ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

AWD Arena, Hannover - 19th July 2006
© Niedersachsen NDR2 Radio thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live album Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
8th July 2006 10:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
The shows have been fun, albeit no serious musicianship. Last great Stones =73

I don't know, but the second show of this tour in Argentina under the rain was MAGIC. I don't see many people crying of happiness so often.
If we speak about technical, the last great tour was on 1995.
8th July 2006 11:45 PM
pduff101 I think the main problems the Stones have had since Voodoo Lounge tour have been stale setlists, less than stellar stage/screen, and Ronnie's complete ineptitude with the guitar. Voodoo Lounge was great because the stage was fantastic, the band sounded better than ever, and they played a diverse list of songs. Keith playin' "The Worst" is always a show-stopper. Bridges to Babylon was just okay. Nothing spectacular stage-wise, bound sounded great as well, though Mick's is weaking a tad. The Licks tour was better stage-wise, but the vast eree of venues they played was astonishing. Circus Crown, Budakhan, Fillmore East, Olympia, etc. Twickenham was a groundbreaking for that arena. The setlists were pretty regimented, despite the fact that there were no new numbers to play. Can't You Hear Me Knocking was played the first time, Monkey Man, and a few other songs that had either rarely or never been played live. The only problem with this and the current tour "A Bigger Bang" is that Keith and Ronnie, especially Ronnie, have lost a little of their edge. Keith's running on rims vocally, but he still belts it out on Happy with ease. The solos for SFTD and HTW just aren't quite as strong as they were in the past. Same for Satisfaction. Mick isn't what he used to be and can't sing worth a shit anymore. Keith, Charlie, Daryl Jones, Chuck, and the rest can still put on a kickass show every night though. Keith can still hit the riffs and Charlie is always spot-on. There may not be any gadgets or props or pyro anymore, but it's the Stones, on stage, in top form (as is today) for 2.5 hours a night. What else can you ask for?
[Edited by pduff101]
9th July 2006 12:05 AM
pduff101 My only issue with having a live album is I want to have songs on there, which I can download and share, that I would like to. I don't really care about the standards, though they would have to be on there. I always wanted a live version of The Worst, Let's STNT, Rain Fall Down, Happy, You Got Me Rocking, Night time..., Get off my cloud, etc. Mainly, The Worst. Rain Fall Down sounds really off the Japan super arena show (4/2/06), You Got Me Rocking is seen on No Security, but sounds a lot edgier on this tour. Start Me Up fits that mold as well. I'm tired of jjf, icgns, my, iorr. They don't need to be on here. Put on mostly deep tracks with a couple standards like Start Me Up, Gimme Shelter, Got Me Rocking, sftd, and you're set. 2 discs is better than one after all. Either they do this or put out a couple of DVDs, one of which has to be Rio, the other who knows. Basically, I just live versions of songs I've never heard, that's all, and I want to play them on my ipod to, big boy.
9th July 2006 03:59 AM
ListenToTheLion ever heard of bootlegs?
9th July 2006 05:42 AM
Jumping Jack "Mick isn't what he used to be and can't sing worth a shit anymore."

WTF????????????????
9th July 2006 05:44 AM
Gazza
quote:
pduff101 wrote:
I think the main problems the Stones have had since Voodoo Lounge tour have been stale setlists..

Keith playin' "The Worst" is always a show-stopper.

Bridges to Babylon was just okay. Nothing spectacular stage-wise..

The Licks tour was better stage-wise, but... the setlists were pretty regimented,

Mick isn't what he used to be and can't sing worth a shit anymore. Keith, Charlie, Daryl Jones, Chuck, and the rest can still put on a kickass show every night though.

There may not be any gadgets or props or pyro anymore

but it's the Stones, on stage, for 2.5 hours a night.

