19th July 2006
© Niedersachsen NDR2 Radio thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan 11th July 2006 - Setlist, Photos and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
12th July 2006 10:55 AM
jb
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Hard to judge from stills but Mick in particular looks like he's really into the show with much gusto & attitude. The fans look stoked. Italy is a great (Stones) country!

Macca played to 500k and U2 much more popular;fortunately, with excitement of World Cup and delay in Euro tour, we were able to almost completely fill it up and the crowd(despite low volume) mwas very much inti it, for the most part(this is directly from my friend Gelato who attended).
12th July 2006 10:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

Macca played to 500k

erm, Macca played for free

How many other Stones shows on this entire tour have pulled in 65,000 paying customers?
[Edited by Gazza]
12th July 2006 10:59 AM
maumau hi all! i'm back home
i have already posted a "kind" of review on IORR
so i am going to repeat myself here
I was front row keith side (just under that italian flag with the tongue - actually you could see my and my wife's foreheads -
most striking notes are:
1) average age > no more then 25 around me, with lots of teenagers spaced out and screaming
2) sound problems for us in front of the stage for many songs, while - as some people told me after - in other areas the sound was very good
3) MICK JAGGER, some of those photos above gives you the idea of how much he was into it last night, he was in trance from the very beginning, never seen him like that neither live nor in tape, a mad dog, since i could not hear him in the beginning i concentrated on his face, expressions, moves, he was going nuts. An italian newspaper this morning writes that he was "vampirizing" the energy and enthusiasm of the crowd giving it all back with his performance. That was it. Mesmerizing. Kids around staring with their mouths open when they did not scream push and jump on me
4) Another things journalists nailed this morning about the concert was that everyone used the term "lava" or "lavic" to describe in particualr "midnight rambler" but also the whole concert
5) Keith f§*ed up a lot but, looking closely to him i must say that i think he was moved, he was emotionally involved, i can understand
6) The crowd was nuts from first note to last echo of satisfaction
7) the show was not open I talked after with two guys that were on the second ring. They went up there to see the show with calm and sitting they end up standing jammed as if they were on the front row. They said: "they must have sold more tickets than seats.." Truth is, i think, that people who were supposed to "sit" on the wing of the third ring just decided to go to the center to see/hear better....
8) SOL was "trembling" but well "translated" into a live guitar ballad (that is: no fake strings from chuck). Crowd went (once more) nuts and covered mick with singalong
9) "Con le mie lacrime" (and also UMT) gave the show a sixties flavour
10) It was not my best stones show musically (exspecially for the absurd sound problems) but certainly was a hell of a tribal rite.
11) Highlights: Mick, Midnight rambler (as usual), Start me up, Con le mie lacrime, and, dare I say, SOL....
12) Ronnie, from the moment i started to actually hear his guitar he was FABOLOUS
12th July 2006 11:00 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

erm, Macca played for free

Last time the Stones tried that me thinks bout 1.5 million or more strolled over..We take back seat to no-one!
12th July 2006 11:06 AM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Last time the Stones tried that me thinks bout 1.5 million or more strolled over..We take back seat to no-one!

Free or not, Macca /Beatles alwasy have ruled Italy(same for U2). This was a nice show with a good crowd...this is to be expected from Euro opener....German dates will be more telling....also, Keith was OK from what I heard...he was not "on fire" as was the case on some of the shows we saw in NA...hopefully, in time, he will feel more confident.
12th July 2006 11:12 AM
Martha I can tell from the (incredible again thanks Gypsy and crew) shots of Mick that he was full-on into the zone. h yeah.....

Shit.....I miss them!

:-)
12th July 2006 11:13 AM
maumau
quote:
jb wrote:

Free or not, Macca /Beatles alwasy have ruled Italy(same for U2). This was a nice show with a good crowd...

sorry jb, i was there...the crowd was not "good". the crowd was insanely nuts - too much for my taste if you like to know - and, as said above, we did not left it open
the show was musically 7/10 but deserve, imho, a 10/10 as a tribal rock rite
12th July 2006 11:23 AM
jb
quote:
maumau wrote:

sorry jb, i was there...the crowd was not "good". the crowd was insanely nuts - too much for my taste if you like to know - and, as said above, we did not left it open
the show was musically 7/10 but deserve, imho, a 10/10 as a tribal rock rite

