ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Press Conference to introduce Mick Taylor as the new Rolling Stone
Hyde Park, London June 13, 1969

Photo by Peter Stone
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Meters Return to archive
07-09-02 09:12 AM
Jumacfly Hi folks
i m looking for news about The Meters.
i know they were the openers for the 76 tour.
I really like New orleans funk and soul,as Lee Dorsey or the great Doctor John,and i d like to know more.
So, if you got advices, good records to buy or to hear, please tell me....
I know this is not about the Stones but I know you re all fans of good music, so I hope you ll reply me!!

Cheers

ps: What would be IYO the worst opener for the stones..or do you remember the worst opening band you ve seen ????
07-09-02 09:26 AM
scope Can't help you about the Meters, but as for the worst opener, it's hard for me to imagine anything worse than Fiona Apple at MSG for the B2B tour. Made the big mistake of getting there a bit too early.
07-09-02 09:50 AM
Nasty Habits As far as the Meters go, I like their first, mostly instrumental albums the best. The American "Sundazed" label put them all out recently, with bonus tracks. The self titled "Meters" album has Cissy Strut on it, which is their "signature tune". "Look a Py Py" is also a very cool Meters album - probably my favorite. It was originally released in 1970.

The Meters often backed Lee Dorsey up, in particular on a tragically un-reissued late 60s classic for Mercury called "Yes I Can", which is an astonishingly funky record.

For an extremely deft and consistent look at New Orleans funk, I can highly recommend a couple of fairly new collections on the English "Soul Jazz" label called "New Orleans Funk" and "Saturday Night Fish Fry". Both comps. have a number of Meters backed and inspired New Orleans 70s funk cuts that really deliver the sound. Lee Dorsey, Dr. John, and New Orleans soul queen Irma Thomas (original performer of Time Is on My Side - obligatory Stones content) all make appearances.

By far the worst opener for the Stones I ever saw was Blues Traveller in Chicago '97. But I missed Blind Lemon in '94 and the Goo Goo Dolls in '99 deliberately, so I don't really have any room for comparison.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
07-09-02 10:11 AM
stonedinaustralia jumacfly - the meters!! - now you're talking my language - what nasty h said and also you have to check out "cabbage alley" and don't miss "fiyo on the biyou"

the compilations "cissy strut" and "trick bag" are also good places to start

also "nevillization" (sp?) is live and therefore a whole other thing but again fantastic (imo)

aaron's ep "orchid in the storm" has some great re-workings of old '50's stuff - that shit just about breaks my heart

go for it... you'll love it and contrary to what you said there is plenty of "stones content" in there...it's just not so obvious

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
07-09-02 11:08 AM
Jumacfly Thanks a lot guys!!!

Nasty, i discovered this music with these two records : "saturday ..."and "new orleans funk and soul"...!!!!
great grooves, wonderful sounds : doc John, Allen Toussaint (toussaint is also my name!), lee dorsey...

this label "soul jazz records" got really good sound in their catalogue , have you heard "studio one "
, their reggae stuff??
it killls: dawn penn, jacky mitoo, the skatalites, many good band...well, i love this label!!

thank you too stonedinaustralia, i ll also check this "neville sounds"!!!

I print your posts and go to the Cd shop 'right now!!

Stones fans: you re the greatest.

Cheers

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road