+++ BLANK FRIGGIN' STARE +++
12th July 2006 11:42 AM
pduff101 You know, I think this whole live album topic was a big mistake. FORGET ABOUT IT
12th July 2006 07:30 PM
pduff101
quote:
Gazza wrote:

+++ BLANK FRIGGIN' STARE +++

pduff1o1:
This is my problem with these message boards. Most of you people have nothing better to do than to argue about a fucking rock band. I appreciate the discussion (all I'm looking for), but I don't appreciate the slander. FYMF

Look pal, the reason why Live Licks is a good live album is this. Most of the Stones live albums before 1990, with the of the exception of "Ya-Ya's," are basically a drunken baboon singing over rock music. The Stones were a mess on tour and it showed in the recordings (Love You Live, etc.). Still Life is pretty good, but Mick's performance rips the tracks to shreds. After this, Flashpoint is outdated and contains such classics as Sad Sad Sad, Can't Be Seen, and Rock and a Hard Place, all from the lame Steel Wheels album. Stripped would be the best, but it's not a live album, they just say it is. No Security is fine, but songs like Flip the Switch and Memory Motel bring it down a touch. Live Licks has good versions of all the standards, along with tracks like Monkey Man, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Rocks Off, Happy, and Keith's The Nearness of You. Yes, the editing is there on Brown Sugar, Happy, Nearness, and especially Rocks Off. Brown Sugar is weak on this album, it's barely noticeable on Happy and Nearness, and even though it's painfully obvious on Rocks Off, it doesn't destroy the song. It's a letdown, but the song still rocks. Plus, like the previous 3, the band is sober and in top form, unlike the 70s and early 80s. While the studio albums have gotten weaker, the live albums have gotten stronger. The dvds are better anyway, so why should it matter? For me, these albums are just filesharing material.
12th July 2006 07:30 PM
pduff101
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
"Mick isn't what he used to be and can't sing worth a shit anymore."

WTF????????????????

pduff1o1:
This is my problem with these message boards. Most of you people have nothing better to do than to argue about a fucking rock band. I appreciate the discussion (all I'm looking for), but I don't appreciate the slander. FYMF

12th July 2006 09:53 PM
Gazza
quote:
pduff101 wrote:
You know, I think this whole live album topic was a big mistake. FORGET ABOUT IT

then if youre so sensitive about being disagreed with, asswipe, why prolong the issue like a fucking crybaby, send abusive e-mails and post abusive messages because you cant deal with a few people not agreeing with you.

You're an arse.

quote:
pduff101 wrote:
Look pal,

Some chickenshit keyboard hardman who calls me a 'motherfucker' behind the safety of a computer is not my 'pal', cunt...

quote:
pduff101 wrote:
This is my problem with these message boards. Most of you people have nothing better to do than to argue about a fucking rock band.

your wife tells me different

[Edited by Gazza]
13th July 2006 05:59 PM
Bitch Personally, I don't give a fuck about what a bunch of you assholes are saying to criticize the greatest R&R band, the beloved RS. I don't care what songs are on the live album, or how it's produced, edited or thrown together. WHATEVER THEY PUT OUT, I WILL BUY IT GUARANTEED. I WILL LOVE IT FOR A THOUSAND YEARS!

So all of you experts kindly shove your negative comments up your asses!

IMO* they butchered Rocks Off on Live Licks.
13th July 2006 06:04 PM
Gazza slight contradiction in your last sentence and the rest of your post.....

No one claims to be an "expert" any more than you or anyone else. Who you calling an asshole?
[Edited by Gazza]
13th July 2006 06:38 PM
Bitch I'm not calling anyone specific an asshole, just a generalization to everyone who posted negative comments, such as: worst tour, too many live albums, wrong songs, nothing new, etc. I don't like everyone complaining about what we get from the RS. We shouldn't take them for granted at this point.