\
I am happy that the crowd was enthusiastic...here in the US, most attendee's look as though they haven't taken a crap in a week.....The euro crowds, to their credit, alwasy more lively and much younger than US. Musically, 7 out of 10 is aa "C"=average . As I said, while MJ is more or less alwasy on, Keith and Ronnie are often MIA. Moreoverf, RW seemingly is alwasy low in the mix, even when he is playing well. Keith is usually somewhat consistent and the mistakes are so plentiful, that they are not even noteworthy anymore. You see, when Keith had MT, he could focus primarily on holding down the rhythm and he was the best......Since atleast 89, he has become much more of a showman than a player, with mixed results.....still very happy they are back and you were indeed at a very historic show last night....ciao!!!
12th July 2006 11:33 AM
maumau to be honest 7/10 is due much to the sound problems (i think the sound guy should be fired really!) so I can't tell you exactly what the first songs sounded like.
After that, when the sound improved, it was the sound of the crowd that make it hard to judge the performance. Still I've heard Keith f***d up a lot! But Ronnie, what I've heard of him, was superb
12th July 2006 11:35 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff bella mau!
ma è vero che JJF e' iniziata con una mega stecca? io ho sentito una caciara immensa!
va beh,mi vegogno a dirlo, l'ho visto al tg5...
tanto ora al san siro ci faranno le partite della B
E' vero, dalle foto Mick sembra indiavolato, dev'essere stato da paura
lucky guy
Fabio
12th July 2006 11:41 AM
maumau tu al tg5 hai sentito una caciara immensa, io lì sotto il palco a 3 metri da keith non ho sentito nulla. a dire il vero in quel momento la maggiore preoccupazione era non volare per terra e morire calpestato da 14enni indiavolati e strafatti...
12th July 2006 11:41 AM
jb
quote:
Fabio Hot Stuff wrote:
bella mau!
ma è vero che JJF e' iniziata con una mega stecca? io ho sentito una caciara immensa!
va beh,mi vegogno a dirlo, l'ho visto al tg5...
tanto ora al san siro ci faranno le partite della B
E' vero, dalle foto Mick sembra indiavolato, dev'essere stato da paura
lucky guy
Fabio

Agreed...

I also urge all of us on Rocks-Off to buy Golden Circle tickets this fall to ensure we can all be together at concerts, but more importantly, win tour gross. These seats shoyuld be rows 5-15 at prices from $500 to $1500. Rememebr, they owe us nothing and we are once aGAIN privileged to have them come back one last time...We owe it to them to pay higher prices and let them go out on top....Perhaps Pug can organize this is each city and those attending will work together to buy these tickets first...
12th July 2006 11:52 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Heloooooo everyone

And with a huge smile on my face, as guessed

I don't think that there's anyone who attended last night's gig and left without feeling breathless. If I hear ONE person saying they didn't absolutely ROCK last night, I'm going to slap him / her

They're back babies, and they're back with a mighty roar. This IS a bigger bang tour and there's a reason it's called that way. Please don't wait for an ordinary review for me just yet because I still don't know how I function but baby... did they rock or what!

I've heard and seen my fair share of bootlegs, audio and video. I haven't seen Mick being so out of control and the REAL him since I don't know when... definitely not in the nineties / 2000's. When Keith came on stage you could feel how glad he was to be back. And they all clicked like they had just stopped playing live yesterday, not some months ago. The tigers baby. The lions.

Long live the Rolling Stones. Don't miss out. Sell your house if you have to. Go see them live. It's worth every little penny of the ticket price.

P.S. Promise more when I return babies, and possibly some good photos. Right now I'm thrilled, in a Z dimension and utterly exhausted, more than ever.

P.P.S. Paula, I tried smsing you and it looked like the messages were sent! Didn't you receive anything? When I tried calling I got a message in Italian which I didn't quite understand.

Fotini! I'm so happy you got to see such an AWESOME show. As you can see, you were in our thoughts yesterday. Enjoy the buzz, baby...you deserve it!

12th July 2006 11:53 AM
roadster32 OK here we go again on the road (oops that was another band but anyways)

After the world tour start in Boston, now the european opener.

After MSG Jan. 20 2006, a long break in between, Milan was our 11th show on this tour.

After all that we've been through in the past months, we have to state it loud and clear - the chicken skin is back when keith and the rest of the boys enter the stage. What a great feeling. No other band can do this.

We arrived at San Siro at 1:45 p.m.. There were already lots of people there. Spent some time at the heinecken bar and met some nice fans there. At 3:30 p.m. we went to the entrance of prato 1-2. The organisation there was pure chaos. We managed it somehow to get in in a relatively short time by climbing over the barriers. Once we got in and after buying some merchandise we went to prato 1 and recognized that we were on Keith's side. There was no possibilty to get on Ronnie's side. After long and hard discussions we found a very friendly and helpfull italian guy of the staff who took us two to Ronnie's side. Thank you very much again. We found a great place just in the middle between the main and the B-Stage just two rows in front of the "Catwalk".

After that it was waiting, waiting, waiting......

Then the boys hit the stage.

The sound

The sound wasn't horrible at all because there was no sound at all until the last chords of Oh No, not you again.

Then they turned up the volume after loud and numerous shouts of the crowd "vo-lu-me".

Streets Of Love was great and very much appreciated by the audience.

Con Le Mie Lacrime a once in a life time experience. An italian guy next to us said "grande - en italiano - mamma mia (clutching his hands to his face)". Couldn't agree more.

Keith set was Keith set. Nothing more to be said and this is not meant negative.

Under my Thumb great to hear that after years again. The beginning was a total mess but it turned out great.

Conclusione

The whole show was a mess, but that doesn't mean it was great, an experience we won't miss.

If you want something perfect go and buy a cd or dvd, don't go to one of the shows. But if you don't go to the shows you'll miss something that you'll regret for the rest of your life...