I added my last comment saying they butchered RO on LL just to show I don't think the albums are perfect, and I still know the diff. between the good and the bad, but I'm glad to have the new CD's anyway they decide to present it. The RS have never been perfect, thats one of the reasons many of us love them so much.
13th July 2006 06:56 PM
Gazza thank you, my dear

I dont think anyone takes them for granted, but we all have expectations and standards of a band we've all been proud to follow and support for many years. I think thats the perspective most people come from when they find fault in something. No one likes to see the band do something thats beneath their status or greatness - and putting out a live album that theyve never listened to is an example of that (as is authorising a release of 'Rarities' that includes several songs that are easily found on multi-million selling albums)

Its all pretty minor detail when you think about it. The passion for the music is still there for pretty much everyone, but if everyone thought everything was 100% wonderful, life would be less interesting. As fans we're not half assed about our commitment to the band and their music. Its natural to want and expect them to still feel as committed and to be a bit disappointed when they dont seem as interested

You might be very enthusiastic about yet another live record from this tour, but a lot of people dont think thats a good idea because they dont sell and they think there are other ways of putting out a souvenir of the tour which would be more successful and reflect better on the band and their legacy. Pretty reasonable basis for a discussion without it getting overheated and personal, I'm sure you'd agree.

[Edited by Gazza]
13th July 2006 07:05 PM
Bitch Yes Gazza I agree, BUT I was sent a live DVD from Buenos Aires and it rocks and kicks ass after several plays. Who cares if KEEF hits a sour note and MICK goofs up a line or 2 or RONNIE misses a riff? CHARLIE IMO is the only perfectionist! It's still great stuff overall! Imperfections are what makes each live album and live show unique. That's one reason why I never get tired of the RS.
13th July 2006 07:14 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:
You might be very enthusiastic about yet another live record from this tour, but a lot of people dont think thats a good idea because they dont sell and they think there are other ways of putting out a souvenir of the tour which would be more successful and reflect better on the band and their legacy.

thats the key ^

they can/need to put out a better product in terms of a souvenier from the tour

the Four Flicks DVD was excellent and well done IMO. A nice package from the tour. A product that will hold up well thru the years.

Live Licks just felt more like a quickie

I'd like to see them do another DVD package from this tour. They could include "onstage" views and other goodies like bonus footage from the Press Conference, Toronto club show, Rio gig etc that well represent the highlights of the tour
13th July 2006 07:31 PM
Altamont
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

thats the key ^

they can/need to put out a better product in terms of a souvenier from the tour

the Four Flicks DVD was excellent and well done IMO. A nice package from the tour. A product that will hold up well thru the years.

Agree. They need to do more innovative releases like 4 Flicks, and not another tired live cd.

4 Flicks was a good package at a decent price.
13th July 2006 07:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Live Licks just felt more like a quickie

I'd go further and say that Four Flicks was the most brilliantly realised, assembled and executed release issued under the Stones name since Some Girls. I wouldnt change a frame of it. Its absolutely wonderful.

and Live Licks was the most pointless and poorly assembled release of their entire career (even though the performances were fine)

and yet one is basically an edited audio soundtrack of the other - thats the thing

One smells of quality and the other reeks of cash-in. The Stones are too great a band to be associated with the latter.

[Edited by Gazza]
13th July 2006 07:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Yes Gazza I agree, BUT I was sent a live DVD from Buenos Aires and it rocks and kicks ass after several plays. Who cares if KEEF hits a sour note and MICK goofs up a line or 2 or RONNIE misses a riff? CHARLIE IMO is the only perfectionist! It's still great stuff overall! Imperfections are what makes each live album and live show unique. That's one reason why I never get tired of the RS.