THE GREATEST ROCK'N'ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD.

and

Thanks to one of the greatest audiences we have so far experienced. Thank you Italy at San Siro.

Thank you Boys for a human, not perfect european opener.

Can't wait for Munich, and the whole of the UK. Hopefully more to follow. You're to unique to stop.

Birgit and Hermann
Munich
12th July 2006 11:57 AM
jb As we said, last night would be very shaky and uneven. Nonetheless, with euphoria for World Cup, you could have put a French patomime performer on stage and the crowd would have gone wild....greay crowd and good timing=successful Euro opener....(gross should be near 4.2 million for show).
[Edited by jb]
12th July 2006 12:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
maumau wrote:
most striking notes are:
1) average age > no more then 25 around me, with lots of teenagers spaced out and screaming

6) The crowd was nuts from first note to last echo of satisfaction

join the dots, folks

Overpriced tickets = old, corporate audiences who dont know the material and have a low boredom threshold

Thanks for reviewing the show for us, maumau, Fotini, Roadster and everyone else
[Edited by Gazza]
12th July 2006 12:18 PM
jb A sasm but necessary fact Gazza. Without us(US of A) fat cats paying the big bucks, Europe would be impossible....they make their money here, and that subsidized the rest of the tour....
12th July 2006 12:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
As we said, last night would be very shaky and uneven. Nonetheless, with euphoria for World Cup, you could have put a French patomime performer on stage and the crowd would have gone wild....great crowd and good timing=successful Euro opener

Nope....Italian audiences are well known for being wild and enthusiastic. You should try them sometime. They dont need a World Cup win to prove that.

as for "great crowd" - I thought you said it was "wide open" ?
12th July 2006 12:20 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
A sasm but necessary fact Gazza. Without us(US of A) fat cats paying the big bucks, Europe would be impossible....they make their money here, and that subsidized the rest of the tour....

wrong. Theyd still make a shitload of money and a massive profit if the tickets were even half the price that they are. Other major acts dont seem to be losing out and running at a loss despite charging far less money.

Plus, they could also sell more tickets.
12th July 2006 12:21 PM
jb It was wide open for a few months leading up, and then after last weeks cup win, became narrow....tickets were still available as of yesterday AM....It was at or near capacity by show time....
[Edited by jb]
12th July 2006 12:25 PM
Gazza Theres a cultural difference between one country and another. Some countries tend to have a slower initial uptake on all concerts than others, and a greater percentage of 'walk up' fans who decide to go at short notice

As can be seen from the way ticket distribution has 'worked' on this tour, there hasnt been any great advantage in grabbing your tickets the moment they go on sale. At these prices and with venues this big, theres always plenty of opportunity to get better value tickets nearer the time.

Italians like to do things slowly!
[Edited by Gazza]
12th July 2006 12:32 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Theres a cultural difference between one country and another. Some countries tend to have a slower initial uptake on all concerts than others, and a greater percentage of 'walk up' fans who decide to go at short notice

As can be seen from the way ticket distribution has 'worked' on this tour, there hasnt been any great advantage in grabbing your tickets the moment they go on sale. At these prices and with venues this big, theres always plenty of opportunity to get better value tickets nearer the time.

[Edited by Gazza]

The German shows are somewhat open.....they will need huge opening act(like AC/DC) to fill some venues....sadly, the Swedish show and Belgium shopw, which were both essentially sold out, got scraped!!!
12th July 2006 12:52 PM
gimmekeef Sure beats the Crowes 16% dont it?........
12th July 2006 12:52 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
maumau wrote:
the crowd was insanely nuts

European crowds rule.

US crowds suck. Not only do they suck, but they suck the life out of the show. While the European crowds go nuts and make the shows more enjoyable.

The Euro crowd are freaks - they help create a really fun, enthusiastic R&R atmosphere. They create a feeling that the party has officially started! Sort of like when the circus comes to town... picture barkers and colored balloons.

perhaps Joey could elaborate on this more...
12th July 2006 12:59 PM
maumau jb is right when he says it was still open the day before the show
still, we closed it
that happens usually here in italy, and not just because of the joy for the cup
maybe just vasco rossi and u2 sell out days before the show
12th July 2006 01:02 PM
jb I think the Euro audiences are much better hands down....much younger, more enthusiastic, and much more into it. The US demographics/price structure , while necessary, results in a more well-heeled crowd,more concerned with being seen than watching the show. While I certainly could be called "well-jeeled", I am replsed having to, for the most part, sit among a mass of human protoplasm who have no interest whatsoever in the band....They look at me as though I don't belong b/c of my unbridled enthusiasm at the shows, not awre that I can buy and dispose of most of them...........We(USA) are good for the wallet, but a terrible audience(and New York is no different from any other crowd I experienced-nothing special whatsover).
12th July 2006 01:19 PM
Egbert
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Other than driving...
12th July 2006 01:23 PM
jb MY masserati is on order!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am very excited about this and will take possession in early o7!!!!!
12th July 2006 01:31 PM
Pierre

12th July 2006 01:34 PM
Saint Sway whats that guys singing??? please tell me this wasnt another duet of Wild Horses!!!

see:
www.cuijian.com
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)