Buenos Aires is a fun show (although personally I preferred Rio musically). Couldnt care less about musical perfection and its always nice to see a new pro shot DVD - especially if they were to actually release a full show officially

However, for me, an hour of songs released on an official CD that are heavily and pointlessly edited and with multiple overdubs is pretty redundant. Especially when they do it from every tour. As someone who collects pretty much every show I can get, I dont really get tired of the band's music either, so if I want something to remind me of what the tour's highlights were, Ill listen to a well recorded boot or watch a well filmed DVD (I'll take Rio or Buenos Aires thank you very much). Live albums are played out and hardly anyone buys them, which is why I personally think they should give them up as a bad job, and just release a DVD instead. Look at the sales of Four Flicks!
13th July 2006 08:21 PM
Soldatti Still, Live Licks sold well over 500k worldwide. Four Flicks was a great seller in US, but it was not promoted worldwide. In some markets (believe it or not) the DVD is a growing format.
Here Four Flicks is very expensive, it didn't sell over 500-1000 copies for sure. Live Licks went gold (20k) in a month.
In Europe Four Flicks didn't make the Eurochart Top 100 at all (the DVD's are charted on the albums chart) while LL went Top 20 and it's still a good seller in several countries.

I think that they should release a CD/DVD of this tour in separate ways, I bet that the DVD sales will be good in the States and the CD will be the good seller worldwide.
13th July 2006 08:47 PM
Gazza Four Flicks was sold at a special price in the US at BestBuy. I think they had an exclusive deal, and it retailed at some incredibly low price like $20 or something

Over here the retail price was around £45, which is what youd normally expect to pay for a 4-DVD boxed set of anything. Thats about 4 times as expensive.

Considering all that, it sold remarkably well.

Live Licks was in bargain bins within about 6 weeks. Thats the only reason why its sales werent a complete disaster and continue to be respectable. However, its revenue is a different story.
[Edited by Gazza]
13th July 2006 08:51 PM
Altamont
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Four Flicks was sold at a special price in the US at BestBuy. I think they had an exclusive deal, and it retailed at some incredibly low price like $20 or something

Over here the retail price was around £45, which is what youd normally expect to pay for a 4-DVD boxed set of anything. Thats about 4 times as expensive.

Yeah, if I remember right, I got 4 Flicks at Best Buy for around $25

Ya can't beat that for a four dvd set!
13th July 2006 08:54 PM
Gazza Damn right - to get it perspective, thats pretty much exactly what youd pay in the shops in the UK for a full price single CD!
13th July 2006 08:56 PM
Saint Sway I could care less about sales. Forty Flicks was a quality product. Well thought out and well executed. Great package. Loaded with goodies.

I consider it the upper echelon of live music dvds. And thats what the Stones should shoot for. They should be the standard bearers, the ones that raise the bars.

whatever they release, be it dvd or live cd or some combe in between, it needs to be well thought out and packaged nicely with plenty of goodies for die-hards and casual fans alike.

but NO Live Licks/Still Life type toss-offs!! We deserve better and their legacy deserves better.
13th July 2006 09:24 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
but NO Live Licks/Still Life type toss-offs!! We deserve better and their legacy deserves better.

Agreed, it's time for a combo CD/DVD release.
14th July 2006 04:39 PM
Egbert Aren't both Live Licks discs 20-30 minutes shy of being full? That's wrong - if you're gonna charge $24 for the set then fill 'em up. I think LL would have been more viable had they managed to include all of the never-before-officially-released-live tracks played on that tour. But then what to put on Biggest Mistake B-Sides...
14th July 2006 04:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Aren't both Live Licks discs 20-30 minutes shy of being full? That's wrong - if you're gonna charge $24 for the set then fill 'em up. I think LL would have been more viable had they managed to include all of the never-before-officially-released-live tracks played on that tour. But then what to put on Biggest Mistake B-Sides...

the original track listing that was published had about 33 songs. They dropped about a third of the songs that were shortlisted

Of course, 33 songs wouldnt fit onto two 80-minute discs unless there was some serious editing done to many of them. The finished album was something like 110 minutes, leaving 50 minutes of space and several songs still edited when there was no longer any need to do so.

Quite obvious from the abomination of the song-that-dare-not-speak-its-name, that they just dropped a few songs and left the original edits intact
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)